Gen 5 BW UU - VoltTurn Hazard Stack

Last month, I decided to try out BW UU as part of the RoA ladder, as well as the accompanying Swiss tour, and I decided to build this team to try out. After a good amount of laddering, I really enjoyed how this team functions, since it forces progress on the opponent with powerful attackers supported with hazards, and the ability to bring in these attackers over and over throughout the game.

:bw/gligar: :bw/roserade: :bw/empoleon: :bw/raikou: :bw/flygon: :bw/mienshao: (Link)

The Team

:bw/gligar::eviolite:

Gligar is great for this team for a few reasons: it is the best check to Fighting-types on our team, carries U-turn to bring in the powerful attackers on the team, and acts as the team's Stealth Rock setter. Combined with its Eviolite bulk and Roost, it forms the backbone of the team, which it needs considering how dangerous the Fighting types of the tier are and how threatened the rest of this team is by them. There were times where I considered moving Stealth Rocks off of Gligar and onto Empoleon (who currently serves an offensive role), but in the fashion in which this team is constructed, Rocks need to go with Gligar.

:bw/roserade::black-sludge:

Roserade acts both as my absorber of Water-type attacks (namely Scald), as well as the Spiker for this team. Giga Drain and Rest + Natural Cure gives it some longevity, when it'll be tasked with coming in and Spiking throughout the battle.

:bw/empoleon::choice-specs:

Empoleon probably doesn't need to be Specs, but here I wanted a mon that a) checked Kingdra and b) dealt out good damage. While Lax could have filled that role, I went with Empoleon since it has a better defensive typing.

:bw/raikou::choice-specs:

Running two Choice Specs attackers isn't ideal for this team, but I realized at this point that the team wouldn't be able to Spin nor spinblock if I continued trying to pair pivoting with Spikes. I decided for the rest of the team to focus on what worked well: offense and hazards. Specs Raikou was a good fit here since, even though it is affected by Spikes while Zapdos isn't, it isn't weak to Stealth Rock and checks Zapdos and other Flying-types itself. I also went Specs because I felt that a Calm Mind set couldn't afford to fit Volt Switch on its set.

:bw/flygon::choice-scarf:

U-turning with Spikes down is one of the most tried-and-true strategies in Pokemon, and Scarf Flygon immediately came to my mind as a revenge killer and cleaner. The issue with using Scarf Flygon on such an offensive team like this is that I tended to get ripped apart late-game by Scarf Mienshao. Other than that, Flygon performed well for the role in my team.

:bw/mienshao::life-orb:

Ordinarily, Fighting-types aren't good abusers of Spikes since Flying-types switch into them. However, U-turn made Mienshao work well on the team, while also giving me an element of Fighting-type offense that was characteristic of the UU tier. It also helped that early-game, my opponent wouldn't be able to tell whether Flygon or Mienshao was the Scarfer, and I could play with the information advantage.

Other Options
Giving Empoleon a bulkier set would solidify this team's matchups against Kingdra. It could also then become the team's Stealth Rocker, allowing Gligar to run a move like Toxic or Knock Off to really pile on the damage to opposing teams.

Making Mienshao the Choice Scarfer on the team makes the team better against opposing Scarf Flygon and Mienshao, although risking my matchup vs Mienshao to a speed tie isn't ideal.

I was also recommended using Ice Gem on Raikou over Choice Specs to power up HP Ice to sting opposing Ground-types. However, I never had the chance to test this and so I mostly just used the Specs set.

Threats

:bw/kingdra:

DD Kingdra was an irritating threat that could just cleave through my team's lack of bulk. Making Empoleon bulkier could help alleviate this, in conjunction with Roar to force Spikes damage onto it.

:bw/hitmontop:

While a Rapid Spin Blastoise isn't the end of the world because Roserade sits on it, Roserade deals with Hitmontop worse and so I struggle to keep Spikes up against it. I would just need to get my Special Attackers in as Hitmontop enters or Spins in order to threaten big damage onto it.

Replays
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5uu-1853788678-60bglc22amlnezb7cr161p2lf92zzw3pw

Overall, BW UU is a cool tier and I'm glad I got to build for it.

Last edited:

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hi

late reply but i hope youll appreciate this anyway :-)

big changes

:raikou:
your team is exceptionally weak to subcm raikou. if it ever gets a free switch into any of gligar, rose, kou or empo youll be in a very awkward position all of the sudden. so, instead of specs kou i recommend using an aoa variant w roar to account for this and other electric type threats (triple choice item is quite ambitious anyway imo). roar also works well in conjunction w the hazard stacking approach of your team and since raikou forces a lot of switches roar will help rack up damage on pesky grounds such as swampert.

:mienshao: --> :heracross:
shao easily the most replaceable slot and it just happens that another fighting type fits much better here imo. heracross gives you a much needed switchin to swampert, an additional check to opposing fighters should gligar get worn down and a reliable wall breaker to force through fat cores that isnt screwed over by protect umbreon. i opted for a bulky leftovers set to maximize its defensive potential which is not to be underestimated either on a team like this.

small changes

:gligar:
add 56 speed ivs to gligar so you outspeed cb victini after 1 vcreate. i could also see this slot filled by swampert instead since running flygon + gligar makes you quite susceptible to hp ice elecs. in that case you might want to opt for zap>kou instead as to retain a real fighting resist somewhere.

:roserade:
if you want recovery on rose run synth>rest. being forced to switch out makes you desastrously vulnerable to prediction. personally i would go w stun spore tho as it enables your fighting type of choice much better and might catch some people seriously off guard feeling safe about status after you show spikes (as opposed to tspikes which is actually compatible w sleep powder).

:empoleon:
a lot of mons in bw uu sit around the 220 speed benchmark. since specs empo is more of a surprise set i recommend using timid to get the jump on gligar, blastoise etc before they can eq or spin. the loss in power is occasionally noticeable but i deem the added speed crucial for it to pick up important KOs.

:gligar: :roserade: :empoleon: :raikou: :flygon: :heracross:
https://pokepast.es/d98e0d2d124210d7

cheers!

After experimenting with a few variations of this team, I figured I'd throw them all in here for others to try out:
(Click the mons for the team)

:gligar: :roserade: :empoleon: :raikou: :flygon: :mienshao:
- Original team in the OP

:gligar: :roserade: :empoleon: :raikou: :flygon: :mienshao:
- Gives Gligar 52 Speed EVs to outrun CB Victini after a V-Create
- Gives Raikou Ice Gem to sting opposing Ground-types and reduce my reliance on Choiced attackers
- Gives Flygon the Choice Band and Mienshao the Choice Scarf so that I would have a faster Scarfer to make me safer vs opposing Mienshao
- Makes Empoleon an Agility sweeper so that I would have an option to sweep weakened opposing teams

:gligar: :roserade: :empoleon: :raikou: :flygon: :heracross:
- Same team as what esche recommended
- Replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5uu-1914304419

:swampert: :roserade: :empoleon: :zapdos: :flygon: :heracross:
- Replaces Gligar and Raikou for Swampert and Zapdos, giving me more flexibility vs Fire types
- Swampert is using the Defensive Tank set so that it may relay Stealth Rock and check Fires throughout the battle
- Zapdos is running the offensive set, but holding Leftovers so that it may barrage the opponent throughout the battle while getting the lack of immediate power assuaged with hazards
- Empoleon is using the Offensive Stealth Rock set (basically an offensive set holding Leftovers), but with Stealth Rock swapped out for Roar. This gives me better insurance versus Kingdra and opposing Water-types
- Replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5uu-1914299871

Last month, I decided to try out BW UU as part of the RoA ladder, as well as the accompanying Swiss tour, and I decided to build this team to try out. After a good amount of laddering, I really enjoyed how this team functions, since it forces progress on the opponent with powerful attackers supported with hazards, and the ability to bring in these attackers over and over throughout the game.

:bw/gligar: :bw/roserade: :bw/empoleon: :bw/raikou: :bw/flygon: :bw/mienshao: (Link)

The Team

:bw/gligar::eviolite:

Gligar is great for this team for a few reasons: it is the best check to Fighting-types on our team, carries U-turn to bring in the powerful attackers on the team, and acts as the team's Stealth Rock setter. Combined with its Eviolite bulk and Roost, it forms the backbone of the team, which it needs considering how dangerous the Fighting types of the tier are and how threatened the rest of this team is by them. There were times where I considered moving Stealth Rocks off of Gligar and onto Empoleon (who currently serves an offensive role), but in the fashion in which this team is constructed, Rocks need to go with Gligar.

:bw/roserade::black-sludge:

Roserade acts both as my absorber of Water-type attacks (namely Scald), as well as the Spiker for this team. Giga Drain and Rest + Natural Cure gives it some longevity, when it'll be tasked with coming in and Spiking throughout the battle.

:bw/empoleon::choice-specs:

Empoleon probably doesn't need to be Specs, but here I wanted a mon that a) checked Kingdra and b) dealt out good damage. While Lax could have filled that role, I went with Empoleon since it has a better defensive typing.

:bw/raikou::choice-specs:

Running two Choice Specs attackers isn't ideal for this team, but I realized at this point that the team wouldn't be able to Spin nor spinblock if I continued trying to pair pivoting with Spikes. I decided for the rest of the team to focus on what worked well: offense and hazards. Specs Raikou was a good fit here since, even though it is affected by Spikes while Zapdos isn't, it isn't weak to Stealth Rock and checks Zapdos and other Flying-types itself. I also went Specs because I felt that a Calm Mind set couldn't afford to fit Volt Switch on its set.

:bw/flygon::choice-scarf:

U-turning with Spikes down is one of the most tried-and-true strategies in Pokemon, and Scarf Flygon immediately came to my mind as a revenge killer and cleaner. The issue with using Scarf Flygon on such an offensive team like this is that I tended to get ripped apart late-game by Scarf Mienshao. Other than that, Flygon performed well for the role in my team.

:bw/mienshao::life-orb:

Ordinarily, Fighting-types aren't good abusers of Spikes since Flying-types switch into them. However, U-turn made Mienshao work well on the team, while also giving me an element of Fighting-type offense that was characteristic of the UU tier. It also helped that early-game, my opponent wouldn't be able to tell whether Flygon or Mienshao was the Scarfer, and I could play with the information advantage.

Other Options
Giving Empoleon a bulkier set would solidify this team's matchups against Kingdra. It could also then become the team's Stealth Rocker, allowing Gligar to run a move like Toxic or Knock Off to really pile on the damage to opposing teams.

Making Mienshao the Choice Scarfer on the team makes the team better against opposing Scarf Flygon and Mienshao, although risking my matchup vs Mienshao to a speed tie isn't ideal.

I was also recommended using Ice Gem on Raikou over Choice Specs to power up HP Ice to sting opposing Ground-types. However, I never had the chance to test this and so I mostly just used the Specs set.

Threats

:bw/kingdra:

DD Kingdra was an irritating threat that could just cleave through my team's lack of bulk. Making Empoleon bulkier could help alleviate this, in conjunction with Roar to force Spikes damage onto it.

:bw/hitmontop:

While a Rapid Spin Blastoise isn't the end of the world because Roserade sits on it, Roserade deals with Hitmontop worse and so I struggle to keep Spikes up against it. I would just need to get my Special Attackers in as Hitmontop enters or Spins in order to threaten big damage onto it.

Replays
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5uu-1853788678-60bglc22amlnezb7cr161p2lf92zzw3pw

Overall, BW UU is a cool tier and I'm glad I got to build for it.
I like this a lot, just shaymins really scary if rose goes down, same with opp raikous

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)