Resource BW Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Not a simple question but something that has always been on my mind: why is BW considered by many people to be a crummy meta? Is it too centralized on a few key mons without much room for new stuff?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Not a simple question but something that has always been on my mind: why is BW considered by many people to be a crummy meta? Is it too centralized on a few key mons without much room for new stuff?
A lot of people on the outside are ignorant and think weather wars are an overly defining characteristic that is repetitive, but in reality they seldom define games and aren’t as linear as claimed.

BW is an interesting case because it’s the first generation with team preview and it comes alongside a large general power creep and the weather distribution, so a lot of people naturally took and still take exception to it. This coupled with Aldaron‘s infamous proposal and clouded tiering decisions during the main generation left us playing a decade of catch-up since then, which has also left the tier to be dragged through the muds of public ridicule.

In reality, it’s a hectic and proactive, but enjoyable, metagame that certainly isn’t one of the worst in my eyes.

What’s up next on the chopping block? Gems were banned a few months back, I’d reckon the meta games settled down and adapted since. What’re we testing next boys?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What’s up next on the chopping block? Gems were banned a few months back, I’d reckon the meta games settled down and adapted since. What’re we testing next boys?
Nothing is currently on the radar, but we will likely resume talks after SPL, the ongoing tournament including BW OU, to see if people find anything pressing.

Why did sleep take so long to be banned? Did y’all just not realize the sleep timer was funky? Or was it a point of contention banning it?

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Why did sleep take so long to be banned? Did y’all just not realize the sleep timer was funky? Or was it a point of contention banning it?
Sleep was not a priority when we had a slew of other things to sort after BW became an old generation. Keep in mind that old generation tiering didn’t exist until decently far into generation 6 itself, we had things like Shadow Tag, Arena Trap, and speed-weather abilities to tackle, and sleep varied in both usage and counterplay over a number of more volatile metagame states along the way.

The first time anyone seriously brought up sleep, it got looked at and banned, which started with the dice PR thread a couple of years back. It wasn’t deemed pressing prior to that and really only became pressing as the metagame settled to a point where Sleep Talk roulette determined interactions and foddering things to soak sleep had to be commonplace.

FNH

F is for Finchi, N is for Nator, H is for Hater
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Why is Finchinators mini avatar for his banner not a garchomp????

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
And this bans will be forever?
What I need to do to have the possibility to vote in next election?

I have insuficient privilegy to coment in theses threads.
Suspect test eligibility in past gens is based on tournament performances. If you want to vote in past gens suspect tests, you have to get good results in a set number of past gens tournaments.

Suspect test eligibility in past gens is based on tournament performances. If you want to vote in past gens suspect tests, you have to get good results in a set number of past gens tournaments.
I get in some past gens tournaments, but I just lose all battles!:eeveehide:
So, I guess I rly can't vote, but if I could I would suspect a lot of bans!

Is there a thread somewhere on the forum here where I could read up on lando I and thundo I’s bans? Im tryna get some kind of edumucated opinion on the two

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)