move 4: Toxic
item: Leftovers
ability: Pressure
nature: Timid
evs: 192 HP / 64 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Set Description
=============
Substitute + Protect in combination with Raikou's ability, Pressure, allows it to PP stall Pokemon such as Choice-item variants of Rhyperior, Jellicent, and Arcanine. Toxic allows Raikou to more easily beat non-Rest Cresselia. Raikou should always be shiny so the opponent can't be sure it's not an Aura Sphere special attacker variant.

EVs
=============
Raikou should have maximum Speed EVs and a Timid nature to outspeed Choice Scarf Jellicent. It should also have 192 HP EVs to optimize its Substitute stalling.

Usage Tips
=============
Unless Raikou can 2HKO with Thunderbolt, it should always use its Substitute + Protect strategy to PP stall its foe. Against Snorlax, Raikou should always use Substitute on the first turn to play around Belly Drum + Custap Berry sets that lack Return. Raikou should always attempt to scout Trick from Pokemon like Cresselia and Porygon-Z by using Protect. It should then use Toxic or Thunderbolt, respectively, to give itself the best chance of winning these matchups.

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Signal Beam
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Fire
item: Choice Specs
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Set Description
=============
Thunderbolt is Raikou's best STAB move and should be used against both Tornadus formes, Keldeo, and Jellicent. Shadow Ball should be used against Choice Scarf Cresselia and offensive Latias sets. Signal Beam lets Raikou be a reliable Serperior answer. Hidden Power Grass can be used to OHKO Swampert and Choice Band Rhyperior, while Hidden Power Fire gives Raikou a better matchup against some Genesect sets. Raikou should always be shiny so the opponent can't be sure if it lacks Aura Sphere.

EVs
=============
Raikou should use maximum Speed EVs to Speed tie Jellicent with the 30 Speed IVs forced by Hidden Power Fire.

Usage Tips
=============
Raikou should almost always use the move that does the most damage to its foe. The only exception is when a Pokemon is expected to use Endure + Custap Berry. In this situation, it is better to click a weaker move if the weaker move can still 2HKO but is less likely to activate Custap Berry.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Choice Specs Raikou can also run Hidden Power Rock in its last moveslot, which lets it have a better matchup against Volcarona sets without the common Charti Berry. If a Charti Berry Volcarona does not have any Speed EVs, Hidden Power Rock Raikou will still win. Raikou can run Aura Sphere to defeat Tyranitar, which forces it to have a Rash nature. However, due to Rash Raikou being OHKOed by Water Gem- or Choice Specs-boosted Hydro Pump from Keldeo, Aura Sphere is very often not worth using.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[[Lumii, 493772]]]
- Quality checked by: [[neomon, 408904], [Itchy, 518399]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Adeleine, 517429]]

Last edited by a moderator:
[SET]
name: Pressure Stall
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Protect
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Toxic / Calm Mind
evs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Set Description
=============
Substitute + Protect in combination with Raikou's ability, Pressure, allow Raikou to PP stall Pokemon such as Choice Band Rhyperior, Choice Scarf Jellicent, Choice Specs Latios, and Choice Specs Porygon-Z. Awful to read, i think a sentence like 'pokemon that commonly run a choice item such as Rhyperior jellicent and porygon z..' Thunderbolt is Raikou's most reliable STAB move and should be used against both Tornadus forms, Keldeo, Manaphy, and non-Choice Scarf Jellicent. Toxic allows Raikou to more easily KO Volcarona and Cresselia that only have Moonlight as their recovery move. Calm Mind allows Raikou to have a better matchup against Dragon Gem Latios and offensive Latias sets. are you realistically beating any of them without toxic if you have tbolt as your only attack i dont think those are the mons that you cm on so either mention stuff you actually cm on or remove the move/sentence as a whole

EVs
=============
Raikou should have maximum Speed EVs and a Timid nature to outspeed Scarf Jellicent. It should also have 192 HP EVs, as this allows for the best HP total for Substitute stall sets that Raikou can achieve. The remaining EVs are invested in Defense to further improve its bulk? sounds like a lazy sentence.

Usage Tips
=============
Unless Raikou can 2HKO with Thunderbolt, it should always seek to use its Substitute + Protect strategy to stall out its opponent. Against Snorlax, Raikou should always use Substitute on the first turn in order to play around Belly Drum + Custap Berry sets that do not have Return as an attacking move. Against Volcarona, Raikou should attempt to use Toxic on a turn that Volcarona uses Quiver Dance. If Raikou has Calm Mind instead, it can use Substitute and use Calm Mind to best negate the Special Attack boosts that Volcarona gains from using Quiver Dance.

[SET]
name: Timid Choice Specs
move 3: Hidden Power Rock / Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Thunder

[SET COMMENTS]

Set Description
=============
Thunderbolt is Raikou's most reliable STAB move and should be used against both Tornadus forms, Keldeo, and Jellicent. Shadow Ball lets Raikou win against Cresselia. Hidden Power Rock is Raikou's best move against Volcarona, while Hidden Power Fire is its best move against Ferrothorn and non-Occa Genesect. Thunder lets Raikou have better odds to OHKO non-Choice Scarf Chandelure does anaylsis scarf chandy run max hp or some shit cause otherwise its its best option to ohko chandelure in general/ the strongest move to hit neutral targets with as a whole LOL i read the Moves section now i know why you worded it like this, green text still stands

252+ SpA Chandelure Overheat vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Raikou: 271-319 (84.4 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (discord talk, hp rock evs are not in that calc, youu still live 15/16 times if its modest)
252 SpA Choice Specs Raikou Thunder vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Chandelure: 295-348 (113 - 133.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO (obv here you get into the bulk stuff but its the hardest move to hit it with anyway especially if theres odds the chandy has bulk)

and Occa Genesect sets.

EVs
=============
Raikou should use maximum Speed EVs to speedtie Jellicent due to the 30 Speed IVs forced by Hidden Power Rock and Hidden Power Fire. It should also have 252 Special Attack EVs to have the best rolls against Occa Genesect and Chandelure with Thunder. maximize its damage output, no need to mention specific targets here, you're trying to murder stuff

Usage Tips
=============
Raikou should almost always use the move that does the most damage. The only circumstance in which Raikou should use a move that does less damage is when using another move over Thunder in order to work around Thunder's chance to miss. This can be seen in the matchup against Choice Scarf Chandelure, in which Raikou should use Shadow Ball over Thunder due to Chandelure only often using 152 Speed EVs to outspeed Latios and Latias. Since Raikou outspeeds, it can 2HKO with Shadow Ball instead of having the chance to miss Thunder twice. lets hope the gp gods dont have another stroke when they read this

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Raikou can run its Event Choice Specs set, which is forced to have a Rash nature but can also run Aura Sphere. However, due to being OHKOed by Water Gem- or Choice Specs-boosted Hydro Pump from Keldeo, it is very often not worth using. Raikou can use offensive sets with Reflect or Light Screen in order to have better matchups against Physical or Special attackers. However, these sets often lose to Pokemon that can use moves like Swords Dance, Calm Mind, or Bulk Up, which often makes it beneficial to use Substitute + Protect Pressure Stall or Timid Choice Specs sets instead.
i would not mention screens raikou as a set

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]
this is a little more to reword than usual but great work either way, keep it up :blobuwu:

Itchy

take all my data, what will you find?
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
add
remove
comments

[SET]
evs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Set Description
=============
Substitute + Protect in combination with Raikou's ability, Pressure, allow Raikou to PP stall Pokemon such as Choice-item variants of Rhyperior, Jellicent, and Arcanine. Thunderbolt is Raikou's most reliable STAB move and should be used against Tornadus, Tornadus-T , Keldeo, Manaphy, and non-Choice Scarf Jellicent I feel like you have enough examples already so I feel this is fair to remove since it's situational. Toxic allows Raikou to more easily KO Volcarona and see usage tips, this is a more complicated mu and idt it's in Raikou's favor really Cresselia that only have Moonlight as their recovery move may want to change this to mono-Moonlight or non-Rest for clarity.

EVs
=============
Raikou should have maximum Speed EVs and a Timid nature to outspeed Choice Scarf Jellicent. It should also have 192 HP EVs, as this allows for the best HP total for Substitute stall sets that Raikou can achieve. The remaining EVs are invested in Defense to further increase its bulk. where does this help? if the answer is nowhere, remove the mention here and move it to SpA. SpDef may help somewhere as well idk

Usage Tips
=============
something about why Raikou should always be shiny here
Unless Raikou can 2HKO with Thunderbolt, it should always seek to use its Substitute + Protect strategy to stall out its opponent. Against Snorlax, Raikou should always use Substitute on the first turn in order to play around Belly Drum + Custap Berry sets that do not have Return as an attacking move ummmmmm non-Return offensive Snorlax is not really something I would consider but it is the only way this set wins - I just don't know if this is worth mentioning. Against Volcarona, Raikou should attempt to use Toxic on a turn that Volcarona uses Quiver Dance +1 124+ SpA Volcarona Overheat vs. 192 HP / 64 SpD Raikou: 331-391 (89.7 - 105.9%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO - even with all of the extra EVs put in spdef, if you toxic them as they qd t1, they win by denying you a sub t3. this matchup is a bunch of 50/50s and I think that needs more explanation. If Raikou has Calm Mind instead, it can use Substitute and use Calm Mind to best negate the Special Attack boosts that Volcarona gains from using Quiver Dance.

[SET]
move 3: Hidden Power Rock / Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Thunder

[SET COMMENTS]

Set Description
=============
Thunderbolt is Raikou's most reliable STAB move and should be used against both Tornadus forms, Keldeo, and Jellicent. Shadow Ball lets Raikou win against Cresselia. Hidden Power Rock is Raikou's best move against Volcarona, while Hidden Power Fire is its best move against Ferrothorn and non-Occa Genesect. Thunder lets Raikou have better odds to OHKO less bulky Genesect sets.

A couple miscellaneous comments (this is a lot I know)
- hp rock is something I would never use with charti spam
- thunder seems like other options material for me
- extrasensory and signal beam are both useful enough to go in the third slot imo
- hp grass in the last slot or other options also may make some sense

EVs
=============
Raikou should use maximum Speed EVs to speedtie Jellicent due to the 30 Speed IVs forced by Hidden Power Rock and Hidden Power Fire. It should also have 252 Special Attack EVs to maximize its damage output.

Usage Tips
=============
Raikou should almost always use the move that does the most damage. The only circumstance in which Raikou should use a move that does less damage is when using another move over Thunder in order to work around Thunder's chance to miss this sentence can probably be much more concise. This can be seen in the matchup against Choice Scarf Chandelure, in which Raikou should use Shadow Ball over Thunder due to Chandelure only often using 152 Speed EVs to outspeed Latios and Latias this sentence can also be merged with the previous one. Since Raikou outspeeds, it can 2HKO with Shadow Ball instead of having the chance to miss Thunder twice.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Raikou can run its Event Choice Specs set, which is forced to have a Rash nature but can also run Aura Sphere I feel like here, you emphasize Aura Sphere and explain that it is from an event. However, due to being OHKOed by Water Gem- or Choice Specs-boosted Hydro Pump from Keldeo, it is very often not worth using. today I learned my raikous sometimes lose to keldeo

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[neomon, 408904], [username2, userid2 tag in my signature]]

gonna want to confirm these changes get implemented, but idt I will go over this again - pm me on discord and I'll make sure everything is ready to go
1/1 after that

finished the QC for the Pressure Stall set.

I ended up deleting the Usage Tips section for Volcarona because that's so reliant on how the opponent decides to play.

Also Itchy (this is not important and if you're on break please put this at the bottom of your priorities) I was wondering what Extrasensory and Signal Beam let Raikou win...

For Signal Beam, I can think of Serperior off the top of my head, but I think that this is a damage roll to see if Serperior can use Substitute on the turn of the second Signal Beam. However, this is just coming from the calculations I remember from Game 4 of my Premier League Week 7 matchup so this could be wrong, I should probs calculate that to be honest-

(albeit I ended up getting crit so that did not end up mattering but yea... still have no idea if extrasensory wins Choice Specs Raikou any matchups though because it just gets two Thunderbolts off on the Fighting-types anyway...)

Itchy

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Extrasensory is bad, ignore that lol. Signal Beam is very reliable vs Serperior, even if they go max SpDef, also wins vs Celebi, but is unreliable vs Shaymin. Probably could slash it with the Hidden Powers.
Usage Tips
=============
Unless Raikou can 2HKO with Thunderbolt, it should always seek to use its Substitute + Protect strategy to stall out its opponent. Against Snorlax, Raikou should always use Substitute on the first turn in order to play around Belly Drum + Custap Berry sets that do not have Return as an attacking move. Raikou should also always be shiny so that it can bluff Choice Specs Aura Sphere. as a Raikou from the special event code from the Phantom Champion Zoroark movie in Japan, which can use Aura Sphere, is always shiny.

Make sure you change the comments for the Choice Specs set if you move things around: please add Signal Beam, consider adding HP Grass, move Thunder to Other Options.

Thunder moving to Other Options would also remove it from Usage Tips, I think the Choice Scarf Chandelure mention is far too specific for a mini.

2/2 after

thanksgiving break. thanksgiving break....

(I swear I'll get it done then, just with work + uni work + hosting work, I'm just really busy rn...)

(plus something something mental health based unmotivated)

Itchy

[SET]
evs: 192 HP / 64 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Set Description
=============
Substitute + Protect in combination with Raikou's ability, Pressure, allow Raikou to PP stall Pokemon such as Choice-item variants of Rhyperior, Jellicent, and Arcanine. Thunderbolt is Raikou's most reliable STAB move and should be used against Tornadus, Tornadus-T, Keldeo, and Manaphy. Toxic allows Raikou to more easily beat non-Rest Cresselia. mention playing around trick in usage tips

EVs
=============
Raikou should have maximum Speed EVs and a Timid nature to outspeed Choice Scarf Jellicent. It should also have 192 HP EVs, as this allows for the best HP total for Substitute stall sets that Raikou can achieve. The remaining EVs are invested in Defense to further increase its damage output with Thunderbolt.

Usage Tips
=============
Unless Raikou can 2HKO with Thunderbolt, it should always seek to use its Substitute + Protect strategy to stall out its opponent. Against Snorlax, Raikou should always use Substitute on the first turn in order to play around Belly Drum + Custap Berry sets that do not have Return as an attacking move. Raikou should also always be shiny as a Raikou from the special event code from the Phantom Champion Zoroark movie in Japan, which so it can use bluff Aura Sphere, is always shiny. this is much more concise, I do not need to know which event it came from, just that it can only be shiny if it has aura sphere.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Set Description
=============
Thunderbolt is Raikou's most reliable STAB move and should be used against both Tornadus forms, Keldeo, and Jellicent. Shadow Ball should be used against Choice Scarf Cresselia and offensive Latias sets. Signal Beam lets Raikou be a reliable Serperior answer. Hidden Power Grass can be used to OHKO Swampert and Choice Band Rhyperior, while Hidden Power Fire gives Raikou a better matchup against some Genesect sets.

EVs
=============
Raikou should use maximum Speed EVs to speedtie Jellicent due to the 30 Speed IVs forced by Hidden Power Rock and Hidden Power Fire. It should also have 252 Special Attack EVs to maximize its damage output.

Usage Tips
=============
Raikou should almost always use the move that does the most damage to its foe. The only situation in which this is not the case is if there is a Pokemon is expected to use a combination of Endure + Custap Berry. In this situation, it is sometimes better to click a weaker move if the weaker move can still 2HKO.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Timid Choice Specs Raikou can also run Hidden Power Rock in its last slot, which lets it have a better matchup against Volcarona sets without the common Occa Charti Berry. If an Occa Charti Berry Volcarona does not have any investment in Speed, Raikou's Hidden Power Rock will still win. Raikou can run its Event Choice Specs set Aura Sphere, which is forces it to have a Rash nature and be shiny but can also run Aura Sphere. However, due to being OHKOed by Water Gem- or Choice Specs-boosted Hydro Pump from Keldeo, it is very often not worth using.

[CREDITS]
this is good to go :regiF:

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC): Add Comma
[SET]
evs: 192 HP / 64 SpA / 252 Spe (removed extra line break under)

[SET COMMENTS]

Set Description
=============
Substitute + Protect in combination with Raikou's ability, Pressure, allow Raikou allows it to PP stall Pokemon such as Choice item (removed hyphen) variants of Rhyperior, Jellicent, and Arcanine. Thunderbolt is Raikou's most reliable STAB move and should be used against Tornadus, Tornadus-T, Keldeo, and Manaphy. Toxic allows Raikou to more easily beat non-Rest Cresselia. Raikou should always be shiny so the opponent can't be sure it's not an Aura Sphere special attacker variant.

EVs
=============
Raikou should have maximum Speed EVs and a Timid nature to outspeed Choice Scarf Jellicent. It should also have 192 HP EVs, as this allows for the best HP total for Substitute stall sets that Raikou can achieve. The remaining EVs are invested in Defense to further increase its damage output with Thunderbolt. EVs to optimize its Substitute stalling. (192 is an unusually low number; imo specify a bit more how 192 helps it beyond just making its HP not divisible by 4. or, like, is 64 spa evs important for a particular KO(s)? if so, specify that)

Usage Tips
=============
Unless Raikou can 2HKO with Thunderbolt, like against Tornadus, Tornadus-T, Keldeo, and Manaphy, it should always seek to use its Substitute + Protect strategy to stall out its opponent. PP stall its foe. Against Snorlax, Raikou should always use Substitute on the first turn in order to play around Belly Drum + Custap Berry sets that do not have Return as an attacking move. Raikou should also always be shiny so it can bluff Aura Sphere. lack Return. Raikou should always attempt to scout Trick from Pokemon like Cresselia and Porygon-Z by using Protect. It should then use Toxic or Thunderbolt, respectively, to give itself the best chance of winning these matchups.

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe (remove extra line break under)

[SET COMMENTS]

Set Description
=============
Thunderbolt is Raikou's most reliable best STAB move and should be used against both Tornadus forms, formes, Keldeo, and Jellicent. Shadow Ball should be used against Choice Scarf Cresselia and Offensive offensive Latias sets. Signal Beam lets Raikou be a reliable Serperior answer. Hidden Power Grass can be used to OHKO Swampert and Choice Band Rhyperior, while Hidden Power Fire gives Raikou a better matchup against some Genesect sets. Raikou should always be shiny so the opponent can't be sure it lacks Aura Sphere.

EVs
=============
Raikou should use maximum Speed EVs to speedtie Speed tie Jellicent due to with the 30 Speed IVs forced by Hidden Power Rock and Hidden Power Fire. It should also have 252 Special Attack EVs to maximize its damage output.

Usage Tips
=============
Raikou should almost always use the move that does the most damage to its foe. The only situation in which this is not the case is if there is exception is when a Pokemon is expected to use a combination of Endure + Custap Berry. In this situation, it is sometimes better to click a weaker move if the weaker move can still 2HKO but is less likely to activate Custap Berry. (I imagine this makes sense?)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Choice Specs Raikou can also run Hidden Power Rock in its last moveslot, which lets it have a better matchup against Volcarona sets without the common Charti Berry. (maybe worth noting if HP rock mandates 30 spe IVs? up to you) If an a Charti Berry Volcarona does not have any investment in Speed, Raikou's Hidden Power Rock Speed EVs, Hidden Power Rock Raikou will still win. Raikou can run Aura Sphere, which forces it to be shiny and (true ofc, but all raikou should be shiny anyway I imagine, so idt its a big deal) have a Rash nature. However, due to Rash Raikou being OHKOed by Water Gem- or Choice Specs-boosted Hydro Pump from Keldeo, it Aura Sphere is very often not worth using.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[Adeleine, 517429]]
Adeleine.gif
GP Team done

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)