OU BW OU Team Building Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

FNH

F is for Finchi, N is for Nator, H is for Hater
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Voting phase is over with peng's sumission taking the win! Congrats!

:tyranitar::gliscor::ferrothorn::garchomp::latios::alakazam:

I originally planned for this week to be Heatran,but Finch and Dice mentioned on the live stream how Tyranitar's set versatility is underexplored at the moment. So this week is Tyranitar but with a catch. I am prohibiting the two "standard" sets for tyranitar: the Chople Berry, and the Choice Scarf.

NO CHOICE SCARF OR CHOPLE BERRY!

Be creative, think outside the box; there are plenty of options to utilize: Tanga Berry, Custap Berry, Shuca Berry, Focus Sash, Choice Band and so on. The goal is to find new ways to utilize Tyranitar!

Building phase ends in 7 days. Have fun everyone!

Dragon Dance Tyranitar has been a huge threat in ADV and DPP however it seems to fall short in bw due to tyranitar being needed to counter the powerful speacial threats of bw most notably latios alakazam and thundurs however with enough team support tyranitars speacially defensive roles are patched up and you can make use of the offensive tyranitar.

Teambuilding process: I needed something to replace tyranitars specially defensive duties so i chose the combo of jirachi, celebi, and spin drill this would allow me to check all the threats while also supporting tyranitar and the rest of the team i also needed something to keep momentum to allow my tyranitar to dragon dance.

Team: 1640141851639.png 1640141857092.png 1640141897842.png 1640141911617.png 1640141967375.png 1640151169138.png

Details:
1640142119090.png

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 Atk / 8 SpD / 252 Spe/ If ice beam 232 Atk / 28 SpA / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch/Ice Beam
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Lum berry is to evade burns from wisps and scalds as TTars bulk allows it to live multiple water moves it also evades heatran lava plum burns Crunch is for psychics and jellicent i has 100% accuracy no drawback making it a spammable move. You can use ice beam aswell as it will allow you to lando OH KOs vs garchomp lando and gliscor. Dark fighting coverage hits everything neutral at least so superpower was the way to go it hits many things extremely hard like ferrothorn and excadrill. Stone edge is a strong stab that can get alot of OH KOs

Calcs:
28 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 312-368 (87.3 - 103%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Jellicent: 362-428 (89.8 - 106.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 348-410 (82 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

1640143430561.png
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Wish
- U-turn

Jirachi is going to be checking all the psychics in the world with the iconic Para flinch. Lacking pursuit sucks so bad meaning latios and friends will draco bomb you all day however Jirachi has some advantages over Tyranitar its neutral to fighting allowing it to check the psychics much better it also has recovery in wish and its not forced to use chople berry so it can use leftovers you can tinker with the item however i will be going with the tried and true leftovers as it is consistent and does its job. U-turn is used to bring in Tyranitar and creates a volt turn chain with lando and celebi it also pressures the psychics.

Calcs:
252 SpA Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Jirachi: 97-115 (24 - 28.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 76-90 (17.9 - 21.2%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Jirachi: 123-145 (30.4 - 35.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

1640152771340.png

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Recover
- Baton Pass
- Healing Wish/Future Sight

Celebi will be the teams water resist this puts a huge strain on it however its reliable recovery and burn immunity will allow you to cope with it. Most of the set is standard checking thundurus and keld grabbing momentum with baton pass while evading pursuit attempts from tyranitar the interesting part of the set is healing wish into tyranitar allowing you to heal back up and go for a second round of dragon dancing. Future sight is amazing forcing damage on stuff to get stuff into tyranitar range like keldeo it also supports the other physical breakers of the team

Calcs:
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Ghost vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Celebi: 168-198 (41.5 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
48+ SpA Thundurus-Therian Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Celebi: 116-138 (28.7 - 34.1%) -- 98.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

1640144474796.png
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Hidden Power: Ice
EVs: 244 HP / 176 Def / 88 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorous is the stealth rocker ground immune blanket physical check and grabs momentum to get DDTar its abillity to keep rocks vs excadrill a pokemon that would otherwise wreck this team its kept healthy by jirachi and its wishes which usually invites in excadrill meaning landorous is not getting worn down like u might think .

Calcs:
252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 244 HP / 176 Def Landorus-Therian: 178-211 (46.8 - 55.5%) -- 19.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Sand Force Excadrill Iron Head vs. 244 HP / 176 Def Landorus-Therian in Sand: 159-187 (41.8 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Landorus-Therian U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 168-198 (55.8 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

1640144781847.png
Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dual Chop
- Stealth Rock

Garchomp is here to revenge kill everything most notably volcorona scarf garchomp is hard to fit but with tyranitar being another physical breaker it is justified here to use it. Double Rocks might seem dumb to someone who is newer to the gen however it gives me more opportunities to get stealth rocks vs volcorona and it also serves as a backup stealth rocker for excadrill when lando dies. Being able to clean up vs PsySpikes is amazing aswell.

Calcs: 252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 279-328 (89.7 - 105.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Garchomp Dual Chop (2 hits) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 276-328 (85.1 - 101.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
(don't outrage vs dnite or else u give scizor free set up)
252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Politoed: 247-292 (64.3 - 76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

1640151251322.png

Magnezone is used to remove skarmory and excadrill which are both extremely annoying for this team as skarmory walls everything and sets up those spikes i used to use excadrill on this slot however it will just get outlasted and i will auto lose after that however with this magnezone it will limit the amount of spikes on the field to two and limit skarmorys presence. Excadrill is near impossible to switch into in this team which makes life very hard ontop of removing those stealth rocks which are important to keep up to put things into DDTar range. Other than trapping those steels mag is somewhat useless and will be used for mostly used as death fodder but to its credit it can spam sunny day vs rain and absorb dragon attacks it threatens a strong thunderbolt vs water types.

Calcs:
252+ SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 72 SpD Politoed: 318-374 (83 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 238-282 (65.9 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 97-115 (24 - 28.4%) -- 96.9% chance to 4HKO

In conclusion this is one of the best DDTar sand you could probably make

Attachments

Last edited:

Gamer1234556

"Because... Scald is a shit Ferro answer!!!"
Double Pursuit Sand Balance
:tyranitar::gastrodon::zapdos::scizor::excadrill::garchomp:
Teambuilding Process:
:tyranitar::scizor::gastrodon:
The general problem with Non-Chople Tar is that without it, your team becomes weak to two very dangerous mons: Alakazam and Thundurus-Therian. Having Scizor makes up for the lack of Chople while Gastrodon pretty much walls any variant of Thundurus-Therian that doesn't have Grass Knot.

:tyranitar::scizor::gastrodon::excadrill:
Having 3 hazard-weak mons means that this team desperately needs a spinner. Therefore, having Excadrill is near-mandatory.

:tyranitar::scizor::gastrodon::excadrill::garchomp:
This team is really, really slow. Having Scarf Chomp means gives you much-needed Speed Control against opposing HOs.

:tyranitar::scizor::gastrodon::excadrill::garchomp::zapdos:
And here is where things get a bit interesting. I was originally planning to have Skarmory here until I realized that this team has some real problems with Choiced Keldeo. Having Zapdos means that you have Loom and Scizor check that doesn't have as bad of a Rain MU in contrast to Skarmory. I have to give credit to Dice for this as he managed to make Physically Defensive Zapdos work in the last year's SPL.

Team Analysis:
:tyranitar:
Tyranitar (M) @ Tanga Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave

Strangely enough, the problem I have with Non-Chople Tar is that there are so many items that Tar wants to run, but it can't do so all on the same slot. Lum? Passho? Tanga? I ended up saddling myself with Tanga since I feel like Tanga Berry is sort of decent for turning the tables against Volcarona.

:scizor:
Scizor (M) @ Fighting Gem
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Pretty standard SD set. Fighting Gem helps turn the tables on Skarmory attempting to WW you. Having Scizor means that you can actually free up Tyranitar to run something else here. If it weren't for the fact that Scarf was also prohibited I would have been able to make a HO team based around the Double Suit core I built. ;_;

:gastrodon:
Gastrodon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

Again, pretty standard. I decided to have Toxic cuz the Jelli MU can be a bit of a pain.

:excadrill:
Excadrill (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

Now I know what you are thinking, why do you have Air Balloon? Well its for a few good reasons. The biggest one is that, from observing a lot of games where Smurf HO was featured, a common trend was that teams tend to lead off with Yache Chomp with Rocks and SD. This is where Air Balloon Drill comes in as it denies any attempt for Chomp to set Rocks up. Air Balloon is necessary as it forces Chomp to lock itself into Outrage, where Scizor can come in and chip it down. Outside of this, Air Balloon Drill can also act as a decent Mamo pivot, which this team desperately needs as Mamo would otherwise tear this team apart.

:garchomp:
Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dual Chop
- Fire Blast

I have been banking on Scarf Chomp a lot lately cuz it's one of the few speed control options that isn't Pursuit-Weak. It also is one of the few reliable ways to dispatch both Zam and Volc at the same time.

:zapdos:
Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Physically Defensive Zapdos is the new wave. Ok but seriously, Zapdos is actually rather neat in its ability to check Breloom, Scizor and the Grounds (Lando-T, Gliscor and Excadrill) while having a decent overall MU against Rain. It's also the only mon in the tier with access to Electric-Ice-Fire coverage. I feel like Zapdos could use some more exploration on teams like these with its unique properties.

Overall Thoughts:
Out of all the teams that I have built so far in this competition, this is easily one of the more weirder teams I had built. Having to create a very different team structure w/o Tyranitar's most defining sets feels so surreal, but at the same time it also feels kind of satisfying since it forces me to take a more nuanced look at the meta and use stuff I would normally overlook. I haven't really tried this team out myself, but I feel like this could be a fun team to use on my spare time. If anyone is interested, try it out and share your thoughts!

Last edited:

Nalorium

is a Tutoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris the defending BW Circuit Champion
World Defender
Tyranitar used Thunder!
The Electric Gem strengthened Tyranitar's power!
It's super effective!
:scizor: :magnezone: :terrakion: :landorus-therian: :Tyranitar: :celebi:

Gm, before checking the team remember that whirlpool chomp is still not a thing. Ok so, I made this TTar said alongside Jirachee during RoaPL. The idea of a new ttar set that would break the stereotypical ttar class with Chople or Scarf was very cool. I made a team at that time that I never ended up using:
1640197574513.png
. I liked that team a lot atm but I felt it could be improved but I was too lazy to try it again until this ttar building challenge came up so here we are. Tried to keep the core of TTar + Another check of Alakazam since without chople it loses a little bit this function. But this time instead of jirachi I put a scizor with a spd set that I have been liking a lot these last days. The ttar set is to always ensure a 3HKO of scarf latios surf on rocks. With the invest in spa you are able to KO Def Toed and Jellicent under rocks and also be able to directly 1HKO Skarmory and Keldeo. Speed is for opp toed. I felt the team was a bit susceptible to Ferrothorn so I decided to put Zone and it also covers skarm so its p cool.I felt that I was missing a wincon and the fact that landorus was 6-0 didn't like me much so I decided to use Balloon Terrakion, a set that I have been using a lot these last days in ladder and it has given me very good results using it.Landorus max speed my favorite lando set atm, you don't usually riske a tie vs another lando def since most of them are 96+ or something like that. So max speed is awesome. You're also faster against things like Excadrill which is great since he's one of the biggest threats on the team. And finally celebi, to check thundurus or keldeo that are together with excadrill the biggest threats of the team besides offering me Twave for Smurf or Healing Wish to help Landorus or Scizor. Thank you for reading and gl if ur gonna use the team. I forgot to add that Magic Coat Zone is another set that I've been loving to put spikes up while not having a ferro, cuz you abuse the ability of ferrothorn and lead skarmory to put spikes so you can do it yourself. And chople zone just seems to me superior than balloon in some cases.

1640200083258.png

ckw

Tired
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
:Tyranitar: :Latios: :Heatran: :Celebi: :Jellicent: :Gliscor:

Not reinventing any wheel here with this team. The team circles around Sub Heatran and Nasty Plot Celebi partnered with Custap AoA Tyranitar to cover defensive threats. Scarf Latios provides the necessary speed control needed to face more offensive teams. Gliscor is a massive glue here. You can swap SR to Heatran and run SD Gliscor with NP HP Fire Celebi but I feel like Sub Heatran is amazing right now. Super fast Jellicent casually covers a lot of issues with the team and I found it pretty comfortable to use on the ladder, having peaked around the higher 1500s before getting bored of solo-ing teams with a Heatran behind Substitute. I've always been a fan of Custap Tyranitar but there usually weren't many reasons to use that Berry over Chople. Took the chance to build something I'd enjoy playing with. This team shouldn't miss Chople or Scarf on Tyranitar since between Heatran, Celebi, and Jellicent, you usually cover all the weaknesses that Chople Tyranitar aims to resolve.

Possible Changes:
1) NP 3 Attacks Celebi
2) SR Heatran + SD Gliscor
3) 4th Move on Tyranitar​

Ah this is a tough one because I've been fucking around a lot with custap tar of late but I have to submit this as its one of my favourites.

https://pokepast.es/30fdd9f5b5f8e0f2

:Tyranitar: :landorus-therian: :celebi: :excadrill: :mamoswine: :rotom-wash:

Tangatar was the original inspiration for this team and everything else fell in around it. Could go twave over slide but the lum volc mu then gets dicey.
Lando allows me to revenge kill reuni with punishment and keeps zam under control with bulky drill and mamo ice shard.
Celebi for thundy and keld, went for an offensive set because i really value keeping pressure up on ferro and skarm. Have tried a few different sets including 3 atk np but i think this is the most consistent.
Mold breaker drill helps with rotom in a pinch and i think is necessary on a mono eq set which i have here to fit rocks.
Mamo has knock to make the skarm mu easier but knock also helps with rotom and any of the more niche fat waters that may pop up. Mamos prio is very valuable for this team, carries a lot of the ho mus.
Rotom rounds out the team as defensive glue and providing momentum.

This Team is probably one of my New Favorites that I personally built, taking Advantage of Specs Hydreigon. I'm a pretty big Fan of it Actually.

https://pokepast.es/047298de416b3d78

Team Run-down:
  • Tyranitar with Tanga Berry because it weakens Bug Type Moves used against it and acts as a Meausre to Volcarona, which is famed for Tearing apart alot of Sand Teams. Crunch and Pursuit for STAB and to Trap Psychics like Reuniclus and Latios. +88 Adamant Attack allows it to 2HKO Reuniclus. Superpower is mainly the preferred coverage due to their ability to counter Heatran, an otherwise problematic Pokemon for Sand teams. Superpower also gives the benefit of OHKOing offensive Excadrill and having a chance to OHKO Mamoswine on a predicted switch, as well as achieving coverage on Ferrothorn in a pinch. WIth its Bulk, It can live +2 Max SpAttack Bug Gem STAB from it and kill it in Return with Rock Slide.
Damage Calc:
+2 252 SpA Bug Gem Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 172 SpD Tanga Berry Tyranitar in Sand: 256-303 (63.5 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

• Jirachi's Purpose on the Team is to keep Speed Control with Choice Scarf, it allows it to be Faster than Scarf Landorus and all Volcaronas that reach a Speed of 310. It act as a Revenge Killer as it can reliably Check Alakazam by being Faster than it and it can Flinch it with a 60% chance to flinch on Iron Head thanks to Serene Grace. It also excels at Keeping Momentum with a Fast U-turn while it Great against Offense with Ice Punch dealing Super-Effective Damage to most of the Popular Pokemon in the Metagame. Note: Healing Wish can be a Alternative option over Trick.

• Alakazam is Naturally Dangerous against Teams, mostly Rain and DragMag due to its Amazing Speed Tier and Power. Psyshock is there for STAB and handles Specially Defensive Pokemon better that Psychic. Focus Blast is for Coverage against Steel and Dark-types and its always the Most recommended Coverage used on it. Hidden Power Ice allows to take care of Popular Threats present in the Metagame thanks to how good Ice is Offensively. Signal Beam is there for Trashing Celebi and having a Safer hit on Tyranitar and other Psychic-types like Starmie and Latios. Focus Sash is needed because Alakazam is likely too Frail to take advantage of other Items like Life Orb.

• Landorus is there to act like a Physical Wall with Max +Defense, and does it even better with Intimidate and enough Speed to outpace Adamant Excadrill and Timid Heatran. It also fills a General Role of the Stealth Rocker of the Team, since its needed on every Team. Earthquake is STAB and its still hitting reasonably Hard even with no Attack Investment because of its natural High Base Attack. U-Turn to keep Momentum with Landorus and just likely Safer Move to use to Switch out. Hidden Power Ice is self-Explanatory.

• Excadrill is a Staple on Sand Teams and facilitates Pokemon with Rapid Spin, supporting others that are Weak to it and uses it well thanks to is Great MU against the Pokemon that used Stealth Rocks such as Tyranitar and Jirachi. Toxic along with Sandstorm allows it to wear down the majority of Pokemon and Protect fasten the Residual Damage with Toxic or even Sandstorm chip alone. Protect is also a nice tool to use for gain every bit of Leftovers Recovery and scout Choice-Locked Pokemon, Popular of which being Latios and Landorus. Earthquake is STAB and hits pretty hard thanks to Sand Force. Its EVs in Speed allows it to outpace Slower Variants of Poison Heal Breloom, Specially Defensive Heatran and Rotom-Wash as the Rest of its EVs lies in HP and Defense and Special Defense to make Excadrill as Bulky as Possible that pairs really well with its Great Defensive Typing and it can live Hydro Pump from Specially Defensive Rotom-Wash.

• Modest Hydreigon with Choice Specs is a Underrated but Dangerous Wallbreakerf or its given Power and ability to threaten every Steel in OU and high Powered STAB Attacks. Draco Meteor is hitting everything Hard that isn't a Steel type while Dark Pulse is also Dealing nice Damage to everything that doesn't resist it either. Choice Specs boosted Flamethrower and Earth Power is the Gold Combination of Dealing with Every Steel type in OU, think like Excadrill, Ferrothorn, Heatran and Skarmory to name a few. Max Special Attack along with Modest Nature lets it achieve the Maximum Power of 574 of Special Attack to hit as hard as it can. The EVs in Speed lets it to outpace Standard Substitute Thundurus and everything below that. The Rest of EVs goes into Bulk as Hydreigon is Naturally bulky without it but its still useful.

Note: This Team Build is Tested on the BW Ladder, gotten 1280+ Elo Rating

1640661900100.png

Enjoy and Happy Holidays!!

1640311636560.png 1640311680810.png 1640311702484.png 1640311720616.png 1640311738142.png 1640311755450.png

Last edited:
Hello and merry christmas to everyone!

:Landorus-Therian: :Reuniclus: :Tyranitar: :Excadrill: :Rotom-Wash: :Latios:

So here i am trying to pick one of the million tar sets i could use here and i thought to myself that i haven't tried out shuca tar ever so here we go!
The idea is as simple as overwheling sand BO with a few techs here and there to optimize the late game.
:Tyranitar: I started out with tar obviously(won't get into much detail for the spread but u can generally assume what it does since it's a shuca beam tar)
Next up i know i wanted to try out a really offensive excadrill that would complement the ttar luring in gliscor/lando/chomp and trapping latios(potentially even zam) trying to rk drill.
:Excadrill: SD Sand force drill with rock slide is an insanely strong mon that many people really just kinda sleep on and i think that with proper support it does shine at snapping teams in half.
:Landorus-Therian: Lando is fairly standard although i chose to make it a bit extra physdef bulky to help combat opposing drill a bit and get the intimidate for stuff like garchomp/terrak if need be and it's also a surprisingly potent threat vs rain when it's u-turning around cause of it's spikes immunity.
Smack down > hp ice cause i feel like pressuring rotom and skarm in one slot is more important than gliscor here since i have good ways to handle pressure gliscor.
:Rotom-Wash: Rotom is rotom, i chose to go for hp ice here since it's more important for sd gliscor and it helps in not giving thundurus free turns and is a more potent threat to offense with bolt beam.
I decided to make it faster than adamant loom and cloyster to burn them before they get out of hand while also outspeeding most gliscor sets.
Now we get into the double psychic core of scarf latios + tricky bard reuniclus.
:Latios: Scarf lati is pretty much the best cleaner this team could ask for since the team does a great job at wearing down the mons that need to go for a dragon pulse sweep late game.
:Reuniclus: This reuniclus set is something i've been dying to try out since it's honestly such a cool way of dancing around a lot of typical psysand countermeasures.
Tricky bard let's me cripple tar for the scarf latios in the late game but it doesn't stop there, u can trick every viable steel type and even stuff like politoed or rotom which help immensely.
I think that cm isn't very much needed here and i value t-wave more in this team especially since this reuniclus has another thing that makes it special in my eyes: It's Spdef.
While it seems a bit wack to use reuni as a specially defensive pivot i think that it helps a lot this team cause it actually unlocks ttar since reuni with spdef investment actually becomes a pretty nice zam/scarf latios check and it also helps a lot with sponging hits from stuff like timid thundurus that outspeed lando/drill and basically t-waves everything that's faster than sd drill.
Spdef allows me to trade comfortably with volcarona(if it's burned it's gem to kill tar or if it tries to set up on reuni).

Good luck to all participants and here's to a great 2022!

It has been awhile since I built a halfway decent team, so here are my 2 cents in an effort to improve upon my team-building skills:

Lum Berry Tar (pokepast.es)

1640478032507.png
1640478065813.png
1640478382455.png
1640478410491.png
1640478444180.png
1640478457274.png

The idea here is rather simple, use a Lum Berry to give Tyranitar an insurance against burns inflicted by Will´o´wisp or Scald and allow it participate more proactively in weather wars, and threaten bulky water types such as Tentacruel or Jellicent. This in turn should reduce the demand for water-resists on the team and give an otherwise somewhat standard Psyspikes team an extra team-slot to work with.

1640479679691.png

With a Lum Berry, Tyranitar can hard-switch into things such as Tentacruel, Lava Plume Heatran, or even Politoed and contribute more proactively to win a weather war against rain teams, as opposed to solely eliminating Latios or Starmie from the equation. Accordingly, this Tyranitar carries Earthquake as opposed to the more common Superpower to pressure Heatran and Tentacruel better. As an unusual last move I chose the sole recovery move the Tyrant gets. With the Lum Berry it can heal itself on a choice-locked Latios this way who usually won´t bother trying to switch out. Alternatively, it can also use Rest after using up its berry, as even a sleeping Tyranitar can be used to reset the weather in weather wars.

1640479698649.png

I originally went for Landorus-Therian as a standard stealth rock setter, but then realized that I had other ways to improve my match-up against threats such Technician Breloom or Swords Dance Scizor, and also lacked a good Choice scarf user. Scarfed Garchomp also dramatically improves the team´s match-up against the Aerodactyl teams that have entered the metagame recently, as well as some well-known threats such as Volcarona and Alakazam.

1640479704455.png

Standard spikes setter, though it runs a more physically defensive spread than usual to help out against Scizor, Swords Dance Landorus-Therian/Gliscor, Mamoswine, Cloyster and the somewhat rare Gyarados. It still runs enough special bulk to be able to check standard Calm mind Reuniculus, though.

1640479721475.png

The team´s answer to offensive rain threats such as Keldeo and Thundurus-Therian, as well as Breloom. I decided to give Latias a chance over her brother, as I trust her to better carry the day against multiple offensive threats and muscle through with a Calm mind + Refresh + Roost set. Dragon Pulse over Draco meteor, Roar over Refresh, and Dragon Fang over Leftovers are absolutely possibilities that I sadly lack the time to evaluate in detail.

1640480027796.png

You know Alakazam, everybody who has played BW OU does. Late-game sweeper and spikes abuser, emergency-checks Volcarona.

1640480155190.png

As mentioned, demonstratively not using an additional Water-resist or -absorb gave me an additional team slot to work with, and I went for Magnezone. This removes the need to whittle Skarmory and Ferrothorn down with a team completely lacking Fire-type moves, and, perhaps almost as good, gives the team an actual resist to Cloyster´s standard set. This Magnezone runs a timid nature to also outspeed and remove adamant Swords dance Scizor, who could rip huge holes into this team. The last moveslot on Magnezone is often cosmetic, so decided to try out Magic Coat. Most Skarmories and Ferrothorns when trapped will use their last turn to live trying to put up an additional layer of spikes, allowing Magnezone to flip them back at the hazard setter´s side Xatu-style and then remove them simply one turn later.

Merry Christmas to everybody, please stay safe and healthy, and good luck to everybody participating in this contest!

FNH

F is for Finchi, N is for Nator, H is for Hater
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Submission period is now closed. Thank you to everyone who submitted! Time to vote!

Team 1: 1640141851639.png 1640141857092.png 1640141897842.png 1640141911617.png 1640141967375.png 1640151169138.png by lezzz_goo
Team 2: :tyranitar::gastrodon::zapdos::scizor::excadrill::garchomp: by Gamer1234556
Team 3: :scizor::magnezone::terrakion::landorus-therian::Tyranitar::celebi:by Nalorium
Team 4: :Tyranitar::Latios::Heatran::Celebi::Jellicent::Gliscor:by ckw
Team 5: :Tyranitar::landorus-therian::celebi::excadrill::mamoswine::rotom-wash: by mad dawg
Team 6: :Tyranitar::Jirachi::Alakazam::Landorus-Therian::Excadrill::Hydreigon: by 00Crystal
Team 7: :Landorus-Therian::Reuniclus::Tyranitar::Excadrill::Rotom-Wash::Latios: by BluBirD252
Team 8: :tyranitar::Garchomp::Skarmory::Latias::Alakazam::Magnezone: by Undorian

Voting will close in 3 days

Reminder:
if you submitted a team, you can't vote for yourself. You are welcome to vote for another team if you choose to do so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)