BSS Bulk Up Palafin

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
:sv/palafin-hero:

I find it sorta weird that the heroic Pokemon is a fan of Toxic Spikes support!

[SET]
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Jet Punch
move 3: Drain Punch / Tera Blast
move 4: Taunt / Substitute
item: Leftovers / Punching Glove / Covert Cloak
ability: Zero to Hero
nature: Careful / Jolly
evs: 252 HP / 140 SpD / 116 Spe
tera type: Fighting / Fairy / Water

[SET COMMENTS]

* Palafin-H's powerful priority and good Speed tier separate it from other Bulk Up sweepers, such as Annihilape.

* **Drain Punch**: Even without Tera Fighting, Drain Punch's extra healing makes it a great choice for coverage, and it does massive damage to Kingambit and Meowscarada.

* **Taunt versus Substitute**: With Taunt, Palafin-H excels at breaking through troublesome defensive Pokemon, such as Corviknight and Skeledirge, and it also gives Palafin a decent move against Hippowdon before switching out for Zero to Hero. Substitute has a worse matchup against these threats, but in exchange it turns Garganacl into an excellent set up opportunity and makes Palafin-H a fearsome sweeper with Toxic Spikes support.

Other Options
========

* **Ice Punch**: If using Tera Water, Ice Punch is a reasonable option for hitting Dragon-types, though it does leave Palafin-H walled by Rotom-W.

* **Encore**: While harder to justify than the other support options, Encore does give Palafin-H new chances to set up, punishing slower set-up sweepers like Annihilape in particular.

Tera Types
========

* **Fighting**: Boosting Drain Punch's power with Tera Fighting can make Palafin-H even more difficult to take down and can seriously compromise defensive Rotom-W thanks to Taunt or Substitute blocking Will-O-Wisp. However, it does make Palafin-H particularly vulnerable to Flutter Mane.

* **Fairy**: Besides being an excellent defensive typing, Tera Fairy gives Palafin-H a great offensive option against Dragon-types like Dragonite and Roaring Moon, as well as coverage against Meowscarada.

* **Water**: Tera Water helps Palafin-H pick off more threats with Jet Punch, having a good shot to OHKO offensive Flutter Mane unboosted after Stealth Rock damage.

* **Poison**: Besides offering a useful Fairy resistance, Tera Poison lets Palafin-H absorb Toxic Spikes and stop Toxic without a support move, making it a viable alternative.

Items
========

* **Leftovers**: Leftovers takes advantage of Palafin-H's slow setup and is a requirement if using Substitute.

* **Punching Glove**: If using Taunt, Punching Glove is a good option to free up Leftovers for a teammate. Palafin-H appreciates the extra power Jet Punch and Drain Punch gain, and it becomes harder for Rocky Helmet Dragonite to wear it down.

* **Covert Cloak**: If using Taunt, Covert Cloak turns the tables on the Garganacl matchup in addition to protecting Palafin-H from surprise Light Ball Flings from foes like Annihilape.

EV Spreads
========

* **252 HP / 140 SpD / 116 Spe with Careful**: This spread maximizes Palafin-H's Special Defense while still outspeeding Jolly Breloom.

* **252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe with Jolly**: Maximizing Speed allows Palafin-H to outspeed fast support Pokemon like Mimikyu and Annihilape so it can Taunt them. This spread also outspeeds Choice Specs Hydreigon, which can deal massive damage with Draco Meteor if not using Tera Fairy.

* **252 HP / 140 Atk / 116 Spe with Adamant**: This is a far more offensive approach to the set, letting Palafin-H function more as a revenge killer with the potential to sweep rather than a bulky setup Pokemon. This is best used with Tera Water, as Palafin-H will then OHKO offensive Flutter Mane with unboosted Jet Punch. The given Speed is for outspeeding Jolly Breloom.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Theorymon, 29010]]
- Quality checked by: [[DerpySuX, 528485]]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Sabelette, 583793]]

Last edited:

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I got Palafin-H ready for QC checking! As expected, my internet did not like that blizzard yesterday, so I had to finish it off this morning. Thankfully stuff seems to have cleared up so far, I'm just going to pretend Palafin-H Jet Punched nature itself :P.

Anyways, I made a few changes!

- I added an offensive Adamant spread, mostly because with Tera Water you can snipe Flutter Mane much more easily.

- I was going to mention Tera Flying, I still might if there's demand but an issue I have with it is that Tera Flying means Palafin-H actually gets 3HKOed by Wave Crash, which is awkward when you can't pressure Dondozo with something like Rage Fist like Annihilape can. It's not an impossible match-up mind you if you wear Dondozo down.

- Added Covert Cloak, its not common but I found being able to shut down Garganacl with Taunt BU to be really cool.

- Added Tera Water, just for the extra Jet Punch damage.

-Added Ice Punch to Other Options, it can make Dragonite easier when it doesnt tera at the cost of making Rotom-W a real pain.

DerpySuX

I’ll encourage ya smile, I’d expect you don’t cry
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I’d mention tera poison to make fin less vulnerable to toxic/opposing tspikes personally. I’ve seen this a tiny bit while watching/playing and it has some merit.

Otherwise this looks very good, QC APPROVED

Sabelette

from the river to the sea
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Addition Removal Comment (AC) (AH) Add Comma/Add Hyphen, (RC) (RH) Remove Comma/Remove Hyphen

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Palafin-H's powerful priority and good Speed tier separate it from other Bulk Up sweepers, such as Annihilape.

* **Drain Punch**: Even when not without Tera Fighting, Drain Punch's extra healing makes it a great choice for coverage, and it does massive damage to Kingambit and Meowscarada.

* **Taunt versus Substitute**: With Taunt, Palafin-H excels at breaking through troublesome defensive Pokemon, such as Corviknight and Skeledirge, and it also gives Palafin a decent move against Hippowdon before switching out for Zero to Hero. Substitute has a worse match-up matchup against these threats, but in exchange, (RC) it turns makes Garganacl into an excellent set-up set up opportunity and makes Palafin-H a fearsome sweeper with Toxic Spikes support.

Other Options
========

* **Ice Punch**: If using Tera Water, Ice Punch is a reasonable option for hitting Dragon-types, though it does leave Palafin-H walled by Rotom-W.

* **Encore**: While harder to justify than the other support options, Encore does give Palafin-H new chances to set up, punishing slower set-up sweepers like Annihilape in particular.

Tera Types
========

* **Fighting**: Boosting Drain Punch's power with Tera Fighting can make Palafin-H even more difficult to take down, (RC) and can seriously compromise defensive Rotom-W thanks to Taunt or Substitute blocking Will-O-Wisp. However, it does make Palafin-H particularly vulnerable to Flutter Mane.

* **Fairy**: Besides being an excellent defensive typing, Tera Fairy gives Palafin-H a great offensive option against Dragon-types like Dragonite and Roaring Moon, and coverage against (think you forgot something here, finish this and tag me so I can review and stamp)

* **Water**: Much like the more common offensive sets, (don't need to reference other sets) Tera Water helps Palafin-H pick off more threats with Jet Punch, with offensive Flutter Mane having a good shot of being OHKOed by an unboosted one to OHKO offensive Flutter Mane unboosted (changed passive voice) after Stealth Rock damage.

* **Poison**: Besides offering a useful Fairy resistance, Tera Poison lets Palafin-H absorb absorbing Toxic Spikes and not having to use a support move to stop Toxic without a support move, making it makes Tera Poison a viable alternative. (again reducing passive voice)

Items
========

* **Leftovers**: Leftovers takes advantage of Palafin-H's slow set-up setup, (RC) and is a requirement if using Substitute.

* **Punching Glove**: If using Taunt, Punching Glove is a good option to free up Leftovers for a teammate. Palafin-H appreciates the extra power Jet Punch and Drain Punch get, and it becomes harder for Rocky Helmet Dragonite to wear down Palafin-H.

* **Covert Cloak**: If using Taunt, Covert Cloak turns the tables on the Garganacl matchup, (RC) in addition to protecting Palafin-H from surprise Light Ball Flings from foes like Annihilape.

EV Spreads
========

* **252 HP / 140 SpD / 116 Spe with Careful**: This spread maximizes Palafin-H's Special Defense while still outspeeding Jolly Breloom.

* **252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe with Jolly**: Maximizing Speed allows Palafin-H to outspeed fast support Pokemon like Mimikyu and Annihilape so it can Taunt them. This spread also outspeeds Choice Specs Hydreigon, who which can threaten to deal massive damage with Draco Meteor if not using Tera Fairy.

* **252 HP / 140 Atk / 116 Spe with Adamant**: This is a far more offensive approach to the set, letting Palafin-H function more as a revenge killer with the potential to sweep, (RC) rather than a bulky set-up setup Pokemon. This is best used with Tera Water, as Palafin-H will now OHKO offensive Flutter Mane without needing a boost with unboosted Jet Punch. The given Speed is for outspeeding Jolly Breloom.

[CREDITS]

Not stamped yet cause of the missing part, I'll take a second look when that's added and check over for anything I missed but this is what I saw on a first pass.

Theorymon

Thanks for the check Sabelette ! I meant to mention Meowscarada (mostly because not having coverage against that is a big no-no for this set lol). I put that section in bold green text in case you want another look at it.

Sabelette

from the river to the sea
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Check part 2, GP 1/1 when implemented :)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* **Drain Punch**: Even without Tera Fighting, Drain Punch's extra healing makes it a great choice for coverage, and it does massive damage to Kingambit and Meowscarada.

* **Taunt versus Substitute**: With Taunt, Palafin-H excels at breaking through troublesome defensive Pokemon, such as Corviknight and Skeledirge, and it also gives Palafin a decent move against Hippowdon before switching out for Zero to Hero. Substitute has a worse matchup against these threats, but in exchange it turns Garganacl into an excellent set up opportunity and makes Palafin-H a fearsome sweeper with Toxic Spikes support.

Other Options
========

Tera Types
========

* **Fighting**: Boosting Drain Punch's power with Tera Fighting can make Palafin-H even more difficult to take down and can seriously compromise defensive Rotom-W thanks to Taunt or Substitute blocking Will-O-Wisp. However, it does make Palafin-H particularly vulnerable to Flutter Mane.

* **Fairy**: Besides being an excellent defensive typing, Tera Fairy gives Palafin-H a great offensive option against Dragon-types, (RC) like Dragonite and Roaring Moon, and as well as coverage against Meowscarada. (this comma feels very strange so feel free to reword to avoid it, but nonrestrictive clauses [nonessential extra info introduced with "like" or "such as" for example] need commas before and after; if the info is necessary to understand the sentence, then you don't put commas on either side. I changed the "and" to "as well as" to make the sentence end a little less abruptly given the commas)

* **Water**: Tera Water helps Palafin-H pick off more threats with Jet Punch, having a good shot to OHKO offensive Flutter Mane unboosted after Stealth Rock damage.

* **Poison**: Besides offering a useful Fairy resistance, Tera Poison lets Palafin-H absorb Toxic Spikes and stop Toxic without a support move, making it a viable alternative.

Items
========

* **Leftovers**: Leftovers takes advantage of Palafin-H's slow setup and is a requirement if using Substitute.

* **Punching Glove**: If using Taunt, Punching Glove is a good option to free up Leftovers for a teammate. Palafin-H appreciates the extra power Jet Punch and Drain Punch get gain, and it becomes harder for Rocky Helmet Dragonite to wear it down Palafin-H.

* **Covert Cloak**: If using Taunt, Covert Cloak turns the tables on the Garganacl matchup in addition to protecting Palafin-H from surprise Light Ball Flings from foes like Annihilape.

EV Spreads
========

* **252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe with Jolly**: Maximizing Speed allows Palafin-H to outspeed fast support Pokemon like Mimikyu and Annihilape so it can Taunt them. This spread also outspeeds Choice Specs Hydreigon, which can threaten to deal massive damage with Draco Meteor if not using Tera Fairy.

* **252 HP / 140 Atk / 116 Spe with Adamant**: This is a far more offensive approach to the set, letting Palafin-H function more as a revenge killer with the potential to sweep rather than a bulky setup Pokemon. This is best used with Tera Water, as Palafin-H will now then OHKO offensive Flutter Mane with unboosted Jet Punch. The given Speed is for outspeeding Jolly Breloom.

[CREDITS]

Shrew_GP.gif

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)