Gen 5 Building a competitive Team

Hello guys,

I've been testing my new team since two days. To be honest, I really forgot alot of bascis. For example, that Steel is resistant against Posion. These mistakes did lead me to some lost games on Showdown. However, currently I'm getting more into Pokémon again. I'm still a player which loves to play bulky offense teams with some speed. I'm still not sure about my EV spreads, some items and movesets. But here is my current team:

Salamence @ Focus Sash
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang

Often I use Salamence as my Hazard Setter. Focus Sash allows me to Dragon Dance at least one time. With Dragon Claw, Earthquake and Fire Fang I got three movesets which can cause alot of damage to my opponent. I'm not so sure about Fire Fang here as a Moveset, but I've met alot of Steel and Plant Pokémon in GEN 5 OU on Showdown. That's why I switched an old moveset into Fire Fang. Untill now, it was a good idea.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Crunch

I love Tyranitar. It is my favorite Pokémon and needs to be on my Team as a Wallbreaker. With Dragon Dance as moveset, Tyranitar can become a huge threat to one whole Pokémon team. Stone Edge and Crunch are the main two STAB moves. Earthquake handles also alot of Pokémon with weakness to ground.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Atk / 100 Def / 20 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Roost

Scizor should be the Pivot / Revenge Killer. Tyranitar and Scizor go very well together and balance each other out. Bullet Punch is a STAB movement and allows me to hit first and knock out weak Pokémon. Superpower can cause alot of damage. U-turn allows me some flexibility to switch into a different Pokémon and still causes some damage. Since Scizor is pretty bulky, I decided to give it more bulk by having Roost as a moveset.

Gengar @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave

For Gengar I have been choosing the typcial movesets. Only Energy Ball isnt that often seen on a Gengar. The idea behind Energy Ball is, that I can deal better with Ground, Stone and Water Pokémon. While Gengar is pretty weak against some Psychic Pokémon, a switch into Tyranitar solves the problem against Psychic Pokémon. Gengar has the role as a Sweeper.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

Another Sweeper in my Team is Latios. I alos needed more speed in my team to deal with Garchomp, Salamance and other threats. Since yet, Ice Beam did a amazing job as moveset. Dragon Pulse and Psychic are the two STAB moves. Calm Mind gives me the possibility to make Latios a huge threat. I mainly use Calm Mind if I'm sure that my opponent will change his Pokémon, or his Pokémon has no strong moves.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 182 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave

Rotom-Wash is another Pivot in my Team. Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt are the two STAB moves. I changed Volt Switch into Hidden Power [Ice] and Reflect into Thunder Wave. My idea on Reflect was to give my Team more resistance against physical moves, since Rotom-Wash can deal with alot of damage and set on Reflect easily. Im not sure if Hidden Power [Ice] is a better option than Volt Switch, since Volt Switch allows me to switch with damage into another Pokémon. Rotom-Wash is a good choice if there is an threat for Salamance, Latios and Tyranitar.

I mainly need help on my EV spreads, some movesets and items. I hope one of you guys can help me out to finally have a solid GEN 5 OU Team. After that I'll enjoy some time playing with this team and build a Pokémon Sun and Moon team.

Cheers,
F777

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
Hello guys,

I've been testing my new team since two days. To be honest, I really forgot alot of bascis. For example, that Steel is resistant against Posion. These mistakes did lead me to some lost games on Showdown. However, currently I'm getting more into Pokémon again. I'm still a player which loves to play bulky offense teams with some speed. I'm still not sure about my EV spreads, some items and movesets. But here is my current team:

Salamence @ Focus Sash
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang

Often I use Salamence as my Hazard Setter. Focus Sash allows me to Dragon Dance at least one time. With Dragon Claw, Earthquake and Fire Fang I got three movesets which can cause alot of damage to my opponent. I'm not so sure about Fire Fang here as a Moveset, but I've met alot of Steel and Plant Pokémon in GEN 5 OU on Showdown. That's why I switched an old moveset into Fire Fang. Untill now, it was a good idea.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Crunch

I love Tyranitar. It is my favorite Pokémon and needs to be on my Team as a Wallbreaker. With Dragon Dance as moveset, Tyranitar can become a huge threat to one whole Pokémon team. Stone Edge and Crunch are the main two STAB moves. Earthquake handles also alot of Pokémon with weakness to ground.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Atk / 100 Def / 20 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Roost

Scizor should be the Pivot / Revenge Killer. Tyranitar and Scizor go very well together and balance each other out. Bullet Punch is a STAB movement and allows me to hit first and knock out weak Pokémon. Superpower can cause alot of damage. U-turn allows me some flexibility to switch into a different Pokémon and still causes some damage. Since Scizor is pretty bulky, I decided to give it more bulk by having Roost as a moveset.

Gengar @ Petaya Berry
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave

For Gengar I have been choosing the typcial movesets. Only Energy Ball isnt that often seen on a Gengar. The idea behind Energy Ball is, that I can deal better with Ground, Stone and Water Pokémon. While Gengar is pretty weak against some Psychic Pokémon, a switch into Tyranitar solves the problem against Psychic Pokémon. Gengar has the role as a Sweeper.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

Another Sweeper in my Team is Latios. I alos needed more speed in my team to deal with Garchomp, Salamance and other threats. Since yet, Ice Beam did a amazing job as moveset. Dragon Pulse and Psychic are the two STAB moves. Calm Mind gives me the possibility to make Latios a huge threat. I mainly use Calm Mind if I'm sure that my opponent will change his Pokémon, or his Pokémon has no strong moves.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 182 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave

Rotom-Wash is another Pivot in my Team. Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt are the two STAB moves. I changed Volt Switch into Hidden Power [Ice] and Reflect into Thunder Wave. My idea on Reflect was to give my Team more resistance against physical moves, since Rotom-Wash can deal with alot of damage and set on Reflect easily. Im not sure if Hidden Power [Ice] is a better option than Volt Switch, since Volt Switch allows me to switch with damage into another Pokémon. Rotom-Wash is a good choice if there is an threat for Salamance, Latios and Tyranitar.

I mainly need help on my EV spreads, some movesets and items. I hope one of you guys can help me out to finally have a solid GEN 5 OU Team. After that I'll enjoy some time playing with this team and build a Pokémon Sun and Moon team.

Cheers,
F777
1. This team is really weak to Specs Latios rn. After a few layers of spikes or a little chip on Zor, it can freely spam Draco and deal high damage everytime. An easy fix is to run a defensive Tyranitar with Pursuit. If you want to keep DD Tar, you can run it on Scizor instead but I don't reccomend it.
2. I also strongly reccomend putting Volt Switch back on Wash. It's one of it's best attributes, the pivoting ability.
3. You mention mence is a hazard setter, but your set has no hazards on it.
4. What's up with the Scizor and Wash EVs?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)