Needs Triage Bug Report - Mechanics

What type of bug are you reporting? Mechanics

What is the bug?
Potential functionality bug on Showdown or a display error on Showdown's damage calculator. Under Wonder Room Body Press account for that stat change and uses the Special Defense stat for damage calculation, however when it comes to boosts one side is not correctly displaying how it should function. Showdown uses special defense multipliers for damage calculation, alongside the change to special defense being used instead of defense. Yet on the damage calculator the opposite is the case, yes special defense is still used for damage calculation, but physical defense multipliers are used on top of the special defense stat when using body press. Interesting and I'm not sure which one is correct. An incredibly niche scenario but one side is implemented incorrectly and I just want to address that.

Are you able to replicate it? If so, how?
Yes, the damage calculator has the following calcs:

252 Def Mew Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 36-43 (10.5 - 12.6%) -- possible 8HKO
+2 252 Def Mew Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 73-86 (21.4 - 25.2%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO

The proper way body press works vs,

0 SpDef Mew Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew in Wonder Room: 29-34 (8.5 - 9.9%) -- possibly the worst move ever
+2 Def 0 SpDef Mew Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew in Wonder Room: 57-68 (16.7 - 19.9%) -- guaranteed 6HKO
+2 0 SpDef Mew Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew in Wonder Room: 29-34 (8.5 - 9.9%) -- possibly the worst move ever

The way body press works under wonder room, according to the damage calculator.

Now the damage calculator even under Wonder Room still displays the ev's put into Def and etc, so I manually swapped the text to SpDef. But obviously something here is implemented correctly. Adversely in Showdown's battle simulator, Mew's body press outside of Wonder Room behaves normally of course, and in Wonder Room entirely uses its SpDef stat, base stat and multipliers too. I understand this is stupid in the long run but I thought it was an interesting oversight and I'm curious which side is technically correct for heat strategies. Imagine a Hisuian Goodra's body press under wonder room, if the former two calcs are correct.

Irpachuza

You didn't get this far by giving up, did you?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Random Battle Lead
By this mechanics research conversation, the most likely option is that this is a calc error and not a sim one, as Wonder Room Body Press should be accounting for SpD boosts.
Therefore I suggest you to report it at the calc thread instead of here. Will leave it open for now in case I missed something mechanics-wise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)