Breeding Variants

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Now that that's taken care of, let's move on to the next step...

Sprite Art!
Submit your sprites for the breeding variants. We're looking for front sprites, back sprites, shiny sprites and menu sprites! The only rule otherwise is to use the base in each pair as the base for the design of your sprites (eg Flareon-Ocean should look like Flareon with Wailord qualities). Also refer to the dex entries for each pair for design inspiration. Good luck, I enjoy seeing what you make!

There's also another question I wanna ask you all. How should we handle the transition to Gen 8? I don't wanna do a full-on reboot and scrap all this hard work considering how relatively little time it's been, but at the same time I fear doing National Dex OU with these guys + a few new ones could result in the current batch falling behind since they were designed with the gen 7 meta in mind (this especially applies for Banette-Blademaster, which was explicitly designed to use a Mega Evolution). I'd like to hear your opinions on this issue, and quickly!

Ok, Banette-Blademaster-Mega works now. I had to change the name to Banette-Mega-Blademaster. Apparently, that's a necessity.

So in the future, your mega pokemon's names should follow the format "Pokemon-Mega-Forme", rather than "Pokemon-Forme-Mega".

Both formes seem to remain capable of mega evolving into the other forme's mega; luckily Banette-B into Banette-M-B is the strongest version so I don't see much potential for abuse coming from that.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Alright, so here's my plan for advancing into Sword and Shield. Basically when Breeding Variants Gen 8 opens, we'll start off with a "first slate" where we go through the current 25 and pick 5-10 to carry over into the new iteration. There will still be 25 variants in total, but the remainder will be all brand new.

As for whether it'll be based on standard OU or National Dex OU remains to be seen. I'm gonna wait a couple of months for both formats to develop a bit to see which would be more fun to build around. If I choose the former, I might also restrict breeding combos so the bases can only be things available in the Galar Pokedex.

This is the plan for now, but I'm still open to any other suggestions.

Alright, so here's my plan for advancing into Sword and Shield. Basically when Breeding Variants Gen 8 opens, we'll start off with a "first slate" where we go through the current 25 and pick 5-10 to carry over into the new iteration. There will still be 25 variants in total, but the remainder will be all brand new.

As for whether it'll be based on standard OU or National Dex OU remains to be seen. I'm gonna wait a couple of months for both formats to develop a bit to see which would be more fun to build around. If I choose the former, I might also restrict breeding combos so the bases can only be things available in the Galar Pokedex.

This is the plan for now, but I'm still open to any other suggestions.
Can't you just carry over all of them?
I don't see why you'd delete any
Honestly, you could just retire this iteration in favor of the new one.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Can't you just carry over all of them?
I don't see why you'd delete any
Honestly, you could just retire this iteration in favor of the new one.
I'm just concerned that regardless of whether we go with regional or National Dex OU the breeding variants will have a hard time fitting in with the new meta seeing as they were designed with USUM OU in mind, potentially being overpowered in the former and underpowered in the latter. At the same time, I don't want to scrap absolutely everything. With all that said, I think this is the best middle ground option, although I guess we could try directly porting everyone. Don't think it'll go over well though.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
With the previews of what we are getting, I hobestly think its the fusions you should worry about.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Just so you know, unless National Dex rescinds their wack-ass policies concerning how megas and z-moves work (z-moves allowed but no z-move for any new gen 8 moves? the fuck?????) I'm probably going with Regional Dex OU as the meta of choice for V2 of this mod. If I do change my mind and go with NatDex, Megas and Z-Moves are banned, the end.

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I thought Megas were allowed for the National Dex? (Mostly my thought process for the MFA transfer to Gen 8)
Hmm... honestly? Maybe. Whether I decide to allow Megas in V2 pretty much depends on whether Gigantamaxing is kept around and whether it turns out to be too much after a while. The issue here is I strongly disagree with the handling of those and Z-Moves in NatDex since they're making up interactions with the new stuff in Gen 8. If both forms of Dynamax are banned, then maybe I'll consider allowing Megas, and that's only if we go with NatDex as the basis for V2. I'm still nuking Z-Moves regardless.

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Status Update No. Whatever: I'm pretty much set on regional dex and will be banning Dynamax regardless of OU's verdict on it. Still conflicted over whether to allow Megas and/or Z-Moves or not. Expect us to get back into the swing of things probably a couple of months after RU exits Alpha so we let it settle for a bit. Should Dynamax not be banned in those formats by then for some bizarre reason I will probably have to take subs on a case-by-case basis seeing as the tiering placements for mons will be inaccurate to our meta since in this nightmare scenario where they still allow Dynamax.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)