Breeding Guide

In Depth Breeding Guide

Breeding is very essential in the game of Pokemon. Firstly, I’d like to say this will be updated, so far, this is only Version 1.0 of the guide, and will massively be updated once D/P is released. Anyway, Breeding comes in handy for all people who’d like to have powerful pokemon! Well, firstly, I’d like to explain what exactly breeding is, and how it can help. Now, allow me to explain…

Breeding in the game of pokemon, is allowing two pokemon of the opposite gender to be set into the Day Care of some pokemon games, and then, you wait until those 2 pokemon have an egg. But, not all pokemon breed like this. Only some breed with other ones. So, firstly, every pokemon has a certain Egg Type, if the egg type is compatible with the other pokemon’s Egg Type, they WILL have an egg, but their’s also a few catches in the guide that I will discuss further on.

People breed for certain pokemon with a certain pokemon for spectacular, and powerful pokemon! Well, they mainly breed for good natures, and IV’s. Right now, I myself am breeding some good pokemon. So, there are certain ways of increasing the chances of the desired nature you’d like on the bred pokemon result. IV’s are also randomly equipped to the pokemon, which is why people keep breeding. They also breed for certain egg moves that they need. Egg Moves are essential to most pokemon’s movesets. Such as a Salamence with Dragon Dance. Egg moves are passed down by the 2 parent pokemon, a.k.a., the 2 pokemon you chose to put into the day care to actually create the breeded pokemon.

Breeding Basics

First up, I’d like to show everyone the egg groups currently in emerald version, or the adv generation. I’ll update this with the release of Diamond and Pearl.

Monster
Dragon
Ground
Bug
Plant
Water A
Water B
Water C
Indeterminate
Fairy
Humanshape
Mineral
No Egg

Some of these are not compadible, some are. I’m to lazy to list which is compadible with which, so I’ll update that later on in the future.

First up, only breed Male’s with Females, because in real life, you can’t… umm, well yea, you know what I mean. Male’s and Female’s are the only 2 things that can breed a pokemon. But of course, there is an eception with 1 certain pokemon, which I will discuss later on.

Genderless pokemon cannot breed, but Metagross can breed, so exclude that from the list. Legendary pokemon can’t breed either, why? Well, it wouldn’t be fare, and their genderless pokemon, so just forget about trying to even breed the pokemon. So, that’s that. You’ll also need an extra spot in your team to receive the egg by talking to the dude. You’ll know he has an egg when he steps out further from the usual place he stands at.

Got problems with breeding your pokemon? And it’s not related to the previous paragraphs? Well, the problem is, is that the 2 can possibly “hate” each other. Firstly, the following phrases the man says increase the chances of the 2 parent pokemnon to have an egg, and the phrases may not be exact, but they may be similar, so please, don’t yell at me for getting the phrases wrong:
---
The Two Seem To Get Along very well” – Simply means that they will most likely make an egg.

The Two Seem To Get Along” – Chance of making an egg is decreased slightly.

The Two Seem To Not Like Each Other” – Means that the chances of making an egg isn’t to hard, but you still will get an egg, eventually, and don’t give up on breeding because of this phrase.

“The Two Prefer To Play With Other Pokemon Than Each Other” – Means that the chances of getting an egg is 0, and is most likely because their the same gender, different egg groups, and well, yea.
---
Well, you can see if the man says those phrases or not by simply talking to him, very easily done.

After once getting an egg, you hatch it by walking. Each pokemon have certain steps you have to walk for to hatch the egg. The steps can be from 1000 to 10,000. Which is a lot, so, you don’t want to do that? You can cut in half the steps of walking to hatch the egg by using one of the following abilities:

-Flame Body
-Magma Armor

Well, those two decrease the steps. A pokemon you’d like to keep in mind that has one of having one of these pokemon is Slugma, and Magmar in Fr/Lg. Anyway, these abilities make breeding faster and easier.

Well then, now that I’ve explained the basics, how about the rest?

Chain Breeding

This method is used when you need to transfer IV’s, Egg Moves, etc. It comes in useful, very useful. First up, as you know, you cannot breed with certain egg groups, that’s why you should use Chain Breeding. Let’s say a pokemon has Reversal, and the pokemon your trying to breed should have Reversal, but that pokemon cannot breed with the pokemon you want to have reversal on. Well, there is another method.

Ok, let’s call the pokemon with reversal “Pokemon A”, one of the parent pokemon that your trying to breed “Pokemon B”, and the third pokemon “Pokemon C”. Firstly, Pokemon A Cannot breed with Pokemon B, but, Pokemon C can breed with Pokemon A and can get reversal on the bred pokemon. Pokemon C can also breed with Pokemon B, so, you then breed the bred pokemon with pokemon B resulting Pokemon B to have reversal. Walla, you have now successfully Chain Breeded.

To explain in a simple way, you basically transferred Pokemon A’s Reversal to C, then to B. Simple as that. Egg Moves are transferred this way, but egg moves isn’t the only thing transferred through this process.

When breeding, it’s possible that 2 IV’s from the parent pokemon may be transferred to the bred pokemon. Say your Gengar has 31 IV’s in Speed and Sp. Atk. Let’s call gengar Pokemon A. The pokemon you want 31 IV’s in speed and sp. Atk is Pokemon B, and Pokemon C is the third. First up, Pokemon A cannot breed with pokemon B, but can breed with pokemon C. You keep breeding with pokemon C until the bred pokemon between Pokemon A and C has gottan good IV’s. Pokemon C can breed with Pokemon A, so pass the bred result of C to A, lol kinda complicated to you isn’t it? Same as the Egg Moves though.

Remember, the Male Pokemon only passes down Egg moves such as reversal, and the Female is the bred result of 2 pokemkon breeding.

IV Breeding

Hi, IV Breeding is good, and is simple and easy. First up, IV Breeding is when you keep on breeding until you are satisfied with the IV’s you want on your pokemon. So, put in your 2 pokemon, and keep breeding the pokemon. Once you’ve bred your pokemon, use rare candies onto it until at Level 50, then use the IV Stat Calculator to calculate it’s IV’s on the internet. The Calculator is most in-accurate at lvl 5, so that’s why you want to get to Lvl 50, where it’s best accurate. “What, rare candies until Level 50? Are you crazy!”. No, make sure you have 1. To learn how to clone a rare candy, or any other item/pokemon, look here:

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/message?board.id=pokemon&message.id=1295696

Well, that was simple wasn’t it? First up, you ask, why not train the pokemon until lvl 50 instead of using Rare Candies? Simple because you can calculate your IV’s on the calculator WAY easier. That’s why. Another method is using the day care, but the pokemon won’t evolve in the Day Care, so your pokemon stat’s are pretty much just lower.

An IV Stat Calculator can be found here:

http://www.freewebs.com/mewtwogazette/design106a/statcalculator.htm

Ditto Breeding

OMG, I WANT TO BREED THIS POKEMON, BUT THE POKEMON I WANT TO BREED IS MALE! Well, to bad. Lol, j/k. Anyway, there is a way! First up, breed any pokemon you want with Ditto, that means a Male pokemon with Ditto, and it will breed the pokemon. And second, you can’t breed Ditto with Ditto. Ok, now were past that, this is called Ditto Breeding. People use this method, a lot. They also tend to try to catch Ditto’s of every nature, why? Well, I’ll explain that in the next section of the guide.

Everstones

Very essential if your breeding for the right nature. Let’s say parent pokemon 1 is “Pokemon A”, and Pokemon B is parent pokemon 2. Pokemon A has modest nature, and Pokemon B is a female Gengar. Your trying to breed a Modest Ghastly. Pokemon A is a modest ditto. Everstones increase the chances of getting the nature of the parent holding the everstone get transferred to the bred pokemon. This is why people try to catch Ditto’s with different natures. Well then, this is how you get the nature you want onto the pokemon your trying to breed. A nature list can be found here:

http://www.freewebs.com/dpdex/nonzero/nonzero_actual/nextgen/natures.html

That is what everstones do.

Breeding items

Some Pokemon need to hold an item to breed, ok? So here:

-Everstone: held by any pokemon (i think) has 50% chance of keeping other pokemon nature in newly hatched pokemon

-Sea Incense: This is used to breed two marils to have an azuril

-Light ball: This is used to make pikachu hatch a pichu with volt tackle

Quote Edits You Should Know About:

Quote By Great Sgage:All genderless Pokemon except legendaries. can breed with Ditto iirc, and IVs only fully differentiate at level 100. Also, it should be noted that Lati@s can't breed and Pokemon can only breed with their own breeding group and a Pokemon can have 1 or 2 breeding groups.

Well, I’ll update if I need to in the future.

Contact me by asking my breeding questions, and what I should add to my guide by simply PM’ing me. Thanks.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
All genderless Pokemon except legendaries. can breed with Ditto iirc, and IVs only fully differentiate at level 100. Also, it should be noted that Lati@s can't breed and Pokemon can only breed with their own breeding group and a Pokemon can have 1 or 2 breeding groups.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)