Project Break This Team: USUM UU Edition [Week 71 - Submissions]

I think I would go with Sickist here simply because of this Slowbro set forcing me into Empoleon almost every time. This being a free opportunity to pivot into Terrakion to chip away at Doublade. If I opted for Protect on this Empoleon set then I think the potency of this core goes down a decent amount. The Zygarde core would be the other scary core simply cos T-Arrows is broken, but I think there is more counterplay to this than the Slowbro + Terrak core. Good submissions this week. :blobthumbsup:

Voting for Daunt+Zor because this team loses to Daunt's STABs besides MAltaria, which gets murdered or significantly chunked by Scizor. Still play around-able but Daunt+Scizor looks certainly scary at matchup for this team.

Voting for *Bro + Terrak* just because it feels the most thought out of the bunch. Future sight is really annoying with it chipping away terraks counters without reliable recovery (doublade) and that as Twilight said, Empoleon is the only true Slowbro switch in, giving the user easy opportunities to pivot into terrakion and once again begin the cycle of banded destruction.

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Congratulations to Sickist for winning last week with his Mega Slowbro + Terrakion submission!

Mygrein - 2
Bchezza - 2
Sickist - 4

This week's team comes from Juuno.

:sm/primarina: :sm/latias: :sm/steelix-mega: :sm/nihilego: :sm/bewear: :sm/rotom-mow:
Click sprites for team importable.

I decided to build a team around Specs Latias, since it’s a criminally underrated mon and relatively unexplored. To the surprise of literally nobody, I paired it with Primarina. The core can really throw people off at team preview - people often anticipate Specs Primarina and Calm Mind Latias instead of Specs Latias and Bulky Primarina. The Speed EVs on Prim outspeed bulky Scizor. Mega Steelix provides useful role compression with Rocks, a Ground-type, and a bulky Steel all in one. It also provides me with a wincon of sorts thanks to Curse. Next I needed at least two stall measures, preferably one of which could check Scizor. Infernape didn’t seem like a secure enough Scizor check for this type of team, so I decided on Bewear, paired with Toxic Spikes Nihilego for extra support. Lastly I wanted hazard removal and a secondary emergency check to Scizor. Estarossa can vouch for how little Rotom-Mow annoys his amazing genius sand balances that I love so much. It also helps Specs Latias and Bewear get in more easily and gives me a way to break Water-types aside from Latias.

Whats my last Submissions end Saturday due to late post!

Last edited:

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
:xy/volcanion: :xy/beedrill-mega:
Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run
- Pursuit

Decided to replace Scarf Krook with MegaBee since it pressures Mowtom better. Volcanion absolutely SLAPS this team by throwing around Steam Eruptions and Fire Blasts that nothing switches into. MegaBee supports this by U-turning it in while forcing Mowtom out and trapping Latias, making Volcanion all the more threatening. Bee also draws Bewear and Lix in, which makes it extremely hard to not sac a mon to Volcanion. The only issue here really is speedboosting Nihi should it get a kill, but even then without Electrium and lower SpA investment it should be manageable.

Last edited:

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
Core: Mega Manectric + SD Rock-Z Terrakion

With Specs Lati as the fastest Pokemon, and with Mega Steelix as the Ground-type, Mega Manectric is a massive threat that OHKOs. No Roost on Latias or Wish support for Steelix means it gets to chip away at the team freely, setting it up for a late game clean. Similarly, Terrakion outspeeds 5/6 members and spam CC freely. Even unboosted Z-Stone Edge does a significant amount to Primarina, and Latias again has no Roost so it cannot come in freely on CC.

Necrozma @ Metronome / Psychium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Photon Geyser
- Stealth Rock
- Heat Wave
- Signal Beam

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Necrozma destroys everything with Photon Geyser once Latias is dead, Scizor traps Latias for Necrozma and can bring it in "safely" with U-turn against Steelix and Bewear.

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock

Silvally-Steel @ Steel Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Parting Shot
- Toxic
- Flamethrower
- Defog

This team has no haze, phasing moves, or toxic, making it very weak to fat set up. Silvally-Steel serves as a solid switch-in to Pokemon that Slowbro cannot deal with before any boosts, like Rotom, Nihilego, and Latias; it can also defog away Nihilego's toxic spikes. Parting shot weakens the attacks of whatever you use it on, while also giving Slowbro a free switch-in, making it easier to set up.

Slowbro itself is very difficult for this team to stop after just one cm boost. For example, if Rotom switches in on Slowbro as you click cm, then leaf storms before you click cm again, it cannot KO you with a second leaf storm:

252 SpA Rotom-Mow Leaf Storm vs. +1 252 HP / 180 SpD Slowbro-Mega: 240-284 (60.9 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-2 252 SpA Rotom-Mow Leaf Storm vs. +2 252 HP / 180 SpD Slowbro-Mega: 90-108 (22.8 - 27.4%) -- 46.3% chance to 4HKO

Nidoqueen+CB Scizor?

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

This is obviously very prediction-reliant but if Nido clicks the right moves the only mons that aren't OHKO'd are Bewear and Latias, the former takes at least 80 from Sludge Wave and the latter gets two-shot by anything bar EP.
Scizor is also pretty threatening, as even Bewear and Steelix get chunked down pretty hard with CB Superpower, leaving only Primarina as a switch-in that relies on Rest. U-Turn lets Nido in safely, prevents Mowtom from switching in directly, and draws in Steelix or Primarina to get one-shot by Nido. It also does enough chip on Bewear to basically guarantee the OHKO from Sludge Wave. Nido on the other hand draws in Latias, and after it gets trapped by Scizor can start taking names without issues.

Outside of this team, Nido can pressure Fires and Electrics with hazards+EP, which Scizor appreciates, while drawing in Psychics and special walls to get pivoted on or trapped, on top of blocking Volt Switch and checking Mega Mane.

Last edited:

Notily

dirt rich
Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 9 Spe
- Earthquake
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost

running prim as the fairy + no speed control means that mega sceptile clicks buttons pretty freely. running lix as the steel makes this weakness worse because it means leaf storm is free af. only way this team has any chance of beating scept is by keeping tspikes up so i paired it with a fogger that beats nihilego. glig can also uturn on prim switch ins to give scept more turns to clicc

Last edited:

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Congratulations to Adaam for winning this week with his Mega Manectric and Terrakion submission! Our next week's team comes from Scizorphobic!

Adaam - 4
Daiyaga - 3
VcrakeV - 1
Solaris & Lunaris - 1
Notily - 1
:sm/infernape: :sm/aerodactyl-mega: :sm/mimikyu: :sm/swampert: :sm/scizor: :sm/hydreigon:

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Slack Off
- Gunk Shot

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Fang
- Taunt

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Mirror Coat

Scizor @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Hydreigon @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 8 HP / 24 Def / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Roost

"I started with Taunt Aerodactly and SD LO Mmq since Aerodactyl can then more effectively wear down bulky physical mons for mmq to break later. I went with ice fang over aqua tail to have more use outside of annoying bulky grounds (hitting dragons). Swampert filled the ground type slot and had general ultility in addition to getting up rocks. Mirror Coat is a nice tech to smack Hydreigon and Primarina. Knock Off Scizor can remove lefties and make Aerodactyl more annoying and helps against mons like Doublade since Swampert can get worn down. Hydreigon is my hazard removal and can nuke with dragon z and hit the steels with fire blast. Infernape can be bluffed as NP with Aerodactyl's presence and is solid mixed attacker rn that can check Altaria and hit hard with its stabs, and can recover the recoil back up on sacks even. "

Submissions end Friday, have fun!

Scizor @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog
- Haze
This team really doesn't appreciate Sd Scizor, as this particular set as the moves which can take this team without much trouble. The team doesn't have good answers to Scizor as Infernape/Swampert get worn down very easily and Infernape would be too frail to take a +2 LO Quick Attack. Mantine its in as another pokemon that can effortlessly roost and stall out this team for the most part. It is a solid counter to Infernape + Scizor and that paired with scizor sounds like a pain for this.

Last edited:

Notily

dirt rich
Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

this team struggles to pressure bulky waters like suicune, and the sole water resist's only means of damaging it are draco / z which get pp stalled. suicune walls and can potentially set up vs every mon except for +2 mimikyu which is handled by mega aggron. cune doesnt even need to boost until hydrei and pert are burned and at that point it wins by itself

Last edited:
1568686723949.png
1568686954139.png

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Soak
- Recover
- Block

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
Physically Defensive Pyukumuku stonewalls most of the team, not really caring about Infernape, Aero-Mega, Swampert, Scizor, or Mimikyu. Blissey picks up the slack by handling Hydreigon with ease and consistently keeping up rocks in it's face.

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Roost
- Defog
- Heal Bell

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Curse

Articuno is an excellent check to Swampert, as it easily 2HKOs with freeze-dry, sponges its attacks, and keeps its rocks off the field. It is also capable of checking Hydreigon, which fails to 2HKO Articuno with Devastating Drake into fire blast (assuming you don't let Scizor knock off leftovers, which you shouldn't).

Quagsire walls and beats the rest of the team. Scald can cripple the physical attackers of the team, and also hits Aerodactyl for some damage. Toxic would be nice to catch Hydreigon on the switch, but curse makes it much quicker to dispose of Scizor. Hydreigon is often 2HKOed by Articuno anyway, which can stall out Hydreigon's roosts thanks to freeze-dry's high pp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)