Project Break This Team - Taking a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teddeh's Speed pass team has some issues in that everything but buff hates frostom, common ghosts wall and beat bouf while having taunt/wisp/thunder wave for crippling. So here is my own core for beating it.

Volbeat @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Rain Dance
- U-turn
- Encore
- Thunder Wave

Volbeat is a problem for this team. The entire team is crippled by paralysis save prinplup, and prankster encore prevents ninjask from working at all, let alone letting other mons set up. It has u-turn, which helps it switch mons in. With its bulk, it can paralyze 2-3 mons without recovery. If nothing else, volbeat singlehandedly prevents ninjask from speed passing and u-turns out on the switch.

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

As pointed out before, boltbeam wrecks the team save for bouf. Volt switch helps keep momentum, keeping teddeh from successfully setting up. With a scarf on it, it can outspeed most of the team even with speed boost, and with trick it can permanently lock mons such prinplup, ninjask, servine, and swoobat, and even if the others got tricked they don't like being choichrd locked, especially when both of the remaining use earthquake and you are using rotom.

Floatzel @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Return
- Power-up Punch

Physical Swift Float is one of the few good users of power up punch. With massive speed reaching over 700 in the rain and a second stab boost to waterfall, float can take out most of the time with waterfall ice punch return. Power up punch is specifically for bouf and prinplup, as the boost is very beneficial at taking them out; it also helps float keep its power when rain ceases.

Between any combo of just 2 of them, the team looks pretty dead. With all 3, there is no chance.

Note: this core wasn't built like other cores. This core was made to display specifically how NOT broken speed pass is. A good scarfer, a prankster abuser, and a weather abuser. There are many ways to get around speed pass. I even considered using trick room carbink just to spite the team. Sticky webs, paralysis, trick room, weather, burns, speedy encores/taunts, priority moves, trick/switcheroo, hazards, slow tanks, and stall in general, not to mention the best checks to passing since the beginning: phazing and pseudophazing (like haze). Speed pass is not broken. Chain passing is broken. Shell smash pass is broken. Perhaps even dance passing is broken. But speed by itself? Seeing as how a +6 mon moves at +/-0 when paralyzed, is -6 in tick room, still loses to priority, and etc I just can't see it as broken. Broken to me is something that cannot be easily dealt with. No matter how fast you make a mon, if it isn't strong enough to bust through it can still die. A lot. It can be crippled a lot. Even with ideal +6/+6 how does it fair when it dies to the priority move coming up? Speed pass to me is simply free turns for your opponent to take advantage of predictability.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Teddeh's Speed pass team has some issues in that everything but buff hates frostom, common ghosts wall and beat bouf while having taunt/wisp/thunder wave for crippling. So here is my own core for beating it.

Volbeat @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Rain Dance
- U-turn
- Encore
- Thunder Wave

Volbeat is a problem for this team. The entire team is crippled by paralysis save prinplup, and prankster encore prevents ninjask from working at all, let alone letting other mons set up. It has u-turn, which helps it switch mons in. With its bulk, it can paralyze 2-3 mons without recovery. If nothing else, volbeat singlehandedly prevents ninjask from speed passing and u-turns out on the switch.

Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

As pointed out before, boltbeam wrecks the team save for bouf. Volt switch helps keep momentum, keeping teddeh from successfully setting up. With a scarf on it, it can outspeed most of the team even with speed boost, and with trick it can permanently lock mons such prinplup, ninjask, servine, and swoobat, and even if the others got tricked they don't like being choichrd locked, especially when both of the remaining use earthquake and you are using rotom.

Floatzel @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Return
- Power-up Punch

Physical Swift Float is one of the few good users of power up punch. With massive speed reaching over 700 in the rain and a second stab boost to waterfall, float can take out most of the time with waterfall ice punch return. Power up punch is specifically for bouf and prinplup, as the boost is very beneficial at taking them out; it also helps float keep its power when rain ceases.

Between any combo of just 2 of them, the team looks pretty dead. With all 3, there is no chance.

Note: this core wasn't built like other cores. This core was made to display specifically how NOT broken speed pass is. A good scarfer, a prankster abuser, and a weather abuser. There are many ways to get around speed pass. I even considered using trick room carbink just to spite the team. Sticky webs, paralysis, trick room, weather, burns, speedy encores/taunts, priority moves, trick/switcheroo, hazards, slow tanks, and stall in general, not to mention the best checks to passing since the beginning: phazing and pseudophazing (like haze). Speed pass is not broken. Chain passing is broken. Shell smash pass is broken. Perhaps even dance passing is broken. But speed by itself? Seeing as how a +6 mon moves at +/-0 when paralyzed, is -6 in tick room, still loses to priority, and etc I just can't see it as broken. Broken to me is something that cannot be easily dealt with. No matter how fast you make a mon, if it isn't strong enough to bust through it can still die. A lot. It can be crippled a lot. Even with ideal +6/+6 how does it fair when it dies to the priority move coming up? Speedpass to me is simply free turns for your opponent to take advantage of predictability.
Regardless of how broken speedpass actually is, how does this core demonstrate that rain isn't broken? Being forced to run volbeat, rotom on rain, and a massively suboptimal floatzel set sounds a lot like overcentralization, as does some of the below stuff like trick room carbink. This just isn't an effective way to show that there's no reason to get all worked up about speedpass.

Rotom is perfectly fine on rain for one, second any paralysis spreader suffices and I chose Volbeat because despite how good it is, people always underrate and underestimate it. Lastly, that is not a massively suboptimal float set. Physical swift swim lo is perfectly viable for rain teams, and aqua jet is super redundant for floatzel under rain so it can afford to drop jet for another move such as crunch or pup. I chose pup because it was better than crunch or aqua jet vs this team; that being said, I wasn't forced to use pup. I wasn't forced to use rain. I wasn't forced to use rotom on rain. If you judge it as a bad core, oh well; but it not only utterly obliterates this team, but that very fact is against your argument, not for it. If we assume the core is bad, which I disagree with 100%, then clearly the fact that such a bad core would dismantle it so easily when the same structure with any other more approved mons such as grumpig stunfisk or misdreavus over volbeat, any decent scarfer whether or not rotom-f, and a win con capable of busting through most of the team such as huntail, normal floatzel, sd monferno, NP Mime, or etc will break this team beyond repair. The meta is full of things speed pass hates, and even less popular mons and sets in the meta do it to. If that core is actually bad, the fact that any of the various other mons capable of breaking it to an equal or greater extent (which there are many) should prove speed pass isn't broken every bit as much as the original logic, which was this near thoughtless 15 second core woth a structure of para spammer + scarfer + wincon being able to beat it so easily would show that its really not that broken.

But I digress. My point had been made anyway.

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm sorry that I wasn't clear, the point wasn't that your core sucks for one reason or another. It's just that on the bottom, you made the main point that "This core was made to display specifically how NOT broken speed pass is". Rain is a very specific, more of a counterteam play style. It's not that great or common or easy to fit on a set. Your core flattens the team, it just shouldn't be extrapolated from this one core that the team is very easy to beat. However, since I'd rather not waste multiple posts on this topic...
e: deleted stuff about the core's viability, that wasn't the point

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Sleep Powder / Encore
- Seed Bomb
- U-turn

Sleep Infiltrator Jumpluff can put a lot of pressure on Ninjask to prevent too many boosts from being passed and basically force bouff to be the receiver or a perfectly predicted full health servine, which makes this core especially problematic if you have a counter to bouff like Misdreavus.

Simipour @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Paired with a secondary attacker to help check all 3 mons before they accumulate too many boosts as well as your normal counterplay of SR, having any electric type at all, etc. these guys can put some decent pressure and provide a safety net as long as swoobat isn't passed a ton of speed with no other checks. Best I could come up with in 5 minutes, but general fast offensive threats that have some kind of safety net for passing like lots of priority or the threat of sleep infiltrator helps a lot.

Last edited:

PTF

girl
is a Tiering Contributor
We've had great discussion on the topic of Speed Pass and now it's time to vote on which core effectively breaks Teddeh's Speed Pass Team.

Featured Cores:
Core 1: Lapras + Misdreavus by Rennyjesus

Core 2: Altaria + Misdreavus by Slowbroth

Core 3: Rotom + Drifblim by 5gen

Core 4: Volbeat + Rotom + Floatzel by Levohl

Core 5: Jumpluff + Simipour by Megazard

Vote for your favourite core.
Thankyou for all your contributions. Thank you Teddeh for letting us use your team.

PTF

girl
is a Tiering Contributor
Congratulations to this weeks winner 5gen.
The winning core of Rotom + Drifblim was voted the best core that would effectively break Teddeh 's speed pass team.

This week we feature a team contributed by one of PU's most loved - MaroGod. The team is based around Ferno+Rotom core using Prin+Clef as the defensive backbone and Reli as a second wincon and Murkrow as a trapper/breaker

Monferno @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Prinplup @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Scald
- Yawn

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off

Murkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Relicanth @ Chople Berry
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Head Smash
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

MZ

035.png
711.png
531.png

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave

Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis
- Foul Play
- Leech Seed

Audino @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Encore

In loving memory of trash's PU open dreams, here's the core that you need to Trick at the right time or hope they don't know how to keep a Clefairy healthy for Monferno to have a shot at beating.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-409345505

Not posting a core this go, but just saying: new drops are easy to take advantage of here. A scarf rotom S set for instance would hurt the entire team, as trick would cripple clefairy, and stab does heaps of damage to relicanth, prinplup, monferno, and murkrow. Muk has a fun time as well, also dealing excellent damage to the whole team. Cacturne same. This is probably because the team was not built with them in mind in the slightest.

Exactly. They weren't around. That's why it I stated as fact that it was not built with them in mind at all.

And no thanks. I'm too lazy to change my picture. And besides, you get the cool marowak.

Edit (updated for pic change)

Last edited:
Rotom S + Pawniard

Rotom-Fan @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Air Slash
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Psycho Cut

I am running Rotom-S as it can do alot of damage to most mons in this team with tbolt or it can use volt switch for momentum. Trick also helps when against the clefairy, to get rid of its eviolite. Rotom-S acts as a monferno switch-in against this team which is something pawniard doesn't appreciate.

I chose Pawniard because it resists the Rotom-F, which is something Rotom-S struggles against and it can deal alot of damage to the clefairy. I chose to run Psycho Cut as monferno bait as it can 2hko. 252+ Atk Pawniard Psycho Cut vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Monferno: 142-168 (52.7 - 62.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. With a high crit ratio it also has a chance of ohkoing too which helps against this team.

Gonna post a "lazy" core here, but it really is a fun, classic offensive one with some twists.

Coba Leaf + Special Scarf Float

Leafeon @ Coba Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Aerial Ace
- Swords Dance

Floatzel @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Veil
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Focus Blast

The offensive duo of Leafeon and Floatzel pressures this balance team considerably. The team has few Leafeon switch ins, especially after rocks, and its bulk helps it take priority attacks that may want to come its way such as Sucker Punch or Mach Punch. Coba Berry helps Leafeon tank a Brave Bird, and retaliate with Leaf Blade, which, after rocks, Life Orb and recoil damage, KO's Murkrow. Leafeon greatly pressures specially defensive Clefairy, as it can knock off the Eviolite to assist special Float; Leafeon also pressures Prinplup, Relicanth and Monferno, as Aerial Ace is a 2HKO on the switch in. To benefit from Leafeon's work, Scarf Floatzel was added with proper coverage to outspeed and clean the opposing team.

You can also just run standard Frustration which also 2HKOs Monferno after rocks (instead of AA) and hits Murkrow neutrally, I guess. But i think aa is kinda cool.

Last edited:
Lampent + Tangela + Muk (Trick Room Bulky Offensive Core)

Lampent @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Fire Blast

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Giga Drain
- HP Ice
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder

Muk @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Poison Jab
- Power-Up Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Punch

Seeing that some of the Pokemon in MaroGod's team are fast, I thought, why not come up with a Trick Room core? So here it is! Lampent walls Monferno (immune to its STABs) and can setup Trick Room on it. Energy Ball should be used on the predicted switch-in to the bulky waters if Trick Room has already been setup. Tangela is a good partner to Lampent, able to OHKO Relicanth and Prinplup (latter with a decent roll) with SE Leaf Storm, or just with Giga Drain for Relicanth. Sleep Powder can shut down Monferno or Murkrow on the switch-in, the latter is OHKO with HP Ice. Muk can easily come in on Rotom-F, as Sticky Hold negates Trick, Assault Vest keeps Muk bulky to tank special hits, and Muk can easily use Power-up Punch on Rotom-F (or any Pokemon it is switched out to since there are no ghosts) for a +1. With the maxed physical defense EV spread, Muk can take 2 hits of Flare Blitz from Monferno (or one +2 Flare Blitz) and a Head Smash from Relicanth if needed. Clefairy is 2HKO'd by Muk's SE Poison Jab, and the most it could do was to annoy Muk with Thunder Wave hax. I chose PJ over Gunk Shot due to better accuracy. Murkrow is very frail and has a small chance of being OHKO'd with Thunderpunch without boosts, or a guaranteed OHKO at +1, while Muk can take 2 hits or more of any move it carries. Fire Punch is for dealing with Rotom-F after Power-up Punch is used.

252+ SpA Life Orb Lampent Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Monferno: 255-302 (94.7 - 112.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Monferno Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Muk: 133-157 (32.1 - 37.9%) -- 94.9% chance to 3HKO
+2 252+ Atk Monferno Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Muk: 264-312 (63.7 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Relicanth Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Muk: 181-214 (43.7 - 51.6%) -- 10.2% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Tangela Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Murkrow: 262-310 (100.3 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Tangela Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Prinplup: 324-384 (97.5 - 115.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Tangela Giga Drain vs. 40 HP / 0 SpD Relicanth: 640-756 (174.3 - 205.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 Atk Muk Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Eviolite Clefairy: 198-234 (57.5 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Rotom-F Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Muk: 103-123 (24.8 - 29.7%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO
4 Atk Muk Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rotom-F: 106-126 (43.9 - 52.2%) -- 13.3% chance to 2HKO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)