Walrus Brainpanic's Weebrus [FINISHED - Thanks for participating!]

Otaku-tachi wa hajimeyou!

A MAL staff member reveals the true ultimate goal of “the deep state”. (The Internet, 2020, colorized)

What is Walrus? It's a forum game where you submit songs to me according to various categories and I rank and score them based on how much I like them.

To join, simply sign up in this thread (or drop me a DM at BrainpanSonata#0280). Submissions must be done by PM/DM, including YouTube, Soundcloud, Bandcamp, or Vimeo links to your picks. One by one, categories will be revealed in the official walrus Discord server and the respective threads. Aim for the highest overall score, or play along for fun and the love of music.

Scores will be logged and tracked via Google spreadsheet. Scoring is done on a 0.0-10.0 points range based on how much I enjoy a song and how well it fits the respective category. My scoring system runs along the same lines as MyAnimeList: 5s are boring, 6s are okay, 7s are good, 8s are great, 9s are awesome, and if you get a 4 or below ya dun goofed. Will anyone send me a 10 point masterpiece? We’ll see…

There are special rules in place for this themed walrus:

1. Since this is based on the MyAnimeList Manga Reading Challenge, 20 categories will be available to choose from, all of them based on actual challenge categories from the 2020 Manga Reading Challenge. However, you only have to sub to 10 categories. And you may only sub to any given category once. Your scores for categories you don’t sub to will be marked as blank and shouldn’t affect your overall score.
  2. Because of Special Rule 1, you need to inform me which categories you’re going to sub to by the signups deadline, whether or not you sub all songs at once. Category swaps are permitted and will fall under the same purview as song swaps do in Rule 9.
  1. Any categories you select and then fail to submit for will automatically be scored 0. You can send submissions at any point up to the day before the respective category’s scheduled reveal. In some cases, depending on my schedule, I may be lenient enough to accept submissions up to the T-minus 12 hours mark. I will actively check in with players who have unfilled submissions to help prevent catfails.
  2. Any submissions which don't fit the qualifying requirements of their respective category will automatically be scored 0. For example, if I had a category about guitars and you subbed an acapella song, you would catfail.
  3. You will need to change your submission if it's a song I submitted to a previous walrus.
  4. You will need to change your submission if it's a song I used as an example, header, or outro in this walrus or my previous walruses. Yes, this does mean Watsky subs are more likely to get stamped Return To Sender.
  5. Tracking for rules 3 and 4 is solely the responsibility of the host. I will crosscheck all submissions and let you know if something needs to be changed. I will also let you know of any technical errors which might require you to change the links to your submissions.
  6. You will need to change your submission if I can't bring myself to listen to it in its entirety more than once. This pertains not just to the banlist found in Rule 10, but also to anything pitch shifted/chipmunked, played on a kazoo/vuvuzela/air horn, and/or painfully out of tune. If you value scoring high on the leaderboard, then this is not the hill you die on.
  7. If you send me a 240p or 144p vid and a better version is available, I reserve the right to switch to the better version. I will inform you privately if I do so.
  8. If two or more players submit the same song for a category, the second (and third and so on) person to submit the song will be given the option to change their submission. If they decide to stick with it, it will be given a single score and the players involved will tie in that round's rankings. This type of tie will be expressed in dense ranking (eg. 1223) rather than standard competition ranking (eg. 1224).
  9. You can change your submissions at your leisure. As with late submissions, song changes will be accepted at any point up to the day before the respective category’s reveal. Unlike Rule 1, I will not accept T-12 hour sub swaps because getting in a song that may do better or worse isn’t as urgent as avoiding a 0.
  10. My ban list is Nickelback, Owl City, Operation Ivy, The Neighbourhood, Kings of Leon, and US band Backlash. Swedish band Backlash is okay, but I have too many issues with that trumped up Pink Floyd cover band by the same name.
1. Read a featured manga. - Link to the article in which it was mentioned.
Ever read an online article about a musician or a band? Music news sites like Pitchfork, Rolling Stone, udiscovermusic, multipurpose news sites like The Guardian, The Atlantic, NPR… that sort of thing. Go find one of those articles and then send me any song by the musician/band the article is about. Please include a link to the article in question for cross checking purposes.
Examples:
Starboy by The Weeknd | The related article
The Bird by Anderson .Paak | The related article

2. Read a manga that got cancelled/axed.
Send me a song by a band that broke up. Reasons and reunions are irrelevant for this category.
Examples:
Take It Easy by The Eagles
To The End by My Chemical Romance

3. Read a manga by your favorite author/artist.
This one should be straight forward. A song from any one of your favorite artists.
Examples:
Time Is Running Out by Muse
Saeed by Infected Mushroom

4. Read a manga by an author you don't like.
Brace yourself and dig for trash: I want to hear a song by a musician/band that you hate. This is not necessarily a bad songs cat, so the scoring will not be reversed for this round.
Examples:
Fireflies by Owl City
How You Remind Me by Nickleback

5. Read a manga that has been adapted to live action.
Send me the live version of a song. Yes, I’m picky as hell about live audio quality, but a category where everyone’s not crammed into the 9s is a breath of fresh air.
Examples:
Piggy (Tension Tour Live) by Nine Inch Nails
The Man Who Sold The World (MTV Unplugged) by Nirvana

6. Read a Sci-Fi or Horror manga.
The song you send must contain sci-fi and/or horror elements. Consider this a mashup between my future cat from PS2020 and the ever popular Lute cat.
Examples:
Story 7 by clipping.
Godzilla by Blue Oyster Cult

7. Read a manga that started serialization before or in the 70s.
Send me a song that was first released in the 70s. Remastered versions are fine as long as the original release date checks out.
Examples:
Play That Funky Music by Wild Cherry
Black Betty by Ram Jam

8. Read a manga that started serialization before or in the 80s.
Send me a song that was first released in the 80s. Remastered versions are fine as long as the original release date checks out.
Examples:
Who Can It Be Now? by Men At Work
Stand and Deliver by Adam and the Ants

9. Read a manga that started serialization before or in the 90s.
Send me a song that was first released in the 90s. Remastered versions are fine as long as the original release date checks out.
Examples:
Tubthumping by Chumbawamba
Creep by Radiohead

10. Read a manga that started serialization before or in the 2000s.
Send me a song that was first released in the 2000s. Remastered versions are fine as long as the original release date checks out.
Examples:
Mr. Brightside by The Killers
Feel Good Inc. by Gorillaz

11. Read a manga that started serialization before or in the 2010s.
Send me a song that was first released in the 2010s. Remastered versions are fine as long as the original release date checks out.
Examples:
This Is America by Childish Gambino
Royals by Lorde

12. Read a manga that started publishing the same month and year as one of your listed favorites.
You’re all my favorites, so send me a song that was first released in the same year as your birth year. Like with the previous year-based categories, remastered versions are acceptable.
Examples from my own birth year:
Take On Me by a-ha
And She Was by Talking Heads

13. Read a manga with a main character older than 35 years.
Send me any song from a solo artist who is currently older than 35 or who passed away after the age of 35. How old the artist was at the time the song was recorded is irrelevant.
Examples:
Eet by Regina Spektor
Fly Me To The Moon by Frank Sinatra

14. Read a manga with at least 5 family members in the cast.
They don’t have to be related, but send me a song from a band with 5 or more members.
Examples:
No Strings Attached by NSYNC (5 members)
Put Your Money On Me by Arcade Fire (6 members)

15. Read a manga about delinquents.
How does this translate to music? Send me songs about crime. True crime, fictional crime; arson, murder, and jaywalking; send me a song where a crime is and/or was commited.
Examples:
The Prey by Dead Kennedys
Story 2 by clipping.

16. Read a manga with a vehicle in the cover. - Cars, Trains, Bicycles, Airplanes, etc.
Manga have covers, albums have covers… send me a song from an album with a vehicle on the cover. Anything that is considered a vehicle counts for this walrus. Please mention which album the song is from for cross checking purposes.
Examples:
Mind Eraser by The Black Keys | The album cover
You’ve Got A Chance by Bad Religion | The album cover

17. Read a manga with weather conditions on the cover. - Such as Rain, Snow, Fog, Thunder, etc.
Manga have covers, albums have covers… send me a song from an album with visible weather conditions on the cover. Symbols that represent various weather conditions also count for this walrus. Please mention which album the song is from for cross checking purposes.
Examples:
The Man’s Too Strong by Dire Straits | The album cover
Bad Sweet Trap by LiSA | The album cover

18. Read a manga with a one word title.
Send me a song with a one word title. Simple as that.
Examples:
Question! by System Of A Down
Choke by I DON'T KNOW HOW BUT THEY FOUND ME

19. Read a manga with 6 or more words in its title.
Send me a song with 6+ words in the title. Sections of the song title bracketed by parentheses count towards the qualifier, excluding version details like (Remastered) or (So and So Remix) or (Live at Somewhere) or (Metal Cover) or (Official Audio). Otherwise, simple as that.
Examples:
If You’re Looking For Your Knife… I Think My Back Found It by Zebrahead
Pretty Fly (For A White Guy) by The Offspring

20. Re-read a manga.
Re-read? Re...sub? Send me a song you previously subbed to someone else’s walrus. Any walrus where I wasn’t the host is fair game for this category. Please mention which walrus you subbed to, for cross checking purposes.
Examples from my use list:
Stick To Your Guns by Watsky ft. Julia Nunes (subbed to vonFiedler’s do you like older music von, musicneverdies’s Walrus Never Dies, and others)
Lake Pontchartrain by Ludo (subbed to Bloody’s Another Wall Ross Walrus and others)

Q: This is my first time in one of your walruses. What kind of music do you like?
A: I’m one of those guys who says I like everything and pretty much means it, with the insanely high scores to prove it. The examples, headers, and outros listed in the OP are a good sample of music I like (barring the Hated Artists cat, of course). Another good rule of thumb is to pay attention to my banlist and to Rule 6. And one more hint: I’ve never added them to the banlist, but I really don’t care for Bloodhound Gang.

Q: How are reveals going to be handled with optional categories?
A: The default is two categories per reveal. If there are some categories that get a low number of subs, e.g. 20 songs between four or five categories, I’ll lump those categories into a single reveal. In contrast, if a single category gets 20 subs, it’ll probably get its own reveal. These reveal variations would be announced in advance, usually at the end of the previous reveal.

Q: What happens if nobody subs to a particular category?
A: I play the header, I play the outro, and then we move on. If it’s 0 subs in Hated Artist, we just move on, because what’s the point in torturing myself for nothing?

Q: Can I do all 20 categories anyway?
A: You could, but in fairness to the other contestants, I’d make you pick which ten get ranked and scored. The other ten would be played as bonus songs.

Q: Speaking of bonuses, will there be bonus points this time?
A: No.

Q: Why isn’t the delinquents category about PUNK music?
A: Because the 21-way tie for first I talked about in the last walrus was supposed to be a joke.

Q: How am I gonna know stuff like breakups, clouds on covers, how old someone is, or whatever?
A: Google is your friend.

Q: Are you SURE the Hated Artist category isn’t a bad songs category?
A: There are many different reasons to hate a certain musician or band. I can’t stand Kings of Leon because even though their music is good, whenever I hear it I think about the time birds shat on them in concert.

Q: I thought you were doing some sort of plagiarism project for your next walrus.
A: Nope. This idea jumped into my brain and demanded priority. I have two big walrus endeavors planned after this one, but one of them’s not happening until Fall/Winter and the other needs a lot of legwork and contact with other walrus hosts to become a reality.

Q: I’m worried that I’ll tank if I send you a live song. Any advice?
A: Don’t send me something shot on a cellphone.

Q: There aren’t many Sci-Fi Horror songs out there…
A: That category is and/or, like how Hydra cats are horns and/or strings.

Q: What if the 35+ song has a featuring artist?
A: The main singer has to be 35+, the featuring artist can be any age.

Q: Can I send a band with a member who’s 35 or older?
A: The category specifically says solo artists. Applying it to bands as well would make it harder for people to do research for the category. However, if a band has a 35+ member who has recorded one or more solo albums, that person and anything off their solo albums is fair game.

Q: Why 35? Why not 30 or 27?
A: The category titles are worded exactly the same as their respective categories in the 2020 Manga Reading Challenge. I had to interpret some of them for walrus purposes, but otherwise I’m not going to deviate from what it says on the tin.

Q: Is this another mashup friendly walrus?
A: The last three categories are very mashup friendly. Live cat and the album cover cats are gonna be damn near impossible to sub mashups for. You can’t add up disparate singers/bands in a mashup for the 5+ band members category; it’d have to include a band with 5+ members along with whatever other artists are in the song. Everything else is YMMV and subject to host discretion for qualifiers.

Q: In your last walrus, you made a list of all the songs you were gonna use for headers and outros.
A: Yes, I did. And I’m doing the same for this walrus. The following are my headers and outros for the walrus:

Guess Again! by Thom Yorke
Get By by Talib Kweli
Icky Thump by The White Stripes
Drunk Girls by LCD Soundsystem
Don’t Be Nice by Watsky
Freaktender by DJ Cummerbund
Use Somebody by Kings of Leon
Sweater Weather by The Neighborhood
Thunderstruck (Live at Donington) by AC/DC
Jigsaw (Apartment Sessions) by Gene Shinozaki
The Mack by Beat Circus
Flash’s Theme by Queen
September by Earth, Wind & Fire
Baba O’Riley by The Who
Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley
YYZ by Rush
Of Wolf and Man by Metallica
The Scratch by 7 Year Bitch
East Jesus Nowhere by Green Day
The Three of Us by Streetlight Manifesto
Power by Kanye West
Scary Monsters & Nice Sprites by Skrillex
The Power of Love by Huey Lewis and The News
Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears for Fears
Keep Off The Lawn by Aesop Rock
Fame by David Bowie
Devil’s Dance Floor by Flogging Molly
Hollow Moon (Bad Wolf) by AWOLNATION
Frankie and Johnny by Louis Armstrong
The Cell Block Tango from the Chicago movie soundtrack
Man, It’s So Loud in Here by They Might Be Giants
Deaf Forever by Motorhead
Brain Damage by Pink Floyd
Leave In Silence by Depeche Mode
Reptilia by The Strokes
Dangerous by Big Data ft. Joywave
You Know What The Do To Guys Like Us In Prison by My Chemical Romance
A Little Less “Sixteen Candles”, A Little More Touch Me by Fall Out Boy
The Rifle’s Spiral by The Shins
The Finish Line by Michael Angelo Batio

Signups

1. Aladyyn [Smogon]
  2. BLOODYRAIN10001 [Kongregate]
  3. termi [Smogon]
  4. LordQuas [Mafia Universe]
  5. Logic [Mafia Universe]
  6. nutella [Mafia Universe]
  7. Egix96 [Mafia Universe]
  8. MyNameIsNothing [Kongregate]
  9. Andy Snype [Smogon]
  10. silmarils [Mafia Universe]
  11. shubaka17 [Smogon]
  12. Lectrys [Smogon]
  13. HeaLnDeaL [Smogon]
  14. Crux [Smogon]
  15. t om [Mafia Universe]
  16. Martin [Smogon]
  17. ZombiestookmyTV [Kongregate]
  18. gbsfranca [Mafia Universe]
  19. Energy [Smogon]
  20. RaceBandit [Kongregate]
  21. 3cheersforidiots [Mafia Universe]
  22. Ampharos [Mafia Universe]
  23. Sultan of Skook [Smogon]
  24. Owner Of A Lonely Heart [Mafia Universe]
  25. Isa [Smogon]
  26. This could be YOU!

Like my last walrus, you have until the end of the month to sign up. Even better, this time you get the whole month. Send me a list of your planned categories and at least your Featured Artist and/or Breakup subs before July 1st.

Last edited:
NOTE: I said Featured Artist or Breakup, but you aren't required to sub to cats 1 or 2 if you don't want to. As long as you get in the first of the ten you plan to sub, it's all gravy.

Here is this week's Weebrus Update.

After one week of signups, we have:
19 players
7 full subs
3 partial subs

Our most subbed category is Live Action.
Our least subbed categories are Hated Artist, Crime, and Weather Covers.
There are no zero-sub categories.

This has been the weekly Weebrus Update. Activity Pings will go out on Saturday for those who have requested them.

Walrus Update

We are currently standing at 21 players, with the promise of 22
Most and least subbed cats remain the same since the last update.

Players with pending cat lists/subs have been pinged/contacted.

12 days remain in Weebrus signups phase.

We're in the home stretch for signups! 9 days left! If you want to signup or have already signed but haven't sent anything yet, here's the two things I need from you before the deadline:

1) A list of the ten categories you want to sub to. This list doesn't have to be set in stone- cat swaps can be done any time before their respective reveals, just like song swaps- but it gives me a guideline of what I can expect from you (and when if you stagger your later subs) and helps me when setting up the sum functions on the scoresheet. This is the most important thing I need from you before deadline.

2) Your first sub in the list, especially if you are subbing a song for Featured Artist and/or Breakup! Subs for later cats aren't as crucial as these first two cats, since I accept subs during judging phases as per Rule 1 and the cats may not be revealed in numerical order. However, I am not accepting retroactive subs because the variable format allows for more subbing flexibility. If you miss out on subbing for a particular category before that category is revealed, you'll be limited to the remaining categories. This is why there is a high priority for Feature Artist and Breakup subs before the signups deadline.

Thanks to everyone who has signed up for the Weebrus. I look forward to getting down to the nitty gritty of the variable format and judging subs once signups are finished.

Today is the last day to signup for Weebrus! Songs for individual cats can be submitted any time up to the day before their respective reveals, but retroactive subs will not be allowed.

First reveal - Featured Artist & Breakup - will take place sometime next week. I need to work around wrapping up and revealing my category for MU Olympics Walrus, so I do not have a date locked in for the first Weebrus reveal. I will make another announcement when a date has been decided.

Weebrus signups are officlally over. Thank you to everyone who signed. Our walrus is capping out at 25 contestants.
Here's the current breakdown of category sizes:
Featured Artist - 11 subs
Breakup - 11
Fave Artist - 18
Hated Artist - 3
Live - 15
Sci-Fi/Horror - 11
70s - 7
80s - 10
90s - 12
2000s - 14
2010s - 15
Birth Year - 9
35+ - 11
5+ Members - 12
Crime - 5
Vehicle Covers - 5
Weather Covers - 2
1 Word Title - 20
6+ Words Title - 18
Resub - 9
Fave Artist, Live, 1 Word Title, and 6+ Words Title will each be getting thier own reveal.
Hated Artist, Crime, Vehicle Covers, and Weather Covers will all be revealed together.
My current estimate for the Cats 1 & 2 reveal is either Friday the 10th or Saturday the 11th, but this is not set in stone. Stay tuned for an official reveal date announcement at the start of next week.

First Reveal: (1 & 2) Featured Artist & Breakup

11 contestants subbed to Featured Artist, while 12 contestants subbed to Breakup. For the sake of brevity, qualifying articles will not be included in the Featured Artists reveal.

Category 1: Featured Artist

This category's header is Guess Again! by Thom Yorke. The bonus header is Soldiers of the Wasteland by Dragonforce.

11th Place
Submitted by Isa
Score: 5.9

Only Shallow by My Bloody Valentine

I’m splitting my listening time between trying to recall which genre this sounds like and trying to discern the lyrics drowned out by the guitars. And not having much luck doing either, which really detracts from the experience.
10th Place
Submitted by Lectrys
Score: 8.0

Winter Games by David Foster

For some reason my mind went straight to Wii Sports Resort. Which isn’t really doing this justice even if it kinda makes sense.
9th Place
Submitted by MNIN
Score: 8.2

Tessio by Luomo

Long subs already? You tryna give termi a run for her money here? It’s quite proggish. Keeps it chill without being monotonous or growing boring. For some reason, I thought it would suddenly stop being chill and explode trying to be a banger.
8th Place
Submitted by Logic
Score: 8.3

Okay (Van Wilder Mix) by Swirl 360

Yeah, this does have that “cathartic walk-into-the-sunset scene of a movie” vibe to it.
7th Place
Submitted by Egix
Score: 8.6

Slow Life by Super Furry Animals

Pretty chill, pretty neat. The instrumentals between the vocals are earcatching.
6th Place
Submitted by Heal
Score: 8.7

Unbecoming by Ragana

Okay, Heal, you’ve piqued my interest. It was a little rougher around the edges than the intro and outro led me to believe, but this is anything but boring.
5th Place
Submitted by gbs
Score: 8.9

DIET_ by Denzel Curry & Kenny Beats

Relentless flow and some beautiful wordplay and metaphors here.
4th Place
Submitted by Energy
Score: 9.0

I’m In A Hurry (And Don’t Know Why) by Alabama

Part of me hopes applying Hotelling’s Law to past champs’ subs is gonna be your Weebrus theme.
3rd Place
Submitted by 3cheers
Score: 9.1

Sugar Youth by Green Day

Oh boy, new Green Day. I really need to check out this album soon as possible.
2nd Place
Submitted by shubaka
Score: 9.2

Bad Boy by Red Velvet

I wanna call this KR&B instead of Kpop because it’s just got that vibe to it. That sweet, smooth vibe.
1st Place
Submitted by Crux
Score: 9.3

Verklärte Nacht, Op.4 by Arthur Schoenberg

What was that I said about long subs? Oh goodness.

I tried to just listen to this while I was doing other things, only to realize after a few minutes that it wasn’t going to happen. This is such a stirring piece that it distracted me from chatting and posting online.

And our outro is Get By by Talib Kweli.

Please enjoy this intermission between categories.

Category 2: Breakup

This category's header is Icky Thump by The White Stripes.

12th Place
Submitted by Egix
Score: 7.0

Everywhere by Fleetwood Mac

There are better Fleetwood Mac songs out there. It’s not bad, but it’s no Rhiannon.
11th Place
Submitted by 3cheers
Score: 7.2

Surface of the Sun by Yellowcard

I wanna say this would’ve been a younger me’s jam, but that younger me is probably middle school me who hadn’t discovered Fall Out Boy or Linkin Park yet.
10th Place
Submitted by Quas
Score: 7.6

Japam by Botch

Konnichiwa? I like the guitars. I like it a bit more when I stop trying to discern the lyrics.
9th Place
Submitted by Isa
Score: 8.0

Desire by Talk Talk

I was kinda hoping it’d be that chill vibe for the whole thing, but then it would suddenly explode in a flurry of sound. I can dig it, but those flurries took some getting used to.
8th Place
Submitted by Skook

While My Guitar Gently Weeps by The Beatles

I once said long ago that The Beatles are 6.5 material. I was wrong. Parlophone-era Beatles songs are 6.5 material and they only got better from there.
7th Place
Submitted by Amy

Red Paper Lanterns by Maybeshewill

This one’s all about the guitars, and clean, complex licks at that.
6th Place
Submitted by RB
Score: 8.8

Wipeout by Fat Boys & The Beach Boys

This is pretty fun. It’s kind of like a mashup between the Beach Boys and the Beastie Boys.
5th Place
Submitted by Lectrys

Those Who Fight Further by The Black Mages

Part of me understands that this breakup was inevitable. Distant Worlds started stealing the spotlight and the games started going in a direction where the band wasn’t getting new material to work with. Though another part of me wishes Squeenix had started making another Tactics trilogy instead of going the MMObile route.
4th Place
Submitted by Logic

Let’s All Make Believe by Oasis

Of all the bands I’ve slept on, I never expected Oasis would be the one I regret not discovering sooner.
3rd Place
Submitted by Aladyyn

Bard’s Song by Blind Guardian

Oh, right. You sent me the live version. This is… actually pretty cool with how the audience sings along.
2nd Place
Submitted by t om

The Importance Of Being Idle by Oasis

Damn, I don’t appreciate Oasis as much as I should. Once you get over the Wonderwall, there’s a land of bangers to be found.
1st Place
Submitted by gbs

Watercolour by Pendulum

This banger is kinda epic. I could totally binge this on repeat. Probably will later.

And our outro is Drunk Girls by LCD Soundsystem.

And that’s our first reveal!
Our current podium is, from first to third: gbsfranca, Logic, and Lectrys.
Not surprisingly, that’s three people who subbed to both categories. We don’t even have all our contestants on the scoreboard yet, so you’ll just have to stay tuned to see how future results play out.

Our next reveal is (3) Favorite Artist. We’ll listen to a few of our favorite things on Monday the 27th at 2pm CDT (7pm UTC).

[6:42 PM] Brainpanic-sama: Fave Artist is getting a small bump back to Wednesday the 12th. There will be no more delays after that. I literally cannot bump it back further.

[6:44 PM] Brainpanic-sama: Furthermore, I will no longer be doing reveals on Mondays.

Second Reveal: (3) Favorite Artist

19 contestants subbed to Fave Artist. Shub's competing subs will be marked as shub-K and shub-C.

This category's header is Don't Be Nice by Watsky. The bonus header is Magia by Kalafina.

19th Place
Submitted by MNIN
Score: 7.5

Gimme Love by Carly Rae Jepsen

I tried to judge this 3 times before I finally got this writeup and score out. Kudos to you for subbing this, but every time my brain would go “I have other songs to judge, let’s go judge those instead”. When I get past that behavioral pattern, I find something that’s kinda catchy but tbh I’d probably like it more if the lyrics were in Japanese or Korean.
18th Place
Submitted by gbs
Score: 7.9

Dear Future Self by Kero Kero Bonito

Note to my future self: stop reading manga while listening to this or you will zone out again and never learn the lyrics.
17th Place
Submitted by RB
Score: 8.4

Sweetness by Jimmy Eat World

This sounds kinda familiar for something I’m hearing for the first time. The dynamics of the guitars filling in spaces between lyrics is nice.
16th Place
Submitted by silmarils
Score: 8.5

Surface Tension by Chris Christodoulou

I was gonna ping catgode, but it looks like he left the server. :(
15th Place
Submitted by Bloody

Akari ga yattekita zotsu by Gyari

5 minutes of Francium 2.0.
Tied for 13th Place
Submitted by Crux

Piano Trio No.2 in E Minor Op.67 Andante by Dmitri Shostakovich

Takes a few minutes to grip me like your last submission did, but I enjoy the interplay of the violin, cello, and piano.
Tied for 13th Place
Submitted by Skook

Take You On A Cruise by Interpol

The song almost feels like the waves alluded to in the lyrics. Pretty smooth sailing overall and maybe it’ll just carry you away if you let it.
Tied for 10th Place
Submitted by 3cheers

Letterbomb by Green Day

American Idiot is a great album. While this may be obscure compared to its other tracks, it holds its own among those hits.
Tied for 10th Place
Submitted by Owner

Sleeping with the Television On by Billy Joel

This gives me romcom movie soundtrack vibes in the best of ways, like something you might hear in an 80s adaptation of Taming of the Shrew.
Tied for 10th Place
Submitted by shub-K

Love Cherry Motion by Choerry

This has me nodding my head to the beat. The bridge was certainly interesting.
Tied for 8th Place
Submitted by Egix

Pinup by Televisor

People who know I love disco would probably assume I also love nu disco. And judging by this, they’d be right.
Tied for 8th Place
Submitted by shub-C

Those Things I Kept by Sweet John

Their voices have a nice harmony. I wish there was a little more of those catchy guitar hooks, but the horn’s a pleasant addition.
Tied for 6th Place
Submitted by Lectrys

Ending/Theme of Samus Aran, Space Warrior (Super Metroid) by GaMetal

I only really know the source from GDQ, but that doesn’t change the fact that this is some awesome shred. Save the animals!
Tied for 6th Place
Submitted by Logic

Easily by Muse

Ooh, a B-side. Last Muse B-side/rare track I recall judging was that one that sounded like it was sung through a drive thru speaker. This is that timeless Muse sound I know and love, though. Almost makes up for someone thumbing their nose at me later.
5th Place
Submitted by t om

We Used To Vacation by Cold War Kids

This has a British Invasion kind of sound to it. I dig how the tempo changes sort of act as a hook in their own right.
Tied for 3rd Place
Submitted by Energy

Level of Concern by twenty one pilots

Goodness, I get why you like them so much. Even their songs you think might not be their top hits are total bops. I think I’d actually place this above Stressed Out in a ranking of Best TOP Songs.
Tied for 3rd Place
Submitted by Quas

Drums On The Wheel by Aesop Rock

Rappers are modern poets, change my mind. Of course, with such a great poet as Aes, you just plain can’t.
2nd Place
Submitted by Aladyyn

Nothing Left by Obscure Sphinx

The layered intro gives the promise of something epic, which it then promptly delivers and keeps on delivering. Sometimes I balk when I see I’ve got a 10+ minute song to listen to, but about two minutes in my mind went “Nope, no backing out. We’re strapped in and we are gonna RIDE.” And I’m glad I did.
1st Place
Submitted by Martin
Score: 9.6

The Cat’s Dining Table by Kikuo

Kikuo is amazing as always. That moment after the intro where the instruments come together like a Piazolla riff was like ohhhh. The instruments and vocals are dancing a tarantella through this and I love it.

And our outro is Freaktender by DJ Cummerbund.

Our first big singleton reveal is complete.
Our current podium is, from first to third: Logic, gbsfranca, and Lectrys
All but six people had skin in the game this time, and now all but three are on the leaderboard. We’ll see termi and Snype on the leaderboard in our next reveal, and nutella will complete the board in the Live reveal.

Speaking of our next reveal, it’s (7 & 10) 70s and 2000s. Old school meets new school on Thursday the 20th at 2pm CDT (7pm UTC).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)