Born

Introduction:
Welcome to what is probably going to be my final Gen5 NU RMT as requested by my buddy Dat Blast ! If you didn't know, I am Brawlfest, and I really enjoy NU. As the tier draws to a close, and Jynx and Scoli are banished to the depths of *BL3*, bulky offense becomes the predominant playstyle in the meta rather than Hyper Offense. This team was inspired by one of my absolute favorite songs of all time, Born by MitiS, especially the vocal mix. It mixes amazing drops with great vocals, and is absolutely one of the most beautiful songs out there. While this team existed long before the new changes, one change was made to the team, drastically changing it's playstyle. The first change was from Jynx to Duosion after the recent metagame shift, and the second was from Primeape to Gurdurr in order to meet the newer, albeit slower, bulkier, yet stronger threats, such as CB Golurk. With that in mind my once very hyper offensive team turned into something of a charm, becoming a team of my favorite style of play, bulky offense. This team did peak #1 alongside my other team, break free on the ladder, and has won me games fairly consistently and for that I enjoy it due to it's reliability in the meta. However, I'm honestly beating around the bush. The main point of the team is a pokemon named Samurott. And in fact, this team is running it's SD set, which at a time was the most common type, but has now in the new metagame been eclipsed by LO Rott. I hope you enjoy the RMT!

The Team:

Katana

Samurott @ Lum Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Megahorn
- Swords Dance

Meet the star of the show and the head of the team, Katana. Samurott is an absolute menace in a world where the speed tiers have dropped, letting it shine without being demolished by revenge killers like Jynx. During the Jynx-Scoli era, I ran 252 Speed on this thing to also get a speed tie on Ludicolo, but nowadays I run 136 simply to headstart max speed base 55 speed mons such as Exeggutor and Golurk, both of them being huge threats. Katana is an absolute threat though, hitting absurdly hard after a single sword dance, while having the bulky necessary to set up against more offensive teams. After a single boost, it can effectively put pressure against both offensive and defensive teams alike, which is the beauty of it as it is extremely hard to shut down, and even when forced out, can find other opportunities to set up once again. I chose Samurott over say Carracosta, not only because Water - Bug is amazing coverage, but also because Samurott isn't as pussy, and won't fall down to the simple priority that carracosta will have issues with, making it a very strong sweeper. On top of that, I've equipped mine with a lum berry, giving me ease of setup against defensive teams who can only hinder me with a Thunder Wave or Toxic, bringing me to the free +2 and preparing to sweep. Waterfall is my primary STAB, hitting incomprehensibly hard, while being extremely reliable, packing a solid 80 base power alongside a 100% accuracy, while giving me clutch flinches as the god of hax. Aqua Jet lets me beat quick offensive teams, as at even only +2 it can nab kills on quick, frail pokemon. Finally, Megahorn rounds off my coverage, and is a unique move to Samurott, giving it perfect coverage against the entire tier bar Mantine and Swanna, and aids it in beating common checks such as Exeggutor and Ludicolo.

Synergy:

Top Spin

Rotom-Fan @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Although I used to have Eelektross, I needed a quicker, more offensive pokemon who filled the exact same role. While I was suggested a Scarf Rotom who I will still continue to try in the future, I feel that I can still revenge kill via four relatively powerful priority moves. That being said, I did need a faster pokemon, who could still hit bulky water types such as Alomomola extremely hard, while maintaing my ability to wreck grass types. Rotom-Fan fits the bill perfectly, baiting in huge threats to my team such as Seismitoad, Golem and Golurk, easily decimating them with a simple unseen Hidden Power [Grass]. Thunderbolt then acts as my main STAB, quite powerful especially under a Expert Belt boost, dealing serious damage to most opponents willing to switch in. Volt Switch is respectably powerful as well, gaining serious momentum for my pokemon, which is very important for the type of bulky offense I am running. Air Slash is the easier to spam, STAB, and offers my team a way to simply and easily remove grass types outside of using Skunk, allowing my Samurott to sweep much easier. This Expert Belt set is extremely important, as it is not choice locked, and can bait in opponents believing that I am, ohko'ing them with the correct move I am needing to bait. Top Spin's great Flying Typing also aids me with a great ground immunity, letting me avoid moves that would typically completely destroy Skuntank and Golem! Overall, Rotom-Fan was a great suggestion by Dat Blast, providing the necessary power, and speed I need, yet not losing any significant bulk or synergy in my team, making my team better as a whole, and holding the team up well against bulkier ground types.

Synergy:

Mitosis

Duosion @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Thunder / Signal Beam
- Recover

Duosion plays the extremely important role of being my Stall Check, as without it I would find my rather Stall-Weak team being easily 6-0'd. However, with this little win condition here, I've never lost. Simply put, Duosion and Samurott aid each other in sweeping, as if one fails the other can pick up where it left off, and they can remove different checks and counters to accomplish the role of decimating an enemy team in tangent of each other. Magic Guard is the crux of the set, setting it apart from the generally superior Musharna, letting me avoid Status and Hazard damage, making me near impossible to wear down for stall teams. Pokemon reliant on status to beat me one on one also just get set up over such as Probopass and Metang, even though they think they are a check. While Musharna has better bulk, an immunity to status lets Duosion viably run a slew of coverage moves, and better offenses makes Duosion stand out in the end as the better bulky-set up sweeper. Calm Mind is the boosting move, letting me easily set up to +6 and simply blast through teams. Max HP and Max Defense make Duosion a great Sawk switch in, while minimizing the damage I must take from Pursuit and other physical attacks as I am setting up. Psychic is the primary STAB that I carry. Although Psyshock could potentially help me win CM wars more easily, CM wars frankly aren't that common in NU, and against other psychics Thunder and Signal Beam will win. Speaking of these two moves, they serve two different purposes. Thunder is my preferred coverage move, letting me completely shit on Mandibuzz, while hitting Skuntank rather hard and giving me a 30% chance to paralyze it on the switch in. Signal Beam can hit opposing psychics and pivotpard harder, and therefore is an option as well. Recover helps to keep me alive, making me extremely difficult to take down directly or indirectly.
Synergy:

#STEROIDS

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off / Toxic
- Ice Punch

You all have met my Gurdurr #STEROIDS, and he is absolutely my favorite fighting type in NU, providing something unique to teams that Sawk, Primeape, and Scraggy don't got shit on. Absolute. Pure. Bulk. Alongside amazing offense. No seriously, Gurdurr is simply amazing. I've chosen however to utilize the Pivot set over the standard Bulk Up, due to this team's need for a mon to get in on say Kangaskhan and switch out. On top of that, I have enough sweepers already, so having another really defeats the purpose. Of course, the Pivot Set has one useful spot, and I've reserved that space for one of two moves. The first is Knock Off. While it may seem gimmicky, it is extremely useful, as this team hates two things. Overly bulky pokemon, and overly strong pokemon. By knocking off Bands, Specs, Lefties, and Eviolite, my team can just run through opponents with little to no problem. Especially with a pokemon like Tangela or Musharna, as they switch in they basically seal their fate, due to the loss of such a necessary item to their survival, making the other mons of my team have an ease of KO'ing them, with Musharna being absolutely worn down, and Tangela being incapable of tanking any more Megahorns. Toxic is my other option, again hitting similar pokemon, but instead to constantly wear them down, putting pressure on offensive pokemon to hit me hard before they go down to poison, or defensive pokemon to struggle to stay alive. Either way, both are extremely important in supporting my team, and either option is viable. The last three moves are standard gurdurr, with Drain Punch being the primary STAB, as well as healing back health every turn you use it. Mach Punch is a great form of priority, letting Gurdurr bypass it's horrific speed, and helping the rest of the team outspeed and revenge kill threats such as Zangoose. Finally, Ice Punch rounds off the coverage, hitting Ghosts and Psychics significantly hard, but most notably Drifblim, Exeggutor, and Golurk, all of which would otherwise beat gurdurr.

Synergy:

Deodorant

Deodorant (Skuntank) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 176 SDef / 80 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Taunt
- Poison Jab

The Grass resist is here. The Psychic immunity is here. Everything about Skuntank's utility and typing is simply stellar, and I have absolutely nothing to complain about. It's bulky, powerful, and is simply a game changing pokemon in the field. It's poison typing is a huge asset to my team, helping me tackle pesky toxic spikes if they happen to get up, removing significant pressure from my team. By pursuit trapping threats such as Musharna and Gardevoir early to mid game, it eases pressure off of it's allies, and easily makes the team work better and adds more offensive pressure against the opponent. This, in tangent with a quick taunt to prevent spikes from Garbodor or Roselia who are bullshit, makes it undeniably important to my team. It also, carries priority in the form of Sucker Punch, and since my team lacks any notable revenge killers I need to abuse as much priority as possilbe. Another utility that Skuntank has is beating Serperior and Simisage one on one, who pose larger threats to my team than they should, so Deodorant is here to check and beat them to make sure that they don't barrel roll through the rest of my team. Finally, Poison Jab is used as a secondary STAB to hit said grass types, as well as pesky Fighting and Dark pokemon on the opposing team hard with. Poison Jab's great 30% chance to poison also makes it a pretty spammable move, as putting pressure onto an opponent always helps my team, especially late game in the setup phase. Overall, the utility and support that Skuntank provides is unrivaled by any other pokemon in the metagame, and it is definitely S rank material in my eyes.

Synergy:

CATerpillar

Golem @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Where would I be without a flying check? Golem provides the bulk and strength I need to muscle through Leads early game, as well as absorb hits from threats such as Swellow and Tauros. Without it, Normal, Flying, and Electric pokemon easily run through my team, and I would have no way to stop them. However, with Golem here, not only to common normal sweepers have difficulty fighting this team, but Voltturn struggles then as well. It is my dedicated lead to get rocks up, which in the current metagame are pretty much mandatory to fuck over Charizard as well as to break sashes. Rock Blast is the stab of choice over Stone Edge due to better accuracy, and the ability to hit multiple times, helping me *possibly* beat swagpard, as well as demolishing Ninjask who is cocky as shit. Earthquake is my primary STAB though, hitting crazy hard as a whole, and is quite reliable at punishing other common leads such as opposing Golem or Golurk, easily 2HKO'ing every opposing lead at worst. Finally in my last spot, Sucker Punch is a way to again bypass a speed issue and help to beat quicker threats and revenge kill, although it is weaker than Skuntank's. As a whole, Golem can reliably set up rocks and stop common threats to this team, making it crucially important both early, mid, and occasionally late game to try to check a sweeper.

Synergy:

Katana (Samurott) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Megahorn
- Swords Dance

Top Spin (Rotom-Fan) @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Mitosis (Duosion) @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Thunder
- Recover

#STEROIDS (Gurdurr) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Deodorant (Skuntank) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 176 SDef / 80 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Taunt
- Poison Jab

CATerpillar (Golem) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Well, I hope you enjoyed this quick RMT I put up after Blast requested it! I've really enjoyed using this team, and I hope you all enjoy using it as well! Feel free to leave comments or suggestions in the comments below!
Thank you,
Brawlfest.

Last edited:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
lel ur team sux
This

Seriously though, you're extremely pressured by fast setup sweepers like Serperior, Gorebyss, and Carracosta due to your lack of ways to outspeed and KO them after a boost. You only have one check to the former putting extreme pressure on Skuntank to check it throughout the match, and for the latter two you rely on sheer offensive pressure to deter setup, which of course won't always work. You're also pretty weak to Fighting-types, as again you only have one check in the form on Duosion, and it's pretty easily crippled by Primeape's U-turn or Gurdurr's Knock Off. Fast hard-hitters in general can give you a hard time, some examples being Charizard and Zangoose, since they can outspeed and power through your whole team. Arguably the best way to solve this is to use Scarf Rotom-S over Eel, as it can at the very least keep all these threats in check while still providing you with Electric-type offense and Volt Switch support. Note that you become slightly weaker to Ground-types like Golurk this way so you might actually want to consider something like Will-O-Wisp over Trick or Thunderbolt to lure it.

Also you might want to use CM Mushy over Duosion since its much greater bulk + Leftovers helps vs Fighting-types a bit, but that's just down to general preference. For Samurott you might want to use a faster spread of 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spd to outspeed max Speed base 55s like Golurk and Eggy and take them out before they do the same. Most base 80s invest pretty heavily into Speed anyway so outspeeding them is kind of pointless.

Rotom-Fan @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Thunderbolt / Will-O-Wisp
- Trick / Will-O-Wisp

CM Duosion --> CM Musharna

Samurott: EV spread --> 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spd

This

Seriously though, you're extremely pressured by fast setup sweepers like Serperior, Gorebyss, and Carracosta due to your lack of ways to outspeed and KO them after a boost. You only have one check to the former putting extreme pressure on Skuntank to check it throughout the match, and for the latter two you rely on sheer offensive pressure to deter setup, which of course won't always work. You're also pretty weak to Fighting-types, as again you only have one check in the form on Duosion, and it's pretty easily crippled by Primeape's U-turn or Gurdurr's Knock Off. Fast hard-hitters in general can give you a hard time, some examples being Charizard and Zangoose, since they can outspeed and power through your whole team. Arguably the best way to solve this is to use Scarf Rotom-S over Eel, as it can at the very least keep all these threats in check while still providing you with Electric-type offense and Volt Switch support. Note that you become slightly weaker to Ground-types like Golurk this way so you might actually want to consider something like Will-O-Wisp over Trick or Thunderbolt to lure it.

Also you might want to use CM Mushy over Duosion since its much greater bulk + Leftovers helps vs Fighting-types a bit, but that's just down to general preference. For Samurott you might want to use a faster spread of 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spd to outspeed max Speed base 55s like Golurk and Eggy and take them out before they do the same. Most base 80s invest pretty heavily into Speed anyway so outspeeding them is kind of pointless.

Rotom-Fan @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Thunderbolt / Will-O-Wisp
- Trick / Will-O-Wisp

CM Duosion --> CM Musharna

Samurott: EV spread --> 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spd
Good fix w/ Rotom Fan, I'll definitely play around with that as it benefits this team a huge load! One thing to note is that without Eel, I do struggle against Seismitoad, who I often rely on giga drain to beat. The threats you stated are definitely threats, but constant offensive pressure makes it difficult to setup, and a slew of Priority makes it hard for them to sweep.

That being said, Rotom-F is an amazing idea, and I will play around with it as it definitely benefits this team a whole lot with it's continuation of a ground resistance, as well as Volt Switching for momentum, Revenge Killing capabilities, and a trick to ruin certain threats.

I will not however consider Musharna. Me and WhiteDMist talked about this in the past, and the fact is that this team truly relies on Duosion to beat stall, and having such a reliable and solid stallbreaker really makes this team go from good to great. It also acts as the perfect absorber for burns, toxics, and paralyses that the rest of my team hates receiving pressure from.

I want to consider Ebeltom though since it makes me no less weak to seismitoad, and to be honest, I still am not THAT weak to sweepers with as I said, constant offensive pressure on the opponent w/ loads of priority. Idk though Scarf is probably superior though.

EV spread for rott goes into immediate affect NOW O_O :]

Tl;Dr: Rotom-S is too good idea tyty luv u i will test tell u later how is ok luv u.

EDIT:

I might change to Rotom-S soon, and since I can't find a gif for it or duosion, I've decided to scrap gifs for this RMT for sake of my sanity (PS If you can find a GIF of either of them I will go back to the old gifs and love you forever).

After about 20 games, I still feel I am not that weak to those sweepers..That being said, I am going to be permanently changing to an Expert Belt Rotom, as that makes me no less weaker to Seismitoad than I was before, and I still have my ground immunity. That being said, I get another great grass resistance, a flying STAB move on the team, and a very good pivot. Thank you so much Dat Blast! (I will continute to experiment with Scarf, but for now I will stick to Ebelt).

Last edited:
What do you have to take a Hydro Pump from Samurott?
Lol i just spam attacks and hope it dies lole. Norm I resort to sturdy w/ Golem to hit it w/ EQ then spam priority lol. Tbh Special rott hasn't been an issue cause i just fucking beat it to death w/ prio spam :]

i know gurrdurr likes to have his punches boosted by iron fist but i really think guts is a better option because nothing on your team really wants to take a wilo-wisp and it can be more useful against toxic users and para users.

also this team is pretty slow so you might want to actually have scarfed rotom and depending on the team your opponent has you can trick the scarf or keep it. i would run volt-switch/air slash/hp grass/trick.

your call tho, this team is pretty solid looking :D also sorry if im late i never am really on here

i know gurrdurr likes to have his punches boosted by iron fist but i really think guts is a better option because nothing on your team really wants to take a wilo-wisp and it can be more useful against toxic users and para users.

also this team is pretty slow so you might want to actually have scarfed rotom and depending on the team your opponent has you can trick the scarf or keep it. i would run volt-switch/air slash/hp grass/trick.

your call tho, this team is pretty solid looking :D also sorry if im late i never am really on here
As I've stated, 4 priority users is enough to overwhelm opponents in most cases. I do see your point about guts, but my immediate reaction to Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, and Thunder Wave is all Duosion, who absorbs them with no problem. Thank you for your input NUT! :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)