Blissey (OU Lead)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help me with any spelling or grammar mistakes :)

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/blissey
[Set Overview]
Many people would laugh at the idea of a Blissey lead, simply because its best known service is as a wall. This set attempts to create a support lead that can also be used in mid/late game as a wall. Lead Blissey also makes an excellent scout. An attack based Pokemon that has strong defenses and resistance to Fighting type moves makes a great companion, like Dragonite or Celebi.

[SET]
name: Lead Bliss
move 1: Counter/Flame Thrower
move 2: Toxic
move 3: Stealth Rock
move 4: Wish
item: Leftovers
nature: Bold
ability: Natural Cure
evs: 200 HP / 240 Def / 68 SpA

[Set Comments]
The purpose of this set is to lay out Stealth Rock, scout out your opponents physical attackers, and poison Blissey's counter. If you can, wish, and switch to a Pokemon that can take the attack aimed at Blissey, and retaliate.
Blissey can be referred to later in the game for wish or as a wall.
The choice between Counter, and Flame Thrower should be made based off of your team's weaknesses. If you need a Scizor buffer, run flame thrower. Otherwise, Counter works pretty well, using your opponents physical forces against them.
With the ev's given, Flame Thrower ensures a OHKO on Scizor with minimum special defense and a neutral nature.

[Additional Comments]

This set will likely take your opponent by surprise,
and is quite durable. The main reason to utilize this set is because it combines a wall and a lead, giving you an extra slot on your team.
If you run this set, make sure to have a Pokemon that can resist physical attacks aimed at Blissey. Calm Mind Celebi and Dragon Dance Dragonite are good examples, because they have decent defenses, resist those deadly Fighting type moves, and can usually set up while your opponent switches to a more appropriate counter.

[Counters]
Expert Belt Electrivire packs a powerful punch with Cross Chop, dealing between 66.8% and 78.7% damage, and likely forces a switch out. Another good Counter is Life Orb Dragonite with Super Power, dealing between 83.3% and 98.1%. Life orb Infernape can also do frightening damage, boasting an ensured OHKO with Close Combat. Keep these guys around and Blissey will be hiding for sure.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It is never a good idea to lead with a wall due to the fact walls are meant to switch in and...well wall threats. They are at a disadvantage in the lead spot, not to mention Blissey has 100 other things it can do better then this...

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Please note the qc process. It is important that we have new sets like this posted in Quality Control.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The problem with the premise is that you're not going to lure out any Fighting types out on the get-go, as almost all of the top leads in OU beat this set with no repercussions.

Azelf: Taunt, SR, Explosion
Aerodactyl: Taunt, SR, Rock Slide
Swampert: SR, switch
Machamp: lol
Metagross: lol
Jirachi: Trick, Iron Head
Infernape: lol
Roserade: Sleep Powder, T-Spikes
Ninjask: Any move, really.
Hippowdon: SR, Roar spam

So basically, you don't stop the lead from setting up SR, and you don't really threaten what's in, you just put Blissey in danger right away. Not a good strategy. Mentioning Electivire in the counters section right off the bat isn't a great idea either, as Blissey is way more threatened by Fighting types and they're all more common.

The only person who essayed a Blissey lead successfully was IPL, and I'm fairly sure his team was successful not because of the strategy, but in spite of it. Even he admitted that part of the value of a Blissey lead was fooling opponents who don't know him into thinking that he sucks. And from what I recall, outside the ladder he used other leads anyways.

I don't see why any team would want to lead with Blissey when it has such poor matchups against other leads. If I'm playing offense, I'd much rather have Azelf or Metagross. If I'm playing stall, it would probably be Swampert or Forretress.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Blissey is a terrible lead, IPL even accepted this when he led with this. The only reason it would potentially be good is when you have nothing better to lead with (say, on IPL Stall), and even then, you're better off just running the standard Blissey when doing so.

QC REJECTED (1/3)

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't know why you need a lead set for Blissey, it's generally a really bad choice to lead as it loses to azelf, machamp, infernape, metagross, aerodactyl; this variant also loses to heatran because it can't touch anything. Roserade is able to sleep it and get up ts with no problem. The only reason you'd want to lead with it is if you had nothing better to lead with, and at that point you should just be using a regular blissey rather than one tailored to beat leads. so uh no.

QC REJECTED (2/3)

Understandable, from what I've reviewed on my team using it.. The whole team is effected by it, and it doesnt work to well with other teams.
Sorry then, feel free to remove it :)

IPL used a Blissey lead on one of his older teams, but when I watched him play, he rarely was able to keep it in. Anyways, I feel the same as SDS/Plus, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)