Blaziken

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
So when I saw the banlist for Dream World I was pretty honestly amazed that it hadn't received the boot.

In the dream world tier it not only has all the amazing qualities that led to its ban in Wifi OU, but also has the ability to pass those boosts using baton pass. So instead of just an offensive juggernaut you now have an offensive juggernaut that is capable of passing his boosts to a pokemon more suited to sweep the opponents team. Lets say that you send in something like Slowbro to wall my Blaziken, to bad I just passed to my Technician Breloom and raped your team. Or you send in your Gliscor to put a stop to my sweep, Moxie Gyarados says hello.

Some common sets include:

Blaziken (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Hi Jump Kick
- Flare Blitz/Protect/Blaze Kick
- Baton Pass

The best passer. Force a switch and Swords Dance on it. Either proceed to smash their team with Hi Jump Kick and Flare Blitz/Blaze Kick or Baton Pass the boost off to another sweeper. Protect can be used to gather an extra speed boost to ensure the pass, but you lose out on some offensive coverage.

Blaziken (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice/Electric]
- Hi Jump Kick
- Protect/Baton Pass

Blaziken can also use a special set to beat its checks. While this set doesn't have the immediate power of the all out physical attacker, it makes up for it in surprise factor. Lets say you send in your Gliscor or Dragonite to wall standard Blaziken, well fuck HP Ice to the dome. HP electric can also be used to hit counters like Slowbro and Gyarados harder since you still OHKO Gliscor with Fire Blast.

Blaziken (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Hi Jump Kick
- Protect/Shadow Claw/Stone Edge

Plain SD Blaziken. Protect for more boosts, Shadow Claw to hit Slowbro, Latias, and Jellicent, or Stone Edge to hit Dragonite and Gyarados.

Counters:
Despite all that Blaziken still has a few counters. Slowbro can pretty much wall every Blaziken set to death unless they have HP Electric.

Gyarados is also a pretty sure fire stop, though it does have to worry about Stone Edge on pure SD sets and HP Electric on the mixed set.

Jellicent is in the same situation as the other two. Only rare moves such as Shadow Claw and HP Electric, but it will be hard pressed to stop Blaziken passing boosts away.

Dragonite resists all of Blazikens moves and can wall it quite easily if Multi Scale is intact.

Is Blaziken Tire material? Discuss here.

Why not just plain SD Blaziken? It can still sweep independently really well, considering after a boost you 2HKO the entire tier with sun support. I guess the old SD Blaziken set works, so either an entirely new set should be added to the OP or just put Baton Pass merely as a slash. Something like:

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Speed Boost | Jolly
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Swords Dance / Flare Blitz / Hi Jump Kick / Protect

And yeah, no clue how this thing missed the banhammer lol

edit: OPE I missed that last set. Lol.....

Anyways, sun support is huge, so maybe Sunny Day Ninetales is a good idea. Interesting to see how some of these newer sets from the actual OU meta will affect everything :P but getting back from that tangent, something to get rid of Jellicent is gonna be key - Jolteon and Thundurus especially.

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It wasn't banned initially, that is correct. However, as you pointed out it definitely could be contending for being kicked out of the tier soon, just like in regular OU I think it may prove to be just too much of a force with speed boost, but only one way to find out, we'll just have to let time tell its story.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What are the most dangerous recipients? I mean there's Garchomp, but that thing just loves any Baton Pass Boost almost. Also, Air Balloon or Focus Sash for getting boosts? I mean Air Balloon will /probably/ leave you with a more healthy Blaziken, but you can't always manage that Swords Dance boost. Or maybe it's better to split the BP job? Like Blaziken passes Speed to Chomp and it SDs up? Also what weather? I like sun because Blaziken just gets to wreck if you can't pass, but that (somewhat) limits recipients IMO.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've been trying Jirachi, which as some of you may know from a Smashpass boost becomes pretty lethal at +2 +2. Anything you can't KO with coverage moves just gets flinched to death and obviously you don't need nearly as many flinches as normal. My Blaziken set is Protect / HJK / Swords Dance / Baton Pass with Air Balloon, since Jirachi and Ken have ground weakness in common it'll deter people from using Earthquake on my little pixie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)