Blastoise

Not sure if a smart thing but I want...

Dragon Tail + Rapid Spin

...on my Blastoise. Gonna hate thinking of the other moves, EV's, nature, and item though.

Seriously how is it that it took till page 2 for anyone to suggest Dragon Tail Blastoise?

Blastoise@Leftovers
Rain Dish
-Boiling Water
-Rapid Spin
-Dragon Tail
-Protect/Yawn/Toxic/Mirror Coat

How the hell can you not love this beast? Dragon Tail is what hes always needed.

Dragon Tail + Rapid Spin. I think only Blastoise and Smeargle can pull this off. Technician Smeargle, haha.

Almost a safety for spinning a hazrd/(s) which is why I like. Where other stuff would skedaddle from Roar/Whirlwind/status, Blastoise can send a Ghost/threat out/away if switched in or not.

Lower speed stat is still a negative.

The original water Pokemon with Hydro Pump! lolz
Anyway, from what I'm reading is that some pokes get new moves from dreamworld alongside thier new abilities. Shell Break would own. I wouldn't get my hopes up, though. Boiling Water is always nice, and Rain Dish is k.

Blastoise
@ Choice Scarf
Timid
252 spa/252 spe/4 def
Water Spout
Ice Beam
HP Electric
Hydro Pump

It's a damn shame it didn't get swift swim. Rain Dance is meh.

Also, no Shell Break sucks. (You may have heard that before.)

breh

強いだね
I dunno why people are freaking out so much about Water Spout; Blastoise had it last gen as a HGSS egg move you know. There was also a Scarf set that never made it past QC lol

Anyway Blastoise hasn't really changed IMO. Realistically the only thing that has changed for it is boiling water and (maybe) dragon tail, which I'm really not going to use honestly.

Blastoise's main purpose is for spinning. Add on main STAB and you've got 2 moveslots left. Ice Beam and Toxic are my prefferred options in that last slot. It's too hard to find a moveslot for Dragon tail without losing coverage IMO.

Water/Dragon isn't good coverage?

Scarf Blastoise didn't make it past QC?

What.

Btw, people used Scarf Blastoise because of Water Spout. Outclassed by Milotic otherwise.

Scarf Blastoise doesn't do enough damage. Scarf on him isn't good enough. For a damaging set, use either specs or life orb to do the job. They are much better.

Does anyone think the Anti Lead OU set from last generation can work in this environment? Maybe some EV's would need to be changed around based on which popular new leads you want to 2HKO. Also, maybe it's worth considering Dragon Tail over Ice Beam (good vs. Eruufun and sends off people who come in to try to set up like Gyarados).

On another note, I've been using Blastoise with Boiling Water, Dragon Tail, Toxic, and Protect and random wifi battles (no Rapid Spin since Stealth Rocks are rare in show 6 pick 3 format) and he's been pretty nice as a bulky shuffler.

his is the set I am currently using. Works wonders.

Blastoise (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Aqua Ring
- Dragon Tail
- Substitute
- Surf

Water spout blastoise has some notable advantages this gen. For one, perma rain. Rain makes water spout really, really powerful. Secondly, rain dish actually lets blastoise slowly heal of residual damage, making weak priority and hazards not hurt his spout's power nearly as much.

Even still, though, nothing terribly gamebreaking. He does get focus blast to beat nattorei if the accuracy doesn't bother you, which is nice since nattorei is sort of the defacto stop to all things rain.

Does anyone think the Anti Lead OU set from last generation can work in this environment? Maybe some EV's would need to be changed around based on which popular new leads you want to 2HKO. Also, maybe it's worth considering Dragon Tail over Ice Beam (good vs. Eruufun and sends off people who come in to try to set up like Gyarados).

On another note, I've been using Blastoise with Boiling Water, Dragon Tail, Toxic, and Protect and random wifi battles (no Rapid Spin since Stealth Rocks are rare in show 6 pick 3 format) and he's been pretty nice as a bulky shuffler.
I think the viability of that particular set (which never became a standard I believe) hasn't been reduced much in Gen 5. Heck, with all the Tyranitars and Hippowdons in the lead spot, you should be able to do something. However, the existence of Burungeru and Nattorei makes me worry a little.

I'm still struggling with new names of Pokemon, so excuse spelling.

I think the viability of that particular set (which never became a standard I believe) hasn't been reduced much in Gen 5. Heck, with all the Tyranitars and Hippowdons in the lead spot, you should be able to do something. However, the existence of Burungeru and Nattorei makes me worry a little.

I'm still struggling with new names of Pokemon, so excuse spelling.
It never became standard because it was "introduced" very late on the fourth generation... and because it's Blastoise we're talking about.

I tried it myself (well, what i can say: i was the one that created it lol) on this gen, and it seems to do as well as on gen 4 (especially considering no one's using Grass typing leads anymore outside of Erufuun that often doesn't carry a grass move).

Be wary of Borutorosu though (LO ones will KO with Thunderbolt. You can survive one from Focus Sash ones if you give more HP Evs to it, and then Aqua Jet right after... better just switch out though).

Blastoise @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 hp / ?def / ?spdef
Nature: Bold / Calm
Ability: Rain dish
- Substitute
- Protect
- Dragon Tail
- Boiling Water

Stallrein anyone? With rain support from the possible Politoad, this should work better than Stallrein due to its mono-water typing. Gains a Fire and Steel resistance while losing the Fighting and Rock weaknesses of Walrein. The loss of 4x Ice resist doesnt really bother it much. EVs and natures depend on what end of the attacking spectrum you wan to wall but with Boiling Water you might want to focus abit more on the Special side. Dragon Tail for phasing and with entry hazard support, this should be able to do extremely well even in OU.

For the utility set, can Dragon Tail be worked somewhere in it? Yes, I know that it's a physical move, but it could give the set some phazing support.

I think it's kind of funny we're talking about phazing with Yawn and Dragon Tail when he totally gets Haze lol. Actually I think Dragon Tail is better anyway.

his is the set I am currently using. Works wonders.

Blastoise (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Aqua Ring
- Dragon Tail
- Substitute
- Surf
Oh I really like this idea. Replace Surf with Boiling Water and you'll cause fits when you burn. As a ersult, you could probably focus more on special defense. Just don't get Toxiced.

I dunno why people are freaking out so much about Water Spout; Blastoise had it last gen as a HGSS egg move you know. There was also a Scarf set that never made it past QC lol
IMO.
The reason why people talk about water spout, is because blastoise is really the most viable thing to use water spout. It is the second fastest thing to learn it (behind kyogre... whos uber of course), and is the 4th most powerful (again behind kyogre, then octillery then just behind wailord... tied with burungeru). Outside of trick room, it is really the only viable pokemon that can run a scarf waterspout. Its still not that great an option, but all things considered... stab water spout in the rain, even off only 85 base attack, hits like a truck.

why didn't they make Blastoise Steel/Water? Venasaur and Charizard got second typings and Blastoise has freaking metal cannons! and looks more metal than Empoleon.

And secondly why not shell smash? He has a freaking shell! and with his spread stats and movepool I would love to see how he runs with it. If only...

why didn't they make Blastoise Steel/Water? Venasaur and Charizard got second typings and Blastoise has freaking metal cannons! and looks more metal than Empoleon.
Because the Steel type didn't exist in Gen 1..

And secondly why not shell smash? He has a freaking shell! and with his spread stats and movepool I would love to see how he runs with it. If only...
Shell Smash Blastoise would be broken as hell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)