Big and Small SV Victories

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Playing through Paldea, we all have our own little goals and things we’re working towards in our own circumstances— making progress big and small.

Maybe you finally got Goldengho to evolve, maybe you beat a boss way underlevelled, maybe you reached masterball rank online or had an especially epic 6 Star Raid you finished. Whatever it is, share your story embellished as much or as little as you like!

I’ll start:

Small Victory: I finally got Palafin!!
72F67EC0-A71E-4803-92C7-0ABF59A90F79.jpeg

How amazing that Pokémon gave us a super hero Pokémon that literally evolves through the power of friendship!!

Problem: Having no friends…:woop::woo::wo:

Later though, after beating the game and finally starting to pay attention to those weird shiny crystal thingies on the ground, I realized that Palafin was a Mon in level 5 raids! I could get a hero all my own even with no friends!

And though scouring the map almost never brought me my dolphin friend day after day, looking at online raids sprang new hope in me! People did post level 5 Palafin raids! And still, no need for friends, friend codes, socialization

Only problem: Actually getting into them…

Seems there are loooots of other anti-social folk without friends wanting in on Palafin raids. So much adrenaline rush and many Hopes and Dreams dashed by the “Unable to Join message” (and while counting stars on Finizen Raids).

Even getting in a couple times!!! Only for newbs bringing Cinderace against Grass Palafin to run down the clock…

Annoyed by the mad impossible rush to join online raids, I determined to finally find one in my own world. I decided to just stay in one raid-den-rich area and reset the clock until I found it!!!!

One problem: “Unable to turn off Internet Time Synch when controlled by Parental App.”

WTF? Opening the parental app— nope no way to change the clock there. You mean I need to choose between being overlord of my kids’ Nintendo time and endless Raid Refreshing!? Bull———

“I wonder what would happen if I just changed the location.”

OMG this works!!! Just flipping between locations crossing the international date line ALSO resets the Raids!!!!
*1 hour later*

I FOUND THE PALAFIN RAAAAAIIID!!! My very own!!!!!

I’m still wondering if certain species tend towards certain Tera types or if it’s truly random, but most of the online Palafins I saw were Dragon, Grass or Water so I prioritized those and feel I found it faster than I expected. Mine is Dragon by the way, above pic taken from Google.

And now, to challenge it!!

But do I host it and share the love?

:trode::trode::trode:

*Challenge Alone*
Iron Hands SMAAAAAASH!!!!! +ULTRA:swole::swole::swole:

I GOT THE PALAPOWER!!!!

New Problem: “Daddy! How did you get Palafin in your game!?” :bat:

:eeveehide::mehowth:

Looking forward to your stories!

Last edited:
First experience of this sort I can report was right after I did Titan 2 and started running around Northwest Paldea. In Open World games I'm the type that tries to go everywhere I can immediately, whether or not I can do anything yet, and maybe unlock quick travel points for later.

So I run up near Porto Marinada, cross the river to check out a Raid Den, and right in the corner of my screen is a Red Skuntank in a crowd. On instinct I run straight into battle with that thing, and see it's like 20 levels above my team at that point. I hawk an unsuccessful Quick Ball.

Skuntank used Explosion

Nearly made me scream until the animation didn't play... because my Golduck, whom I had never check the Summary for somehow, had Damp.

I immediately fled the fight so I could save and Save Scum this shiny like I should have done in the first place.

Turn 1 on next attempt: Skuntank used Memento
At this point I had to actually put the controller down after resetting because it dawned on me I got double lucky on not only happening to lead with my Golduck, but that the Suicide move it picked was one I could even block.

Got it after 4 attempts, this was legitimately the most-stressful capture I've had in any Pokemon game.

There was also an incident right after this where I ended up battling and beating some guy's level 51 Mismagius with my Level ~30 team thanks to having put Snarl on my Skeledirge, getting into a 3 turn cycle of "Heal -> X-Special Def -> Snarl" to debuff Mismagius until it couldn't KO things even with the level difference. Not something I'd repeat but there's a sense of fulfillment beating an enemy clearly meant to be way past your ability for that point.

First experience of this sort I can report was right after I did Titan 2 and started running around Northwest Paldea. In Open World games I'm the type that tries to go everywhere I can immediately, whether or not I can do anything yet, and maybe unlock quick travel points for later.

So I run up near Porto Marinada, cross the river to check out a Raid Den, and right in the corner of my screen is a Red Skuntank in a crowd. On instinct I run straight into battle with that thing, and see it's like 20 levels above my team at that point. I hawk an unsuccessful Quick Ball.

Skuntank used Explosion

Nearly made me scream until the animation didn't play... because my Golduck, whom I had never check the Summary for somehow, had Damp.

I immediately fled the fight so I could save and Save Scum this shiny like I should have done in the first place.

Turn 1 on next attempt: Skuntank used Memento
At this point I had to actually put the controller down after resetting because it dawned on me I got double lucky on not only happening to lead with my Golduck, but that the Suicide move it picked was one I could even block.

Got it after 4 attempts, this was legitimately the most-stressful capture I've had in any Pokemon game.
This reminds me of getting my shiny Electrode in Y way back when. At least you had the option to A) save scum and B) see it coming; I had to throw my Greninja against mine to bait it into not Selfdestruct, which then presented the problem of potential snowballing with Charge Beam.

Still tho, welcome to the Suicide Move Shiny club.

This reminds me of getting my shiny Electrode in Y way back when. At least you had the option to A) save scum and B) see it coming; I had to throw my Greninja against mine to bait it into not Selfdestruct, which then presented the problem of potential snowballing with Charge Beam.

Still tho, welcome to the Suicide Move Shiny club.
Considering how often I've seen Voltorbs self-destruct in SV before even engaging in a battle with them I have to imagine that there have been at least a few heart-dropping shiny encounters in this game that have technically ended before they even began.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
View attachment 500366
Got my first MB in s/v today :quagchamppogsire:
Congrats!!!!

I also reached MB in singles this season and the previous— and I have an accomplishment story!

I have hated Battle Stadium’s Fissure spamming, especially with Ting Lu. That evil moose’s egregious spam— I had enough.

Today, I got sweet sweet revenge with this:
IMG_3560.png

Nickname: Neck Washer
Timid
Item: MentHerb
-Minimize
-Stockpile
-Strength Sap
-Baton Pass

Today, I put this on my Prankster Screens team with 3 busted setup mons and Sub SD Guillotine Kingambit. (Too bad no Hone Claws… heh heh)

Saw a Ting Lu, lead off with it, and he unsurprisingly lead off with the Fissure spammer… but not today!!

This Ting actually had Taunt too! But I dodged two of them with repeated Minimize before getting hit by one as I Stock Piled once. With no more Mental Herb I Baton Passed… and was WAY toooo intent on revenge to reasonably pass to Dragonite… so went to Kinggambit, who ALSO dodged the incoming Taunt.

Let’s gooooooooooooooo

Tera Flying’d and clicked Substitute as Ting Lu whiffed Fissure. Really? You’re going for it even against +2 Evasion? Scum. But with my shiny balloon hat not even giving it a chance to throw a Stomping Tantrum lol
(for those Smogonites who don’t know Stomping Tantrum throws a hissy fit and gets double damage following a miss so Ting Lu runs it with Fissure in VGC/Battle Stadium)

I can respect throwing a tantrum when haxed but not for missing Fissure. Sorry not sorry

From there I SD’d up as Ting Lu RAAAN for it. But he brought Unaware Dondozo. Oh man, scuuuumm. Because Japanese player on Battle Stadium, 99% chance this is Fissure Dozo too. Well if you won’t let me SD through it, only thing is to click the funny button. Boooooooom Guillotine sliced Dozo in half.

Then he brought in Fluttermane, but it whiffed Thunderbolt as I destroyed with Kowtow Cleave.

Well well well Mr. Ting Lu… nice to see you again… guess what happens next?

Kingambit Guillotine made the Head Bowl roll. Live by the sword, die by the Guillotine!!

Last edited:
Just beat the first gym successfully. Which no, shouldn't feel like a victory, but this is my "take on each story with it's own team" run. Birds for the Titans was easy(except for the level spike at the very end). And I'm expecting Ghosts vs Star to be interesting. But PseudoLegends vs the Gyms is turning out to be a challenge, which is rather refreshing. Turns out, 300 BST across the board when underleveled is difficult, who knew?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Today I found an outbreak of Dusk Form Lycanrock. Seeing as I have none, and Dusk is my favorite form, I thought this was a cool must-do. The Shiny is soooo good.

So I got my bacon, managed to find a Dusk time slot, it took me 3 clock resets to kill 60 of them, but got everything set up.

Reset the clock, whipped up a Salty+Spicy sparkling rock Sandwhich, and got to picnic resetting.

4 minutes of Dusk goes by way too fast, but was in a groove and fully prepared to do this multiple times until I could get it.

Oh no sun is setting!!! One last reset…!!!!!

What do you think happened on the last picnic reset of that first sandwhich?

Dusk Form
Dusk Form
Dusk Form
Midnight Form :woop:
Shiny Midnight Form:wo:

…of course…. (I caught it— phase 1)
Literally the 2nd Spawn on the night line. I still got Zard, so no argument for keeping Herba Mystica > a shiny I don’t have.

I wonder if I’d just been seconds faster it would have been the target— sure that’s not how the game engine works but certainly that’s how my brain interprets it:row:

Last edited:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Wait is that how Lycanroc swarms work? They swap out by the time? That's so strange to me, I figured it was like any other form and just picks one.
Like Bog Monster said, basically mid spawn the Dusk Outbreak disappeared but non-outbreak Lycanrock is a normal spawn so Mid Night spawned in, further boosted by my Rock Encounter and Sparkling Power 3.

I just got dusk on a 5th try btw— in both cases I used encounter power because I knew there were other rocks I wanted to go after with sandwhich leftovers but I only got 1 of 3 bonus targets— got Mint Glimmora (missed out on Cinnamon Gorilla and Blue Crab)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)