Other Features Beyond The Hex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Smog people. My article idea is called "Beyond The Hex" and it would be an indepth look at how the Pokemon games changed in between Crystal version and the release of Ruby/Sapphire. In my opinion, this was a hugely significant transition period for the Pokemon game series where it went from being a little game that found success on a lark to a franchise that Nintendo could reliably milk conceivably forever. The title has to do with one very concrete example of that - Pokemon were identified within the RBYGSC's data with hexadecimal values between 0 and 255, and thus in order to expand after the 251 Pokemon in GSC the entire way the games were programmed had to revamped from the ground up.
This could be a single article or a series of articles, covering some of the following topics:

1. Key Members of the Gamefreak Pokemon team such as Ken Sugimori and Junichi Masuda.
2. Game mechanics such as the DV system and damage formula
3. The different regions in terms of "level design"
4. The story being told in each pokemon game
5. Spinoff Games
6. and of course the monsters themselves.

There's also a variety of other topics that fall under this umbrella - pretty much every aspect of the franchise went through huge changes around this time. I know you have some articles that cover similar topics, but this article's focus on the transition from 2nd to 3rd gen give it a unique niche in the article metagame. That period is hugely important for the way we play and talk about Pokemon today, but most coverage I see of especially the 3rd gen will acknowledge a few of the facts without delving fully into the implications (and looking at some other facts that lie beneath the surface).

Finally I'd like to note that I am very Gen II and before biased (I first got an idea like this when I realized how much more fun I had playing the original Gold version after beating HeartGold) but would keep this series as neutral as possible - at the end of the day, some changes have been for the ludicrous (the increasing slide of legendary pokemon into bland vaguely dragon shaped spikiness) while others have been very much for the better (pretty much everything metagame based). The main purpose of these articles is to catalogue these different changes and help start more critical conversations about these games that are obviously very important to everyone here.

I think this idea sounds snazzy. Just looking at things from a mechanical view, we get major tweaking of status (burn, poison, badly poisoned, freeze, and sleep [well, RestTalk] all underwent changes for the better), phazing and Counter were fixed, Spikes gained multiple layers, abilities and natures were introduced, double battles were created, and of course there was a gigantic revamp of the IV/EV system. ADV was really the first generation that started to look like today's metagame, and the earlier gens seem outright foreign to players that are new to them. It's the most influential generational transition in terms of competitive battling.

As far as in-game goes, it also had some major changes. Pokemon Contests, Trainer Cards, and Ribbons were added to give the game a more lasting appeal to casual gamers. If we extend this to Emerald, there's also the Battle Frontier, which is the first truly competitive addition to the in-game. This is the gen that really spawned the Pokemon post-game and gave us a reason to keep playing long after completing the storyline. ADV always just felt like the generation that changed the most to me, and its many upgrades could certainly be a solid article, I'd say. Just my thoughts~

Sounds interesting to me, and also like you've put a lot of thought into this. Approved! I believe you're a new contributor, so please go here and apply for The Smog Access (mention jumpluff approved you to write an article or something along those lines so we know you belong, haha) and post when you've done that so we can approve you and give you further instructions. Thanks for your interest! ^^

Applied for smog access. Thanks so much for approving this idea, I look forward to working with y'all! Let me know what next steps are and I'll get some sentences your way asap.

You should now have access to the Article Workshop forum under The Smog main forum. ^_^ Go and read the What Are We Doing? sticky thread and post that you'll be working on this article, then get started as soon as you're ready. Remember:

1) Get your stuff done on time. If there's ever a situation that comes up, talk with The Smog Staff, and we'll make accommodations. The key here is communication; we need to hear from you if something is up that will prevent you from meeting the deadline.

2) Don't leak any of our stuff until the release happens. This includes art and any other information. If you ever want feedback on your work or have questions, you can join us in #thesmog on IRC (if you don't have IRC, you can PM me or another staffer on the forums and I'll give you a link).

Thanks for applying, and looking forward to your article! ^^ If you need any further help, come on #thesmog and ask for advice, or PM one of the Smog Staff with questions~ It's great to meet you!

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Also, try to get your stuff written up within two weeks of this time! The earlier you get done, the more flexibility our grammer checkers and HTMLers have to work on your article. Thankee!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)