Bench Abilities

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
First, I would like to thank everyone who showed up for the room tour! It was super successful and we were able to learn a lot from it.

And now for our first balancing decision:

Guardian Angel's damage reduction is being nerfed from 50% to 25%. The current version of this ability simply provides too much leverage to fat teams, especially Alomomola-based ones. As for the other potential problem abilities mentioned earlier, we haven't gotten feedback or seen anything in the replays that shows Mega Aerodactyl or Swamp summoning don't have sufficient counterplay, although that could change with Guardian Angel's nerf hurting fat balance/stall or future meta additions.

Next slate will start after another brief break, Tuesday at the latest.

T.I.A.

formerly Ticktock
First, I would like to thank everyone who showed up for the room tour! It was super successful and we were able to learn a lot from it.

And now for our first balancing decision:

Guardian Angel's damage reduction is being nerfed from 50% to 25%. The current version of this ability simply provides too much leverage to fat teams, especially Alomomola-based ones. As for the other potential problem abilities mentioned earlier, we haven't gotten feedback or seen anything in the replays that shows Mega Aerodactyl or Swamp summoning don't have sufficient counterplay, although that could change with Guardian Angel's nerf hurting fat balance/stall or future meta additions.

Next slate will start after another brief break, Tuesday at the latest.
Make it 50% again.

EDIT: Oh wait, that's good enough. In fact, I noticed that it WAS originally 25%, so I guess the poster increased it through unknown means or to get votes.

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
To begin with, I'm announcing another balancing decision: Hand Off might get nerfed. I say might because I'm much less sure of whether it's broken or not. As such, I'll be allowing 2-3 days of input on Discord and here. I know Scoopapa really thinks it should be nerfed, but I wanna hear some other voices first.

Since I'm here, I'll go right ahead and begin the next slate, but with a twist! Yes, we are doing another special slate: I dub this one "Catching Up". The basic gist of this slate is to only buff certain Pokemon archetypes that have yet to get a Bench Ability that helps them out. As such, you may not make Bench Abilities that power up any of the following:

Pokemon who share a type with the user
Ice types
Bug types
Fighting types
Rock types
Dark types
Normal types
Dark types
Electric types
Fairy types

Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock
Pokemon that meet a certain threshold in either Defense or Special Defense
Pokemon afflicted by Status
Fossil Pokemon
Pokemon that meet a certain threshold in Speed
Eviolite users
Pokemon that are at or below a certain BST threshold

Fire, Water and/or Grass Pledge
Rock type moves
Steel type moves

Abilities that buff all your allies equally are OK. With that said, let this new slate begin!

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
File:122MS.png
File:720MS.png
File:806MS.png

Ability Name: Demented Circus
Effect: Psychic type allies use Encore the first time they switch into battle.
Users: Mr. Mime, Hoopa, Blacephalon

File:359MS.png
File:477MS.png

Ability Name: Doomsday Clock
Effect: If 5 turns pass without any Pokemon on either side of the field being KOed, Perish Song will be applied to all active Pokemon.
Users: Absol, Dusknoir

File:037MS.png
File:038MS.png
File:324MS.png
File:754MS.png

Ability Name: Sunlight Supercharge
Effect: Allies with Chlorophyll will get a 1.3x boost to their highest stat on top of usual effects in Sun.
Users: Vulpix, Ninetales, Torkoal, Lurantis

Name: Alchemy
Effect: Ghost and Poison types' attacking moves have their physical / special category flipped to ensure they are based on the user's highest attacking stat. Any stat boosts or drops of these moves are flipped as well.
Users: Solgaleo, Lunala, Muk-Alola line, Salazzle Line, Toxicroak line

Ability Name: Fertilizer
Effect: The move Ingrain now boosts all stats by 1 stage if used successfully. ( it fails if Ingrain is already in effect )
Users: Miltank, Mudsdale line, Bouffalant, Comfey,

Ability Name: Flame Imperishable
Effect: Fire type pokemon will regain their Fire type at the end of the turn if they lose it for any reason. ( i.e. Burn Up, Soak )
Users: Arcanine Line, Rapidash Line, Ninetales Line, Ho-oh,

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Ability Name: Surround
Effect: When your active ally Pokémon switches in, the opposing Pokémon loses -1 Speed and -1 Evasion. Only one Surround can be active on the bench at once.
Users: Wishiwashi

Ability Name: Scare
Effect: When your active ally Pokémon switches in, the opposing Pokémon loses -1 Special Attack. Only one Scare can be active on the bench at once.
Users: Basculin (both forms).

Ability Name: Threaten
Effect: When your active ally Pokémon switches in, the opposing Pokémon loses -1 Defense and -1 Special Defense. Only one Threaten can be active on the bench at once.
Users: Liepard line, Purugly line.

Ability Name: Quicksand
Effect: Ground-types activate Gravity on switch-in; lasts 8 turns if Sandstream is in effect (so Hippowdon can use it for 8 turns).
Users: Trapinch, Hippopotas, Pillosand line

Ability Name: Irresistable Poison
Effect: Your Poison-type allies’ Poison-Type damaging attacks are always neutral, even against Steels, and never miss.
Users: Arbok line, Seviper, Salazzle line

Last edited:
Name: Sand Fortification
Effect: Allies hit by a Water type attack take half damage and gain +1 Defense.
Users: Gastrodon line, Palossand line, Quagsire line, Seismitoad line

Name: Arena Destroyer
Effect: The opponent receives 12.5% damage before switching out with any means.
Users: Dugtrio line, Gothitelle line, (Trapinch?)

Name: Combo Attacker
Effect: Allies' Multi-Hit moves gain a 50% increase in power and always hit 3 times (similarly to Battle Bond).
Users: Cloyster line, Cinccino line, Toucannon line

Name: Surface to Air
Effect: Allied Ground types who use moves 80 BP or lower gain the Smack Down effect. (Ground type moves work like Thousand Arrows)
Users: Golem-K line, Larvitar, Pupitar

Effect: Your Poison-type allies’ Poison-Type damaging attacks are always neutral, even against Steels, and never miss.
Users: Arbok line, Seviper
maybe for Salazzle too (Corrosion)

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Effect: If hit by a Water type attack, that move deals half damage and the user gains +1 Defense.
Users: Palossand line, Gigalith line, Seismitoad line

Effect: Multi-Hit moves gain a 50% increase in power and always hit 3 times (similarly to Battle Bond).
Users: Cloyster line, Cinccino line

Effect: If a Ground type uses a non-Ground attack which is 90 BP or less, it will give the Smack Down effect.
Users: Golem-K line, Rhyperior line, Larvitar, Pupitar

maybe for Salazzle too (Corrosion)
Sup Tmi! Glad to see you participate in my pet mod. However, we have a policy where each Pokemon can only have one unique Bench Ability. Gigalith and Rhyperior already have their own abilities, so you'll have to remove them and/or replace them with another receiver of your abilities.

Sup Tmi! Glad to see you participate in my pet mod. However, we have a policy where each Pokemon can only have one unique Bench Ability. Gigalith and Rhyperior already have their own abilities, so you'll have to remove them and/or replace them with another receiver of your abilities.
I knew about the rule, just didn't check thoroughly. Changed and added users, as well as simplified Surface to Air.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
I knew about the rule, just didn't check thoroughly. Changed and added users, as well as simplified Surface to Air.
In the event we both win, maybe switch Palossand line to Whiscash for your Sand Fortification?

Thanks for the Salazzle tip btw. :blobthumbsup:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Letsa start the voting

File:122MS.png
File:720MS.png
File:806MS.png

Ability Name: Demented Circus
Effect: Psychic type allies use Encore the first time they switch into battle.
Users: Mr. Mime, Hoopa, Blacephalon

File:359MS.png
File:477MS.png

Ability Name: Doomsday Clock
Effect: If 5 turns pass without any Pokemon on either side of the field being KOed, Perish Song will be applied to all active Pokemon.
Users: Absol, Dusknoir

File:037MS.png
File:038MS.png
File:324MS.png
File:754MS.png

Ability Name: Sunlight Supercharge
Effect: Allies with Chlorophyll will get a 1.3x boost to their highest stat on top of usual effects in Sun.
Users: Vulpix, Ninetales, Torkoal, Lurantis

Name: Alchemy
Effect: Ghost and Poison types' attacking moves have their physical / special category flipped to ensure they are based on the user's highest attacking stat. Any stat boosts or drops of these moves are flipped as well.
Users: Solgaleo, Lunala, Muk-Alola line, Salazzle Line, Toxicroak line

Ability Name: Fertilizer
Effect: The move Ingrain now boosts all stats by 1 stage if used successfully. ( it fails if Ingrain is already in effect )
Users: Miltank, Mudsdale line, Bouffalant, Comfey,

Ability Name: Flame Imperishable
Effect: Fire type pokemon will regain their Fire type at the end of the turn if they lose it for any reason. ( i.e. Burn Up, Soak )
Users: Arcanine Line, Rapidash Line, Ninetales Line, Ho-oh,

Ability Name: Surround
Effect: When your active ally Pokémon switches in, the opposing Pokémon loses -1 Speed and -1 Evasion. Only one Surround can be active on the bench at once.
Users: Wishiwashi

Ability Name: Scare
Effect: When your active ally Pokémon switches in, the opposing Pokémon loses -1 Special Attack. Only one Scare can be active on the bench at once.
Users: Basculin (both forms).

Ability Name: Threaten
Effect: When your active ally Pokémon switches in, the opposing Pokémon loses -1 Defense and -1 Special Defense. Only one Threaten can be active on the bench at once.
Users: Liepard line, Purugly line.

Ability Name: Quicksand
Effect: Ground-types activate Gravity on switch-in; lasts 8 turns if Sandstream is in effect (so Hippowdon can use it for 8 turns).
Users: Trapinch, Hippopotas, Pillosand line

Users: Arbok line, Seviper, Salazzle line

Effect: Allies hit by a Water type attack take half damage and gain +1 Defense.
Users: Gastrodon line, Palossand line, Quagsire line, Seismitoad line

Effect: Allies' Multi-Hit moves gain a 50% increase in power and always hit 3 times (similarly to Battle Bond).
Users: Cloyster line, Cinccino line, Toucannon line

Effect: Allied Ground types who use moves 80 BP or lower gain the Smack Down effect. (Ground type moves work like Thousand Arrows)
Users: Golem-K line, Larvitar, Pupitar

Imma give my votes to Sunlight Supercharge (SV), Demented Circus (SV), Fertilizer, Combo Attacker, Surface to Air and Surround.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Edited:
Quicksand (SV), Surround (SV), Surface to Air, Alchemy, Flame Imperishable, Arena Destroyer

For Sunlight Supercharge do you mean highest Base Stat? Otherwise it will always be Speed under Chlorophyll.

Does it also consider items? Like Choice Band / Specs.

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Irresistable Poison (SV), Quicksand (SV), Alchemy, Sand Fortification, Flame Imperishable, Doomsday Clock

For Sunlight Supercharge do you mean highest Base Stat? Otherwise it will always be Speed under Chlorophyll.

Does it also consider items? Like Choice Band / Specs.
Highest base stat

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Voting shall be coming to a close later today. In the meantime, a quick notice.

Right now, Alchemy looks set to be one of the winners. Just know that if it wins (which will most likely happen), it will be IMMEDIATELY nerfed to remove the Contrary effect. That thing has the potential to be utterly absurd: Salazzle will single-handedly mandate every team to run Air Balloon/highly Specially Defensive Heatran, Roserade becomes a better Serperior in every conceivable area besides raw speed, and Naganadel needs zero explanation. Besides, even with this nerf, it still will be incredibly useful for mons like Mega Gengar, Blacephalon, Muk-Alola, even more niche things like Mega Beedrill and the aforementioned Roserade will get cool new tools.

Voting shall be coming to a close later today. In the meantime, a quick notice.

Right now, Alchemy looks set to be one of the winners. Just know that if it wins (which will most likely happen), it will be IMMEDIATELY nerfed to remove the Contrary effect. That thing has the potential to be utterly absurd: Salazzle will single-handedly mandate every team to run Air Balloon/highly Specially Defensive Heatran, Roserade becomes a better Serperior in every conceivable area besides raw speed, and Naganadel needs zero explanation. Besides, even with this nerf, it still will be incredibly useful for mons like Mega Gengar, Blacephalon, Muk-Alola, even more niche things like Mega Beedrill and the aforementioned Roserade will get cool new tools.
Alchemy does not have a contrary effect. It flips the physical/special category of any boosts or drops, provided you also are flipping the damage category. In other words, if you use a special Superpower, it drops SpA and SpD. It was actually to prevent things from being abused.

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Alchemy does not have a contrary effect. It flips the physical/special category of any boosts or drops, provided you also are flipping the damage category. In other words, if you use a special Superpower, it drops SpA and SpD. It was actually to prevent things from being abused.
Oh, I see! The part about "flipping positive and negative stat changes" caught me off-guard. Nevermind then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)