Other Metagames Be Calm - Z Groudon ft. LaBalladeDesCieux

groudon (1).png
707.png
250px-Méga-Rayquaza-ROSA.png
1572639827327.png
250px-Marshadow-SL.png
250px-Tokorico-SL.png

Introduction

Hello Smogon and welcome to our (LBDC and I) first rmt !
It is a team based around Groudon Z Precipice Blades, we built it together and since it is pretty original and we've done pretty well with it we'd like to share it before the release of gen 8.
First of all, let me explain you the creation of this team. Everything started when I used a Z Groudon for fun in a tour and realized it had huge potential in the AG meta while being able to take down PGroudon, Zygarde 100%, Mray (with dragon Claw) and possessing a pure ground type which is really interesting.
I started to spam this mon in webs teams since it was where it was the most useful and it was relatively successful (peaked like 1850).
One month ago, I asked LBDC if he was down to make a rmt about Z ground Groudon with me and that's how we get there.

Teambuild process

(notice we didn't want to build a web team because that's too mainstream)

To support Groudon, we agreed that speed control was the most important point since it really needs three attacks to deal with the meta and so can't run Rock Polish.
So we decided to put Klefki even though this mon became pretty bad in SM, it still has a niche and the combo of Prankster + Thunder Wave really helps Groudon sweep. Spikes is another useful move which also makes use of Prankster and puts pressure on teams.
The main problem for Klefki is defensive Yveltal, we so put Mega Rayquaza band which destroys Yveltal and gives us a weapon of mass destruction who can clean the field before the entrance of Groudon (or just sweep in late-game).
At this point we had to find a rock setter. The first who came across our mind was Water Ceus but after some test games we realized it wasn't that good in the team and we decided to put Poison Ceus instead. It gave us a decent Mray check and a handy mon whose can burn strong offensive mon who may be annoying for Groudon.
Mega-Gengar was a problem for the team and even if it was obviously not able to kill all the mons, we preferred to put Marshadow who while being able to take care of Mega-Gengar is basically one of the best AG mons and you can be sure it will do well in any game.
Finally, we needed a mon who was able to defog and pivot. We searched a bit and I came to the conclusion that the perfect mon was Tapu Koko. It fits perfectly in the team and even though it may look a bit strange, it’s actually pretty decent in AG and its access to both defog and u-turn was a huge benefit to the team.

Sets

Groudon @ Groundium Z
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

The main pokémon of the Team, spread and set are both pretty standard, not much to say about. You basically just set up a sword dance once you paralyzed faster mons or weakened mons who may stop Groudon. (to be honest they are very few) Beware of burn because unlike Primo-Groudon Groudon doesn't get fire type and so can be burned with Will-O-Wisp.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Play Rough

Klefki's niche in Anything Goes metagame is very simple : Prankster with very valuable support move such as Spikes, Toxic and the most important : Thunder Wave. The latter allows to Klefki to spread paralysis versus everything except Ground-type and defensive Dark-type. Because of this, Klefki pairs well with our SD 3 Attack Groudon and Choice Band MegaRay, which are two pokemons with considerable power of wallbreaking but are typically too slow to perform well versus more offensive builds. Klefki defensive typing, Steel Fairy, make Klefki second check to Fairy types after PoisonCeus Spikes is like always good tools to help wallbreaking too. Anyway, Thunder Wave, is like explained above, witch give at Klefki his niche. Toxic, badly poisoning bulky Pokémon. It allows to not give at Primal-Groudon a totally free switch. Spikes deal damage at grounded Pokémons notably the support Arceus formes. Lasty, Play Rough allows to beat some Pokémon such as offensive Yveltal, Marshadow.

Rayquaza-Mega @ Choice Band
Ability: Air Lock
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- V-create
- Waterfall

Another pretty common pokémon. Mega-Rayquaza fits in every teams thanks to its huge attack stats and great movepool. In this team Mray is used as a strong wallbreaker who helps Groudon to clean in late-game. It is also pretty helpful to deal whit stall team.

Arceus-Poison @ Toxic Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 8 Def / 144 SpD / 96 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Poison Jab
- Will-O-Wisp

Basically the rock setter, Mega-Ray check, Marshadow Counter, Xerneas Counter and many other roles. We prefered will-o-wisp over defog because the team is pretty weak to some set-up sweeper (like Mray dragon dance) and wow is the best way to deal whit that. Spread is here also pretty common.

Marshadow @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Spectral Thief
- Shadow Sneak
- Close Combat

Same as above this mon can do so many things in the current meta. It is for me one of the very best pokémon of SM Ag, if not the best. No matters pokemons the opponent is using Marshadow will always do something and it doesn't need any introduction. We run it whit Pursuit to trap Mega Gengar.

Tapu Koko @ Leftovers
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Okay, last one. You are probably wondering why we are using this "bad" mons. Eternal D rank who will probably switchs to UR in a near future. But as mentionned in introduction it was our best bet and you would probably do no trust me if I told you it is a big mistake to understimate this mon. I played like 25 games whit this team and each times koko did fairly well while bringing momentum and stall Yveltal which may be pretty annoying for the team sometimes.
Flaws and threats :

You probably understood this team relies on surprise and if you want to keep Groudon secret you will have to deal whit Ground type and play around them whit Mega-Rayquaza and if doesn't take to be a genius to uderstand that it's hella hard. If your Opponent is running Primo-groudon + Zygarde it may be pretty hard to do not reveal Groudon since it's probably the most decent check against these two.

The defensive core of the team is pretty bad and can not deal whit AG monsters (it is also 3 times weak to ground but that's a detail lol). So you will probably have to let some of them die if you want to do some whit Groudon.

Replays :

Vs stall
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-991944974-t4brbg29ie5pykn0ni70t9wlny0jxojpw

Vs Zenithial
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-996105296-m4rhby5dpcoes2psols3k3lssoaiaxzpw

Vs Pyrotuguais

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-1002313572-qtfaahzv50zw0dn5jattpdq6zkpvbrvpw

Last words

So, it was our first RMT, we probably did some errors but we guess it is quite ok for a first try :v We hope you liked the team feel free to spam Groudon in all your team and may primo-Groudon be forget for ever.

And shoutouts...
So we do not have much to say, -but before I just would like to thanks sketchy ecchi for the help he gave me for Introduction
-the Frita gang, Lancer Fr, our best portuguese friend Pyroshi02 and OM french gang.

The importable
https://pokepast.es/afce2efff77e1dc2

Attachments

Last edited:

Geysers

not round
is a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Wooohoooo another Koko RMT. I am a huge fan, solely due to the presence of koko. How does this team deal with scarf ogre while rocks are down? Ray can switch into spout only so many times. But woooo, it’s a Koko! I like this team. :blobthumbsup:

Yeah if well-used Scarf Kyogre may be annoying but MegaRay+Marshadow Shadow Sneak+Entry hazard is usually enough to prevent Scarf Ogre to sweep the team.
Then if the opponent doesn't know it is a regular Groudon he will think twice before clicking Water Spout.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)