Resource BDSP Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

I had a question, but I don't know if it was asked before: How exactly are we supposed to use Articuno? Since its only usable with its hidden ability and evasion abilities are banned, it is effectively shadowbanned. Is there a reason this ban was applied to both meta games simultaneously, and is there any hope of it being modified to having the weather effect on the team?

viet noa

eating neopronoun pizza at little xe/xyrs
is a Pre-Contributor
just wondering, when is the bdsp ou vr coming out? it's been almost two months now

I had a question, but I don't know if it was asked before: How exactly are we supposed to use Articuno? Since its only usable with its hidden ability and evasion abilities are banned, it is effectively shadowbanned. Is there a reason this ban was applied to both meta games simultaneously, and is there any hope of it being modified to having the weather effect on the team?
The evasion ban post mentions this as an oversight; apparently it will be rectified if it turns out Home support doesn't introduce Pressure Articuno into the tier.

Did a quick search for the term NU and didn’t find any related results-
Will there eventually be a BDSP NU tier? If so is that next month when (presumably) RU completes the alpha phase?

Hi everyone! Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I couldn't find the EV spread information elsewhere on the forums.

I'm a fan of Gastrodon and had been trying to get a Modest set to work and discovered the most popular EV spread with this nature for BDSP OU was 252/0/36/128/0/92. I was wondering if anyone had any further information about what benchmarks the DEF investment was trying to hit?

I understand the speed investment is to always outspeed neutral natured Tangrowth and the HP and SPATK investment is likely just for the biggest bulk and damage, respectively. But in the calculator, when calc-ing against some BDSP OU's biggest physical threats, I didn't see a notable differences that the 36 DEF EVs made. If I'm missing something, I'd really like to find out what it is so I can be prepared! This spread was super popular at a 35% usage so I'm hoping someone will know something.

Additionally, having a full understanding of the spread will better help me in my efforts to adjust it into a Lv.50 (cartridge) version of itself or make changes as I feel is needed. Thanks so much in advance!

Hello, I am a new player with his first competitive Pokemon experience in Gen 8 FFA (of all things). I've taken an interest in BDSP OU and I've played it when it came out but I got discouraged from the rain spam. I've tried laddering again and wanted to make a team with CB Scizor as a core. Here's the team I've built, please help me improve it:

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Brick Break
- Aerial Ace

220 Speed EVs are invested to outspeed 0 Speed Investment Heatran by 1 point and U turn to safety as well as outspeed Modest Magnezone. Bullet Punch with Choice Band is intended to kill Clefables being used as a Dragon spam counter as well as dent faster threats. Brick Break to hit Steels because Superpower is not in BDSP. Same reasoning with Aerial Ace (no Dual Wingbeat). Banded U Turn OHKOs Latios and dents bulky Psychic types to make it easier for the other teammates to kill.

EDIT: Not 0 Speed Heatran but 120 Speed EVs Heatran, sorry.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

When I played on the ladder, I got destroyed by Rotom-W and I checked it out. I was surprised to find out it can often OHKO Gliscor with Hydro Pump even with significant bulk investment. Trick to cripple walls like Blissey, Clefable, Quagsire, Skarmory. Volt Switch to get the appropriate Pokemon in the field to put more pressure. Wisp is a blanket option in case I have a hard time predicting if they will switch a Ground Mon like Mamoswine, Gliscor (cripples because of lack of Poison Heal), Garchomp or if they switch something like a SpDef Scizor. I often lead with this.

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn

My other lead, often against Azelf. Adamant for extra power because Scarf already provides the Speed. I just like Staraptor. Also hits hard.

Infernape @ Choice Band
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch

Hits hard and is very fast. I will lead with Infernape if I dont see an Azelf (in which case I lead with Scizor). Kills a lot of things. Mach Punch in case I need chip.

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Toxic

Sticky Web ensures my Gliscor and Scizor can outspeed Timid Heatran if it has Scarf. Toxic to put setup mons or walls on a timer. Knock Off to remove Leftovers or other significant items like pinch Berries or Choice items. Stealth Rock to chip in case the opposing team has to many Levitate/Flying mons that Webs cant affect. Still, I often feel like I just sac Shuckle instead of getting mileage out of it.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Defog
- U-turn

Jolly Nature+ 112 Speed EVs to outspeed Timid Heatran and KO with Earthquake. Defog because I realized my team has no resistances to Stealth Rock and can get worn down from U-Turn spam. Roost to keep Gliscor as healthy as possible. U-Turn to go to my other mons.

If this isn't the right thread for this question, I'm sorry in advance. If you have a different team with CB Scizor as a core, please let me know.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Empress

Took a piss on my nutsack and called it Jack Black
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ah, Gen 4. I remember the days when I used Vaporeon on my Platinum team.

Does Vaporeon have any sort of niche in BDSP OU? Why or why not?

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
Ah, Gen 4. I remember the days when I used Vaporeon on my Platinum team.

Does Vaporeon have any sort of niche in BDSP OU? Why or why not?
Pretty much no- Vaporeon is just generally worse than other defensive waters like Rotom-W (doubling as a strong pivot, too) Slowbro, (defensive) Starmie, Empoleon, Gastrodon, Quagsire, Slowking and Poliwrath, which all cover some niches that Vaporeon just can't do, since it's pretty frail to this tier's current standards (or to better put it, just loses to the specific threats available in this tier), lost Toxic, which was the only move keeping Vaporeon somewhat afloat thanks to not being completely passive against... any other water, for instance, has bad recovery and worse defensive typing than any Pokémon mentioned above, and the kind of team it COULD fit is not even played thanks to the plethora of offensive behemoths roaming the tier ruining the chances of running a Balance kind of team with it.
Vaporeon has no place in a OU build right now, and will sadly probably never have one, since it's even outclassed in lower tiers.

Will there be a BDSP Ubers Viability Rankings as well as UU anytime soon since those tiers aren't in Beta anymore?
Probably yes, leave it to the respective leaders :)

Last edited:

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
how do i beat a mixed crawdaunt when using a stall team? it sweeps my entire team because tangrowth cannot live a sludge bomb. here is the team i'm using.

https://pokepast.es/d48c3aa9fded66db
Short answer: you don't, Crawdaunt is the tier's premier stallbreaker for a reason!
Long answer: pillaring around the orb damage a bit, saving your Tang so it might live a Sludge from full, but generally you can't if you don't field nicher picks like Poliwrath in your team; not much else you can do with that particular stall team you posted, though, aside from setting hazards as soon as possible

I know we're still early into the metagame, but I'm excited to get started on a competitive team. I feel like I've got my core for my new team set (Azelf, Clefable and Scizor. Maybe Rotom?), but I'm struggling rounding the team out. Any suggestions?

I know we're still early into the metagame, but I'm excited to get started on a competitive team. I feel like I've got my core for my new team set (Azelf, Clefable and Scizor. Maybe Rotom?), but I'm struggling rounding the team out. Any suggestions?
Gliscor and Scizor makes a pretty good defensive core imo
The last 2 might be some offensive pressure like crawdaunt gengar alakazam chomp or stuffs like that
or some more defensive pokemon

Gliscor and Scizor makes a pretty good defensive core imo
The last 2 might be some offensive pressure like crawdaunt gengar alakazam chomp or stuffs like that
or some more defensive pokemon
Gliscor in place of Rotom or in addition? And thank you! Those other pokemon seem to be the standard/most popular. Trying to get as close to perfect synergy and defensive coverage as I can

Anyone have a good Sub Mamoswine set?
Something other than MaxSpeed/MaxAttack
I would appreciate an explanation for the set if you can

Jeong

Banned deucer.
Anyone have a good Sub Mamoswine set?
Something other than MaxSpeed/MaxAttack
I would appreciate an explanation for the set if you can
Good question, but if Mamoswine has something, it's offensive presence, also, in terms of moves, it's somewhat limited and always has the same thing. In any case, if Toxic wasn't illegal in BDSP that would be the set with Protect + EQ/Icicle or Ice. It would be great on a TSpikes /status spam based team.

On the other hand, you can try Sub + Swagger (I think it's legal) on a team with spam Twave / Thunder or BSlam.

Other more offensive options is his set with Sub and support from Chople or Passho Berry for Starmie or Loom (Match Punch) / Lucario (CC)

Hi guys! Sorry for the question, but what's the best nature for Feraligatr in bdsp between jolly or adamant? And is it the same for 1 Vs 1 and 2 Vs 2 match?
I'm so confused which is the best choise

Hi guys! Sorry for the question, but what's the best nature for Feraligatr in bdsp between jolly or adamant? And is it the same for 1 Vs 1 and 2 Vs 2 match?
I'm so confused which is the best choise
You can run jolly Gatr to creep things like Lucario before DD, but you miss out on a lot of other OHKOs that are crucial, and the speed gained along with one Dragon Dance (at 382 with Adamant, 420 with Jolly I blv) only hits a few more scarfers that you really shouldn't be trying to sweep with Gatr anyways (or that rarely run jolly scarf anyways like Dragonite). In the past, Agility sets were experimented with, but these were even inferior to SD + Aqua Jet variants simply because of the damage being so crucial. Gatr's bulky but not Rhyperior bulky where he only needs speed to kill things. Adamant is generally the best for these reasons since you're either doing Aqua Jet+SD, or DD+3 attacks. This croc is meant to come in like a wrecking ball and leave nothing standing.

You can run jolly Gatr to creep things like Lucario before DD, but you miss out on a lot of other OHKOs that are crucial, and the speed gained along with one Dragon Dance (at 382 with Adamant, 420 with Jolly I blv) only hits a few more scarfers that you really shouldn't be trying to sweep with Gatr anyways (or that rarely run jolly scarf anyways like Dragonite). In the past, Agility sets were experimented with, but these were even inferior to SD + Aqua Jet variants simply because of the damage being so crucial. Gatr's bulky but not Rhyperior bulky where he only needs speed to kill things. Adamant is generally the best for these reasons since you're either doing Aqua Jet+SD, or DD+3 attacks. This croc is meant to come in like a wrecking ball and leave nothing standing.
Thanks a lot! I suppose to run Feraligatr whit DD and classic waterfall, ice punch and crunch. I have some doubt because in the past jolly was user, but probably now adamant is better.

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
Speaking for OU purposes, Jolly Feraligatr is only worth for specific thresholds (you outspeed things such as Lucario, Timid Heatran, and the max speed base 70s like Breloom at +0, and Weavile at +1), but you miss a lot of KO or 2HKOs that you would otherwise get, most importantly 2HKOing Clefable, which otherwise walls you in stall, among other things
The choice is yours, although the rule of thumb is usually "if you're behind Dual Screens just run Adamant Feraligatr, otherwise do as it fits better in your team"

Potentially just me being blind, but I don't see a Contributions and Corrections sub for BDSP. Will BDSP OU (and I guess lower tiers as well) be getting onsite analyses? I know some mons have stubs, but are there plans on making them large, fleshed-out ones?

what pokemon can check mamoswine other than skarm? ideally, this pokemon should be able to switch into an earthquake or icicle crash and not take 50% in damage. this includes stealth rock, freeze-dry, and banded variants. it would be an added bonus if it could also wall weavile, but this is not necessary.
Rotom-W?

KaenSoul

FuegoAlma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
this is good but i was also looking for something that could also remove/use stealth rocks as well
Well now thats asking for too much as most defoggers cant take on Mamoswine's stabs, and for spinners not even fully invested cloyster takes EQ well.
But as rocker there is Bronzong, who isnt the most viable mon in the tier outside of checking Mamoswine and some dragons but it does what you need i guess, it may be a bit better now without Gengar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)