Resource BDSP Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Weavile still has icicle crash which even in gen 8 was usually more viable. The biggest lost is Knock Off, now, it has to contend with night slash and throat chop. Personally, weavile is no longer going to be as good as gen 8 but it will not lose viability. knock off is 130 BP once and 65 normally. throat chop needs to be used 3 times to even out which isn't the best is still pretty close.

romanji

/ᐠ - ˕ -マ
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
With Weavile being robbed of both Triple Axel and Knock Off, will its viability start plummeting?
Not necessarily, I would even say Weavile is around A in my opinion. Its STAB combination and Speed are still excellent, since is great against offensive teams that rely on Starmie/Latios/Alakazam as the super fast wallbreakers and it can force out other threats like Garchomp, Gliscor, and Roserade. Throat Chop and Icicle Crash aren’t that bad, especially coming off 120 Attack, and Ice Shard is good against Dragonite, Scarf Latis, and Breloom going for Mach Punch. It doesn't like Scizor's omnipresence, and can't do much against Fire-types like Infernape and Heatran, but it certainly isn't going to plummet in viability.

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
With Weavile being robbed of both Triple Axel and Knock Off, will its viability start plummeting?
Not at all, it's much coveted in the tier right now thanks to its fantastic Speed and still getting access to a bunch of useful moves, like SD, a strong priority in this meta full of dragons, and decent coverage to use with a Band or SD to not care at all- while it lost some tools, it's still a solid presence thanks to its qualities (outspeeding everyone bar Scarfers and Aerodactyl, the latter one only being used as lead and killing Latios, Alakazam and Gengar, among many other)

If manaphy gets banned, do we get drizzle back?
No, Drizzle was banned for more reasons than just the presence of Manaphy (example being Specs Latios using Surf to even get the better against SpDef Scizor, CB Azumarill and Crawdaunt being even more uncheckable, and the IMMENSE slew of good Swift Swim users)

Not sure if I should be posting this question here or somewhere else but how do I teach Gyarados Ice Fang if it learns it at level 8? Could not find the answer online, thanks in advance.

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
Not sure if I should be posting this question here or somewhere else but how do I teach Gyarados Ice Fang if it learns it at level 8? Could not find the answer online, thanks in advance.
Probably better to ask in the Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl subforum of the In-game forum, but you just have to use the Move Relearner at Pastoria City and give it a Heart Scale.

I’m new to competitive pkm and of all pokemon I can’t seem to find an up to date cookie cutter clefable support set. For this kind of fairy, what’s the best nature, ev spread and fundamental moves?

Hey guys Bob here!

Bob want to use fully defensive jolly Gliscor with 244/244 on HP and Def, with 20+ speed
Can we go well without SpD?
Or do we need specific SpD to survive OHKO/2HKO from certain meta mon?

Thank you in advance, have a good day!

I’m new to competitive pkm and of all pokemon I can’t seem to find an up to date cookie cutter clefable support set. For this kind of fairy, what’s the best nature, ev spread and fundamental moves?
Depends on the type of team you're building. The beauty of Clef is that is that you can tailor it to fill whatever need you need since its so versatile. If you've got solid special bulk on your team already then you can go with a more physically bulky varriant to handle that side of the meta - or vice versa. The only definitive thing that can be said is that Unaware is by far the most prefered ability on Clef atm because of how many important setup threats are in the meta, especially Manaphy. Chomp, Weavile and Dragonite are also popular threats that Clef is often tasked with handling and bring incentive to run a phys. def spread. Magic Guard still exists and is an option if you have issues with dealing with passive damage from stall teams and hazards, but is generally less optimal atm.

As far as move explanation goes:
Moonblast is pretty much a staple on all clef - it's powerful stab and as often it's sole attacking move it gets by on it pretty well. Some folks occasionally opt for Ice Beam as it's sole attacking move for it's ability to still nail dragon targets hard as well as the 4x weak Gliscor that can often wall a non CM clef, but it's a rare occurance and most folks prefer sticking to Moonblast for it's stab.

Thunder Wave cripples targets so that clef or it's teamates mons can abuse them. A common tactic is pairing Twave up with Flamethrower so when steels like Scizor switch in to sponge a hit to then try and scare it out gets crippled by the para, which means it predicts a switch with u-turn (not expecting flamethrower) it will be slower and clef can suprise ko or seriously dent them with the coverage. If your physically bulky you don't have to fear a Bullet Punch, except from a Choice Band set, if your healthy enough either. Clef can take the hit well.

Stealth Rocks are good utility since clef has recovery and can keep coming back in to put them up again and again throughout a game.

Wish/Protect is a good combo to get back health not only on itself but also pass it to it's teammates that also comes with the side benefit of having more pp than moonlight, which has issues of being depleted fast or being cut down in effectiveness by the occasional weather setter's presence. The tradeaway is that you have to sacrifice an extra moveslot to protect to ensure you can always recieve the wish on yourself, but it's not the end of the world. Tacking on Aromatherapy in the 3rd slot is common and lets clef go all on being a clergic support mon.

Calm Mind is a potent setup tool. Go all in on phys def to better take hits since you'll be boosting up from the other side of the spectrum, shoring up your weakness there. Most CM sets are Moonlight for recovery since they want the extra coverage option over having to slot in protect for wish. Flamethrower, Ice Beam and Tbolt are all viable coverage options, or twave if you really want to get the jump on other faster mons or have a better chance of beating other Clef.

Items:
Leftover is pretty much a given on clef for additional recovery, Unaware and Magic Guard alike. Although Magic Guard can make use of Life Orb since it avoids the drawback of life orb recoil. If you really want more kick to your clef, then LO is viable on the MG set.

I've compiled some of the different types of Clefs from teams posted within the Sample Teams thread for ya so you can get a general idea of what folks have been running. Hope this guides you in the right direction.
https://pokepast.es/ae9227b4ec6c981a

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
What's a good partner for Breloom?

Depends on the team, Brelooms good partners on offense are Scizor, Lucario, Garchomp, and other setup sweepers such as Gengar. There are countless possibilities for hyper offense teams. Alongside leads like Azelf or Uxie for Stealth Rock / Screens.

Other good partners are the ones who can check what Breloom is weak too, Psychic- and Flying-types and something against Gengar as example are great partners, something like Weavile is a good offensive partner, Scizor can check Latis, Magnezone can check Latis and bring in Breloom safely.

Fire-type checks such as Garchomp, your own Lati twins, Dragonite make for great partners as well.

There are countless great partners for Breloom depending on what you need.

Hopeffuly this helped :)

Depends on the type of team you're building. The beauty of Clef is that is that you can tailor it to fill whatever need you need since its so versatile. If you've got solid special bulk on your team already then you can go with a more physically bulky varriant to handle that side of the meta - or vice versa. The only definitive thing that can be said is that Unaware is by far the most prefered ability on Clef atm because of how many important setup threats are in the meta, especially Manaphy. Chomp, Weavile and Dragonite are also popular threats that Clef is often tasked with handling and bring incentive to run a phys. def spread. Magic Guard still exists and is an option if you have issues with dealing with passive damage from stall teams and hazards, but is generally less optimal atm.

As far as move explanation goes:
Moonblast is pretty much a staple on all clef - it's powerful stab and as often it's sole attacking move it gets by on it pretty well. Some folks occasionally opt for Ice Beam as it's sole attacking move for it's ability to still nail dragon targets hard as well as the 4x weak Gliscor that can often wall a non CM clef, but it's a rare occurance and most folks prefer sticking to Moonblast for it's stab.

Thunder Wave cripples targets so that clef or it's teamates mons can abuse them. A common tactic is pairing Twave up with Flamethrower so when steels like Scizor switch in to sponge a hit to then try and scare it out gets crippled by the para, which means it predicts a switch with u-turn (not expecting flamethrower) it will be slower and clef can suprise ko or seriously dent them with the coverage. If your physically bulky you don't have to fear a Bullet Punch, except from a Choice Band set, if your healthy enough either. Clef can take the hit well.

Stealth Rocks are good utility since clef has recovery and can keep coming back in to put them up again and again throughout a game.

Wish/Protect is a good combo to get back health not only on itself but also pass it to it's teammates that also comes with the side benefit of having more pp than moonlight, which has issues of being depleted fast or being cut down in effectiveness by the occasional weather setter's presence. The tradeaway is that you have to sacrifice an extra moveslot to protect to ensure you can always recieve the wish on yourself, but it's not the end of the world. Tacking on Aromatherapy in the 3rd slot is common and lets clef go all on being a clergic support mon.

Calm Mind is a potent setup tool. Go all in on phys def to better take hits since you'll be boosting up from the other side of the spectrum, shoring up your weakness there. Most CM sets are Moonlight for recovery since they want the extra coverage option over having to slot in protect for wish. Flamethrower, Ice Beam and Tbolt are all viable coverage options, or twave if you really want to get the jump on other faster mons or have a better chance of beating other Clef.

Items:
Leftover is pretty much a given on clef for additional recovery, Unaware and Magic Guard alike. Although Magic Guard can make use of Life Orb since it avoids the drawback of life orb recoil. If you really want more kick to your clef, then LO is viable on the MG set.

I've compiled some of the different types of Clefs from teams posted within the Sample Teams thread for ya so you can get a general idea of what folks have been running. Hope this guides you in the right direction.
https://pokepast.es/ae9227b4ec6c981a
Thank you for this thorough answer!
Why 0 IV in attack for some of the sets?

Last edited:
Thank you for this thorough answer!
Why 0 IV in attack for some of the sets?
It's actually because since Clefable uses only SpA, there's only negatives to having a perfect attack IV.
For example, confusion status uses the attack stats to calculate self-inflicted damage, so in that case having an high attack IV ends up being detrimental, causing more damage than a pokemon with 0 attack IV.

This is why on mons like Gengar or Alakazam, who are special attackers, there are no legitimate reasons to have high attack stats, it'll only end up causing more harm than good.

It's actually because since Clefable uses only SpA, there's only negatives to having a perfect attack IV.
For example, confusion status uses the attack stats to calculate self-inflicted damage, so in that case having an high attack IV ends up being detrimental, causing more damage than a pokemon with 0 attack IV.

This is why on mons like Gengar or Alakazam, who are special attackers, there are no legitimate reasons to have high attack stats, it'll only end up causing more harm than good.
Got it, ty. So a "Decent" IV (0-15) might be good enough? Breeding for that No good is really extenuating.

I'm looking to add rotom wash to my team, I see bold and timid as the two most common natures. I understand one is bulkier while the other is speedier, but bold is to answer to what and same for timid?

Got it, ty. So a "Decent" IV (0-15) might be good enough? Breeding for that No good is really extenuating.

I'm looking to add rotom wash to my team, I see bold and timid as the two most common natures. I understand one is bulkier while the other is speedier, but bold is to answer to what and same for timid?
Bold is help take physical hits better. It can pivot into threats like Infernape, Starraptor, Feraligatr, and Mamoswine a lot better with more investment and last throughout a game.

Timid has some use for outspeeding certain targets, like Breloom while using less investment, but is primarily used on the choice item sets - which Rotom favors a lot due to being the premier user of Trick atm. Being able to Trick a wall with a choice item is big and Rotom takes advantage of being able to use the item effectively too. The speed investment with Timid can be used to outpace theats like Starmie, Zam, Aero, or other scarfers or boosters in the near base 80's club like Gatr, Mamo, Heatran, and Togekiss. Specs plays the near the same, minus outspeeding the naturally faster targets, and focuses on nuking things that think they can stay in on rotom, or crippling walls just as the scarf set.

The phys def oriented rotom is easier to autopilot, but imo the timid choiced sets are far better right now because of how the meta is. I'd recommend starting with the leftovers set to get a feel for how Rotom works, then try out the choiced varriants down the line.

Last edited:

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
fyi even non choiced tom like timid since tom is more as a °i can burn or pump half the meta before they can hit me" instead of trying to tank hits with no recovery, so you'd ideally ALWAYS want a bit of speed on your rotoms no matter want (like say, at the very least to overtake breloom, or even higher)

Alternatives to Latios and Manaphy in the event that they get suspect tested [again]?
Gengar is squishy but has nasty plot and great coverage options. 350 speed too which is nice

Latias, Kingdra, Flygon, or suboptimal Dragonite can all throw specs draco meteor around if that's what you're after. Lowkey, if Latios has to go Uber, everyone will literally just spraypaint him red and keep trucking like nothing happened.

When Janaury stats drops. What is the next low tier to enter alpha like UU in December?
If we use actual low tier is going to be RU but in gen 4 RU didn´t exist bc of the low amount of mons. Basically my question is what low tier is next? RU or NU??

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
I just want to know what the general EV spreads are for Mons in BDSP but can't seem anything about it.
Is better to make spreads based on what you need but the usage stats have information about the most used sets, just check the follow link to see the most used sets from november https://www.smogon.com/stats/2021-11/moveset/gen8bdspou-1760.txt
December sets should be out in the next 24 hours, just check the stats page (https://www.smogon.com/stats/) tomorrow and there should be a link for december 2021, then click moveset/ and look for gen8bdsp formats, it should specify tier (ou, uu, uber, etc) and a number to represent ladder rank (like the 1760 from the link above being high ladder).
What are the best Azelf sets for bdsp
Azelf is a very flexible mon, it depends on what you want to do with it, but as an offensive psychic type it has to compete with Latios, Alakazam and Starmie, it does the rol of a suicide lead pretty well.
You can try some of this sets and improve them based on what you need https://pokepast.es/e68788672ae9a148

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)