Project BDSP OU How To Lure (Week Seven: Alakazam)

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
:azelf: and :cresselia: are my votes

also counter blissey is heat :^(
Azelf: Azelf lures TTar in as soon as you reveal you don't have U-turn, otherwise its just getting chipped to no end, although you can get away with a T1 Drain Punch lead if it happens

Missy: Mismagius isnt REALLY a TTar lure considering at the very least they pack WoW and at the very worst you just get killed by the LO one

Weavile: 252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 181-214 (53 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO; someone needs to rethink what a lure means

Tangrowth: in what universe Tang can't just regen any damage away and just Knock? How is that a lure

Cresselia: this is an actual lure, since usual Cresselias are CM and only a few of them have Moonblast to actually dent Tyranitar, so Cresselia is one of the mons usually deemed safe for Ttar to switch in and get surprisely burned (although Moonblast can do the trick too? Maybe?)

Slowbro: how do you lure Ttar with a Pokémon that can Scald it in the face twice (even thrice if you switch out once), since Slowbro always eats a Band Crunch, which is the worst possible scenario? The most ironic thing out of this is that Drain Punch Colbur Slowbro lures Weavile, and that is ACTUALLY a set I saw and that works, AND the calc on TTar isn't even horrible too!
0 Atk Slowbro Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 156-188 (45.7 - 55.1%) -- 55.9% chance to 2HKO (19.7 - 23.8% recovered)
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Colbur Berry Slowbro: 148-175 (37.5 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage

Xilefi

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I would like to apologise for my calculations. I forgot to take into account the damage caused by sandstorms (for some reason I always forget something). Thanks to Acrophobic_Avian for the notification. It can technically faint if Crunch and U-Turn deal above average damage. I'll amend my submission and hopefully it won't affect the vote too much.

Edit : It can technically faint if Crunch and U-Turn deal above average damage plus Stealth Rock (I realised it wasn't that clear)

Last edited:

Xilefi

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I vote for Lalaya :blissey:Counter Blissey and yonitet :cresselia:Psycho Shift Cresselia.

I got got once or twice by this Counter Blissey and I think it can be a reasonable choice if you don't need SR on it. About yonitet submission, it is kinda heat ! This is what we like to see while playing especially in these rough times where the tyrant is not Ttar.

I do follow a good part of the reasoning of Lalaya for the others : Tangrowth doesn't need Brick Break, Choice Band Weavile already 2HKO with Icicle Crash, I would fear the status ailment from Mismagius and most Azelf just U-turn or Boom.

Tynaritar is a pokemon safely brought by its mate with U-Turn or Volt Switch against slower pokemon that neither pivots nor applies status.

yonitet

Banned deucer.
Changing my vote from Slowbro to counter bliss. Azelf stays the same.

Slowbro doesn't really lure in ttar as it is still a bulky water facing off a rock type. Ttar can hypothetically swap into Slowbro, but it's never being baited into doing so as it can greatly backfire

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
Edit : It can technically faint if Crunch and U-Turn deal above average damage plus Stealth Rock (I realised it wasn't that clear)
this is way too much of a worse scenario to expect to just amend the submission jeez

My vote goes to slowbro and psycho shift cress. The others aren't really lures as brick break weavile is literally a standered set and counter bliss has always been a option while Mismag basically always runs energy ball for a safe option on crawdaunt, etc. And tang would rather just use full defensive power whip. And ttar wouldn't want to swap in on azelf U-turn anyways.

Oh god.. yet again, congrats to yonitet and Lalaya for winning the third week in a row! We also have another winner, Xilefi! This week was an interesting three way tie haha

Breloom
:ss/breloom:

Breloom @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Force Palm
- Rock Tomb​

Submissions will end on Friday, and Voting will end on Sunday. Have fun everyone :)

Last edited:

yonitet

Banned deucer.
1648052786840.png

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Fling
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics

I already have a writeup on this Gliscor in Offbeat Heat (https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/bdsp-heat.3698554/#post-9160305) but keeping it short; it outspeeds jolly breloom, and baits it in as Gliscor very rarely carries flying stab. This is of course offensive gliscor, meaning it breaks several promiment speed tiers while easily OHKOing Breloom with acrobatics, even if it hasnt flung it's toxic orb yet.

Last edited:

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
:dp/scizor: @ :choice band:
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Brick Break
- Roost

Not gonna lie, this literally has no lures except like 2 (acro gliscor, which i will spoil from yonitet, and sap sipper azumarill, which is just a bad pokemon i would never use outside of stall, it leaves you losing to Crawdaunt unlike Poliwrath, and if you see an azumarill in a stall chances are you have enough brainpower to know that its not banded); Breloom is a Pokémon of extremes; either it knows it can KO something, or it just switches out if it can't (especially because it's Banded and its main STAB is priority while the other is a multi-hit, so you should either tank two hits on switchin or just threaten it offensively, which isnt difficult at all); I personally wouldnt have picked this as a How To Lure candidate, but oh well

that being said this is probably the closest you can get to an unexpected revengekill:

It can't kill you with anything (252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Force Palm vs. 0 HP / 40 Def Scizor: 232-274 (82.5 - 97.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock) and you can just BP twice, or even once (252 Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Breloom: 178-210 (68.1 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO), while your priority outspeeds theirs
216 Speed + Jolly Nature jump every Magnezone so you can Brick them (you can't jump Heatran anyway, unless they're defensive), and obviously outspeed Adamant Breloom (no reason to be Jolly on Band, I guess...)

:dp/scizor: @ :choice band:
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Brick Break
- Roost

Not gonna lie, this literally has no lures except like 2 (acro gliscor, which i will spoil from yonitet, and sap sipper azumarill, which is just a bad pokemon i would never use outside of stall, it leaves you losing to Crawdaunt unlike Poliwrath, and if you see an azumarill in a stall chances are you have enough brainpower to know that its not banded); Breloom is a Pokémon of extremes; either it knows it can KO something, or it just switches out if it can't (especially because it's Banded and its main STAB is priority while the other is a multi-hit, so you should either tank two hits on switchin or just threaten it offensively, which isnt difficult at all); I personally wouldnt have picked this as a How To Lure candidate, but oh well

that being said this is probably the closest you can get to an unexpected revengekill:

It can't kill you with anything (252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Force Palm vs. 0 HP / 40 Def Scizor: 232-274 (82.5 - 97.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock) and you can just BP twice, or even once (252 Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Breloom: 178-210 (68.1 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO), while your priority outspeeds theirs
216 Speed + Jolly Nature jump every Magnezone so you can Brick them (you can't jump Heatran anyway, unless they're defensive), and obviously outspeed Adamant Breloom (no reason to be Jolly on Band, I guess...)
yeah i thought of that, there rnt many lures but was trying to test and see what creative stuff ppl come up with. If it doesnt work out i’ll just keep it simple from now on xD
Thx for the feedback tho :D

Lalaya makes a pretty good point. Breloom doesn't necessarily switch into anything directly. It depends on VoltTurn cores and revenge killing for the most part because almost everything in OU right now has something that can cripple Breloom. This causes Breloom's top 2 teammates in usage to be Scizor and Gliscor, which both provide pivoting. So, the lure I've conceptualized revolves around exploiting the pivoting Breloom relies on.

magnezone.gif

Magnezone @ Chople Berry
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Tri Attack

I'll be honest, it's probably better to just run a Tangrowth on your team to deal with Breloom instead of using something as abnormal as a Chople Berry Magnezone. But in terms of specifically luring, this works amazing. The idea is that you switch in Magnezone when your opponent clicks U-Turn, thus allowing them to think they have a free kill with Force Palm. This works because U-Turn removes the worry about Sturdy, and Choice Scarfed Magnezone doesn't OHKO Breloom. Analytic and max Special Attack means Magenzone will always kill, and the 248 HP accounts for U-Turn chip and Stealth Rocks.

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Force Palm vs. 248 HP / 4 Def Chople Berry Magnezone: 214-253 (62.3 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Analytic Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Breloom: 280-331 (107.2 - 126.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Jeong

Banned deucer.

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace

random, simple but effective.
Edit; I was in the wrong place lol.

Alright, its voting time.

Submissions

yonitet with fling + acrobatics gliscor :gliscor:

Lalaya with choice band scizor :scizor:

xyue with chople berry magnezone :magnezone:

Kiry4n with focus sash tyranitar (idk about the explanation, elaborate with calcs) :tyranitar:
Voting time will end on Sunday.
Side note: These types of threats won't be featured in the future (ones with like two lures). Sorry for this week...

yonitet

Banned deucer.
im only gonna vote for 1 person cuz if i vote for any more its gonna be a 3-way tie again ;<
my vote goes to xyue with chopple berry zone. this isnt really anyone's bad teambuilding, just nothing really lures in CB breloom. Toxorb loom at least readily swaps into washtom as its the only bulky water without ice beam. Just, not a lureable mon its more or less like trying to lure shedinja into a stealth rocker.

the gliscor is really cool ! another alternative is runnin protect instead of SD, let's you activate nicely and the recovery + scouting in the later rounds is great

Voting time is up! Sorry for the delay, but this week's winner was xyue with chople berry magnezone, congrats :D
This weeks threat is...

Latios
:ss/latios:

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Surf
- Thunderbolt​
Have fun everybody!

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
:dp/Breloom: @ :Choice Band:
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Force Palm
- Rock Tomb

we do be thievin
but really, latios is no stranger into switching in a loom so you just Rock Tomb it twice to kill (252 Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Rock Tomb vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 177-209 (58.8 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) or Force Palm para it (its still a 3hko)
it cant quite rkill but it definitely can lure it into switching in you, for every Latios set and even Latias

yonitet

Banned deucer.
Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 236 HP / 220 Def / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Mirror Coat

Milotic an exceptional physical wall in OU. It can ohko and swap into threats like Dragonite and Garchomp. But the abillity to do so comes at the investment of physical bulk, which leaves Milotic's special defensive side somewhat vulnerable. Because of this, strong special attackers like Latios can quite easily swap into Milotic, as ice beam does around 30%; not enough to deter an attack, and psychic can 2HKO after rocks, as well as draco meteor being able to do up to 80%. Since most grass and electric types in both OU and UU are somewhat bulky special attackers like Roserade and Rotom-W, Milotic can easily remove them with mirror coat, as well as deterring opposing pokemon from targeting it's uninvested defensive stat, which can easily deter them from attacking Milotic again. This of course also applies to Latios, as Milotic is never OHKO'd by thunderbolt and 'invited' in Latios as Latios is very often on offensive teams that would be willing to sacrifice 30% on their Latios to have threats like Infernape run uncontested.

tangrowth.gif

Tangrowth @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Power Whip
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake

Tangrowth is known to have an awful special defense stat, sitting at dismal 50, which allows powerful special attackers to take advantage the lackluster stat and gain a free switch-in. Even Rotom-Wash can threaten Tangrowth if you're not careful, despite the fact Tangrowth resits all its moves.

The poor special bulk lets Tangrowth act as an effective lure for Latios (Draco Meteor always OHKOs). And while Knock Off is a common move seen on Tangrowth, attack investment is never expected. So Latios will commonly switch into Tangrowth, thinking it can't do anything back. Choice Band and an Adamant nature means Knock Off will always kill on the switch-in. Earthquake is there to deal with common Latios teammates, such as Heatran and Infernape (Tangrowth lures these two extremely well). Poison Jab hits opposing Tangrowth and Breloom. And Choice Banded Power Whip quite literally 2HKOs the entire tier, other than those that resist Grass-type moves. This thing can throw a lot of people off gaurd, because Tangrowth is typically seen as a defensive staple.

252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 350-412 (116.2 - 136.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)