Project BDSP OU How To Lure (Week Seven: Alakazam)

Kiry4n's Flygon cuz im easy and Dnite (just barely). Clef already struggles swapping into Dnite, unless its confirmed its ddance, in which case its free game, but as long as it hasn't revealed ddance Clef isn't swapping in, but still more of a lure than the others. Azumarill isn't a lure whatsoever, it already 2HKO's Clef with either of it's stabs, and can just PP stall the meager 8 PP of Moonlight or get a free swap from wish protect. Alakazam is just barely a lure, as clef already struggles swapping into it's psychics, potentially being 2HKO'd.
i'd like to point out that azumarill never 2HKOs clefable ( 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 157-186 (39.9 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery, 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 139-165 (35.3 - 41.9%) -- 84.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery).

maybe i didn't explain that well as to why azu is a lure for clef. so, unaware clefable is recognized in the metagame as a pokemon that shuts down setup sweepers and functions as glue for most defensive teams. outside of revenge killing and priority, there are only 6 reliable checks for belly drum azumarill: haze milotic, defensive rotom-wash, shaymin, clefable, breloom and quagsire. everything other than these 6 pokemon will either get OHKO'd by aqua jet or is just naturally slower and dies to waterfall or play rough. this is why i say azumarill lures clefable in. clefable is one the best defensive answers for belly drum azumarill. it can tank waterfall and play rough, while healing up by using wish. the quality control description for clefable even describes it as a check for belly drum azu, "Defensive Clefable is a staple for bulkier teams as it provides a blanket check for a myriad of setup sweepers in the tier such as Feraligatr, Garchomp, and Azumarill, courtesy of its ability Unaware" (https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/clefable-qc-0-2.3700167/). in my experience at least, I've always had success switching clefable into azumarill, and when I've used belly drum azumarill against opposing teams with clefable, it's always been switched in.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8bdspou-1557229937 (proof that protect + wish clef checks azu)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8bdspou-1557231990 (proof that moonlight clef checks azu)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8bdspou-1557233293 (example of azumarill luring clefable)

Last edited:

yonitet

Banned deucer.
i'd like to point out that azumarill never 2HKOs clefable ( 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 157-186 (39.9 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery, 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 139-165 (35.3 - 41.9%) -- 84.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery).

maybe i didn't explain that well as to why azu is a lure for clef. so, unaware clefable is recognized in the metagame as a pokemon that shuts down setup sweepers and functions as glue for most defensive teams. outside of revenge killing and priority, there are only 6 reliable checks for belly drum azumarill: haze milotic, defensive rotom-wash, shaymin, clefable, breloom and quagsire. everything other than these 6 pokemon will either get OHKO'd by aqua jet or is just naturally slower and dies to waterfall or play rough. this is why i say azumarill lures clefable in. clefable is one the best defensive answers for belly drum azumarill. it can tank waterfall and play rough, while healing up by using wish. the quality control description for clefable even describes it as a check for belly drum azu, "Defensive Clefable is a staple for bulkier teams as it provides a blanket check for a myriad of setup sweepers in the tier such as Feraligatr, Garchomp, and Azumarill, courtesy of its ability Unaware" (https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/clefable-qc-0-2.3700167/). in my experience at least, I've always had success switching clefable into azumarill, and when I've used belly drum azumarill against opposing teams with clefable, it's always been switched in.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8bdspou-1557229937 (proof that protect + wish clef checks azu)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8bdspou-1557231990 (proof that moonlight clef checks azu)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8bdspou-1557233293 (example of azumarill luring clefable)
What I was trying to get at is that most Azumarill are CB, so just like dnite, clef player will have to confirm which it is first, and most azu are CB, so clef isn't just brainlessly swapping in.

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
Not many voted this time around, but still enough to declare a winner! Congrats to FailureGirl and CB Iron Tail Dragonite! :dragonite:

Get ready to be sued into oblivion for copyright use of... some spoons, because the next How To Lure target is....

:dp/Alakazam: @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot​

You have until Friday, April 29 at 11:59 AM GMT+2 to submit!

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
I'd say reserve Sucker Nidoking but I'm not sure if NP is taken into account as it would fail. It's a game but I want to be sure.
allowed (its feasible that zam would just psychic you instead of risking a orb sludge in the face ig)

Turns out Weezing is actually B- on Viability ranking, alright then -

Weezing @ Payapa Berry
Ability: Neutralizing Gas / Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Atk / 228 Def
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD (if you run Assurance)
Impish Nature
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Payback / Assurance
- Sludge Bomb

Alakazam is not known for switching into attacks due to its poor defensive capability, but nonetheless Weezing has a chance to lure it out as an aggressive switch in to will-o-wisp, in which case we can use payback to take it out.

Edit: Just found out Payback's power no longer doubles if the target switches out after Gen V. So I will list Assurance + Neutralizing Gas as an alternative option to Payback. With hazards up Zam will take full damage from Assurance. And in the 1v1 scenario, Neutralizing Gas will cause Zam to take life orb recoil and Assurance will deal double damage.

28 Atk Weezing Payback (100 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam: 252-298 (100.3 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Weezing Assurance (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam: 294-346 (117.1 - 137.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Since predicting something like this is not very reliable, running Payapa berry lets us live life orb boosted psychic from Zam and win the 1v1 match up. Due to not having black sludge, we have pain split in order to heal ourselves back up on something like a Blissey.

252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Payapa Berry Weezing: 265-312 (79.3 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(Specs psychic from Latios is also heavily in our favor too lol)
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Payapa Berry Weezing: 297-349 (88.9 - 104.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Last edited:
I was planning to do this before Kiry4n's post, but she stopped me from posting it-however her 24hrs are up, so...

:bw/nidoking:
Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 12 Atk / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

The Attack EVs are ensure an OHKO against Alakazam with a Sucker Punch when they go for a psychic against you. Other than that, it's a pretty basic set; you can replace the other moves as you wish.
Calc: 12 Atk Life Orb Nidoking Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 252-299 (100.3 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Jeong

Banned deucer.

Machamp @ Custap Berry
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Endure
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Close Combat

I don't think Alakazam uses NP vs champ. It's a bit risky, so using Psychic vs Endure + Knock Off is the most sensible thing to do.

yonitet

Banned deucer.
Time to start voting! we have 3 submissions this time around:

Payapa Berry Wheezing by kfcbbq
Sucker Punch Nidoking by PowerofMemes
and Endure Custap Machamp by Kiry4n

Since were a bit late this time around, the votes will be due Monday May 9'th 11:59 PM!

See you around

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
not gonna lie assurance ngas weezing is hilarious but i would just use it levitate generally
im voting sucker nidoking and assurance ngas weezing either way, one because i would actually reasonably see and the other just because its stupid as hell but has a sense behind it

yonitet

Banned deucer.
Tallying up the scores!

Sucker Punch Nidoking & Papaya Weezing got 2 votes!
My personal vote goes Papaya Weezing but my vote doesn't count cuz
"with great power comes great responsiblity"
Anyway there is a tie for first place! Gz kfcbbq and PowerofMemes!

On to the next Lure!
as some of you might have seen, the next pokemon were baiting in is Garchomp!

Garchomp
Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 236 Atk / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Swords Dance

Garchomp is a lot more lureable than a lot of previous things we've had thanks to its disgustingly high natural bulk letting it swap into many things.
Good luck with your luring & have your submissions ready by Sunday, May 22 (omg thats 1 day before my bday) by 11:59 AM GMT +2

tyranitar.gif

Tyranitar @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 160 HP / 236 SpA / 112 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast

while one could argue that tyranitar is hard to switch into due to how hard it is to scout, garchomp is one of the best all-around checks for most tyranitar sets. garchomp naturally outspeeds, OHKOs with earthquake, and can survive every attack outside of ice-type moves. simply put, garchomp loves to switch into tyranitar. the spread i've provided will OHKO every garchomp spread besides tank garchomp (248 HP evs), which is extremely uncommon within bdsp ou anyways. 160 HP investment is there so that tyranitar survies with just around 50% after a shuca berry absorbed earthquake, and will survive two earthquakes from gliscor. the rest of the evs are dumped into special defense so that it better handles alakazam, latias, starmie, and rotom-wash.

ice beam of course there for garchomp, but it also hits gliscor extremely hard (does 85.2 - 101.1%, 12.5% chance to OHKO), and fire blast is there for skarmory and scizor (keep in mind fire blast doesn't OHKO scizor everytime, 56.3% chance to OHKO, and sassy nature tyranitar is outspeed by scizor).

236 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 360-424 (100.8 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

236 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Tyranitar: 195-230 (51.1 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Tyranitar: 196-231 (51.4 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Garchomp Earthquake vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Tyranitar: 247-292 (64.8 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Jeong

Banned deucer.
Again, very original.

Tentacruel @ Custap Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Endure
- Ice Beam

Thanks to its good Endure priority it allows me to hold EQ + IB with Custap support to eliminate chomp. Being a x4 special move I don't fear the Rough Skin ability.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder

The standard blissey set is set-up fodder for chomp but offensive blissey will absolutely demolish it.

252+ SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 344-408 (96.3 - 114.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

We run stealth rock as our final move since it helps in 2 ways:
  1. It can lure in common hazard removers like scizor, gliscor and starmie and we have coverage to hit those
  2. Opponent is less likely to predict ice beam since the calm mind set doesn't run rocks

Last edited:

yonitet

Banned deucer.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder

The standard blissey set is set-up fodder for chomp but offensive blissey will absolutely demolish it.

252+ SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 344-408 (96.3 - 114.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

We run stealth rock as our final move since it helps in 2 ways:
  1. It can lure in common hazard removers like scizor, gliscor and starmie and we have coverage to hit those
  2. Opponent is less likely to predict ice beam since the calm mind set doesn't run rocks
I'd run a slightly different set. Blissey giving up all of it's defense investment is bad and makes lefties kinda useless so let me show a compromise:

Blissey (F) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpA
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

How was everyone awake then O-O. Ah, timezones...

:bw/nidoking: Yes, again.
Nidoking (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Flamethrower

It lures Garchomp in with them thinking you're a bad player and giving them a free OHKO: 236 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 402-474 (132.6 - 156.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO, but then it surprises it with its Choice Scarf and OHKOs it with Ice Beam; I don't think you need that calc to believe that one.

Edit: I just realized I put the ability as Poison Point and not Sheer Force; that has been fixed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)