BDSP BDSP OU - CB Tar VoltTurn

The suspect tests have music associated with them, so I wanted to have music with my RMT (the cannons are when Tyranitar gets the boost on Assurance).

Hey everyone, I've played a ton of BDSP OU ever since Showdown removed the ladder for the BDSP lower tiers (rip UU), so I began building quite a bit for the tier, which also happened to bring me into the BDSP circuit. Initially, I built a team that was very frustrating, but with some pointers with the folks in the BDSP Metagames chat (rip), I built a team that I had a lot of fun playing with and felt it was very solid into many matchups as I played on ladder and in tour. With generation 8 ending I figured now was the best time to put out one of my favorite teams I've ever built.

THE TEAM:
:scizor: :rotom-wash: :gliscor: :tyranitar: :azelf: :weavile: (Pokepaste)

:choice-band:
Dirtbag (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Assurance

I had already built a team with a support Tyranitar on it, and while I liked that team, I wanted to explore what other options could be played with this mighty monster. I didn't like Choice Scarf because it would just get outsped by Alakazam and Weavile, and so I would have had to compensate with other team members. Ultimately, I would include Scizor on this team, but I liked Choice Band Tyranitar for its simple ability to just do big damage. With Stealth Rocks down, nothing short of Defensive Poliwrath switched in to this thing. When building it initially, the two STABs and EQ were obvious additions, but the fourth move slot was kinda up in the air. At first, I went with Rock Slide to double up on Rock STAB in case Stone Miss ran out of PP, but after hearing wind of the devastation Assurance could do, I tried it out and it did numbers:
Screenshot from 2022-11-25 03-21-27.png

Screenshot from 2022-11-06 22-35-48.png

Screenshot from 2022-11-25 03-26-49.png

Obviously it was a lot more limited against opposing offensive teams but at full HP, it would survive any one neutral hit. This meant it could trade one for one a lot of the time, or, at worst, sacking it to provide me free switches to check opposing Pokemon. Its Sand Stream was also useful because it negated opposing Leftovers and made it harder to hold off my offensive threats.

:leftovers:

Before the V (Scizor) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

I knew that Tyranitar gave me little in the way of checking opposing Alakazam, so I wanted Scizor on the team. This is just the standard bulky Scizor, with Bullet Punch, U-turn, and Roost. I opted for Defog as the last move slot as I figured that hazard control would be essential on this team in order to keep the offense blazing. This thing could hold off the Psychic types Alakazam and Latias, as well as Azelf once I'd confirmed that it didn't have a Fire move. Additionally, it checked Weavile, and provided slow U-turns to bring my attackers in safely.

:choice-scarf:
What's up doc? (Rotom-Wash) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Will-O-Wisp

I wanted a Rotom-Wash to complement Scizor; its Water-typing provided a complement to Scizor while also matching its pivoting ability with Volt Switch. I was also pretty high on Scarf Rotom-Wash when I built this team, since it was a fine revenge killer while also having Trick for bulkier teams. The only other notable things about this Rotom-Wash is that it doesn't run full Speed investment; this is so that this Rotom has the guaranteed underspeed against opposing Scarf Rotom-Wash. This means that if the opposing Rotom wants to Volt Switch out turn 1, I get to burn whatever comes in for free, as opposed to risking the speed tie and just losing momentum. If you want to follow down this rabbit hole of underspeeding opposing Scarf Rotom-Wash, then you should also have an understanding of other Scarfers or metagame staples you would want to still outspeed; 248 doesn't compromise on relative Speed in this way.

:toxic-orb:
Do this all day (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 144 SpD / 120 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Roost

I also wanted to have Stealth Rocks on this team, as well as a bulky Ground-type, and I just gravitated to Gliscor because it was probably the 2nd best Pokemon in the tier (behind Scizor). Obviously, Poison Heal is an incredible ability and Gliscor's U-turn also helped me keep momentum against the opponents' switches. I initially used the spread that the sample teams suggested, but I should have probably moved EV's to Defense to handle certain powerful attackers that my team is soft to. If there's any one team slot that could use the most workshopping, it's this one, since I sometimes feel that Gliscor just doesn't quite do enough while it's in and is annoying to bring in sometimes on this team.

:life-orb:
Slippy Pixie (Azelf) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psychic
- Flamethrower
- U-turn
- Future Sight

I opted for Azelf as I liked its combination of a Psychic typing (complementing Tyranitar's Dark STAB offensively), Fire coverage for Steels, and U-turn to continue to keep momentum for the team. Azelf is itself frailer than most of the other Pokemon on the team, but I felt it was fine since its coverage was really threatening for the opponent. At first, the last team slot went to Explosion because I knew Heatran would be a problem for this mon, and figured that Azelf could probably benefit from getting a little bit of value when it was at low HP, but after some discussion with others, I replaced it with Future Sight. The premise is you Future Sight on a switch to a wall, then U-turn to Tyranitar. The only Pokemon in the game that eats both CB Tar Crunch and Future Sight are opposing Tyranitar.

Screenshot from 2022-11-25 03-29-12.png

:never-melt-ice:
#BANSTEVE (Weavile) @ Never-Melt Ice
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Throat Chop
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
Finally, I wanted some speedy offense that wasn't restricted to Scarf Rotom, and went with Weavile. I also knew that I didn't want to just use two Choice Band Dark-types, since that could be played around too easily, so instead I used Swords Dance Weavile, and bluffed Choice Band with Never-Melt-Ice. It was very easy to play around the opponent, pretending that I was Banded Weavile, only to pop the second STAB move on them and KO their Pokemon. Swords Dance is also fine as a midgame attacker, and I also liked having a non-Scarf mon with a natural outspeed on Alakazam. Finally, doubling up on Dark STAB allows Tyranitar to get in early and overwhelm some of their shared checks (like Skarmory) and give easier pickings for it in the endgame.

THREATS
These mons are ones that my team is generally soft against, and have to be played around in order to be able to win:

These two are annoying to switch into, especially Infernape. Flare Blitz does a lot of damage to Gliscor, and switching into Rotom-Wash leaves it to get overwhelmed over the course of the game. In addition, Magma Storm Heatran does a ton of damage to anything that comes into it, especially because Tyranitar, though it gets the Special Defense boost because of Sandstorm, still takes a lot of damage from the follow up Earth Power. Upon reflection of this team, Garchomp seems like a great answer into both of these that also provides Stealth Rock, while also being threatening itself in that slot.

This thing is just nasty, as I don't have great long-term answers into it, especially if Gliscor doesn't get an opportunity to come in safely and get Stealth Rocks up. Once Stealth Rocks are up, though, Scizor is able to come in and take it on decently well. Additionally, depending on the STAB it locks itself into, Tyranitar and Rotom-Wash can help in checking Weavile.

I think Breloom will never be not annoying for a team to face unless you have a good Grass-typed check for it. Gliscor doesn't really touch it so my best switch is to absorb Spore with Scizor, then try and find opportunities throughout the rest in the battle to burn sleep turns. It is also very good at cleaning up this team with Technician Mach Punch cleaning up everything on this team. The best way to play around it is to try and have it burned early, or bring in Azelf or Weavile on it at high HP and Breloom not having a Substitute up. Typically this means absorbing sleep with Scizor, switching to Gliscor to see what it will do, then U-turning out to an appropriate response, be it Scizor or the faster Azelf or Weavile.

Garchomp can run either physical or special Dragon moves, and that makes Gliscor's endeavor in switching into it a lot harder. Additionally, Rough Skin punishes U-turns and its Ground typing punishes Volt Switch. However, I've become a lot more willing to Will-o-Wisp with Rotom, because a burned Garchomp is huge and the team can take advantage of it. Yache Berry Garchomp is a bit annoying, since Weavile Ice Shard won't KO and it'll just remove one of my most important Pokemon. Choice Scarf is similarly annoying since it cleans up this team really hard, especially if my priority is gone. Handling this Pokemon relies on it chipping itself out with Life Orb recoil and Stealth Rock, as well as U-turn bringing in Weavile (and sometimes Azelf) safely.

I'm really high on Tyranitar's place in the metagame currently, and while I don't think that Choice Band Tyranitar is itself a dominant threat (since it only shines against slow-paced stall teams), its variety of sets means that it can surprise you at any moment, and though it mostly sticks with its supporting Stealth Rock role, it can also become a threatening breaker that leaves your defensive core smashed to pieces.

There are two I : the one who loves it and want to click Assurance like a dumb idiot and the one who would look for any details !

As the first I, I am one of the numerous Ttar lovers. I just love the mon with or without pursuit so yes, give it some love please ! Also Future Sight Azelf is kinda heat.

That being said, what is bred in the bone will come out in the flesh and here the second I appears. This team as it is incredibly weak to one the best mon in all BDSP : Scizor. Where to begin I almost want to say. Though I won't make a very long speech because is it really needed after all in that context ?

Just to explain, your only descent answer to SD Sciz is Will-O-Wisp Rotom-W. If it is LO Sciz, Quick Attack at +2 deals 73.4 - 86.3% to no HP Rotom-W, Defog Sciz and Spdef Gliscor are perfect setup folders for it. Basically, it clicks buttons and you get probably 6-0s in the process. Defensive SD would more or less do the same once Rotom-W is gone and with little chip here and there. Even Defog with minus speed nature Sciz should be a bother to get the momentum you desperately need with Ttar.

I don't feel to be picky nor to pinpoint on EVs, sets or what you could change in the current context of BDSP. The team looks hard to play especially the Azelf set but I love it.

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
probably gonna drop the lamest message in history because clicking assurance is just stupid funny but i think capitalizing fsight with band weavile is easy that with band ttar and if you wanna keep ttar regardless you could make it scarf/chople so you're a LITTLE bit more reasonably covered against Scizor (fire move) and non-yache chomper

Tbh as much as I love the team I'm basically seeing that you can keep everyone except ttar and it would still work as a team, if anything its ttar that i would reconsider a bit but it's also the star of the team so I ain't complaining here

(also as far as my knowledge goes some scarftoms are made just fast enough to outspeed Weavile, anyway)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)