Battle Stadium Series 13 Analysis Contribution Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is it: the finale of gen 8! Since this season doesn't last particularly long, we won't be doing write ups as you know them.

However, we can still do something! We will still be uploading sets, just not through the traditional analysis means!

What we'll be doing is simple: uploading sample sets that explain the weird stuff and choices to make for a Pokemon.

The path to contributing is simple here: scan over the dex, and suggest changes in this thread. If you suggest a good change, we'll implement it, and note it in this thread at minimum!

Here is the format page for Series 13, which links to all the dex pages we currently have. If you feel like a Pokemon deserves sample sets but isn't on this page, feel free to bring it up in this thread as well!

Last edited:

DerpySuX

its hard to breathe but thats alright
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Minor grammar mistake in NDM set
AC43B476-F300-4B71-84ED-FABD87731204.jpeg

should be “Rocky Helmet lets…”

Groudon
- On the support set, alternate EV spread of 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 SpD with Careful or Sassy nature lives modest LO Max Darkness from Yveltal guaranteed.

- Lava Plume could be a slash in for Rock Tomb for the burn utility.

Kyogre
- On the AV set, alternate EV spread of 20 HP / 252 SpA / 236 Spe with a Modest nature outspeeds base 75s (NDM and Vish are the main benchmarks)

Dialga
- Metal Burst could be a potential slash in on the focus sash set.

DerpySuX

its hard to breathe but thats alright
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Calyrex-Shadow
- Greil and I were throwing around thoughts about s13 and he brought up Hyper Beam on Nasty Plot variants of Calyrex being quite viable to help it handle Yveltal. I’ve seen this a fair bit myself too, and was surprised when I saw it wasn’t slashed in as a potential fourth move.

Ho-Oh
The Choice Scarf set currently posted lists several setup-y status moves (Light Screen, Reflect, Thunder Wave) as alternative move options to damaging attacks. This seems incorrect given that it's a Choice Scarf set.

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Minor grammar mistake in NDM set
View attachment 453330
should be “Rocky Helmet lets…”

Groudon
- On the support set, alternate EV spread of 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 SpD with Careful or Sassy nature lives modest LO Max Darkness from Yveltal guaranteed.

- Lava Plume could be a slash in for Rock Tomb for the burn utility.

Kyogre
- On the AV set, alternate EV spread of 20 HP / 252 SpA / 236 Spe with a Modest nature outspeeds base 75s (NDM and Vish are the main benchmarks)

Dialga
- Metal Burst could be a potential slash in on the focus sash set.
-So for Groudon, I don't think we really came on a consensus about Lava Plume, but I think the SpD spread sounds fine. I'll do some damage calcs tonight and put it in probably!

-For AV Kyogre, me and kiby talked about it, and figured max Speed is better. Not only is Dracovish really rare now, but I believe max speed Modest outspeeds Jolly NDM by 1 point, so might as well dump the extra EVs into Speed anyways. I think max speed is worth bringing up regardlesss though!

-Metal Burst is uncommon, but I don't mind mentioning it as a slash in.

Calyrex-Shadow
- Greil and I were throwing around thoughts about s13 and he brought up Hyper Beam on Nasty Plot variants of Calyrex being quite viable to help it handle Yveltal. I’ve seen this a fair bit myself too, and was surprised when I saw it wasn’t slashed in as a potential fourth move.
Good point about Hyper Beam, that def fell through the cracks. I'll put it in tonight! It's certainly cool on Sash for Dynamax trades, preventing Yveltal from spamming Max Airstream boosts can be a life saver!

Ho-Oh
The Choice Scarf set currently posted lists several setup-y status moves (Light Screen, Reflect, Thunder Wave) as alternative move options to damaging attacks. This seems incorrect given that it's a Choice Scarf set.
Normally I'd agree with this, but Ho-Oh often only uses Sacred Fire, Brave Bird, and Earthquake. The last slot is usually filler that's not used a lot. If you'd like, we could make a mention of this.

Also all that being said, something that I forgot until now: we might want to slash Mystical Fire in on AV / Scarf Ho-Oh. It makes Ho-Oh more vulnerable to Quagsire, but the SpA drop can work as a filler sort of "I'll sack Ho-Oh and set this up" sort of deal, and it's something I've seen on Scarf Ho-Oh before in particular.

Theorymon

So here's the stuff implemented as of today!

- Calyrex-S's NP set now has Hyper Beam slashed in.

- Dialga has Metal Burst slashed in its Twave set.

- AV Kyogre has a max speed option now

- Ho-Oh's Scarf set final slash ins are now: Mystical Fire / Giga Drain / Thunder Wave. Mystical Fire has also been slashed into its AV set.

I've mostly run Ho-oh w/ 252 HP/252 Def/ 4+SpD EVs(Careful.) It used to be AV, and that takes special hits like nobody's business. Even SpD #, and Def takes Zacian Adamant Wild Charge(you don't need quite so much but yeah.) It's not great to lose the offense, but I think Careful is an option on AV, at least.

Going off pikalytics(they're finally up to date for a while right?) Careful sees some use in vgc.

Last edited:
Eternatus spreads can be changed for very little optimization.

For example:
https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/pokemon/eternatus/bss-series-13/

Eternatus @ Black Sludge
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 244 HP / 204 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD / 52 Spe
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
- Dynamax Cannon

52 evs in speed = 56 evs so is better to put 4 evs in stak. The speed is for adamant cinderace but I think that is not worth outspeeding an uncommon threat (was popular in series 12 but not in series 13). Maybe enough for outspeed timid palkia (168 speed with 20 speed evs) but 28 speed evs outspeeds the rare lando-I. Garchomp is non-existent in series 13 but if is important to outpace you can run 36 evs. Again 44 evs can be used for outspeed Nihilego but this thing is very rare.

Set 2:

Eternatus @ Power Herb
Level: 50
EVs: 76 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 172 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dynamax Cannon
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave
- Meteor Beam

Same history , 176 evs in speed = 172....so I put 4 evs in Def (note that this is is bad for download pory2 but you can put 12 evs in sdef and 244 in satk.. not sure if matter for anything).

Set 3: see set 2.

EDIT: https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/pokemon/landorus-therian/bss-series-13/

On set 1 (defensive) , 30 iv speed does nothing because you are playing level 50 and is the same that iv 31 , should be 29 if you like to use slow u-turn against other defensive lando-t....well realistically should be 27 because some defensive groudons don't invest in speed and seems interesting to U-turn and being slower.

Last edited:

Theorymon

Eternatus spreads can be changed for very little optimization.

For example:
https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/pokemon/eternatus/bss-series-13/

Eternatus @ Black Sludge
EVs: 244 HP / 204 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD / 52 Spe
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
- Dynamax Cannon

52 evs in speed = 56 evs so is better to put 4 evs in stak. The speed is for adamant cinderace but I think that is not worth outspeeding an uncommon threat (was popular in series 12 but not in series 13). Maybe enough for outspeed timid palkia (168 speed with 20 speed evs) but 28 speed evs outspeeds the rare lando-I. Garchomp is non-existent in series 13 but if is important to outpace you can run 36 evs. Again 44 evs can be used for outspeed Nihilego but this thing is very rare.

Set 2:

Eternatus @ Power Herb
Level: 50
EVs: 76 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 172 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dynamax Cannon
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave
- Meteor Beam

Same history , 176 evs in speed = 172....so I put 4 evs in Def (note that this is is bad for download pory2 but you can put 12 evs in sdef and 244 in satk.. not sure if matter for anything).

Set 3: see set 2.

EDIT: https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/pokemon/landorus-therian/bss-series-13/

On set 1 (defensive) , 30 iv speed does nothing because you are playing level 50 and is the same that iv 31 , should be 29 if you like to use slow u-turn against other defensive lando-t....well realistically should be 27 because some defensive groudons don't invest in speed and seems interesting to U-turn and being slower.
Good points all around! The Eternatus EV spreads have been fixed, with the 36 Speed EVs one being the one for defensive (Garchomp may be uncommon, but it SUCKS to underspeed that thing in particular), and while I did put in the 4 Defense for the other ones, I made a note saying that you can get rid of it if the rare Porygon2 is an issue.

I also fixed the Landorus-T thing, mentioning both the 29 and 27 Speed IV stuff. Thanks for pointing this stuff out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)