Battle Stadium General Questions Thread

I got two random disconnection from the IC on the first day. Then my connection stabilized and I won everything else.
A dude told me to retire because if I get one more disconnect, I'm banned. Is that true?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I got two random disconnection from the IC on the first day. Then my connection stabilized and I won everything else.
A dude told me to retire because if I get one more disconnect, I'm banned. Is that true?
No, 3 would not be enough for a "soft ban" let alone an actual one. I've had plenty more than that in my time playing.

I'm new here, so sorry if this is a dumb question:

Is there a point to buildimg teams for Smogon formats in the actual game? Or should I stick to Pokemon Showdown for Smogon formats and only worry about building and training teams in the actual game for Cartridge formats?

I'm new here, so sorry if this is a dumb question:

Is there a point to buildimg teams for Smogon formats in the actual game? Or should I stick to Pokemon Showdown for Smogon formats and only worry about building and training teams in the actual game for Cartridge formats?
There are people who do in fact play Smogon formats on cartridge, you can find them on the official Discord

Hello everyone,

I'm training a Gliscor for BSS and I'm deciding what EV spread to give it. I've read some of the Smogon guides to "magic numbers" but I just want to be sure I understand how the mechanic works for Lv 50, especially since most of the sets I see are for lv 100 format.

Is it preferable to give Gliscor an HP number at level 50 that's divisible by 8 so it will maximize Poison Heal recovery (the highest possible seems to be 176 @ 204 EVs)? Or is it better to give it 212 EVs (177 HP) so it's a number divisible by 16 + 1? Or is this divisible by 8 business not important enough to knock off 6 HP at level 50, and I should just max the HP @ 182?

Thanks for your help.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello everyone,

I'm training a Gliscor for BSS and I'm deciding what EV spread to give it. I've read some of the Smogon guides to "magic numbers" but I just want to be sure I understand how the mechanic works for Lv 50, especially since most of the sets I see are for lv 100 format.

Is it preferable to give Gliscor an HP number at level 50 that's divisible by 8 so it will maximize Poison Heal recovery (the highest possible seems to be 176 @ 204 EVs)? Or is it better to give it 212 EVs (177 HP) so it's a number divisible by 16 + 1? Or is this divisible by 8 business not important enough to knock off 6 HP at level 50, and I should just max the HP @ 182?

Thanks for your help.
8n+1 is the most common value for Gliscor (where n represents the amount of hp you recover each turn). This means Gliscor most commonly run 212 HP EVs which gives 177 hp total, making the formula 8x22+1. There are cases where 8n+2 and 8n+3 are used as well, but I honestly don't know the exact uses. The reason you don't want to use a flat 8n HP number like 176 is that it allows you to use Substitute an extra time from full health, assuming your opponent repeatly breaks the Sub.

Let's say you're fighting a paralysed opponent and you send out your full health Gliscor, you want to get a Substitute up without it being broken so you can kill the foe and be protected from the next pokemon that gets sent out, but can't risk using Protect and allowing your opponent to get a free switch. Assuming Gliscor is already poisoned so Toxic Heal is active, with an 8n+1 HP number (177) you can make 7 Substitutes, going down to 1 HP on the last one. If you had an 8n number like 176 you could only make 6, being stuck on 44 HP after the last one (the amount of HP a Substitute needs with 176 total HP. This gives an extra chance for a full paralysis, maximising your chances of getting out with an intact Sub.

That was just one application of 8n+1 numbers off the top of my head, there are many others, such as optimising Stealth Rock recoil. Gliscor is also one of the only Pokemon to use 8n+1 and not 16n+1 due to Toxic Heal healing 1/8th total HP compared to Leftovers' 1/16th total. A common Pokemon in Battle Spot that uses 16n+1 is Glalie for Leftovers recovery while spamming Substitute. Some Pokemon even use 16n-1 such as Porygon2 because it reduces the amount of damage they take from risidual damage from Stealth Rock and Toxic, and some Life Orb users sometimes even use 10n-1 to minimise the recoil from the item.

tl;dr give Gliscor 212, 220 or 228 HP EVs...

8n+1 is the most common value for Gliscor (where n represents the amount of hp you recover each turn). This means Gliscor most commonly run 212 HP EVs which gives 177 hp total, making the formula 8x22+1. There are cases where 8n+2 and 8n+3 are used as well, but I honestly don't know the exact uses. The reason you don't want to use a flat 8n HP number like 176 is that it allows you to use Substitute an extra time from full health, assuming your opponent repeatly breaks the Sub.

Let's say you're fighting a paralysed opponent and you send out your full health Gliscor, you want to get a Substitute up without it being broken so you can kill the foe and be protected from the next pokemon that gets sent out, but can't risk using Protect and allowing your opponent to get a free switch. Assuming Gliscor is already poisoned so Toxic Heal is active, with an 8n+1 HP number (177) you can make 7 Substitutes, going down to 1 HP on the last one. If you had an 8n number like 176 you could only make 6, being stuck on 44 HP after the last one (the amount of HP a Substitute needs with 176 total HP. This gives an extra chance for a full paralysis, maximising your chances of getting out with an intact Sub.

That was just one application of 8n+1 numbers off the top of my head, there are many others, such as optimising Stealth Rock recoil. Gliscor is also one of the only Pokemon to use 8n+1 and not 16n+1 due to Toxic Heal healing 1/8th total HP compared to Leftovers' 1/16th total. A common Pokemon in Battle Spot that uses 16n+1 is Glalie for Leftovers recovery while spamming Substitute. Some Pokemon even use 16n-1 such as Porygon2 because it reduces the amount of damage they take from risidual damage from Stealth Rock and Toxic, and some Life Orb users sometimes even use 10n-1 to minimise the recoil from the item.

tl;dr give Gliscor 212, 220 or 228 HP EVs...
Awesome, thank you for the detailed response!

What are the differences between Battle Spot Doubles and VGC 18? I say this because the Doubles VR is horribly outdated, and VGC 18 from what I've heard is pretty close to Battle Spot rules.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
What are the differences between Battle Spot Doubles and VGC 18? I say this because the Doubles VR is horribly outdated, and VGC 18 from what I've heard is pretty close to Battle Spot rules.
Main difference is that Gen6-native Pokemon are allowed in BSD. In particular this allows the use of Gen-6 exclusive TM Moves, and Gen 6 Event-Exclusive Pokemon. The most meta-relevant changes include Power-Up Punch Kangaskhan, Static Zapdos, and Incinerate on just about everything - a spread Fire-type move that removes berries from both targets and punishes the common defensive style of play that takes advantage of the Gen-7 improved 50% berries.

For Future Reference, I tried to make an exhaustive list of ruleset differences. Any player who knows about Doubles, or Event Pokemon and in-game a lot, feel free to correct me. I bolded ones that might have even the slightest bit of actual Competitive Viability of certain Pokemon.

List of TM moves that do not return to USUM:
Hone Claws
Dig
Incinerate
Retaliate
Flash
Struggle Bug
Secret Power
Power-Up Punch

Pokemon that learned these moves through TM in Gen 6 are allowed to use them, but cannot in VGC 18 unless they can learn them through alternate means (level-up / egg move / tutor / event / etc.)

List of Gen-6 Native Event:

These are completely unobtainable as an Alola Native.

Hidden Ability Articuno / Zapdos / Moltres
Hidden Ability Regirock / Regice / Registeel
Endeavor on Pikachu / Raichu (Compatible with egg moves Fake Out, Encore, and Volt Tackle)
Sludge Wave on Gengar
Sludge Bomb
on Zoroark
(Z-)Happy Hour on Meowth / Magikarp / Greninja / Inkay / Delibird and their evolutions
(Z-)Hold Hands on Charizard and Vivillon
(Z-)Celebrate on Kanto Starters
Barrier on Dragonite
Hold Back (lol)

Last edited:
Quick question, not sure if there is a better spot to ask...what are good counters to the Smeargle/Xerneas lead? This is for VGC Moon series. For the record I'm running Kyogre/Lunala/Koko/Incinerorar/Amoongus/Kartana and none of these Pokemon seem to have a good answer.

Main difference is that Gen6-native Pokemon are allowed in BSD. In particular this allows the use of Gen-6 exclusive TM Moves, and Gen 6 Event-Exclusive Pokemon. The most meta-relevant changes include Power-Up Punch Kangaskhan, Static Zapdos, and Incinerate on just about everything - a spread Fire-type move that removes berries from both targets and punishes the common defensive style of play that takes advantage of the Gen-7 improved 50% berries.

For Future Reference, I tried to make an exhaustive list of ruleset differences. Any player who knows about Doubles, or Event Pokemon and in-game a lot, feel free to correct me. I bolded ones that might have even the slightest bit of actual Competitive Viability of certain Pokemon.

List of TM moves that do not return to USUM:
Hone Claws
Dig
Incinerate
Retaliate
Flash
Struggle Bug
Secret Power
Power-Up Punch

Pokemon that learned these moves through TM in Gen 6 are allowed to use them, but cannot in VGC 18 unless they can learn them through alternate means (level-up / egg move / tutor / event / etc.)

List of Gen-6 Native Event:

These are completely unobtainable as an Alola Native.

Hidden Ability Articuno / Zapdos / Moltres
Hidden Ability Regirock / Regice / Registeel
Sludge Bomb on Zoroark
Sludge Wave on Gengar
(Z-)Happy Hour
on Meowth / Magikarp / Greninja / Inkay / Delibird and their evolutions
(Z-)Hold Hands on Charizard and Vivillon
(Z-)Celebrate on Kanto Starters
Barrier on Dragonite
Hold Back (lol)
In your list, you forgot Endeavor Pikachu/Raichu. It is quite good in BSD. It came with Fake Out, Encore and Volt Tackle.

Has it been specified how many seasons of battle spot are left? Based on the 1.5 - 2 month lengths, I would assume 2 more seasons with the final month dedicated to Sword / Shield prep on their end. Any clarification would be appreciated.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Has it been specified how many seasons of battle spot are left? Based on the 1.5 - 2 month lengths, I would assume 2 more seasons with the final month dedicated to Sword / Shield prep on their end. Any clarification would be appreciated.
ORAS ran up until season 17, which looks as though the timing will be similar this gen. After that "rating battles" still existed but weren't updated on the PGL afaik

Hi all, I'm piloting a BSS team i read about in the Sample Teams thread, and looking for some advice on how to use it effectively. There are some threats I'm really struggling with, and i'm looking for some advice on how to up my game.

I held off on just throwing an RMT thread on the site, as I'm pretty sure this would count as plagarism, whether I've made minor changes to it or not.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Hi all, I'm piloting a BSS team i read about in the Sample Teams thread, and looking for some advice on how to use it effectively. There are some threats I'm really struggling with, and i'm looking for some advice on how to up my game.

I held off on just throwing an RMT thread on the site, as I'm pretty sure this would count as plagarism, whether I've made minor changes to it or not.

Any thoughts?
you can ask in the sample teams thread itself. the bss-specific simple questions thread might also work

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host

Any thoughts?
Also feel free to pm me with the team name and I can give you some hints and help you pilot it when I get on showdown

I see a lot of Smogon guides that look something like this,

[redacted] @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Close Combat
- Bounce
- Psychic Fangs

and that's all it shows, when looking at something like this, how do I know what IV's to breed for? I'm positive the IVs matter, but i'm not quite sure which ones to max and what to leave at 0 while looking at guides such as the one above.

Last edited by a moderator:

[redacted] @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Close Combat
- Bounce
- Psychic Fangs

and that's all it shows, when looking at something like this, how do I know what IV's to breed for? I'm positive the IVs matter, but i'm not quite sure which ones to max and what to leave at 0 while looking at guides such as the one above.
We generally leave all IVs at 31, aka max out the IVs. If you need the IVs to be different, the guide itself would tell you.
Have a nice day, and welcome to Smogon!

Last edited by a moderator:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay

Barraskewda @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Close Combat
- Bounce
- Psychic Fangs

If IVs are not mentioned then assume 31. Special attackers usually want a low attack IV so that damage from Foul Play and confusion recoil is minimised, but not of the upmost importance. Physical attackers don’t care about their special attack IVs.

We also have a forum for Gen 8 Battle Stadium. Barraskewda is not relevant here

This is slightly speculative, but perhaps I've missed something. Do you think we can expect G-Max forms to be banned for most/all of the SwSh Ranked seasons? Want to start preparing some competitive pokemon and want to know what's the best time investment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)