Battle Spot Doubles Metagame Discussion Thread

With the VGC Metagame changing to a new ruleset, Battle Spot Doubles no longer shares the same ruleset and is now a metagame in and of itself.

Both X/Y and ORAS have differing Metas thanks to a different list of available Megas; I personally don't have any experience X/Y wise on doubles, but I don't see why we can't discuss both :P
Trends, popular teams, neat tricks you've seen online, and things like that should all be fair game here, let's just keep the topic train rolling. ;)

Resources:

Viability Rankings
Sample Teams
Good Cores
Archetypes: Part 1 | Part 2
Battle Spot Usage Stats and Info
Speed Tiers

Last edited:
Guys I almost choked on the dust.
Interesting team I saw, ran by a 1701 JP player:

Mega Khan / Toxic Stall Heatran / Bulky Arcanine / Icy Wind Tornadus-T / Clefairy / Clefable.

Didn't bring Clefable or Clefairy, boy oh boy did he hate my Safeguard Klefki / the mass paralysis that ensued, and Khan was running Crunch over Sucker Punch; all in all, almost every set had something unorthodox, his type chart is redundant as all fuck, and because I'm retarded and did not bring Rotom-W, he won by simply eliminating my Garchomp and stalling out Klefki / +2/+4 CM Cress / +1 everything Char-Y (Ancientpower boost). No, I really have no idea why I brought Char-Y at all. Guess I expected Khan + Clefairy. Still, he was 80 points higher and Japanese, so I guess I'm glad to say "I probably would of won, if I weren't an idiot" and hopefully didn't lose too many points?

Torn-T itself you rarely see in BSD, and the guy was running it fast (it outsped max Speed Garchomp) and bulky, with zero rain. Heat Wave and Icy Wind was all I saw before it was Ancientpower'd to death.

Is there any demand at all for speed tiers before I bother with it?

edit: yes, this does mean that team charizard finally lost it's "undefeated" status. I am sad.

I've been thinking with NOVED... a lot of Triples teams are still moderately effective in Dubs, possibly? I'm laddering on PS with Perish Trap and winning a lot!

I've been thinking with NOVED... a lot of Triples teams are still moderately effective in Dubs, possibly? I'm laddering on PS with Perish Trap and winning a lot!
Perish Song is an absolute blight on the metagame. 100% works, can vouch. I have never won a single match in all of 2014, 2015, AND 2016 combined in which my foe used Perish Song. Even without Shadow tag. I auto-lose to it. I probably have a few pages on PerishTrap teams with loose notes from Battle Spot. I had a great epiphany on 'countering' it though.
Team Charizard from last season went 10-0 the first few days of season 15. I am currently 10-12. Curse is back, hope is lost. Haven't noticed any solid trends recently, I'm just buckling to 3+ crits and double heat wave misses every match.

Oh, guys, is there any intrest in a more user-freindly, doubles-specialized speed tiers page? The one in my sig works very well for me, but I do understand it's hard to really grasp for most other people. I left a placeholder in the OP months ago but never actually got around to doing it, lol.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Using a triples team in doubles seems like using a 6v6 team in Battle Spot Singles to me. The metagames are similar enough that you can still win and some sets remain the same but there's enough differences that it won't do incredibly well. I think Perish Trap is one of the strategies that is more easily transferred though.

Ahh OK. Well, in the mean time, I'll keep on playing with Perish Trap in Doubles and see how it goes. I really -really- want to hurry up and build it ingame, but its such a boring process x-X.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)