Level: 50
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Strength Sap
- Destiny Bond

My main mon that I like. Good vs. a lot of physical attackers. Very notably Rillabloom, which is helpless even w/ Knock Off. Unburden has been a huge help, w/ just 12 EVs and a +Spe nature I outspeed up to +1 Urshifu, and it's not hard to activate w/ Sitrus. Zapdos is a huge pain though, since it probably Dynamaxes to avoid Destiny Bond. More than once in my few games this series it has been good vs. TTar despite weakness to both its STABs.

1620232838440.png

Tapu Koko @ Assault Vest
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 84 SpD / 172 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot
- Dazzling Gleam

SpD EVs for an even number, and to give p2 wrong Download. I'm not sure about AV even after all this time, but it has been good for Zapdos sometimes. Outspeeds just up to Cinderace but I think that's the main thing.

1620233020370.png

Lapras-Gmax @ Light Clay
Ability: Water Absorb
Gigantamax: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Thunder
- Sheer Cold
- Hydro Pump

Kind of just filler, an Ice type that seems ok from what I actually have. Ideally would be Glastrier but mine needs levels to max IVs...Unsure about EVs since Lapras has much higher HP than defenses so it gets less out of HP investment vs. defensive investment, at least I think. Usual moves and Hydro Pump not Sparkling Aria cause I forgot to breed for the egg move. I guess you can still get it by forgetting a move and putting it in daycare, but you need another Lapras w/ Aria and if I had that I could just use it. The Rillabloom weakness for this and Fini is covered at least.

1620233213848.png

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Reflect
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

This is here for Landorus-T, though I still find I'm weak to it-Scald isn't reliable. Reflect is leftover from when it fit my team better, but I'm not sure what else to run even if it hasn't been helpful very often. I just like physically defensive and it's what I have already. Idk what is most common but Fini used to always be phys. def.

1620232577764.png

Cinderace-Gmax @ Focus Sash
Ability: Libero
Gigantamax: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- High Jump Kick
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch

Gunk Shot to beat Fini, which walls Drifblim completely-I can't even burn it to double Hex's low dmg on it. I like sash better than LO since Cinderace is frail and it then lives a hit from scarf Fini which happened recently. I used to have Blacephalon but it competes for sash and I don't want two fire types anyways.

1620233562296.png

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 116 HP / 100 Atk / 4 Def / 76 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fly
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

I used this a lot before series 8 so it makes sense that I use it again w/ legends gone. The EVs mainly live Specs Fini Ice Beam Dynamaxed and Nihilego Meteor Beam not Dynamaxed most of the time(or like 50%.) It has a chance vs. Dracovish as Dynamax too. It's been fast enough that I've seen, although more power would be nice. I really like WP for Fini mainly, enough that maybe my Cinderace could run Bounce>Gunk Shot. Stone Edge for Zapdos, you for sure can't have enough stuff for Zapdos. I rarely set up Swords Dance, but at the same time I'm afraid of opponent's doing so, so it seems ok to run.

I haven't played much on cart or much on PS recently, and on PS had been trying other mons than Lapras that didn't work. So far bad on cart, 11-15. I lost to a Suicune, Landog, Toxtricity, Darm-g, Glastrier, and SCREENS last season, among others. I have difficulty w/ people setting up rocks(Drifblim and Cinderace, also Landorus can't stop Hippo either,) setting up Swords Dance(outperforms Strength Sap,) Landorus-T, and Zapdos. I do not like screens or Celesteela, but I do very good vs. Rillabloom and Fini. In theory I also beat Urshifus very well, Cinderace, Landorus-T, Fini, and Koko beat SS and additionally to those Drifblim is good vs. RS, despite crits ignoring atk drops, since they do get affected by burn. I used to use a Dark type after getting swept by mono-psychic coverage Gothitelle, and I went back to that w/ Bisharp>Lapras, so far meh, but last season was ok(18-12.) I'm thinking I'm losing more to misplays(certainly a big part of it,) than the team, time will tell. If it continues I will go w/ cant say's idea of sub Mimikyu to waste Dynamax turns(ugh, Togekiss,) and if not that I'll try the below changes which are more numerous. One issue I'm finding is Tapu Koko only takes little from Zapdos, w/o killing it. Thinking to switch in Rhyperior to bait Rilla and Kartana for Drifblim.

Last edited:
I used to run lum berry on Landorous to handle hippo. You can easily set up two swords dance as it yawns you and then sweep the rest of the team under dynamax. (you will need to add some more atk evs to 1hko hippo when dynamaxed. Max airstream will ko max hp/def hippo with 148 att evs at +4 atk). Weakness policy is not really required IMO since you can boost yourself with swords dance.

I personally prefer to use other ground mons because most teams are running ice coverage for Lando\Dragonite\Garchomp.

You could try bulky assault vest Excadrill in landorous' place:
Excadrill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mold Breaker \ Sand Rush
EVs: 172 HP / 12 Atk / 44 Def / 212 SpD / 68 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Blast \ Rock Tomb
- Horn Drill \ Brick Break (horn drill to beat walls, brick break to boost atk while dynamaxed and can also clear screens)

Fini and Blim work well with Drill. Fini can take fire and fighting attacks, Blim covers for ground attacks and can burn the ground mon.

You can also try Porygon2 for ice coverage? Lures in fighting mons for you Drifblim\Koko\Fini as well. This does lose to eerie impulse Zapdos though, but you have Excadrill for that because it won't be running Heat Wave. The key it sussing out the Zapdos set in the early game to figure out the best mon to check it. Life orb generally means it most likely has heat wave so be cautious with your Drill.

https://pokepast.es/4a9c79cde5ae199c

I did some testing with the above team. I tried to keep Drifblim as it seemed to be the mon you were building around. Drifblim was work to play with and often deadweight when it came out. The main difficulty I had was it loses its speed boost when you switch it out after unburden activates, will-o-wisp conflicted with Fini's misty terrain (and fini was one of the best win cons for the team) and dynamax ignores destiny bond.

The changes I made to your team:
- Changed Tapu Koko with analytic Magnezone. Analytic lets you punish switch ins, volt switch gives you a safe slow pivot out into another mon. The set needed body press to deal with opposing porygon2's. (you boost your defence with max steelspike. This meant Cinderance could sit out of bad match ups). I know you lose grass knot for water/grounds, but the ones I played were played around with the trick Fini set (see below for explanation)
- Swapped Lapras out with Porygon2 for ice coverage \ ghost resist. Drifblim lures in ghost mons into a matchup and Porygon2 is a great switch into ghost moves. I went more offensive with Porygon and also ran analytic to boost damage when going second. Foul Play is here to hit Mimikyu hard, who will most likely try set up on you with swords dance.
- Swapped Lando for Excadrill (used Figy Berry as AV was used on Magnezone). Horn Drill was handy in testing to get out of some bad match ups. (boost your defences and yolo horn drill in losing positions).
- Changed Fini to trick choice scarf. The team needed a way to shut down walls, trick is a handy way to do that. Also gave Fini Ice Beam for ice coverage. Misty Terrain/Trick is also handy for shutting down water/ground mons using yawn/recover.
- Swapped gunk shot for iron head. I prefer Iron Head for fairies, the flinch can give you an out too. With Magnezone you have a way to pressure Fini so it doesn't set up against you.

I got to 1400 on the showdown ladder with the team above. It wasn't easy though and I really couldn't get Drifblim to work. But the rest of the seem to fair ok.

Ah, thank you. No one responded to my last several RMTs so this was a nice surprise. I haven't been playing Pokemon for many days now, I got a new game for Switch so been doing that. In theory I'll go back to this but maybe not for a while.

Since I have no losses, albeit very few games, I'll hold off on changes till that changes...though I'll keep them in mind. Excadrill is an interesting idea, I did train one up but before realizing Mold Breaker was the HA. P2 is an interesting idea, I've never run offensive and would need an ability patch for HA.

Most of all thank you for keeping Drifblim in your tests. Losing the Spe boost on a switch, no Dynamax D-Bond, and to a somewhat lesser extent I think in my experience no Wisp in Misty suck but it's been great for Rilla and Kartana, and anything like them. Hopefully your changes would cover zapdos adequately since that's ofc the biggest deterrent to Drif in this meta.

Also on AV Magnezone is max/max best do you think? AV mons really make me wonder on EVs because their 1.5x SpD stat is usually their highest base stat after the boost, so I often think they should be +SpD and maybe EVs too. Like I briefly ran Calm AV Rotom-H, even though it had SpA EVs not SpD.

Is Modest on Fini ok cause it's SPA is a tiny bit higher of a base stat? I get 252 Spe EVs but the nature being +Spe too seems like a lot. And what are the EVs for on Excadrill? Cause I know it isn't that bulky even w/ high HP, does lowering atk and Spe for that make sense?

Last edited:
I also tried memeing with Flare Boost Calm Mind Flame Orb Drifblim. Sucks it only gets Gust as a special flying attack but was funny to sweep unexpecting teams. Seemed to work better for me than defensive Blim, but that could be that it suited my playstyle better.

You can use one of P2's other abilities if you don't have the resources for a hidden ability. All its abilities are useable.

Excadrill evs - With AV, Max Flare is 3 KO with LO offensive Zapdos when you dynamax. Your goal is to waste their dynamax and avoid air stream boosts (you can use Max Strike to lower its speed) so you can revenge kill it with Fini's Ice Beam. Drill still hits hard without any attack boosts. It is more defensive to survive hits so you can spam Horn Drill when you have no other option in the end game. I use this Drill as a defensive pivot into Electric attacks (mainly Volt Switch) so I like it to be bulkier.

Magnezone - Feel free to experiment with the EVs. The analysis has max hp / max spa: https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/pokemon/magnezone/battle-stadium-singles/. Dynamax doubles your HP, so it is helpful to have HP investment if you dynamax Zone.

Fini - running modest means you don't outspeed Dragapult or Scarf Dracovish. Pult is walled by P2 at least. Even though you resist Fishious Rend, it is a 3 KO if Vish goes first (it is so busted!). So be mindful you have limited switch ins (people generally switch Vish out if you switch Fini in). Would recommend keeping it Timid for this reason.

I know resetting EVs / Natures can be a pain. Our friend Anubis is giving away certain VGC pokemons: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ittos-vgc-mons-useful-items-giveaway.3660588/
Fini is on the list. I have two Fini's depending on what the team requires. I have a defensive one and an offensive one. So you can build a new one and test it on cart and see which one you prefer.

I also tried memeing with Flare Boost Calm Mind Flame Orb Drifblim. Sucks it only gets Gust as a special flying attack but was funny to sweep unexpecting teams. Seemed to work better for me than defensive Blim, but that could be that it suited my playstyle better.

You can use one of P2's other abilities if you don't have the resources for a hidden ability. All its abilities are useable.

Excadrill evs - With AV, Max Flare is 3 KO with LO offensive Zapdos when you dynamax. Your goal is to waste their dynamax and avoid air stream boosts (you can use Max Strike to lower its speed) so you can revenge kill it with Fini's Ice Beam. Drill still hits hard without any attack boosts. It is more defensive to survive hits so you can spam Horn Drill when you have no other option in the end game. I use this Drill as a defensive pivot into Electric attacks (mainly Volt Switch) so I like it to be bulkier.

Magnezone - Feel free to experiment with the EVs. The analysis has max hp / max spa: https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/pokemon/magnezone/battle-stadium-singles/. Dynamax doubles your HP, so it is helpful to have HP investment if you dynamax Zone.

Fini - running modest means you don't outspeed Dragapult or Scarf Dracovish. Pult is walled by P2 at least. Even though you resist Fishious Rend, it is a 3 KO if Vish goes first (it is so busted!). So be mindful you have limited switch ins (people generally switch Vish out if you switch Fini in). Would recommend keeping it Timid for this reason.

I know resetting EVs / Natures can be a pain. Our friend Anubis is giving away certain VGC pokemons: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ittos-vgc-mons-useful-items-giveaway.3660588/
Fini is on the list. I have two Fini's depending on what the team requires. I have a defensive one and an offensive one. So you can build a new one and test it on cart and see which one you prefer.
What about Cresselia? Those are really mean to my current team, and still look dangerous after changes.

Cresselia is generally running two sets:
1. Calm mind + stored power. You trick Fini's scarf onto it, just don't reveal Fini is scarfed in the early game. Remember it can dynamax after it is boosted, but that is an advantage for you as you just stall out the dynamax and then it is completely dead weight.
2. Trick room + lunar dance. Trick room turns are limited. The opponent has to get their sweeper in safely with a switch or lunar dance. Then they only have three turns to sweep you. You can stall out two turns of trick room with dynamax max guard so they only can hit you with one move. A dynamaxed mon should survive a max move move from their sweeper.

Ok. I took your advice on Fini and Lapras is now Bisharp which scares and maybe beats Cress, and breaks screens. Otherwise still going w/ current team until I lose more then I'd switch to your recommendations.

Also, you may be using Drfblim wrong. It can do more than you'd think, I won a game even wasting t1 tricking their scarfed mon(thought it'd switch.) I switched in Drifblim on the 2nd Max Knuckle, Dynamaxed to take Icicle Crash(they used Max Knuckle a 3rd time idk why,) and then got faster than scarf Darm-g so I 3hkod w. Phantasm. Then another Drifblim was surprisingly good vs. Lapras. I burned it t1, then Hex, then they Ice Sharded cause I was low HP from 2 FDs but they didn't realize SE -1 atk(Landog) burned FD does like 0 so I was able to STrength Sap then finally revenge the weakened Lapras w/ a 2nd Hex just barely cause ofc veil.

Drifblim is really fun imo when it works and it does often enough, you should keep at it. ALso it's helped I haven't run into Zapdos in several games(kinda weird but yay.)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)