Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Amnesia
- Charm
- Rest
- Seismic Toss

Azumarill usually threatens foes with Huge Power, but stall Azumarill plays with these expectations to surprise unprepared opponents. Amnesia and Charm both weaken incoming attacks, eventually letting Azumarill chip opponents with Seismic Toss. Rest provides recovery and removes status conditions, such as Entei's Toxic. Additionally, Sap Sipper gives Azumarill an immunity to incoming Grass-type attacks from opponents like Rillaboom, Tapu Bulu, and Zarude and prevents Leech Seed users like Whimsicott from taking advantage of Azumarill's passivity. Against Tapu Fini, Azumarill should use Amnesia once, and then repeatedly use Seismic Toss. This takes advantage of Tapu Fini's tendency to Iron Defence immediately against Azumarill. By boosting its Special Defense, Azumarill lowers the healing Tapu Fini gets from Draining Kiss, leading to Seismic Toss overwhelming the opponent. The defense investment gives the best odds of defeating Aggron and Galarian Darmanitan. Azumarill is still vulnerable to powerful super effective attacks from Electric- and Poison-types like Zeraora or Nihilego, so Ground-types such as Landorus serve as great partners; they, in turn, appreciate Azumarill threatening Water-, Ice-, and Grass-types.

Last edited by a moderator:

Itchy

take all my data, what will you find?
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
- I would reword the second half of the first sentence to be more flashy - "but stall Azumarill plays with these expectations" or something
- The Rest point could be consolidated to be like "Rest provides recovery and removes status conditions, such as Entei's Toxic"
- Simplify and say Whimsicott / Tapu Fini, if this were an analysis specifying non-Taunt and non-Trick would be good but we're low on characters
- I think the ID Fini matchup could be its own sentence, really hammers home the surprise factor rather than regurgitating how stall works
- If Icy Wind is too niche it's ok to remove it - a specific set on a B+ rank and a couple C/D ranks is hard to justify over SToss's more meta matchups
- The EV spread point could also be consolidated - "The defense investment gives the best odds of defeating Aggron and Galarian Darmanitan"
- Last sentence - "the Azumarill" is awkward wording
- If you can find a PL / WC replay with it, would be nice

lmk when this is implemented and I'll probably give 1/1 on cord

Last edited:

dex

Hard as Vince Carter’s knee cartilage is
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Amnesia
- Charm
- Rest
- Seismic Toss

Azumarill usually threatens fopponents with Huge Power, but stall Azumarill plays with these expectations to surprise unprepared opponents. Amnesia and Charm both weaken incoming attacks, eventually letting Azumarill chip down opponents with Seismic Toss. Rest provides recovery and removes status conditions, such as Entei's Toxic. Additionally, Sap Sipper gives Azumarill an immunity to incoming Grass-type attacks from opponents like Rillaboom, Tapu Bulu, and Zarude, as well as and prevents Leech Seed users like Whimsicott from taking advantage of Azumarill's passivity. Against Tapu Fini, Azumarill should use Amnesia once, and then repeatedly use Seismic Toss. This takes advantage of Tapu Fini's tendency to Iron Defence immediately against Azumarill. By boosting its Special Defense, Azumarill lowers the healing Tapu Fini gets from Draining Kiss, leading to Seismic Toss overwhelming the opponent. The defense investment gives the best odds of defeating Aggron and Galarian Darmanitan. Azumarill is still vulnerable to powerful super- effective attacks from Electric- and Poison-types like Zeraora or Nihilego, so Ground-types such as Landorus serve as great partners to Azumarill, and they appreciate the removal of; they, in turn, appreciate Azumarill threatening Water-, Ice-, and Grass-Type opponenttypes.

1/1, I cut some stuff to get it under the character count, so let me know if anything important is missing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)