Attention all Smog Readers and Writers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! My name is Corey Kuchynka and I am a student at DePaul University doing a study of online communities, and am interested in looking at Smogon University as an online community. It would be very helpful to my research to learn about your experiences as a participant. Would you be willing to participate in a short interview? For more information please visit this website:

http://balloonfight209vwoc.blogspot.com (Corey Kuchynka on the topic of The Smog)

I am working with a team of three other students on this research project. We have each become members of the site and we have decided to split up and look at four different parts. I chose to look at the Smog in particular to try and talk to users who like to read the articles as well as the writers of the article themselves. If anyone who reads this is interested or knows someone who would be interested in participating, please feel free to contact me at the link above. There I have written up a report of what I believe the Smogon Community does for it's community. Please let me know if I overlooked anything. You can let me know there if you'd like to be interviewed. If you are interested in contacting anyone from the 3 other sections of the site that we are studying, please take a look at the three links below. We are all very excited to be researching the Smogon Community and we would really appreciate your time if you can spare it.

http://shotsofvirtualawe.tumblr.com/ (Jeremy Ortiz on the topic of Mentorship)
http://witchkingmike.blogspot.com/ (Michael Weiss on the topic of Tournaments)
http://blogforvirtualworlds.blogspot.com/ (Peter Gawron on the topic of Competitive Discussion)

Thank you for your time!

Corey Kuchynka (balloonfight209)
Jeremy Ortiz (yoshisword)
Michael Weiss (Ffxfriek)
Peter Gawron (KorruptPhantom)

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I read over your blog and the other blogs and saw that you have a lot of incorrect information. I'd be willing to be interviewed to clear up your misconceptions.

Toast++

Nexus is literally the worst.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hi, balloonfight209
As tennisace said, you do have some things a bit mixed up. I'd love to talk to you about your perceptions though and maybe it will help us make some changes for the better.

I'm also happy to talk to you about the smog. While I do not write for it, I am part of the magazine's staff.

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey there! I already replied to your friend, Jeremu Oritz, so he should be contacting your whole group tomorrow (he told me in an email). If you would like me to contact you, you can email me at cj7086@gmail.com. Happy studying! :)

Hi, I am no longer part of The Smog's staff. However, a look at previous issue contribution pages will reveal that I worked on The Smog in its formative issues with a few breaks up until a year ago. I wrote, collated, and (primarily) acted in an editorial capacity (grammar/prose, content, staffing, and HTML). I have been here for many changes throughout The Smog's organisation and would be happy to talk to you about The Smog if you feel my perspective would be useful. However, I am busy with university work until June, so it would be best if you could PM or email me any questions you had before then, as it may be difficult to arrange a live interview with me (I am Australian). I will try to take a look at your blog soon and PM you any comments I have. :) Although I am not particularly knowledgeable about the other areas your team has chosen to examine, I have been involved in many areas across the site as well (former staff, former IRC staff, former simulator staff, former researcher, former writer/editor/staff for the site outside The Smog) and would be happy to field questions about the community in general.

(I am unsure if this is a limiting factor, but I am unwilling to have my comments attributed to anything more identifying than my username/gender/general location/age.)

email: alice ~at~ shaym . in

Last edited:
Hello all! Thank you for the quick responses! I will contact each of you individually to schedule interviews! I get my work schedule on Friday, so I will contact you soon! For those of you who are just viewing this thread and are interested in being interviewed, please feel free to contact me. This project will last about another 2 weeks!

Last edited:

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm rather new at writing for The Smog (2 finished articles and 1 WIP) and I'm not nearly as active as I used to be (real life got in the way) but I am a long-time member of Smogon and I'm willing to participate if you think my input would be useful. Similar to jumpluff, I think it would probably be easiest to do this through PM.

I look forward to reading your analyses on The Smog! I like to surf and examine communities too, but I've never taken a formal approach like yours. Your blog really piques my interest haha. Be sure to update this thread when you make a post about The Smog. I can't wait to check it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)