Attempts to downscale the SwSh large menu sprites

(Please take note that this OP is severely outdated due to a lack of time to fix it up)

Pokemon Showdown! looks pretty nice with the small menu sprites of the 3DS era in my opinion. Such a look wouldn't exactly be feasible as of now however, because fully evolved Pokemon get cool-looking larger menu sprites that wouldn't work with the Showdown! layout. (EDIT: they got some decent menu sprites as of right now. This is a "fun" project a of right now. Who knows however, they might get used in the future!) As a result, I got inspiration from this situation and felt like making attempts to downscale the larger menu sprites to an acceptable appearance. Keep in mind this is my first thread in this section of the forums and the content may not be the best, but here's what I have so far:

Corviknight Line:
--->

Down-scaling this sprite from a 96x96 canvas to a 40x40 canvas worked out really well. Most of the features made it in some way. (only manual work was adding in one little detail it didn't get and fixing the outline.) This ended up nice-looking.
--->
--->

These two were already at the necessary size, so only thing needed was an outline recolor to match the Generation VII sprites

Applin Line:
--->

Down-scaling here also went well, but the wings were a bit deformed after the scaling, so after tiding that up, I got to this!
--->

The head seemed to flatten a bit when it was scaled. A little work there fixed that issue, and it's quite nice right now.
--->

Applin was at an appropriate size, so down-scaling was a no brainer.

Rilaboom Line:
--->

Rilaboom also scaled nicely. I have a bit of concerns about the line of hair going through it's face, but it looks decent.
--->
--->

These two were a no brainer to get scaled down.

Arctovish:
--->

Acrtovish doesn't have a lot of features, so it scaled down quite nicely!

Dracozolt:
--->

It scaled down really weirdly, and it was hard to identify what was the bolts and what was the yellow part of the body. Not a fan of this one personally.

But all of this seems so easy so far! What down-scaling actually took work to do?

Basically, some of the Pokemon required more than a simple scale to get:

Intelleon Line:
Simply scaling Intelleon down resulted in a really tall-looking sprite:
--->

You can't tell me that isn't way too tall-looking. As a result, I did more than downscale:

Specifically, I cut off a good portion of the head frill, slightly shortened the head, cut off a bit of the neck, and slightly shortened the feet. It resulted in:
--->

It looks a bit crammed, but it's not as tall as it used to be now!

Sobble and Drizzile were trivial:
--->
--->

Cinderace Line:
Once again, I had ran into a Pokemon who looked too tall when initially scaled:
--->

So here, I cut off parts of the ears, removed a slight part of the neck, and moved the feet up a bit:
--->

Resulting in something that looked pretty nice.

The fun part about this line is that I actually edited Scorbunny and Raboot:
--->
--->

Specifically, Scorbunny's ears are slightly smaller, while Raboot's hair ruffs and legs are slightly smaller.

Dragapult Line:
This time however, the specified Pokemon ended up too wide instead:
--->

That looks wide doesn't it?

So to combat that, the head fins were slightly shortened, a good chunk of the tail was removed, and the cannons were made slightly shorter:
-->

Dreepy and Drakloak were trivial:
--->
--->

Eternatus:
Oh boy is the source image huge:
--->

The result looks really big, but Eternatus itself appears to be really big, so I was ok with the sheer size.

So how are they? Anything about the style I need to improve? Anything in general that could use improvements? Any Pokemon in particular you would like me to try?

Last edited:
Those with a sprite are completed, but up for criticism. Those without a sprite have not been worked on yet.
  • Grookey:
  • Thwackey:
  • Rilaboom:
  • Scorbunny:
  • Raboot:
  • Cinderace:
  • Sobble:
  • Drizzile:
  • Inteleon:
  • Blipbug:
  • Dottler:
  • Orbeetle:
  • Rokidee:
  • Corvisquire:
  • Corviknight:
  • Skwovet:
  • Greedent:
  • Nickit:
  • Thievul:
  • Zigzagoon-Galar:
  • Linoone-Galar:
  • Obstagoon:
  • Wooloo:
  • Dubwool:
  • Chewtle:
  • Drednaw:
  • Yamper:
  • Boltund:
  • Gosseflur:
  • Eldegoss:
  • Sizzlipede:
  • Centiskorch:
  • Rolycoly:
  • Carkol:
  • Coalossal:
  • Arrokuda:
  • Barraskewda:
  • Meowth-Galar:
  • Perrserker:
  • Milcrey:
  • Alcremie:
  • Applin:
  • Flapple:
  • Appletun:
  • Farfetch'd-Galar:
  • Sirfetch'd:
  • Stunfisk-Galar:
  • Corsola-Galar:
  • Cursola:
  • Impidimp:
  • Morgrem:
  • Grimmsnarl:
  • Hatenna:
  • Hattrem:
  • Hatterene:
  • Weezing-Galar:
  • Cufant:
  • Copperajah:
  • Cramorant:
  • Toxel:
  • Toxtricity:
  • Silicobra:
  • Sandaconda:
  • Yamask-Galar:
  • Runerigus:
  • Ponyta-Galar:
  • Rapidash-Galar:
  • Sinistea:
  • Polteageist:
  • Indeedee-M:
  • Indeedee-F:
  • Morpeko:
  • Morpeko-Hangry:
  • Falkins:
  • Snom:
  • Frosmoth:
  • Clobbopus:
  • Grapploct:
  • Pincurchin:
  • Mr. Mime-Galar:
  • Mr. Rime:
  • Darumaka-Galar:
  • Darmanitan-Galar:
  • Stonjouner:
  • Eiscue:
  • Eiscue-Noice:
  • Duraldon:
  • Dracozolt:
  • Arctozolt:
  • Dracovish:
  • Arctovish:
  • Dreepy:
  • Drakloak:
  • Dragapult:
  • Zacian:
  • Zacian-Crowned:
  • Zamazenta:
  • Zamazenta-Crowned:
  • Eternatus:
  • Meltan:
  • Melmetal:

Not working on anything at the moment. Open to be requested a specific line.

Last edited:
Pokemon Showdown! looks pretty nice with the small menu sprites of the 3DS era in my opinion. Such a look wouldn't exactly be feasible as of now however, because fully evolved Pokemon get cool-looking larger menu sprites that wouldn't work with the Showdown! layout. As a result, I got inspiration from this situation and felt like making attempts to downscale the larger menu sprites to an acceptable appearance. Keep in mind this is my first thread in this section of the forums and the content may not be the best, but here's what I have so far:

Corviknight Line:
--->

Down-scaling this sprite from a 96x96 canvas to a 40x40 canvas worked out really well. Most of the features made it in some way. (only manual work was adding in one little detail it didn't get and fixing the outline.) This ended up nice-looking.
--->
--->

These two were already at the necessary size, so only thing needed was an outline recolor to match the Generation VII sprites

Applin Line:
--->

Down-scaling here also went well, but the wings were a bit deformed after the scaling, so after tiding that up, I got to this!
--->

The head seemed to flatten a bit when it was scaled. A little work there fixed that issue, and it's quite nice right now.
--->

Applin was at an appropriate size, so down-scaling was a no brainer.

Rilaboom Line:
--->

Rilaboom also scaled nicely. I have a bit of concerns about the line of hair going through it's face, but it looks decent.
--->
--->

These two were a no brainer to get scaled down.

Arctovish:
--->

Acrtovish doesn't have a lot of features, so it scaled down quite nicely!

Dracozolt:
--->

It scaled down really weirdly, and it was hard to identify what was the bolts and what was the yellow part of the body. Not a fan of this one personally.

But all of this seems so easy so far! What down-scaling actually took work to do?

Basically, some of the Pokemon required more than a simple scale to get:

Intelleon Line:
Simply scaling Intelleon down resulted in a really tall-looking sprite:
--->

You can't tell me that isn't way too tall-looking. As a result, I did more than downscale:

Specifically, I cut off a good portion of the head frill, slightly shortened the head, cut off a bit of the neck, and slightly shortened the feet. It resulted in:
--->

It looks a bit crammed, but it's not as tall as it used to be now!

Sobble and Drizzile were trivial:
--->
--->

Cinderace Line:
Once again, I had ran into a Pokemon who looked too tall when initially scaled:
--->

So here, I cut off parts of the ears, removed a slight part of the neck, and moved the feet up a bit:
--->

Resulting in something that looked pretty nice.

The fun part about this line is that I actually edited Scorbunny and Raboot:
--->
--->

Specifically, Scorbunny's ears are slightly smaller, while Raboot's hair ruffs and legs are slightly smaller.

Dragapult Line:
This time however, the specified Pokemon ended up too wide instead:
--->

That looks wide doesn't it?

So to combat that, the head fins were slightly shortened, a good chunk of the tail was removed, and the cannons were made slightly shorter:
-->

Dreepy and Drakloak were trivial:
--->
--->

Eternatus:
Oh boy is the source image huge:
--->

The result looks really big, but Eternatus itself appears to be really big, so I was ok with the sheer size.

So how are they? Anything about the style I need to improve? Anything in general that could use improvements? Any Pokemon in particular you would like me to try?
The images don't work. Please fix this.

Sorry about that! It should be ok now.

Have some menu sprites from the Coalossal family to make up for it:
--->

--->

--->

I had to edit Coalossal because it was too tall. The coal pile ended up noticably smaller:
--->

Carkol also had the coal pile on it shrink a bit.
OK these ones are fine lol.

Nice! However I would like to mention how the outline used here simulates generation VI sprites while the outline I use simulates generation VII sprites. (you used This instead of This)

I decicded to shrink down Farfetch'd and Sirfetch'd. Enjoy:
--->

I'm not exactly sure this angle works for Sirfetch'd, but I really had to scale the leek down.
--->

Farfetch'd needed the leek to be scaled down too. Most of it ended up being chopped off to not make the sprite use the entire horizontal canvas.

I was about to do another Pokemon, but then I saw this:
:boltund:
And I became irritated by it. (I applaud whoever had the time to make all of those however)

So I made Boltund instead:
--->

The head was a bit too big, so I shrunk it down:
--->

Yamper went fine:
--->

I also felt like making the Obstagoon family:
--->

Obstagoon lost a lot of the white fur when it was first scaled down. The tongue also looked too long:
--->

Zigzagoon and Linoone went ok:
--->
--->

I also completed Pincurchin a few days ago, and forgot to mention that.
--->

This didn't take a lot of trouble to do.

Last edited:
Wanna know something embarrassing I discovered?

The wrong outline color was applied to most of these (it's supposed to be This instead of This)

That affects most of the sprites (except Thwackey who I forgot to change the outline color and Dragapult who had a weird outline color for some odd reason)

Ah well, I have Ruingergus Runerigus, Weezing, and Falkins done so it's not all bad:
--->

--->

--->

--->

Centiskorch was also updated to not be as tall as before:
--->

Older posts which used the affected sprites will not be updated. The sprite compilation will be updated to reflect these changes.

Last edited:
Got 3 more lines in:
Frosmoth line:
--->

--->

Sandaconda line:
--->

--->

Dreadnaw line:
--->

--->

Explanations will probably come soon.

Reactions: BP
Got 3 more lines in:
Frosmoth line:
--->

--->

Sandaconda line:
--->

--->

Dreadnaw line:
--->

--->

Explanations will probably come soon.
I'll just tell you now. Showdown already has menu sprites for them. You might want to change that first post to say this is just for fun.

I'll just tell you now. Showdown already has menu sprites for them. You might want to change that first post to say this is just for fun.
I was aware. Just that I never updated the OP with that. It's there now.

Something I noticed is that I messed up and forgot to erase a few pixels on the Frostmoth sprite:
--->

There's a few pixels on the outline that I missed. You would have to look at great detail to notice.

I also have the Orbeetle line done:
--->

Surprisingly, this didn't take much effort. Most of it went to the top and apart from that, it went really nice!
--->

Dottler was shrunken slightly, as I felt like it was necessary.
--->

Blipbug's top part was shaved off too, for similar reasons.

MBCMechachu

formerly Pikafan2000
is an Artist
These icons don't look that bad though I wish that they were slightly cleaner with the colors seeing as to how you're downscaling the discolored versions of the spirtes. Also are there any plans to downscale the icons for Pokemon from previous generations that got new icons in either Let's Go or Sword & Shield?

leParagon

I'm still around, don't worry
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
There's a palette for these?
i think what pikafan means is that the sprites you downscaled still have 80-200 colour counts. instead of just resizing them and editing over, i suggest you trace over and remake them based on the scaled down versions (basically respriting them) so you have better control over the colour count and to minimize colour artifacts. even if this is just for fun, some people will decide to use your icons. half the time, game engines and stuff dont handle sprites with that many colours very well

also i apologize for some of the icons like Boltund and some others haha. half of these icons were rushed since Showdown needed them asap

MBCMechachu

formerly Pikafan2000
is an Artist
I think what pikafan means is that the sprites you downscaled still have 80-200 colour counts. instead of just resizing them and editing over, i suggest you trace over and remake them based on the scaled down versions (basically respriting them) so you have better control over the colour count and to minimize colour artifacts. even if this is just for fun, some people will decide to use your icons. half the time, game engines and stuff don't handle sprites with that many colours very well

also I apologize for some of the icons like Boltund and some others haha. half of these icons were rushed since Showdown needed them asap.
Many thanks for the summarization.

i think what pikafan means is that the sprites you downscaled still have 80-200 colour counts. instead of just resizing them and editing over, i suggest you trace over and remake them based on the scaled down versions (basically respriting them) so you have better control over the colour count and to minimize colour artifacts. even if this is just for fun, some people will decide to use your icons. half the time, game engines and stuff dont handle sprites with that many colours very well

also i apologize for some of the icons like Boltund and some others haha. half of these icons were rushed since Showdown needed them asap
Sorry for the late response, but I totally can understand that some of the mini sprites were rushed for showdown. Good point to bring up.

Also, I am glad I listened, Because I attempted a new technique (Getting the outline, editing the outline to make it smaller, and then add the colors into the outline) and I got to say, Dragapult looks much cleaner:
--->

Limiting the colors I can use helps make it look cleaner in my opinion.

Thank you for the response.

EDIT: Intelleon looks a bit better too:
--->

Last edited:
Updated sprites ver. 2:

I also decided to use a darker outline color reminiscent of Generation VII menu sprites
--->

--->

--->

--->

It's no longer a mess of pixels!

--->

The cool thing about doing this is that you notice fine details on the mons you wouldn't notice otherwise.

Updated sprites Ver. 3:
--->

Significantly better looking boy.

--->

It's a bit wider, but I felt like that was necessary.

--->

I'm personally not a fan of tilting the leek because it can easily make the sprite go off-center. Also It is one pixel off from being 30 pixels high.

--->

--->

Don't worry though, I'm not only revamping sprites:
--->

It was tough getting all the details in, but I did it with two pixels in width to spare (The current one only spares one pixel)

Meltan is ok:
--->

MBCMechachu

formerly Pikafan2000
is an Artist
Not too sure if this project is still going or not but I thought I'd show off the downscale I managed to give Perrserker.
1583206067328.png

Top image is the original, while the bottom one is the downscale.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)