Ask the Admins #10

Status
Not open for further replies.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
It's back (again)!

For those who don't know what "Ask the Admins" exactly is here's a briefing: premiering in the first issue of The Smog, "Questions & Answers"—a feature in which a user would ask a question and a seasoned member of the community would answer it—became a recurring article until the fourth issue where it would be renamed and revamped as "Ask the Admins"—a popular piece in which site administrators would carefully pick and choose questions from users and answer them. Unfortunately, as with anything repetitive, there is a point in which it needs to be retired; in Issue #8 it said goodbye, but not forever. Two years later, Seven Deadly Sins and Desolate brought it back for an issue, but issues caused it to not last for long. Now, I bring it back, hopefully for longer than the last time.

Have a question you've always been burning to ask the Smogon site administration? Here's your chance! For each issue of The Smog, the Smogon admins will comb this this thread, select the very best questions, and write up answers to be published in the webzine. Your questions may cover any topic you like, but remember, not every question will be selected.
I hope you all take this chance to get in touch with us; we want to hear from you Before posting your query, skim the last question thread and get an idea on what this thread should be like. In addition, it's strongly suggested you take a look at issues one through eight of The Smog and read the "Ask the Admins" article so you know what quality we're expecting.

Ask away!

cb aaron judge

ALL RISE
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
How do you plan to lead the site at the inception of Generation VI, at which a flood of new users is likely to be expected, and how will Pokemon policy be dealt with before, during, and after this certain-to-be hectic period?

Last edited:

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For admins who are/were programmers: what is the longest amount of time you've spent coding at one time? Bathroom and food breaks allowed, but no sleep.

I've been doing nothing but losing. I'll try a team, swap a few mons and try again, and lose again.. I've applied to be tutored, asked for advice and such but no one really WANTS to help. So my question is, how can I better myself in this metagame?

Hi Smogon Admins, I'm curious how you got into the competitive scene. I got into Showdown and Smogon because a friend suggested it to me last year. I'm sure my story isn't the most exciting, but what about you guys?

Also, what did you guys do on Smogon.com when you were starting out? Did you jump into C&C, write Smog articles, or contribute somewhere else?

Thank you for your time :)

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
I will likely wait until the next issue of The Smog (not the one being released soon) to have Ask The Admins, to allow a couple more questions to come in, and so the admins answering the questions don't feel rushed as The Smog release is soon-ish.

What are the limitations, if any for a pokemon to be featured in an issue of The Smog? Do they have to have some form of diversity, such as Tyranitar, or can they be as completely one-sided as, say, Deoxys-A?

Not sure if this should be it's own post or merged with my other if so I will edit and delete this one

How do you feel Smogon's systems (i.e. suspecting, C&C, Articles, etc) work? Do they go smoothly? Take too long or get done to quickly? Any changes you'd like to see made on a personal level

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What are the limitations, if any for a pokemon to be featured in an issue of The Smog? Do they have to have some form of diversity, such as Tyranitar, or can they be as completely one-sided as, say, Deoxys-A?
This question has nothing to do with the admins; and a Pokemon solely has to be decent to be written about. Any writer may apply to spotlight any Pokemon that fulfills said requirement.

How did you become an admin, were there special skills that set you apart, did you work your way up for years or climb to the top of the ladder quickly. did you ever think that you might become an admin.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Since this thread is hurting slightly for questions, I've brought a couple:

- You've presumably been regular old moderators at some point or another as well as super mods. In that time (and currently, I suppose), what has been your favorite forum to moderate? In particular, what forums did you enjoy leading discussion in most?
- For those applicable, do you prefer forum modding or simulator modding? Experience doesn't have to be current; modding Shoddy back in the day must have been very different than modding PS is now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)