Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - The Smog Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckaboomboom

I believe I can HM02
Thanks for all the people who've helped me with my previous questions! I think this will probably be my last one.
In The Smog's Workshop, most of the articles are written without ever appearing in the Smog's Article Approval page. For example, this article (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ou-spotlight-gliscor.3532470/) was posted in the workshop, even though it was never posted in the articles approval section.
Does this mean that I can write articles in the workshop without posting them in the Article Approval page first?

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for all the people who've helped me with my previous questions! I think this will probably be my last one.
In The Smog's Workshop, most of the articles are written without ever appearing in the Smog's Article Approval page.
Does this mean that I can write articles in the workshop without posting them in the Article Approval page first?
Article Approvals has a different forum permission than others :p you can only see threads posted there by yourself haha.

Good day! I would want to start contributing on the Smog so I'd like to ask some clarifications before starting.
1. The Smog Submission Guidelines thread has instructed that users willing to contribute to Pokemon Spotlight articles and the like should have credentials that prove the user's knowledge about the metagame he/she is writing for. Are there any specific credentials (or examples, if any) that the user should present in order to have permission granted in writing the said articles?
2. If I'm not mistaken, you first present your chosen contribution to a staff member before posting a thread in the Article Approval forums, right?

That's all I'd like to ask and know about the steps in forming a Smog article. Looking forward to spend my time here.

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
hi there :] glad you're eager to contribute to The Smog.
1. The Smog Submission Guidelines thread has instructed that users willing to contribute to Pokemon Spotlight articles and the like should have credentials that prove the user's knowledge about the metagame he/she is writing for. Are there any specific credentials (or examples, if any) that the user should present in order to have permission granted in writing the said articles?
As far as qualifying credentials, I'd say a screenshot of high ladder rankings in the metagame for which you want to write a Spotlight, a link to a tournament of that metagame that you fared well in, or links to some of your posts in the appropriate metagame forum would suffice.
Gareth de Voir said:
2. If I'm not mistaken, you first present your chosen contribution to a staff member before posting a thread in the Article Approval forums, right?
Nah, you can jump straight to posing a thread in the Approval forum. However, make sure that you've got a detailed outline with some substantial content and state your credentials clearly so that the Smog staff understand you've got enough knowledge of that particular metagame. Review your thread and cross-compare it to the Article Approvals portion of this post to assure that it's good to go. At that point all Smog staff can see your submission at once, so it's tons more convenient. :]

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
Hi, I was wondering what would happen if there were too many articles to be written for a single release? Would some of them be pushed, and if yes how would the articles in question be determined?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hi, I was wondering what would happen if there were too many articles to be written for a single release? Would some of them be pushed, and if yes how would the articles in question be determined?
We'll never reach a point of too many articles at release.

If theoretically we ever came to such a scenario, the last ones finished would be pushed and/or the ones that are not time sensitive.

The Article Workshop thread in The Smog Forums offers a template for convenience of writing, but I haven't got this part yet:

Top [NUMBER] [SUBJECT] [Choose a particular subject from the Pokemon world (for example: Gym Leaders) and then a select few of whatever subject it might be, and start writing about them. You can write as little as three, or five, or ten - so long as the content is flowing, you've got yourself a winner. Title it appropriately.]
What does this part (specifically, the [NUMBER] part) mean? How long should this section normally be?

Quarkz

dGltZSBmb3IgbWUgdG8gbW92ZSBvbg==
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The Article Workshop thread in The Smog Forums offers a template for convenience of writing, but I haven't got this part yet:

What does this part (specifically, the [NUMBER] part) mean? How long should this section normally be?
I think it's talking about a top 10 style article. So you would pick the 3/5/10 things in a particular subject (like maybe Gym Leaders, for example) and write a justification as to why they deserve that spot on the list. Some examples I quickly picked out: http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue27/ruined http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue29/pokemon_to_own

Hello! I'm wondering where do I exactly write for The Smog? Like where do I post my idea to, in which thread? I'm new, but I absolutely loved the idea of this magazine. Thanks! :)

Empress

33% coffee / 33% alcohol / 34% estrogen
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello! I'm wondering where do I exactly write for The Smog? Like where do I post my idea to, in which thread? I'm new, but I absolutely loved the idea of this magazine. Thanks! :)
If you have an idea for an article, propose it in this forum: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/article-approvals.216/
The Smog staff will read it and determine if it's a good article idea; if it is, you'll get access to a forum where you work on it.

Where can I go to receive answers for puzzle pages? At the end of each issue is a promise of answers to be posted when the deadline is reached and I can never find them.

The main reason I'm asking this is because I've spent 3 hours on the damn Pokemon Ports section and am well convinced there is no correct answer for 2 and 3.

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Where can I go to receive answers for puzzle pages? At the end of each issue is a promise of answers to be posted when the deadline is reached and I can never find them.

The main reason I'm asking this is because I've spent 3 hours on the damn Pokemon Ports section and am well convinced there is no correct answer for 2 and 3.
The ports were successful! :D

There are answers for 2 and 3, they're just difficult. If it isn't challenging, then what's the point?

The ports were successful! :D

There are answers for 2 and 3, they're just difficult. If it isn't challenging, then what's the point?
I tried for three hours and looked at every possible scenario, but if you insist.

Do you know, however, if there is a place where answers are put (like I posed in my original comment)?

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
I tried for three hours and looked at every possible scenario, but if you insist.

Do you know, however, if there is a place where answers are put (like I posed in my original comment)?
I know that they're solvable, I made them. :P

And sorry, but I don't believe there is. At least, not for the public.

Quarkz

dGltZSBmb3IgbWUgdG8gbW92ZSBvbg==
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Solutions are promised every issue and as far as I can tell, have not been provided in the past few issues. I will try and get this solved, as this is not acceptable and we are letting the readers down. For now, I'd like to ask RitterCat to PM me the answers so we can get these onsite, as the two week period has passed.

I actually believe that the description for the Ports are misleading, as the answers do not match up with what the description is telling you to do, at least as far as I can see.

Sorry for the inconvenience SwedishBiscuit, as I say, I will try to get this resolved for you and any others.

Luigi

spo.ink/shadowtag
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 27 Championis a Past SPL Champion
"Recently, some ADV aficionado friends of mine and I were discussing how some of the current top-tier Pokémon would perform in the tier, similar to some past Smog articles that Crystal_ wrote."

thats from issue 42, where can find the aforementioned Crystal_ article?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)