Resource Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: PU Edition

The damage output is nice, though the overall bulk of Throh makes it a bit more appealing for phasing. Rest talk functions better, and Grapploct really wants to use drain punch as that is a big reason why you're using it over Throh in the first place. As said above it's a fine option if you really want the damage output and don't mind not being as reliable/bulky as you otherwise could be but, most of the time you're better off with Throh.
edit: A set it could fit on is Assault vest, over power up punch
What about druddigon as a phaser though?
stealth rock/dragon tail/iron head(crunch is better if expecting espeon like rn)/toxic with mold breaker
really good for neutralising espeons and to boot out sweepers that try setting up from 1st turn (rarely seen tho)

Hey, I know you can change the form of Alcremie in teambuilder on Showdown, but is there any way to change the sweet as well? Like, could I use a Star Sweet Rainbow Swirl Alcremie on my team? Thanks.

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Hey, I know you can change the form of Alcremie in teambuilder on Showdown, but is there any way to change the sweet as well? Like, could I use a Star Sweet Rainbow Swirl Alcremie on my team? Thanks.
There is currently no way to do so unfortunately :c Showdown's programmers only added the forms fairly recently and there's as far as I know no plans to add the individual sweets for each form as well, nor would the current teambuilder support it well.

Howdy PU Folks, I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread, but here goes: I've been a competitive lurker for VGC and the Lower Singles Tiers (NU and PU) for several years, but I finally worked up the courage to start battling and get involved with the community. I've watched a lot of replays over the last few months and have been following viability, tiering, and team discussions, but I'm still a little lost. What are some other things that I should know or do when getting started with the community? Thank you all in advance.

Leni

formerly tlenit
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RUPL Champion
Howdy PU Folks, I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread, but here goes: I've been a competitive lurker for VGC and the Lower Singles Tiers (NU and PU) for several years, but I finally worked up the courage to start battling and get involved with the community. I've watched a lot of replays over the last few months and have been following viability, tiering, and team discussions, but I'm still a little lost. What are some other things that I should know or do when getting started with the community? Thank you all in advance.
Howdy,

You can always feel free to hop on PU discord and start asking questions about your teams, turns played in games or basically whatever. Same applies to PU room on PS. Furthermore if you feel like you would like to be tutored, you can apply here.

All in all, discord is probably currently the most active place to hang around and shoot the questions that you feel needs to be answered. In discord you can find lot of talented and experienced people that can definitely help to improve and see things in different lightning,

Cheers, have a good one!

Howdy,

You can always feel free to hop on PU discord and start asking questions about your teams, turns played in games or basically whatever. Same applies to PU room on PS. Furthermore if you feel like you would like to be tutored, you can apply here.

All in all, discord is probably currently the most active place to hang around and shoot the questions that you feel needs to be answered. In discord you can find lot of talented and experienced people that can definitely help to improve and see things in different lightning,

Cheers, have a good one!
Thank you! I'll be sure to hop on and check it out.

Deleted User 590774

Banned deucer.
Coming here after seeing the results of the PU survey, I have a question to all 7 people that voted to retest Virizion although this might not be the most appropriate place for it

Why? Wasn't Virizion one of the most insane pokemon this tier has seen? Sure the meta is very different compared to when Virizion was quickbanned but still...

Coming here after seeing the results of the PU survey, I have a question to all 7 people that voted to retest Virizion although this might not be the most appropriate place for it

Why? Wasn't Virizion one of the most insane pokemon this tier has seen? Sure the meta is very different compared to when Virizion was quickbanned but still...
TLDR: It's coverage being not-perfect-but-threatening and its non-nuclear attack stats??

I'm not one of those 7 that asked to retest it, and I am by no means the most qualified person to answer this, but here's my best take:

Back when Virizion was suspected (before its quickban), it was voted to stay in the tier. IIRC, two things kept it in check then: 4MSS and Talonflame. Virizion wanted to run SD/grass/Stone Edge/fighting/Zen and maybe stuff like Synthesis and Air Sash for longevity/opposing Virizion respectively. The interactions between it and Talonflame were neat and also helped keep Virizion in check, with Talonflame destroying Virizion, but Virizion being able to Stone Edge Talon on the switch.

Then Talonflame left, and that's (probably) why it was QB'd.

I'm assuming in a meta rampant with Jellicent, Regirock/Gigalith, Flying-types, Steels, and Poison types, people thought Virizion could be a solid wall breaker without being broken, since dropping a STAB opens weaknesses to Jelli or Steels, dropping slash lets opposing Virizion kill you, dropping stone edge lets flying types wall you, dropping zen opens you up to poisons, and dropping SD probably misses out on some sort of kill (i dont remember and I'm not calc-ing this, but there's probably a reason I remember SD on almost every set).

Personally, I don't think 4MSS is enough to keep Virizion balanced, but I see why some people *may* see it as retestable, especially with its 90/90 offences and the holes in its coverage.

I'm really struggling to handle both Gigalith and Regirock; ideally I'd like one wallbreaker who can take on either, but everything I've tried fails to one or the other, or takes serious damage in the process...

So far I've found that Ferroseed sort of does the job, but my team isn't built to support Ferroseed well.

Other mons I've considered include Magmortar, Lanturn, Vikavolt, Choice Specs Articuno-G. I can't use Whimsicott bc I'm using it already on my team as a defogger/utility.

Or do I just need to have both a Phys and Spec wallbreaker on my team??

I'm really struggling to handle both Gigalith and Regirock; ideally I'd like one wallbreaker who can take on either, but everything I've tried fails to one or the other, or takes serious damage in the process...
I may not be the best showdown player so you might want to wait for someone's advice who is more experienced than i am but, as wallbreakers, i found some success with both ghost/grass wallbreakers (gourgeist&trevenant) as they are immune to body press and can tank/recover pretty well from regi and gigalith rock-type moves
Hope this helps you :)

I'm gonna be completely honest, I am not good at competitive Pokemon lol.

I have a battle against a friend whom I challenged to use Stonjourner in the team. Problem is she's a way better trainer than me, should I be worried and do I need to bring a specific team in order to counter it.

Vulpix03

is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
RUPL Champion
I'm gonna be completely honest, I am not good at competitive Pokemon lol.

I have a battle against a friend whom I challenged to use Stonjourner in the team. Problem is she's a way better trainer than me, should I be worried and do I need to bring a specific team in order to counter it.
Use a Quagsire stonjourner won't do anything.

sugar ovens

blood inside
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Why isnt there a sanslash strategy dex explanation?
Sandslash has only been popular for a fairly short time and it can take a while before a writer picks and finishes an analysis, so.. it's just that noone has written one yet.

It runs an offensive set: Swords Dance, Earthquake, Rock Slide and Leech Life / Rapid Spin / Spikes, full ATK/Spe investment with Adamant (Jolly is possible if you hate Scarf Togedemaru), and a defensive set: Rapid Spin, Earthquake, Knock Off, Spikes with 252 HP, 136 Speed (for Perrserker, but you can run full HP/Def investment as well) and rest in Defense.. Impish. Best served with Gigalith, although the defensive set works fine without sand.

Why is Appletun ranked in the viability rankings? What tiny niche does it have? Why is Mr. Rime unranked? What things outclass it?

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Why is Appletun ranked in the viability rankings? What tiny niche does it have? Why is Mr. Rime unranked? What things outclass it?
Appletun is sort of there as a relic of a previous metagame, and probably should be removed in the next VR slate. It just kinda sucks for the most part unfortunately. Mr. Rime is a similar case, in recent metagames it could've been used as an offensive Rapid Spin user; however, right now it really struggles to accomplish much especially in a metagame plagued by Gigalith, Doublade and fast hyper offenses. Someone nominating both to unranked would not look out of place in a nominations post for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)