Ask a simple question - get a simple answer: PU edition

they're all approximately the same viability (theoretically), and just ordered in alphabetical order instead. The distinction of whether stuff like seaking or avalugg is better just isn't too important which is why we don't bother
gotcha, how depressing

Why don't you call this tier PoorlyUsed instead of just PU? I know the acronym doesn't come from any existing word, but all the other tiers have their complete names, so why this should stay just as initials?

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why don't you call this tier PoorlyUsed instead of just PU? I know the acronym doesn't come from any existing word, but all the other tiers have their complete names, so why this should stay just as initials?
Poorly Used doesn't really fit the structure of the tiering list, as the one above us is Never Used, and Poorly still implies more than Never. Currently, there is discussion on our tier naming system, so there might be changes, however any change would likely to be implemented next gen.

What item for Mr. Mime is considered the most useful? Choice Scarf, Choice Specs, Life Orb, or Twisted Spoon? Honestly all of them are viable and it's hard to pick.

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
What item for Mr. Mime is considered the most useful? Choice Scarf, Choice Specs, Life Orb, or Twisted Spoon? Honestly all of them are viable and it's hard to pick.
They do a lot of different things but in general Choice Scarf is the most used / viable, as a great cleaner on offense. Life Orb is usually used on Nasty Plot sets, which act as a great stallbreaker. Choice Specs can be used over Scarf to make Mime a better breaker, whereas Twistedspoon can be used on the Nasty Plot set.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What does eball do that Giga drain can't on specially based LO cacturne
Extra damage where Giga Drain's recovery rarely comes in handy for actual practical use thanks to its awful bulk. The only situation that it definitely helps that I've run into or seen is a full health 1v1 vs phys def Gabite (not that Energy Ball's damage is likely huge either, I haven't seen it guarantee anything other than slightly more damage)
e: Anty pointed out to me that you go from 37.1% chance to 2hko after rocks to guaranteed 2hko after rocks on defensive mawile so that's actually pretty nice

Last edited:
Yes. It is also a pretty nice set overall

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Focus Blast

Why is Lumineon A- on the viability rankings? What advantages does it have over Pelipper or Prinplup in the current meta? Or is there a new set that got it that high on the rankings?

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
Why is Lumineon A- on the viability rankings? What advantages does it have over Pelipper or Prinplup in the current meta? Or is there a new set that got it that high on the rankings?
Prinplup has Stealth Rock and Defog, and Pelipper has the Fighting resistance. However, in general, Lumineon is better than both of these. It has U-turn for momentum and passive recovery over Prinplup, and over Pelipper, it is not forced to click Roost every time it switches in because it is weak to Stealth Rock. Lumineon also has a better Defensive typing than Pelipper. Finally, Lumineon has Storm Drain, making it a premier Water-type check in this metagame.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Yes. It is also a pretty nice set overall

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Focus Blast
Thanks for the set, it looks pretty cool. Could you list some partners that would work well with this set (probably something to weaken stuff like Metang)

Thanks for the set, it looks pretty cool. Could you list some partners that would work well with this set (probably something to weaken stuff like Metang)
Stunfisk is a nice partner to take a few strong physical hits for Grumpig (like from Stoutland) that trouble it. Stunfisk can also deal with Metang.

If you're looking for a answer to what PU stands for it may not have a meaning
But if you just need a simple answer... You can use my idea!
Maybe PU stands Poorly Used?

Maybe that is why it is the lowest tier next to LC, because the mons are very poorly used, and a result they are terrible in competitive battle...

This idea does have a few flaws though, people have found the best move sets.
These mons stats are just really bad...

You could just call this tier, Petrified urine
Or even practically useless...

But it is fun and don't get me wrong I love PU

Last edited:

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
If you're looking for a answer to what PU stands for it may not have a meaning
But if you just need a simple answer... You can use my idea!
Maybe PU stands Poorly Used?

Maybe that is why it is the lowest tier next to LC, because the mons are very poorly used, and a result they are terrible in competitive battle...

This idea does have a few flaws though, people have found the best move sets.
These mons stats are just really bad...

You could just call this tier, Petrified urine
Or even practically useless...

But it is fun and don't get me wrong I love PU
this is the wrong thread for this and tbh there isn't a thread for this...

but anyway, the reason PU isn't called Poorly Used is because it's below NU, which stands for NeverUsed, and that would make no sense. Instead, it's a pun, and it isn't getting changed in the foreseeable future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,
besides that can anyone point me to RMT for PU...
I need some help please, I would really appreciate it

What are some good krokorok partners?
Defensively, Krok can't handle grass, ice, or water types. Also, he can't deal with Mr. Mime and freezie Rotom. Grumpig deals with freezie Rotom and other ice types well on account of Thick Fat and Focus Blast, and it appreciates Krok's pressure on other psychic types. Zebstrika is a good offensive partner to deal with grass and water types. It can pressure them out and keep momentum going with Volt Turn. It's standard, but make sure you run Overheat so you're able to KO common grass types like Roselia when your opponent isn't able to switch them out. Gourgeist(?) seems like a good defensive partner to get rid of grass and water types, because it can block the grass status moves and has enough bulk to tank out water types, but it's weak to Ice Beam, so I'm not sure how well it would hold up, given the current abundance of ice moves on water types. Pelipper is a more reliable defensive partner for Krok. It tanks grass, water, and ice moves all well, and can act as a pivot. Pelipper can also pair very well with Krok to push out Monferno and Leafeon because of the high bulk, synergy with Krok, and Krok's intimidate.

Hoped this helped a bit :)

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
krok runs an offensive SR set, so unfortunately most of those partners dont /really/ help out here. You could work with it like you do most suicide leads if that's more the niche it's fitting on your team, except with perhaps less pressure to have something that immediately beats defoggers since, unlike other leads like smeargle or venipede, it can actually prevent itself from getting removed on. For the general offensive SR type, it's going to want offensive water checks like yache leaf, monferno checks, and leafeon checks, but other than that one of its key advantages is that it's kind of weird to threaten offensively and in a situation where u can often straight sacrifice it, so I wouldnt worry about defensive synergy too much. Overall it's a funky mon to find partners to because of how weird it is to fit on a team right now (I haven't seen anything serious with it for a few metas) but I'd be looking at more how it supports other offensive mons than how you can try to support it because it carries a lot of weaknesses, mediocre bulk, and a poor speed tier, and you just arent going to handle every single threat to it and make a more offensive team.

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
How do you feel about the recent November drops in how they will shape the late-game meta and fit into the VR?

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
How do you feel about the recent November drops in how they will shape the late-game meta and fit into the VR?
Open-ended questions like this that are just intended to get opinions are much better suited to the PU room on Pokemon Showdown, where you can actually have a discussion about it. Otherwise there is a thread devoted to discussing the new drops, so feel free to browse that or provide your own opinions there if you'd like.

People think Vanilluxe sucks, but I've been toying with a mixed set on it, abusing Explosion and Ice Shard, for a few days. What do you guys think of Vanilluxe?

People think Vanilluxe sucks, but I've been toying with a mixed set on it, abusing Explosion and Ice Shard, for a few days. What do you guys think of Vanilluxe?
Considering that is the main set it should be using in general i'd hope some effect would happen.

In general Vanilluxe simply lacks a lot of value many ice-types bring to the table if it be Rotom-Fs powerful SubSplit/Wisp sets or scarf for a pivot.Lapras having perfect coverage in Hydro+Freeze Dry and acting as a solid tank,Cryogonals overall utility as a spinner with access to its very nice supportive move-pool. simply the list goes on and while Vanilluxe doesn't "suck" per say it is just hard to justify over the options available in most cases

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)