Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Monotype Edition

I was wondering if someone could help me make a monosteel team except with Aegislash, Mega Lucario, Mega Metagross and Mega Mawile legal. I've seen the sample teams and have tried to figure out what changes to make but it always ends up being swapping Mega Scizor out and nothing else. I'm not too familiar with Monotype but want to play monosteel casually with the above changes.

ShineeRockoo

Banned deucer.
I was wondering if someone could help me make a monosteel team except with Aegislash, Mega Lucario, Mega Metagross and Mega Mawile legal. I've seen the sample teams and have tried to figure out what changes to make but it always ends up being swapping Mega Scizor out and nothing else. I'm not too familiar with Monotype but want to play monosteel casually with the above changes.
If you want to find all POKEMON that are not this type of Pokemon, go look in the Pokemon tab of this link. This will show you all the avalible pokemon left.

ShineeRockoo

Banned deucer.
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say. I need help making a team, not finding Steel Pokemon.
Making a team, but not finding steel pokemon? Without the use, here's what I could get.
Oh, and genesect is COMPLETELY banned. (including Necrozma)
Sandslash-Alola @ Razor Claw
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Iron Defense
- Iron Head
- Metal Claw

Magnezone @ Hard Stone
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Rollout
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Iron Defense
- Metal Sound

Forretress @ Iron Plate
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 1 Spe
- Autotomize
- Hidden Power [Dragon]
- Gyro Ball
- Heavy Slam

Magneton @ King's Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Magic Coat
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave

Bronzong @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Brave Nature
- Calm Mind
- Gyro Ball
- Heavy Slam
- Rock Polish

Ferrothorn @ Metal Coat
Ability: Iron Barbs
Shiny: Yes
Sassy Nature
- Mirror Shot
- Metal Claw
- Iron Defense
- Leech Seed
This was the best I could do. If you need a revamp, let me know.
EDIT 1: This team is valid.

Making a team, but not finding steel pokemon? Without the use, here's what I could get.
Oh, and genesect is COMPLETELY banned. (including Necrozma)
Sandslash-Alola @ Razor Claw
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Iron Defense
- Iron Head
- Metal Claw

Magnezone @ Hard Stone
Sassy Nature
- Rollout
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Iron Defense
- Metal Sound

Forretress @ Iron Plate
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 1 Spe
- Autotomize
- Hidden Power [Dragon]
- Gyro Ball
- Heavy Slam

Magneton @ King's Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Magic Coat
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave

Bronzong @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
Brave Nature
- Calm Mind
- Gyro Ball
- Heavy Slam
- Rock Polish

Ferrothorn @ Metal Coat
Ability: Iron Barbs
Shiny: Yes
Sassy Nature
- Mirror Shot
- Metal Claw
- Iron Defense
- Leech Seed
This was the best I could do. If you need a revamp, let me know.
EDIT 1: This team is valid.
I'm really not sure what you are saying or doing anymore

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You don't have to base a Steel team based on the options recommended by a sample team, since sample teams are only reflective of what those kinds of teams are built of and how they fare in the current metagame. You can always start from scratch and add the pokemon you desire; In your case I'd recommend starting with Aegislash and the desired Mega Evolution of your choice. If you're looking for additional mons to fill a team, I'd advise looking at the Viability Rankings; it'll help you get a better sense of what is relevant and important for Steel teams to have.

If you also want a framework to build off of, take a look at this Monotype Ubers Steel team; it has your desired elements + Kartana with a description to boot: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/monotype-om-mega-thread.3600651/page-5#post-7844698

You don't have to base a Steel team based on the options recommended by a sample team, since sample teams are only reflective of what those kinds of teams are built of and how they fare in the current metagame. You can always start from scratch and add the pokemon you desire; In your case I'd recommend starting with Aegislash and the desired Mega Evolution of your choice. If you're looking for additional mons to fill a team, I'd advise looking at the Viability Rankings; it'll help you get a better sense of what is relevant and important for Steel teams to have.

If you also want a framework to build off of, take a look at this Monotype Ubers Steel team; it has your desired elements + Kartana with a description to boot: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/monotype-om-mega-thread.3600651/page-5#post-7844698
Thank you!

Maybe this isn't the right place to ask this question, but I was interested in using Ice-types in monotype and I just wanted to know what the place of it is in the metagame. I've always liked this typing, and I feel like it and bug are overall underappreciated types in the world of pokémon.

Maybe this isn't the right place to ask this question, but I was interested in using Ice-types in monotype and I just wanted to know what the place of it is in the metagame. I've always liked this typing, and I feel like it and bug are overall underappreciated types in the world of pokémon.
Unfortunately Ice is generally considered one of the worst types in monotype. The lack of good Pokemon to choose from and its weakness to common coverage like fire and rock makes it rather lacklustre. Don't let that discourage you from having fun with it though :)

Hello everyone!

how would you build a mono-fairy team to better face the fearsome poisonous walls?

Who would you use as a lead and how would you try to bring home the match?

Ridley

lofi hip hop radio - beats to relax/study to
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello everyone!

how would you build a mono-fairy team to better face the fearsome poisonous walls?

Who would you use as a lead and how would you try to bring home the match?
Hey Smogon Abuser!

Some sets you can use on Fairy to better deal with Poison teams are Mega Diancie with Diamond Storm and Psychic (can also run Earth Power) to blast through pretty much every mon on the Poison team, Jolly Z Belly Drum Azumarill with Return to outspeed and OHKO Mega Venusaur (and everything else) after some Spikes chip, Klefki for a poison immunity as well as for the previously mentioned Spikes to get some free chip damage on the opposing team as they switch in, and you can also run Life Orb Sub SD Zen Headbutt Tapu Bulu to break the poison defensive core.
There are also some non-standard options that can be used such as Knock Off Clefable to knock the berry off of Curse Recycle Muk-Alola, as well as Nasty Plot Togekiss to flinch down the defensive core on Poison.

You can usually lead with Mega Diancie fairly safely as it is a massive threat to every single mon on a poison team, and can fire off attacks or get up Stealth Rock (if not running rocks on Clefable). The goal should basically be to get up hazards, break through their defensive core a with your breakers (Mega Diancie, Tapu Bulu, etc.), then find a set up opportunity for Azumarill.

Here are some sample sets for the mons I described above:
Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock / Earth Power / Filler

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Return

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Spikes
- Foul Play / Thunder Wave

Clefable @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Guard / Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled / Moonlight (if Unaware)
- Moonblast
- Knock Off

Togekiss @ Babiri Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 84 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast / Thunder Wave / Heal Bell
- Roost

Tapu Bulu @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Zen Headbutt
- Substitute

You should also run a Tapu Koko on your team even though it doesn't benefit this specific match up, as it runs through popular types such as Flying and Water all on its own, and you can also run Mimikyu who is helpful in basically every match up if you would like.

Using a mix and match of the mons I have mentioned should add up to a solid and fun Fairy team that should give you a good shot to win that scary match up vs. Poison!

Last edited:
I was wondering if there's a Double Monotype of gen 7. Would be interested to see how much has changed since last gen.

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
I was wondering if there's a Double Monotype of gen 7. Would be interested to see how much has changed since last gen.
There is a [Gen 7] Monotype Doubles, it is a supported Monotype OM. Check out the full post here. This thread also has information regarding all other Monotype OMs.

Hi everyone! I'm totally new to this world. I decided to begin because I was intrigued By this format. To begin I read the "Beginners Guide" and so I begin to make some match on Showdown. Some with Water team, some with a Ground type. For the ground type one, I took one of the Sample Teams, with che core Ex-Down + Lando. I made circa 25-30 match and it feels good. I made a good amount of wins, either against a Water team while I'm using Ground, but whith many many difficulties. But for example I lose badly against an Ice Team. I didn't find how to adjust that match-up, not for the win, but at least to not lose 6-0. So my question is: in monotype format is possible to overthrow a bad matchup? Or there are some auto loss? And then, there is some type which is better for a beginner? Thank you all, and sorry if my english isn't too good, but unfortunatly it isn't my first language. Sorry again

DoW

formally Death on Wings
Hi everyone! I'm totally new to this world. I decided to begin because I was intrigued By this format. To begin I read the "Beginners Guide" and so I begin to make some match on Showdown. Some with Water team, some with a Ground type. For the ground type one, I took one of the Sample Teams, with che core Ex-Down + Lando. I made circa 25-30 match and it feels good. I made a good amount of wins, either against a Water team while I'm using Ground, but whith many many difficulties. But for example I lose badly against an Ice Team. I didn't find how to adjust that match-up, not for the win, but at least to not lose 6-0. So my question is: in monotype format is possible to overthrow a bad matchup? Or there are some auto loss? And then, there is some type which is better for a beginner? Thank you all, and sorry if my english isn't too good, but unfortunatly it isn't my first language. Sorry again
In monotype, you'll find that many matchups are winnable, and if you're using a type that's considered "good" by the community then normally you can expect any high-level (think: maybe 1500+ on the ladder) to be winnable, although you'll definitely sometimes end up playing at a disadvantage.

Much of the reason for this is that teams are designed for what's good at a high level. Ice is generally considered a weak type, because it can be good against a few types like flying and ground, but is basically an automatic loss against a good steel or fighting team, for example. Because of this, it's perfectly possible that sample teams will only have a few tools to deal with ice, because it's not really worth investing a lot of e.g. moveslots into a matchup that, if you're playing good players, you're not really likely to see.

So tl;dr if you're new to monotype, expect to have some tricky games where your opponent's using a team that's bad in general but happens to be good against you. But if you get good at the meta, that problem pretty much goes away, from my experience.

I’ve noticed that there’s a pretty decent amount of people using grass monotype teams in MPL V, so I’m wondering why is grass is more popular and receiving more usage compared to other lower tier types?

Apart from Greninja and the (I think) not so relevant M-Sharpedo, what are possible countermeasures for Dark-type teams against M-Venusaur?

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Apart from Greninja and the (I think) not so relevant M-Sharpedo, what are possible countermeasures for Dark-type teams against M-Venusaur?
There are a few ways Dark teams can deal with Mega Venusaur. For more balanced teams, crippling it with Mega Sableye's Will-O-Wisp can make it easier to wear down, trying to keep sand up when it wants to synthesis to reduce the amount it recovers, using taunt with mandibuzz to prevent it from using leech seed/synthesis, z draco hydreigon+taunt, and/or finally setting up curse on alolan muk. None of these really can persay ohko or 2hko Mega Venusaur but they will definetly help you wear it out in the long run. On more offensive dark teams there are a number of ways Dark teams can deal with Mega Venusaur such as Choice Specs boosted Draco Meteor Hydreigon, Dragon Dance+Z Stone Edge Tyranitar, SD+Z move Bisharp are a few more ways outside of Greninja and Psychic Fangs Mega Sharpedo that offensive darks can deal with it.

Which would you guys say is the most auto-lose type disadvantage matchup and which is the most balanced?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)