Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Monotype Edition

DoW

formally Death on Wings
I do like the idea of displaying multiple sets at different levels for Monotype, because the nature of the tier means there's relatively few pokemon to show on each type's rankings, and often they only refer to a single set, when in some cases others can also be used. It should be noted that currently, rankings are done on the viability of the best set only.

However, the negatives outweight the positives. For one thing, more sets and more pokemon ranked would require much more work to ensure it remained up-to-date as the metagame changed, especially as different sets came into and out of fashion, and I don't know if there would be enough experienced voices heard on all nominations. For another thing, the majority of pokemon in Monotype only have a single set that you should realistically be using. I have a strong feeling that this change would lead far more to people suggesting their favorite set for the ranking systems, even when it's far inferior to the presently-ranked sets. I also think it would be incredibly confusing for someone not used to our viability rankings to ctrl+f for hydreigon and get 4 different results, especially if all the results for Dark or Dragon said the same thing.

What are some similarities and differences between Monotype and OU, besides the obvious "Monotype is where you use a team made of Pokémon with all the same type, in OU you can have any type you want"?

What are some similarities and differences between Monotype and OU, besides the obvious "Monotype is where you use a team made of Pokémon with all the same type, in OU you can have any type you want"?
torkool has written two fantastic articles on this very topic. Check them out! They talk more about the individual Pokémon but should give you an idea of what is needed or unneeded between the tiers.

https://www.smogon.com/articles/pu-in-monotype

https://www.smogon.com/articles/monotype-not-good-enough

I have a question about a pokemon which is not in viability ? Why Emboar is not in the list of Monotype Fire or Fighting, however he could be a good Wallbreak or not ? After with the Band + the adamant nautre he can be viable but despite he have a low speed he can be in Wallbreaker list on Mono Fire or Fighting...

The Sample set:
Emboar @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
Ev: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Head Smash/Earthquake/Sucker Punch

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
I have a question about a pokemon which is not in viability ? Why Emboar is not in the list of Monotype Fire or Fighting, however he could be a good Wallbreak or not ? After with the Band + the adamant nautre he can be viable but despite he have a low speed he can be in Wallbreaker list on Mono Fire or Fighting...

The Sample set:
Emboar @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
Ev: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Head Smash/Earthquake/Sucker Punch
Emboar is not ranked on the viability rankings because it is too slow to serve as an effective wallbreaker like you said and therefore not viable. It’s overshadowed by better physical attackers on either type and therefore doesn’t have any merit into using it. If you want a fire/fighting type, you can run Infernape which has both the power and the speed to back it up as an offensive Pokemon, and can even run Choice Band effectively on Fire.

Hi everyone! I love bug type and some particular bugs. I've never really played competitively but am familiar with the tiers and some basics (not good at actual prediction or anything though).

First, let me say how awesome it is to have the sample teams. I thought i would be stepping into this whole world of battling completely blind, but its great that you are all so active and helpful. Thank you.

My question: I love beedrill but none of the sample teams have him (his mega form hopefully being a little viable), what is the best way to swap him in for a pokemon on any of the three lists? I know its sub-optimal but i reeeaally like him lol. If i am using him obviously mega-pinsir or mega-scissor would fall out, but Scissor is still decent right?

Thanks for any input,

-Gribbens

Hi everyone! I love bug type and some particular bugs. I've never really played competitively but am familiar with the tiers and some basics (not good at actual prediction or anything though).

First, let me say how awesome it is to have the sample teams. I thought i would be stepping into this whole world of battling completely blind, but its great that you are all so active and helpful. Thank you.

My question: I love beedrill but none of the sample teams have him (his mega form hopefully being a little viable), what is the best way to swap him in for a pokemon on any of the three lists? I know its sub-optimal but i reeeaally like him lol. If i am using him obviously mega-pinsir or mega-scissor would fall out, but Scissor is still decent right?

Thanks for any input,

-Gribbens
Well putting in Beedrill as you put it would be highly suboptimal as Beedrill Mega doesn't hold a candle to Mega Scizzor, Pinsir or Heracross…

Not like id suggest using Mega Beedrill but if you wanted to than I would suggest using a normal Scizor and heracross, but not a normal Pinsir. As Normal Scizor and Heracross are already quite good on their own (Pinsir is the one who really needs the mega to be viable)
Scizor can be run as a choice band with Knock off/ Super power/ Bullet punch/ Bug bite(or uturn) or as a Life orb mon with bullet punch/Swords dance/Roost/ other move (knock off, bug bite, aerial ace or Superpower are all solid choices)

Lastly Heracross is normally run as a Scarfed "Moxie cross" with Megahorn, Close combat, with its last two moves being a mix of either Stone edge/Earthquake and pursuit.

Of course Heracross can be swapped with Buzzwole if you prefer that (with it having a better move for flying with Ice punch but having lesser physical stab in Bug with no megahorn and instead it has Leech life....) but Scizor is highly recommended... especially with the top tier fairy type being a type you'll likely face a lot of

Last edited:
Greetings!
Is there any Teambuilding Compendium thread for Monotype? (the ones that mention the best Leads, Hazard setters, setup sweepers and all that good stuff).
I've been searching for it, but I honestly can't find it.

Is Blaziken a good choice for monotype fire team ? Which item should I use with it? I already have a mega: Mega Charlizard X. Though Blaziken offers speed advantage I am not sure about blaziken as it can't use close combat.

Is Blaziken a good choice for monotype fire team ? Which item should I use with it? I already have a mega: Mega Charlizard X. Though Blaziken offers speed advantage I am not sure about blaziken as it can't use close combat.
Mega Blaziken and Regular blaziken are both banned. Your best bet for a fire mega is Charizard X while Charizard Y is a second, generally worse option.

Ok. Thanks. I shall try with other double types like Volcanion, Infernape.
Infernape is a solic choice, Band set puts in lots of work against Rock, normally a tough matchup for Fire, but Volcanion sucks. It can’t actually do anything to most of the Water types it’s meant to check (bar Azumarill) and most can either use it as set up fodder or stall it out.

DoW

formally Death on Wings
Dark Monotype Team:
Shiftry @ Heat Rock
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sunny Day
- Explosion
- Tailwind
- Fake Out

Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Sunny Day
- Dark Pulse

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Roost

Mandibuzz @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Taunt
- Defog
- Foul Play

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Heal Bell
- Wonder Room
- Wish

Suggestions are appreciated.

Dark Monotype Team:
Shiftry @ Heat Rock
Ability: Chlorophyll
Adamant Nature
- Sunny Day
- Explosion
- Tailwind
- Fake Out

Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Sunny Day
- Dark Pulse

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Roost

Mandibuzz @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Taunt
- Defog
- Foul Play

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Heal Bell
- Wonder Room
- Wish

Suggestions are appreciated.
Hi, if you want your team to be rated and get some advice on it, you should check out the Rate My Team forum. Make sure to read the rules carefully, though! You'll need to describe each of the sets you've put on your team.

People have been talking about SubCM Blacephalon on Ghost. I assume it's the same set it runs in OU? Substitute, Calm Mind, Shadow Ball, Flamethrower? Do you think that set warrants an analaysis, or is it still too niche?

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
People have been talking about SubCM Blacephalon on Ghost. I assume it's the same set it runs in OU? Substitute, Calm Mind, Shadow Ball, Flamethrower? Do you think that set warrants an analaysis, or is it still too niche?
It's the same set but used with Fire Blast over Flamethrower. Anyways, I don't believe that set warrants an analysis at this point in time on the grounds that it hasn't seen much exposure at high level play, granted both of its typings individually are rather lackluster in the current meta. Additionally, the main niche of the set is to Substitute on Normal teams, CM up and sweep, but doesn't seem to find much premise elsewhere, considering its poor defenses and how common Dark, Water, and Flying teams are with more than a suitable amount of counters. It may be up for consideration in the future, but not right now afaik (other QC can chime in if I'm incorrect in my assumption).

How to counter fast Staraptor or any other super fast flying type with Brave-bird, while using a fighting type team ?? Scarf buzzwole with ice punch, mega gallade with usual moves are not very effective.

How to counter fast Staraptor or any other super fast flying type with Brave-bird, while using a fighting type team ?? Scarf buzzwole with ice punch, mega gallade with usual moves are not very effective.
(On phone, so excuse the autocorrects, if any)

Scarf Terrakion outspeeds any Staraptor and KOes it with Stone Edge, while Cobalion has good physical bulk and can use Thunder Wave to slow down those pesky theats, making it much easier for Fighting to handle.

Niche options include Focus Sash Infernape and Breloom, which can make good use of their Endeavor + Vacuum Wave or Rock Tomb + Mach Punch combo respectively (Spore is also nice). However, remember to make sure entry hazards are off from your side of the field, as their Focus Sash will be broken otherwise, leading them to a certain death.
Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Iron Head / Poison Jab

Cobalion @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Iron Fist
Timide Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Endeavor
- Vacuum Wave

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb

I guess Scarf Keldeo also works, but you'll need prior damage (from Brave Bird recoil or SR) to guarantee the KO.

Another fast Flying-type to consider, besides ScarfRaptor, is Hawlucha (which is much harder for Fighting to handle). Fortunately, both of them are rather uncommon on Monotype, and the most viable and common fast Flying-types usually don't even carry Flying-type STAB moves (M-Aerodactyl, Scarf Lando-T, Scarf Thundy-T, etc.).

Actually, the only one I can think of is Tornadus-T, which is handily checked by all the mons I've listed earlier (again, Infernape and Breloom need to be at full HP to take on Torn-T), bar Cobalion if Torn-T's Z-Crystal hasn't been used yet.

Hope this helped! Ü

(On phone, so excuse the autocorrects, if any)

Scarf Terrakion outspeeds any Staraptor and KOes it with Stone Edge, while Cobalion has good physical bulk and can use Thunder Wave to slow down those pesky theats, making it much easier for Fighting to handle.

Niche options include Focus Sash Infernape and Breloom, which can make good use of their Endeavor + Vacuum Wave or Rock Tomb + Mach Punch combo respectively (Spore is also nice). However, remember to make sure entry hazards are off from your side of the field, as their Focus Sash will be broken otherwise, leading them to a certain death.
Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Iron Head / Poison Jab

Cobalion @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Iron Fist
Timide Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Endeavor
- Vacuum Wave

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb

I guess Scarf Keldeo also works, but you'll need prior damage (from Brave Bird recoil or SR) to guarantee the KO.

Another fast Flying-type to consider, besides ScarfRaptor, is Hawlucha (which is much harder for Fighting to handle). Fortunately, both of them are rather uncommon on Monotype, and the most viable and common fast Flying-types usually don't even carry Flying-type STAB moves (M-Aerodactyl, Scarf Lando-T, Scarf Thundy-T, etc.).

Actually, the only one I can think of is Tornadus-T, which is handily checked by all the mons I've listed earlier (again, Infernape and Breloom need to be at full HP to take on Torn-T), bar Cobalion if Torn-T's Z-Crystal hasn't been used yet.

Hope this helped! Ü
Thanks.. I have scarf terrakion, but still I couldn't land a hit.. :( I should have saved replays of the two matches I lost for staraptor against flying type teams.. I think both of them had scarf staraptor, because it kept using brave bird repeatedly.
I have Cobalion with HP Ice for Gliscor or Garchomp starter.. I can try to change that.. or I can remove Cobalion and bring Infernape or Breloom in its place.. Breloom or Infernape is bit hard to fit in my team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)