Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Monotype Edition

Which would you guys say is the most auto-lose type disadvantage matchup and which is the most balanced?
I’d say electric - ground is one of the most one sided matchups on monotype, but in terms of “neutral” typing, I think Dragon vs Poison is very one sided too.

Which would you guys say is the most auto-lose type disadvantage matchup and which is the most balanced?
I would say when it comes to balance bug and fighting come to mind, as fighting fears pinsir mega while bug fears terrakion.

As for auto lose I would say ghost or dark vs psychic.

For ghost mimi can easily sweep most psychic mons while dark I would say Sharpedo mega can beat or one shot most psychic types (I’ve seen it one shot my deoxys defense) though electric vs ground is very tough too

How can a hyper offense Steel team beat a Water rain team? I can never seem to beat those Swift Swim sweepers.

Here is my team.
Ferrothorn and Jirachi are both helpful vs water teams. With proper setup (either Calm Mind or Happy Hour + Normalium Z), the latter can especially late game clean with the combination of Psychic and Thunderbolt.

How can a hyper offense Steel team beat a Water rain team? I can never seem to beat those Swift Swim sweepers.

Here is my team.
Rain is hard for offensive Steel builds, since you can't outspeed and nothing reasonable resists Water. I wouldn't go with Ferrothorn on a hyper offense team. Z-Happy Hour Jirachi is also still outsped by Mega Swampert and Seismitoad. If you run Calm Mind with Substitute, you still get checked easily by the faster threats of rain.

I would suggest using Autotomize Metronome Celesteela set with Air Slash and Giga Drain, which is pretty potent against Water if played right. Metronome lets you break Toxapex with Air Slash, and Giga Drain breaks almost all rain sweepers easily while giving you healing to get back up to full. Especially since Kingdra is on the down and isn't very used, Celesteela can be a great help.

Rain is hard for offensive Steel builds, since you can't outspeed and nothing reasonable resists Water. I wouldn't go with Ferrothorn on a hyper offense team. Z-Happy Hour Jirachi is also still outsped by Mega Swampert and Seismitoad. If you run Calm Mind with Substitute, you still get checked easily by the faster threats of rain.

I would suggest using Autotomize Metronome Celesteela set with Air Slash and Giga Drain, which is pretty potent against Water if played right. Metronome lets you break Toxapex with Air Slash, and Giga Drain breaks almost all rain sweepers easily while giving you healing to get back up to full. Especially since Kingdra is on the down and isn't very used, Celesteela can be a great help.
Ok, thanks for the advice! I’ll be sure to try out the Celesteela set.

On a side note, how can the hyper offense Steel team beat Kommo-o? A strategy to beat it without changing my team or sets would be preferred (but if necessary, team/set change tips are welcome). I ran into a team with Kommo-o recently, as shown in this replay.

Last edited:
hey so why isn't the monotype team bazaar open for replies? i wanted to share a team i made
The problem was people were posting actively bad sets that new players aren't experienced enough to understand how to use or why they were bad. As a result, we decided not to continue the project to avoid confusing users.

The problem was people were posting actively bad sets that new players aren't experienced enough to understand how to use or why they were bad. As a result, we decided not to continue the project to avoid confusing users.
but isnt the sample team thread for new players
i thought the bazaar was just for any kind of team difficult or easy

but isnt the sample team thread for new players
i thought the bazaar was just for any kind of team difficult or easy
Yes, but users do what users do, so seeing as the thread wasn't exactly full of useful discussion, it was axed. You can get help on a team using the Rate My Team section, or if you want to discuss your sets, the metagame discussion thread works as well.

Is Gallade viable on mono-psychic teams?
You can check our Viability Rankings to see what Pokemon are good on what types. Mega Gallade is A rank on the VR for Psychic teams, so it is considered one of the best options you can go for. Regular non-Gallade is... not great and I wouldn't recommend using it. It has some use cases and can do certain things that other Pokemon cannot, but for the most part, you should only use it if you know what you're doing.

I'm thinking of writing a Don't use That, Use This Instead article for Monotype about Pokemon that you really shouldn't use. I'm not talking about stuff like Druddigon and Vivillion, that has a miniscule niche but you are nearly always better using something else. I'm talking about Pokemon that players on the ladder spam despite the fact that they are worthless. So far I've got Mega Beedrill, Electivire and Mega Banette. So have you guys seen any utterly worthless Pokemon getting much more usage than they deserve?

Why is ladder not considered in vr
Because the ladder system can be abused by either scouting to get good matchups, or just consistently playing people that are worse than you. People can get very high on ladder using bad teams by outplaying weaker opponents. It’s not a good representation of how well a team is made because you aren’t always playing against the best players/teams. ELO systems generally work to promote how often you play, not how consistent you are against people of similar skill and knowledge

I was wondering how monotype's going to handle the limited amount of Pkm in gen 8. Will there be two options? One that is restricted to Galar's regional dex and the other allows any Pkm? Or will we just focus on the former and wait what happens next when a new edition comes out?

DYA

not a weeb
is a Community Contributor
I was wondering how monotype's going to handle the limited amount of Pkm in gen 8. Will there be two options? One that is restricted to Galar's regional dex and the other allows any Pkm? Or will we just focus on the former and wait what happens next when a new edition comes out?
In my opinion the meta will adapt, some forbidden Pokemons will rise to handle OP ones. And I don't see as a good option splitting Monotype in two, as already there is some hours where you take long to search opponent in ladder and 1900 fights 1500. Splitting the ladder will increase this issue

We are going to allow whatever is on cart, so we will have to do our best with the limited dex. The limited number of Pokémon is going to hurt compared to previous generations, but that’s the hand we’ve been dealt.

We are going to allow whatever is on cart, so we will have to do our best with the limited dex. The limited number of Pokémon is going to hurt compared to previous generations, but that’s the hand we’ve been dealt.
Hypothetically speaking, should the tier go into a decline (people dropping Monotype to play a different tier), what will be done? How will that scenario be handled?

I don’t think this will happen and I really hope it doesn’t happen, but it’s just a curious question.

Hypothetically speaking, should the tier go into a decline (people dropping Monotype to play a different tier), what will be done? How will that scenario be handled?

I don’t think this will happen and I really hope it doesn’t happen, but it’s just a curious question.
We can't force people to like things and interests change, nothing we can do about that. But if people leave mono for other tiers in masses because of something like "the tier sucks", something is very wrong with the people managing the tier and we'd be due for a change in leadership. For what it's worth, I trust that the current leaders will be able to maintain an enjoyable tier like they have this past gen.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)