Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 24 (READ THE OP)

If I'm EV training a low level pokemon, and am forced to switch it out in a battle while it's holding a power item; when i defeat the foe will it gain the same number of EVs as if it had defeated the foe by itself? or any at all?

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If I'm EV training a low level pokemon, and am forced to switch it out in a battle while it's holding a power item; when i defeat the foe will it gain the same number of EVs as if it had defeated the foe by itself? or any at all?
Yes. Unlike experience EVs aren't split between Pokemon.

I have both genies in my party and I am infront of the shrine and Landorus isn't appearing. The children already talked and ran away. Does he only appear in the day time?

Box trick

I have a lv. Salamance that Ive EV trained and want to use in the in-game pearl BT. The EVs have not taken effect and want them to. The box trick failed me. Are there any measures I should take to engage the stat changes or am I screwed?

Sophiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeesss... This isn't a Generation V threeeeeaaaaad! To answer your question anyway, I really don't know; I don't own any of the Generation V games. Serebii says nothing about what time of the day it needs to be, at least:

http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/legendary.shtml

I've also looked on YouTube; apparently, you didn't forget anything. I don't know what to say...

And... Cool Items Bro? The Box Trick isn't working? Huh... That's concerning... I wish I could help you with that, but this is all I could find, and it says the Box Trick is your only option. Sorry, bro.

http://www.psypokes.com/lab/evguide.php

Can you still EV-train when your Pokemon is at level 100?

Yes you can, but since the Pokemon can no longer level up, the stat will never increase due to EVs gained. How then, can one overcome this problem? The answer lies in the Box Trick. Suppose your Mewtwo gains 4 Speed EVs. To increase its Speed by 1, deposit Mewtwo in the PC, and withdraw it again. Its Speed will now be higher by 1 point. This is because the stats are recalculated each time you withdraw a Pokemon in the PC. However, this is a tedious process. You will have to repeat this procedure for every 4 EVs gained. As such, it is advisable to start EV training early so that you do not have to resort to this means to let your level 100 Pokemon gain stats.

I also checked Bulbapedia; it had little to add...

Lv 100 Pokemon

Sigh.. my brother wanted to make a Latias he got stronger. The Latias was Lv100, so he gave the berries that lower EVs in ATTACK, so he could give extra Sp.Atk to his Latias, but when he went to train, the Latias did NOT receive any EV after battling (he tried doing the box trick so the game would recalculate the EVs, but the Sp.Atk didn't rise). So here is the question: Can a Lv 100 Pokemon receive EVs? hfc2X 18:21, 18 May 2008 (UTC)
No, you can't EV train at 100. Tina☆♫ 18:29, 18 May 2008 (UTC)
What about in Generation III? I've heard many conflicting stories about Level 100 Pokémon in Generation III receiving/not receiving experience and EVs. Ultraflame 02:16, 19 May 2008 (UTC)
I'm positive that without actually leveling up, the Pokémon won't gain any EVs. I believe the previous versions allowed players to deposit a Pokémon into a storage box, then withdraw, which would re-count the EVs... but this isn't in Gen.III, I'm 99% sure. -- Jïörüjï Ðērākō.>.cнаt^ 03:52, 19 May 2008 (UTC)
And what about pokémon that I already use vitamins? I mean because if you use medicine on them until it gets to "It won't have any effect", can you still train them? hfc2X 19:53, 20 May 2008 (UTC)
Vitamins cap out at 100 EVs (10 EVs per item), so when the Vitamins stop working, there's still 155 EVs left that you can do in that stat.
In Gen.IV at least, I know Vitamins won't actually help you out training a level 100 Pokémon, if that's your question, since Vitamins grant EVs, and you'll need to level up to gain the effects. Just an FYI. -- Jïörüjï Ðērākō.>.cнаt^ 09:41, 21 May 2008 (UTC)
Eheh, he tried the box trick? That's only in the original Game Boys, not the Advance. So the trick won't work: 0.00000000000001% chance of it working. Good luck. Posted by the Θρtιmαtum♏Talk|Links09:45 21 May 2008
If this is any evidence for or against the idea, I once made a mistake in EV training my Donphan--It was Level 50 with 196/140 HP/Attack instead of the 197/141 I wanted. I deleted its EVs, re-trained it WITHOUT LEVELLING IT UP, and deposited it into the PC. Donphan is still Level 50 and now has 197/141 HP/Attack. Ultraflame 22:16, 21 May 2008 (UTC)
Which game were you playing exactly? -- Jïörüjï Ðērākō.>.cнаt^ 05:09, 22 May 2008 (UTC)
Sorry. It was Diamond. Ultraflame 22:46, 22 May 2008 (UTC)
The box trick works in Gen III too. I've done it many times, but just for fun because I know it's the same as leveling up. But I was wondering if you could do it with lv 100 pokemon too, because it's still possible with other pokemon. hfc2X 00:48, 23 May 2008 (UTC)

Also, no one's answering my question! Is it just that bad of a team it doesn't deserve any respect? I'm insulted! :P

I'm looking at the 4th gen Choice Specs Jolteon set. I don't understand why it has Baton Pass? I mean, Jolteon is already fast, and switching has the highest priority. The only thing I can see BP useful for is if you're trapped, or to pass stats.

~ Rafdog89

Baton Pass is for scouting actually, see what your opponent uses to switch into Jolteon, so you can use the appropriate move next time. Being a Choiced pokemon, Jolteon can easily become set-up bait if it's stuck in the wrong move. And since manually switching has a higher priority then Baton Pass, you get switch advantage as well which helps you get or keep the momentum.

So I just obtained my Zigzagoon with Extremespeed from Pokemon Box Ruby & Sapphire, and I was wondering: how the hell do I EV train without leveling up? The Zigzagoon is already a level 5 due to coming from a 3rd gen game, and I've already duplicated it (just in case) and am Pal Parking it right now. I'm just trying to figure out how to EV it up without leveling it up.

Obviously I'm going to use Vitamins, but what about the rest?

Also, on a side note, I cant breed Extremespeed onto another Zigzagoon, correct? I just want to make sure of this.

Edit: And how do I get Belly Drum on it? >_> It learns it at level 41. I cant breed to obtain Belly Drum, so it must be a tutor move or something.

Edit #2: And how come Linoone can have Gluttony along with Belly Drum & ExtremeSpeed but Zigzagoon cant?

~ Aether Nexus

In Ruby and Sapphire it's impossible to EV train without leveling up, as the EVs are added into a stat when a pokemon levels up.

Since Gluttony didn't exist in gen 3 it's not possible to get an ExtremeSpeed Zigzagoon with it. But if you evolve said Zigzagoon in a gen 4 or 5 game there is a small chance Linoone will have Gluttony. It's the same if you want to get something like Magic Guard Clefable with Seismic Toss (gen 3 move vs gen 4 ability).

In Ruby and Sapphire it's impossible to EV train without leveling up, as the EVs are added into a stat when a pokemon levels up.

Since Gluttony didn't exist in gen 3 it's not possible to get an ExtremeSpeed Zigzagoon with it. But if you evolve said Zigzagoon in a gen 4 or 5 game there is a small chance Linoone will have Gluttony. It's the same if you want to get something like Magic Guard Clefable with Seismic Toss (gen 3 move vs gen 4 ability).
Okay, so then how would I EV train my Zigzagoon in 4th gen? Because Zigzagoon's LC page has EV's listed.

There's a guide written up by RBG and it says that the Pokemon Box ExtremeSpeed Zigzagoon cant learn Belly Drum. Then why does the DP Zigzagoon have a Belly Drum set? Linoone is understandable, as it can level up to learn Belly Drum, but teaching it to Zigzagoon is confusing me.

~ Aether Nexus

I am looking for a tutor in BW OU, and I know there is battling 101 but I dont do PO. I am looking if there is anyone kind enough to spend their time and tutor me, because i would be extremely greatful :) Ps I can do Wi-fi

Is capture info from 3rd gen (i.e. met at Route 101 at level 5) lost when a Pokémon is transferred via Pal Park (since it doesn't appear on the status screen in 4th gen), or is it just hidden and can be examined with something like PokéCheck?

if I runaway from Lugia in SoulSilver, will it be there after I beat the elite four? just like what happens if you were to run away from Sudowoodo? Reason I ask because Lugia is a far superior event pokemon than Sudowoodo, thinking it wouldn't be there after I beat the elite four.

Yeah, when you beat the Elite Four again, Lugia will re-apear (if you ran away from it that is, not if you caught it).

Is capture info from 3rd gen (i.e. met at Route 101 at level 5) lost when a Pokémon is transferred via Pal Park (since it doesn't appear on the status screen in 4th gen), or is it just hidden and can be examined with something like PokéCheck?
A gen 3 pokemon transfered to gen 4 will not say it's exact capture location, but it will say "Kanto" or "Hoenn" instead.

A gen 3 pokemon transfered to gen 4 will not say it's exact capture location, but it will say "Kanto" or "Hoenn" instead.
I know that "Kanto" or "Hoenn" is all it will show, but I'm wondering if the specific capture information is still there, only hidden (and can be examined with something like PokéCheck).

I have few 3rd Gen pokes in PokeCheck, but they are sent to Pokecheck from 5th Gen. But it shows only region and hatched/met at PokeTransfer. So information probaply just disappears.

I recently began to chain shinies in Diamond again in hopes of FINALLY finding a shiny while chaining. After I've chained a Pokemon 40 times and proceed to reset the Pokeradar numerous times, approximately how long will it take for a shiny patch to appear? After half an hour of a chain at 43, I never saw a shiny patch.

Tolan

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I recently began to chain shinies in Diamond again in hopes of FINALLY finding a shiny while chaining. After I've chained a Pokemon 40 times and proceed to reset the Pokeradar numerous times, approximately how long will it take for a shiny patch to appear? After half an hour of a chain at 43, I never saw a shiny patch.
It depends. After 40 it's a 1-in-8 chance (?) of a shiny patch appearing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)