Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (IRC edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrp

Banned deucer.
Have any general questions about #pokemon or any of the other Smogon-affiliated IRC channels? Do you need help with any IRC or client-related problems? You can ask in this thread for assistance. Make sure to search the thread before asking any general questions that might have already been answered.

For setting up clients, we have several onsite guides.
Currently, we have guides for Colloquy, Linkinus, mIRC, and mobile devices.

If you are having issues connecting with a specific client, please post which client you are using and what error you are getting so that we can best help you.

what are IRC promotions mainly based on and when do they happen? quality/quantity of discussion or both? and when they do is it a single SOp's decision or do they discuss it with other staff? or do they wait a while and do users in batches. this has never been completely clear to me

jrp

Banned deucer.
what are IRC promotions mainly based on and when do they happen? quality/quantity of discussion or both? and when they do is it a single SOp's decision or do they discuss it with other staff? or do they wait a while and do users in batches. this has never been completely clear to me

For promotions, we as a staff discuss the merits of specific users and the reasons behind why they would play a good role in whichever level they're being recommended for. Promotions generally mix quality and quantity - activity alone doesn't SPECIFICALLY earn a promotion, but having a high quality user that's extremely inactive generally means that you won't get promoted until you increase your activity.

In a nutshell, a healthy mix of activity and good presence is a great way to gain promotions on #pokemon

Promotions do occur in clusters though, yes

jrp

Banned deucer.
That's likely an issue with your client. What are you trying to connect with?

jrp

Banned deucer.
It might be something as simple as typo in the setup of synirc or it could be a firewall blocking the connection. Do you have any antivirus or firewall software that would inhibit a connection?

i use windows 8 so my antivirus is windows defender(it works as antivirus in windows 8 too), now if the problem is firewall what should i do?

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
if it's a firewall problem you can probably fix it by forwarding the ports, but you need administrating access to your firewall, and idk what ports mirc uses (the standard port for IRC is 6667, iirc).

if the idea of port forwarding is foreign to you then see above post

jrp

Banned deucer.
are you able to connect with mibbit? If you're able to get on through a browser client there might be an error in your set up.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
uh idk about "forum", you'd need a lot of tournaments to justify its own section - i'm open to threads though. if you want to host some kind of casual cup/series on #pokemon just let us know and we'll get back to you asap. ofc the tournaments section has their own thing going on (which you might want to host on #pokemon, idk) but again, if you want to do something live with more than a few people in it, don't hesitate to ask

we also have one casual live tournament of our own (LNT) on its second series so things like that are open for business

I can't access the QDB. Every time I try to access a part of the QDB that isn't intro page, it says the page doesn't exist. Proof: http://i.imgur.com/TbKwMCc.png
Is this temporary, and if so, when will it come back. If it's just me, how can I access the QDB? If it's permanently and intentionally deleted... please don't let it be ;_;

QDB is currently down. I'm guessing it was tied to VB like the SCMS was, which would cause it to go down with the switch to XenForo. Hopefully it'll get fixed sometime soon. For now, just be patient as we transition to the new forums~

Welcome to Smogon, btw ^.^

So I followed the guide up to the part where you add the server synIRC and click Ok, then click on the lightning bolt. For some reason I get connected to a server called Swift IRC. Foolish to think that was the correct one, I followed the rest of the guide and did not get anywhere as a result.

Any suggestions on how to proceed to here?

I'm using the mIRC for Windows. But I got it to work last night. It turns out there's another way to connect to the server by typing in /server irc.syinirc.net and then joining the channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)