Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Flying Press Edition

What is a way to contribute around here?
The most obvious way is probably writing, which you can learn more about here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/how-to-write-an-article-for-smogons-flying-press.3558587/

Gonna just copy / paste the part about artists, coders, and editors from the FAQ:

How do I become an art contributor?
Post a thread here with your work: http://www.smogon.com/forums/link-forums/artist-approvals.299/

How do I become a HTMLer?
Post a thread here outlining your past history with HTML and Programming: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/html-approvals.342/

How can I become a GPer?
Check out these threads: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/spelling-and-grammar-standards.3490681/ and http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/grammar-prose-workshop-v2.3537543/

If you're bilingual, the Translation forum right underneath this one works closely with us to release our content in various languages.

There's also the Puzzle Page; shoot a PM to The Dutch Plumberjack and Quite Quiet if you're interested in helping with that.

The last way is through Quality Control, which is a position offered to knowledgeable, active battlers. There's not really a formal way to apply for the role, though, and they're only added on a need basis.

The most obvious way is probably writing, which you can learn more about here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/how-to-write-an-article-for-smogons-flying-press.3558587/

Gonna just copy / paste the part about artists, coders, and editors from the FAQ:

How do I become an art contributor?
Post a thread here with your work: http://www.smogon.com/forums/link-forums/artist-approvals.299/

How do I become a HTMLer?
Post a thread here outlining your past history with HTML and Programming: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/html-approvals.342/

How can I become a GPer?
Check out these threads: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/spelling-and-grammar-standards.3490681/ and http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/grammar-prose-workshop-v2.3537543/

If you're bilingual, the Translation forum right underneath this one works closely with us to release our content in various languages.

There's also the Puzzle Page; shoot a PM to The Dutch Plumberjack and Quite Quiet if you're interested in helping with that.

The last way is through Quality Control, which is a position offered to knowledgeable, active battlers. There's not really a formal way to apply for the role, though, and they're only added on a need basis.
Thank you :)

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Is there a step by step 'tutorial' for articles? I am relatively new to writing stuff for The Flying Press and I am not too comfortable with whether or not I'm doing well.
Someone PMd me today saying I have to post my article in a grammar thread which I don't remember from the first article I ever wrote. I was told that my article was ready for Grammar so I edited the tag. Do I need to do anything more than that?

I think a step by step walkthrough would help more people than just me.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Is there a step by step 'tutorial' for articles? I am relatively new to writing stuff for The Flying Press and I am not too comfortable with whether or not I'm doing well.
Someone PMd me today saying I have to post my article in a grammar thread which I don't remember from the first article I ever wrote. I was told that my article was ready for Grammar so I edited the tag. Do I need to do anything more than that?

I think a step by step walkthrough would help more people than just me.
not that it's a big enough deal that they should have PMed you about it, but: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/writing-an-article-the-process.3564613/

I don't know if this is the best place to ask this question, but it seemed like the safest so I don't break any rules. If it is my dream to become a writer, have decent pokemon exposure, and am eloquent and good with words, where do I sign up? Or do I just choose a topic, write it, submit it and hope it gets chosen? And if so, where? I am sorry, I am new to this area of smogon, but I can't wait to jump in and want to know the best place to do so because writing is my passion. If there is some thread or post out there that I missed the explains all of this and more, I apologize for that, but would like to know where it is.

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
I don't know if this is the best place to ask this question, but it seemed like the safest so I don't break any rules. If it is my dream to become a writer, have decent pokemon exposure, and am eloquent and good with words, where do I sign up? Or do I just choose a topic, write it, submit it and hope it gets chosen? And if so, where? I am sorry, I am new to this area of smogon, but I can't wait to jump in and want to know the best place to do so because writing is my passion. If there is some thread or post out there that I missed the explains all of this and more, I apologize for that, but would like to know where it is.
Oh boy your so innocent and young.

Well first off if you'd like to write and article regarding a tier or a metagame it's best to ask that tier/metas respected forum moderators first and then if given a yes on their behalf you should submit an article to article submissions. There is a submission outline that I won't bother looking for rn because I'm on mobile. I hope this sort of helped you.

EDIT
Oh nvm it's right here http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/writing-an-article-the-process.3564613/

To quote the Writing An Article: The Process thread, "There are no real set number of QC posts needed before proceeding to the next step; however, before moving to Grammar stage, make sure you have at least one QC approval and leave the thread in this stage open for at least three days". If a WIP thread has been open, for say, nine days, and there is no feedback from tagged QC members, is there something wrong with the thread, or is it possible that it needs more work from the poster before it can be changed by QC? And if QC has nothing to say, is there a maximum amount of time that it can lay there before it is either taken down or simply moved to GP?

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
To quote the Writing An Article: The Process thread, "There are no real set number of QC posts needed before proceeding to the next step; however, before moving to Grammar stage, make sure you have at least one QC approval and leave the thread in this stage open for at least three days". If a WIP thread has been open, for say, nine days, and there is no feedback from tagged QC members, is there something wrong with the thread, or is it possible that it needs more work from the poster before it can be changed by QC? And if QC has nothing to say, is there a maximum amount of time that it can lay there before it is either taken down or simply moved to GP?
sometimes the QCers might miss the alerts or they see them during a time they can't answer and they forget. which is why i recommend joining the discord server for those who have access to Media HQ and tagging the respective QCers there.

lotiasite

undedgy
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
In general, youll need at least one qc check before moving to gp, and i also suggest changing the thread tag to Quality Control so that others know that it is ready for qc. Like ant said, joining the discord is a good idea because you can talk to the qcers about your article in real time. You can also retag them if you feel that it is necessary

In general, youll need at least one qc check before moving to gp, and i also suggest changing the thread tag to Quality Control so that others know that it is ready for qc. Like ant said, joining the discord is a good idea because you can talk to the qcers about your article in real time. You can also retag them if you feel that it is necessary
Don't have discord :( but I will change the title, thank you ant and lotiasite

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
With competitive analysis articles (like RMT showcases, Pokemon Spotlights, playstyle analysis, etc) is the use of replays allowed in order to demonstrate a point?

Does anyone have tips on how to make a teambuilding guide less repetitive? My Co-Writer and I would like to avoid discussing mons, their sets, and how to check them; and vary from the usual.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Are articles about in-game stuff allowed/wanted atm (I know it's a silly question but :()? If yes, what would be theoritically the most appropriate QC team to tag if I had an in-game article approved

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
If I wanted to write an article about a PS! room I'm part of (not room spotlight where I'm not really part of it) would I need to seek someone (particularly ROs)'s permission. I would feature RO interviews anyways but want to make sure I'm up to date with whatever needs to be done before subbing it/starting to write it.

Just discovering this thread, I was simply wondering if there is a place to submit proposals for articles. Not necessarily written by the one who proposes but rather so that the more experienced editors can choose from the multitude of topics proposed. Example: I would like to see an article on unviables BL mons in the upper tier (such as Breloom in OU or Sawk in NU) but lacking good writing skills, an "official editor" can write on this topic if he is interested.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
Just discovering this thread, I was simply wondering if there is a place to submit proposals for articles. Not necessarily written by the one who proposes but rather so that the more experienced editors can choose from the multitude of topics proposed. Example: I would like to see an article on unviables BL mons in the upper tier (such as Breloom in OU or Sawk in NU) but lacking good writing skills, an "official editor" can write on this topic if he is interested.
In the workshop (where the articles are made) there is a thread with ideas that you can claim to write (if you have access). You can PM The Dutch Plumberjack to get your idea there

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
Uh since this isn't related to my previous post as such I will double post (so excuse me for that) but is there any requirement for someone to have more than 1 article at the same time (as in work on them). For example, I have currently solely 1 article, which is in GP as such I believe I can dedicate enough time and attention to a 2nd article.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)