Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (CAP V. 3.0 READ THE OP!)

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
How do I submit a CAP?
Just for clarification: no individual person "submits a CAP."

We are a community project that follows a step-by-step process where each element of a pokemon is broken up into concept, typing, ability, stats, and moveset. These elements are then voted on by the community.

Concept is the overarching idea for a given project. Once leadership has been elected, concept submissions will open for users to suggest the type of mechanics/playstyles we should consider exploring. Leadership will then create a slate of 5-8 options that will then be polled. Note that concepts cannot dictate typing, abilities, stats, and full movesets.

Typing, ability, stats, and movesets will each have discussions before submissions open. Each discussion will cover how these elements can/will help us accomplish the goal established by the concept.

CAP 32 will be starting soon. Following a project in progress will help with understanding how we work, so keep an eye out for that.

Just for clarification: no individual person "submits a CAP."

We are a community project that follows a step-by-step process where each element of a pokemon is broken up into concept, typing, ability, stats, and moveset. These elements are then voted on by the community.

Concept is the overarching idea for a given project. Once leadership has been elected, concept submissions will open for users to suggest the type of mechanics/playstyles we should consider exploring. Leadership will then create a slate of 5-8 options that will then be polled. Note that concepts cannot dictate typing, abilities, stats, and full movesets.

Typing, ability, stats, and movesets will each have discussions before submissions open. Each discussion will cover how these elements can/will help us accomplish the goal established by the concept.

CAP 32 will be starting soon. Following a project in progress will help with understanding how we work, so keep an eye out for that.
Thanks

Wulfanator

Would it be ok to resubmit a concept?
Resubmitting concepts is fairly common. In the past, some users have gone through old submission threads and resubmitted concepts that missed out during polling. If the concept being resubmitted was your own, you are welcome to resubmit. If the previous submitter is still active in the community, it is a good idea to get permission from them before resubmitting their ideas. Regardless, be sure to credit the original user.

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
There's a lot of link rot in older CAP final product posts, with a lot of art and spritesheets being missing. Additionally, the old CAP page on the Smogon website is in a broken state.

Is there a new repository for images of these CAPs, and will there be any action to restore the images to the final product posts?
Official art can be found here

Restoration of dead links sounds like a ton of work and I bet a good amount of stuff is largely lost to time. I don't think there is any interest in upkeeping long-abandoned threads.

As for the old page, it would be more worthwhile to have a different hub like that using a better foundation. I would be interested in helping get a better directory up to help explain each CAP at some point, but it would take time.

Wulfanator

Just to be clear, would a hypothetical concept submission revolving around distributing custom CAP moves/abilities to a new CAP be legal or against the rules?
Is it legal because it's using only moves and abilities available in SV (CAP format) or is it against the rules because CAP abilities don't technically exist in SV itself?

Just to be clear, would a hypothetical concept submission revolving around distributing custom CAP moves/abilities to a new CAP be legal or against the rules?
Is it legal because it's using only moves and abilities available in SV (CAP format) or is it against the rules because CAP abilities don't technically exist in SV itself?
It would be against the rules, yes. This includes removed moves.

I have a question about the ranked choice voting system:
Suppose that I actively dislike an option on a poll. I don't just not prefer it, I actively want to use my vote to hurt its standing as much as possible.
Would I be better off ranking every available option and putting my disliked option at the bottom, or not including it at all by only ranking a subset of the options?

Wulfanator

I have a question about the ranked choice voting system:
Suppose that I actively dislike an option on a poll. I don't just not prefer it, I actively want to use my vote to hurt its standing as much as possible.
Would I be better off ranking every available option and putting my disliked option at the bottom, or not including it at all by only ranking a subset of the options?
Everything you do not vote for gets treated as equal preference.

If you had a poll with A B C D E as your options and you only voted for A then B, your ballot would be treated as A>B>C=D=E. If you really didn't like this hypothetical option C, you would want to rank everything.

With the art submissions post up (but locked for now) I figured I'd ask what came of a conversation a bit ago about art submissions and ability submissions/polling. There was discussion around how having abilities confirmed late into the art process puts undue pressure on artists to wait until the last minute for their designs to match up with one/both abilities and so moving around due dates was talked about. Had any conclusion been reached?

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
With the art submissions post up (but locked for now) I figured I'd ask what came of a conversation a bit ago about art submissions and ability submissions/polling. There was discussion around how having abilities confirmed late into the art process puts undue pressure on artists to wait until the last minute for their designs to match up with one/both abilities and so moving around due dates was talked about. Had any conclusion been reached?
Yep! A conclusion was reached in this PRC thread. Art now closes 48 hours after stats are determined, which is reflected in the updated art submissions OP here.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Malaconda was basically denied anything out of line with its very specific role of Pursuit trapper/spinner support for sun teams. This is the same reason it was denied stuff that seems logical for a Harvest user, like Natural Gift. Malaconda was not meant to be a set-up sweeper, especially since Coil fits its spread very well, so no Coil. Context is important here, since Malaconda was the CAP immediately after the game-breaking mess of Aurumoth, it was very restrained and focused as a result.

Malaconda was basically denied anything out of line with its very specific role of Pursuit trapper/spinner support for sun teams. This is the same reason it was denied stuff that seems logical for a Harvest user, like Natural Gift. Malaconda was not meant to be a set-up sweeper, especially since Coil fits its spread very well, so no Coil. Context is important here, since Malaconda was the CAP immediately after the game-breaking mess of Aurumoth, it was very restrained and focused as a result.
Is it possible that Malaconda's movepool will be given Coil at some point in the future?
Also, why does Venomicon have Coil?

Lasen

smiling through it all
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Is it possible that Malaconda's movepool will be given Coil at some point in the future?
CAP is primarily a competitive project and looks at flavor second; the problems that Malaconda has would NOT be fixed by Coil in the slightest so while we're not ruling it out completely, it's not looking good for the snake.

Also, why does Venomicon have Coil?
If you're asking how a book coils: Just like most CAP processes, we did not have the artwork chosen for a while we ruminated about movepools. It also ties in to what we brought up earlier: competitive first, flavor second.
If you're asking the reasoning it was even added to the final movepool: Coil was added and no one batted an eye- we had access to Swords Dance at the time and surely no one would run Coil on a special set, so the move boosting defense and accuracy, while good, was completely overshadowed by Swords Dance. When we eventually realized that Swords Dance Venomicon-E was too much and removed it, we still believed that Coil giving CAP 30i a boosting option so it wouldn't be a sitting duck vs. the likes of Toxapex and Slowbro would be fine. So it stayed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)