Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (CAP V. 3.0 READ THE OP!)

Lasen

smiling through it all
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
At what point did the community decide against custom abilities and moves? What was the rationale used?
I cannot pinpoint the exact moment or time where it happened but it was in generation V; GameFreak had been adding more and more abilities every generation, but BW took it to a whole new level with the introduction of Dream World abilities. With that in mind and CAP becoming way more focused, the project leaders at the time realized that trying to add theoretical abilities that seem "balanced" at one point only for them to be overshadowed by power creep a single generation later (see: Rebound vs Magic Bounce) and also the abundance of options at hand made it difficult to justify continuing down the path of "I'll just make a custom". In fact, even at the end of generation 4, we were seeing CAPs with zero custom elements in Cyclohm, Pyroak, and Krilowatt.

Last edited:

spoo

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
A big goal of CAP is to learn more about competitive Pokemon as a game. By definition, custom elements aren't in the game. So by introducing customs, we aren't learning much about Pokemon –– we're learning about our own manufactured version of it. (Note that while all CAPs are custom elements themselves, their existence is unavoidable; additional custom elements are.)

You could argue that customs are still situationally educational for answering certain "what-ifs" about the metagame (in the case of Colossoil, how important are secondary effects and their users in DPP? how would the tier change if new counterplay was introduced?), and I think this is mostly true. But as Lasen alluded to, Gamefreak introduces more and more competitive elements with every new generation, with a particularly big explosion seen in Gen 5. At a certain point, we had more than enough tools to work with already. Customs just became unnecessary when we could now accomplish what we wanted to do using preexisting options. Once we explore every last thing that Pokemon has to offer, then maybe we will turn back to custom elements, but this will probably never happen.

There is also the fact that custom elements make CAP more inaccessible to newer players. Raising the bar of entry into the metagame is something we try to avoid whenever possible. Lastly, some people (myself included) believe that customs are poor optics and de-legitimize the project. Customs give off a sort of fangame-y vibe that we do our best to say away from; this is a competitive project first and foremost, not a space for introducing unpredictable, unnecessary elements into the game just because we thought they might be fun and cool.

is there a place I can view all the artwork for previous (and the current) CAPs that was submitted/voted on? I remember something like that existing for others when I browsed, but that was over a year ago.

is there a place I can view all the artwork for previous (and the current) CAPs that was submitted/voted on? I remember something like that existing for others when I browsed, but that was over a year ago.
If you're thinking about a gallery specifically of the artwork, there isn't one. You could however head to the Process Archive and search for the Art Polls & Submissions.
There actually is one! Look here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1erKta8vi0cdaIsOcYqzfe9rzYIbIf1wS

Hey sorry I have another question, so about egg moves in a move pool, it says "An egg move must be able to be passed on through the breeding group of Pokémon eligible to be caught and carry the move in Sword and Shield", is the Sword and Shield part outdated or does it actually need to be based on SwSh instead of Scarlet and Violet?

I get that I more was asking if pokemon that are in SwSh but not SV could be included in the egg move list as a compatible pokemon and vice versa for pokemon in SV but not SwSh, and I'm still unsure about that. Sorry that I wasn't clear on that.

Last edited:

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
I get that I more was asking if pokemon that are in SwSh but not SV could be included in the egg move list as a compatible pokemon and vice versa for pokemon in SV but not SwSh, and I'm still unsure about that. Sorry that I wasn't clear on that.
Movepools are built as if the CAP mon could be found on cartridge for the current generation. You're asking if a pokemon that has no ability to interact with a gen 9 mon can pass it moves? Then the answer to that is no. Also, gen 9 introduced the Mirror Herb which negates a lot of the need to list specific compatible parents. Like Qwilfish can get Self-Destruct as an egg move despite it sharing no egg groups with mons that get access to the move.

For evolved Pokémon, the first four moves listed in the pre-evolution's level-up movepool are always listed in the same order but at level 1 instead of their corresponding level
Baby Pokémon (I checked Cleffa, Happiny, and Pichu) appear to be an exception to this rule: all moves learned by the baby are learned at level 1 by the stage 2, but the moves the baby learns at level 1 are listed near the end of the stage 2's level 1 moves, with all of the baby's other level-up moves listed in order at the beginning of the stage 2's level 1 moves. Can we follow this precedent for CAP32, or do we need to stick to "the first four moves...in the same order" as stated in the style guide?

Baby Pokémon (I checked Cleffa, Happiny, and Pichu) appear to be an exception to this rule: all moves learned by the baby are learned at level 1 by the stage 2, but the moves the baby learns at level 1 are listed near the end of the stage 2's level 1 moves, with all of the baby's other level-up moves listed in order at the beginning of the stage 2's level 1 moves. Can we follow this precedent for CAP32, or do we need to stick to "the first four moves...in the same order" as stated in the style guide?
I looked at these pokemon and I'm not sure what you're seeing, they all seem to follow the rule in the most recent game they've been in. (sv for pichu and happiny, swsh for clefa)

I looked at these pokemon and I'm not sure what you're seeing, they all seem to follow the rule in the most recent game they've been in. (sv for pichu and happiny, swsh for clefa)
According to Bulbapedia, these are the first four moves Pichu learns in Gen 9, in order:
Thunder Shock
Tail Whip
Play Nice
Sweet Kiss
And these are all the moves Pikachu learns at level 1 in Gen 9, in order, with the above four moves highlighted:
Play Nice
Sweet Kiss

Nuzzle
Nasty Plot
Charm
Thunder Shock
Tail Whip

Growl
Quick Attack
The first four moves Pichu learns are all listed at level 1 for Pikachu, but they do not appear in the same order for Pikachu as they do for Pichu.

Pikachu's moves are ordered such that a level 1 Pikachu will have all of the moves Pichu learns at level 1, plus 2 filler moves, while all the other moves Pichu learns are placed at the beginning of Pikachu's learnset (so Pikachu can only learn them from the Move Relearner). Chansey and Clefairy follow almost the same pattern.

According to Bulbapedia, these are the first four moves Pichu learns in Gen 9, in order:

And these are all the moves Pikachu learns at level 1 in Gen 9, in order, with the above four moves highlighted:

The first four moves Pichu learns are all listed at level 1 for Pikachu, but they do not appear in the same order for Pikachu as they do for Pichu.

Pikachu's moves are ordered such that a level 1 Pikachu will have all of the moves Pichu learns at level 1, plus 2 filler moves, while all the other moves Pichu learns are placed at the beginning of Pikachu's learnset (so Pikachu can only learn them from the Move Relearner). Chansey and Clefairy follow almost the same pattern.
After looking at more pokemon I was actually mistaken about how the style guide rule, my mistake, in that case you would be correct about the exception because the baby pokemon I used as references (Igglybuff and Toxel) follow the same exception (this is actually why I was confused about this), though I'm not sure if you would be able to follow this precedent for CAP32, I am sorry about the error on my part.

Can I reply to a message I posted earlier in a thread to signify I've significantly updated it or would this be considered spamming the thread? (I'm specifically talking about move pool WIP updates.)

So I've seen mentions of a discord, is there a place I could join it? (I know there's an invite on page 43 but when I clicked on it it said it was invalid)

Question regarding fanworks (I know, I know): for a hypothetical CAP region, I went with the assumption that if we become a game, it's unlikely that we'll have two versions, (and that any CAP box legend framework we do would probably have one mon, realistically speaking), so would it be alright if I change some of our Trade evolutions (Strategem, Kitsunoh) from trade to using a Linking Cord or exposure to the item, ala PLA?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)