Pokémon Articuno-Galar

Articuno-Galar

Base stats: 90 HP / 85 Atk / 85 Def / 125 SpA / 100 SpD / 95 Spe
Ability: Competitive (This Pokemon's Special Attack is raised by 2 stages for each of its stat stages that is lowered by an opposing Pokemon.)

Moveset:
Level-Up
1-Gust
1-Psycho Shift
5-Confusion
10-Reflect
15-Hypnosis
20-Agility
25-Ancient Power
30-Tailwind
35-Psycho Cut
40-Recover
45-Freezing Glare
50-Dream Eater
55-Hurricane
60-Mind Reader
65-Future Sight
70-Trick Room

TMs and TRs
TM06 Fly
TM08 Hyper Beam
TM09 Giga Impact
TM17 Light Screen
TM18 Reflect
TM21 Rest
TM24 Snore
TM25 Protect
TM26 Scary Face
TM30 Steel Wing
TM39 Facade
TM40 Swift
TM44 Imprison
TM56 U-turn
TM60 Power Swap
TM61 Guard Swap
TM69 Psycho Cut
TM70 Trick Room
TM76 Round
TM95 Air Slash
TR11 Psychic
TR12 Agility
TR20 Substitute
TR25 Psyshock
TR26 Endure
TR27 Sleep Talk
TR33 Shadow Ball
TR34 Future Sight
TR40 Skill Swap
TR42 Hyper Voice
TR49 Calm Mind
TR66 Brave Bird
TR82 Stored Power
TR83 Ally Switch
TR89 Hurricane

Move Tutors:
Dual Wingbeat
Expanding Force

Notable Moves:
Freezing Glare (signature)
Calm Mind
Recover
Hurricane
Air Slash
U-Turn
Shadow Ball
Agility
Light Screen
Reflect

Freezing Glare:
| 90 BP | 100% Accuracy | Special | Does Not Make Contact | 16 max PP | 10% chance to freeze the target

Pros:
+It has a great stat distribution highlighted by a high Special Attack.
+Its offensive typing notably allows it to hit Regenerator cores super-effectively.
+The combination of Calm Mind and Recover makes Galarian Articuno a great setup sweeper.
+Its ability Competitive allows it to gain free Special Attack boosts from Defoggers and the omnipresent Landorus-T.

Cons:
-It has no coverage for Steel-types outside of Shadow Ball. This makes it hard for Galarian Articuno to take advantage of Steel-type Defoggers such as Corviknight and Skarmory.
-Its typing gives it unfortunate weaknesses to common types such as Rock, Dark, and Ghost.
-Its Speed falls short from allowing it to offensively check key threats such as Urshifu.

Potential Sets:

Calm Mind Sweeper
Articuno-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Freezing Glare
- Calm Mind
- Hurricane
- Recover

This set functions as an set-up sweeper while also acting as a deterrent on the tier's Defoggers. Recover gives Articuno longevity, allowing it set up multiple time throught the game. Articuno's offensive typing allows it to sweep through some of the tier's premier defensive Pokémon such as Toxapex, Tangrowth, and Amoonguss. Galarian Articuno has a hard time breaking through healthy Steel-type Pokemon so teammates that can break through them such as Urshifu and Magnezone are appreciated. Galarian Articuno is prone to Dark-types which usually carry Sucker Punch to end Articuno's sweep. Dark-type checks such as Clefable, Mandibuzz, and Galarian Zapdos make good teammates. Urshifu and Galarian Zapdos are also notable for breaking through Chansey, a Pokemon that walls this set.

Choice Specs
Articuno-Galar @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freezing Glare
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Shadow Ball

This set fits on offensive teams that need a Pokémon that can break through Regenerator cores. Choice Specs grants Galarian Articuno immediate power to break through said defensive cores with its high-powered STABs backed up by a high Special Attack. U-Turn allows Articuno to pivot out of unfavorable situations while retaining momentum for the team. Shadow Ball is Galarian Articuno's only form of coverage; the move allows it to hit Aegislash for super-effective damage while also hitting other Steel-types for neutral damage. Much like the Calm Mind set, Dark- and Steel-types checks make good teammates for Articuno so it could fulfill its job more smoothly.

Other Options:
Articuno-Galar can also run a Choice Scarf set to revenge-kill faster threats it has a type advantage such as Urshifu and Gengar.
Psyshock can be used over Freezing Glare as itsPsychic STAB to hit special walls such as Blissey harder.

Last edited:
Good catch. Edited the OP. Slipped through my mind probably because it's a Psychic-type. Thanks.

Added mentions of Psyshock in the OP. I still think Freezing Glare is overall better due to the higher BP but that may change over the course of the metagame.
No problemo. I've been toying around with Galarian Articuno and taking a look at what it could possibly do. I like the offensive Calm Mind set, though Shadow Ball could be ran over Recover to hit Aegislash a little harder. However, other than that + Jirachi, Hurricane actually hits just as hard as Shadow Ball, even when resisted. The metagame's still developing, so I'll try toying with this bird a little more. Def my favorite so far.

Articuno-Galar @ Grassy Seed
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Hurricane

Interesting set I've seen used. The idea is to pair Articuno with either Tapu-Bulu or Rillaboom and have the grassy seed give you a defence boost which not only increases your Stored Power damage but also makes setting up Calm Minds a much easier task.

Last edited:
Articuno-Galar @ Grassy Seed
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Hurricane

Interesting set I've seen used. The idea is to pair Articuno with either Tapu-Bulu or Rillaboom and have the grassy seed give you a defence boost which not only increases your Stored Power damage but also makes setting up Calm Minds a much easier task.
I think this set should be listed with Air Slash slashed with Hurricane (the improved accuracy can be a game changer). The set can muscle through many defensive cores and has an easier time setting up due to Grassy Seed.

While I don't think it's the best it can run, a pivot set with Future Sight could work. It has the second strongest Future Sight in the tier, third if you count Pokemon that are flat out unviable at the moment, and most if not all of those users aren't in the position to fill a pivot role. It has access to a pivoting move in U-turn, and recovery in Recover, while sporting acceptable 90/85/100 bulk with okay defensive typing, and a reasonable 95 speed tier. I think it can come in on resisted attacks, fire off a nuke of a Future Sight, then U-turn out into an appropriate switch in, possibly a strong breaker that can threaten Steels and Dark types that want to eat the Future Sight. Furthermore, I don't know how Future Sight is affected by stat boosts, but if it is and you get it in on a Defog, now the opponent has to face down a +2 Future Sight coming off of base 125 SpA. That's scary. Anyway, rambling aside here's what I think the set would be:

EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe or 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest / Timid Nature
- Future Sight
- Recover
- U-turn
- Air Slash / Hurricane / Filler

I think max HP is necessary in order to fill this role. I feel like Air Slash would be best on the Timid set while Hurricane could be better on the Modest sets to make more use of that extra firepower. I should note I haven't actually used this yet, it's just a theorymon, but I do plan to try it out later this week.

Slowbro definitely fills the role of Future Sight pivot MUCH better than Garticuno would but regardless, I do think that this could work.

EDIT: As pointed out by DrPumpkinz below I should have Recover. I knew it had recovery and just assumed Roost, cause y'know, bird lol. I also changed the EVs because outspeeding Modest Heatran isn't really as relevant as I postulated, you'd get blown away by it anyway. I'm sure there are some benchmarks you could tech into speed if you wanted to run Modest though.

Last edited:
While I don't think it's the best it can run, a pivot set with Future Sight could work. It has the second strongest Future Sight in the tier, third if you count Pokemon that are flat out unviable at the moment, and most if not all of those users aren't in the position to fill a pivot role. It has access to a pivoting move in U-turn, and recovery in Roost, while sporting acceptable 90/85/100 bulk with okay defensive typing, and a reasonable 95 speed tier. I think it can come in on resisted attacks, fire off a nuke of a Future Sight, then U-turn out into an appropriate switch in, possibly a strong breaker that can threaten Steels and Dark types that want to eat the Future Sight. Furthermore, I don't know how Future Sight is affected by stat boosts, but if it is and you get it in on a Defog, now the opponent has to face down a +2 Future Sight coming off of base 125 SpA. That's scary. Anyway, rambling aside here's what I think the set would be:

EVs: 248 HP / 148 SpA / 112 Spe or 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe or 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest / Timid Nature
- Future Sight
- Roost
- U-turn
- Air Slash / Hurricane / Filler

I think max HP is necessary in order to fill this role. The EVs in the first set are to ensure you always outspeed max speed Modest Heatran so you can Future Sight on it and then U-turn out of the Magma Storm. Alternatively you can just run max / max. I feel like Air Slash would be best on the Timid set while Hurricane could be better on the Modest sets to make more use of that extra firepower. I should note I haven't actually used this yet, it's just a theorymon, but I do plan to try it out later this week.

Slowbro definitely fills the role of Future Sight pivot MUCH better than Garticuno would but regardless, I do think that this could work.
None of the Galar Bird trio gets Roost. However, Articuno does get Recover, so this set still works basically the same.

Magmajudis

Title pending
Here's a set I've using lately that I think is good.

Articuno-Galar @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Freezing Glare
- Reflect
- Light Screen

The idea is to lead with it, and place the screens (which make this thing really hard to kill). Recover makes it last longer in te match, and since it's made to be a lead, it can punish heavily Landorus-T lead with it's ability. What do you think of this set ? It's biggest con is that it can get killed easily with supperefective moves if it didn't place the screens yet, i think.

I seemed to have some solid results when I teamed this pokemon with a pokemon that had the ability drizzle. That way it's Hurricane was 100% accuracy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)