Denied Article Submission: Should You Use That Lingo? (Name under works)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello. I'm submitting my article suggestion as an article called "Should You Use That Lingo?" based around if you should use a certain phrase (ie tbh, check, counter, imo) etc and replacements to use if you're not using the proper one

"SYUTL?"

Experience on the subject:
Diverse knowledge on the various slang terms used on PS, as well as the battling terms
I text. A lot. XD
I worked on a similar grammar-esque group back on Pokemon Online focused on helping those use proper terminology when battling or talking to friends

Outline:
-What the Article will be about: Brief intro
-Example 1: commonly used incorrect phrase, and what you should use instead
-Example 2: as above
-Example 3: as above
-Example 4: as above
-Example 5: as above
-Get Out There!: "Thanks for reading, hope I helped, go apply it" etc.
I do have good grammar, but I will still need a good amount of Grammar Checking. I don't believe I will need a co author, and if I am allowed access into the Kiln for writing this story, I should have it done in a short amount of time. I think this ideas are unique, original, and can be very beneficial to the webzine. Thanks for reading this. :D

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, can you write like a short sample just so we can get a better feel of what direction you're going with this? It'd really help make the decision process easier!

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just out of curiosity, can you write like a short sample just so we can get a better feel of what direction you're going with this? It'd really help make the decision process easier!
Not a problem. (excuse ass grammar it's 6 in morning)

When referring to someone not by their device, don't use: brb

All too often I see people saying that a certain user is "brb". While this can sometimes be used en passing, it is often incorrect. The given user that has left will say "brb" because he will in fact "be right back", where if you say "User X is brb", you're really saying "User X is be right back." This can lead to confusion around who actually is gone and not.

Instead, use: afk

When someone is "afk" it means that they are "away from (k)omputer/(k)onsole. Although the time aspect varies in contrast to "brb", which is meant to be a short time period, it is much more correct to say that "User X is afk", you're saying exactly what you want to: "User X is away from whatever device they were using."

obviously, each one will be much longer but I'm kinda stressed for time rn, so that's just a little sample. Other terms I can cover include grammatical mismatches (their v they're v there) and battle terms (pivot v wall, check v counter) etc. Hope that you all enjoy the idea.

Tagging Vacate here to make the call, since this is rather difficult to make a judgement on, and Antemortem and I currently aren't sure where we stand on it.

I don't really see this as a very interesting / useful article. User is brb doesn't really bring about any confusion and as SteelEdges said, afk is away from keyboard. Nice to see you're interested in writing though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)