• Cupid unlocks Potential

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cupid creates Love

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Cupid creates Lust

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
Hi Smogon!
I have this Greek Mythology Project, and I decided to talk about the God of Love, Eros (or better known as Cupid).
As you know, Cupid shoots arrows at people, and makes them fall in love with other people. As we were discussing the myths in class, my classmate brought up a very interesting point:
Are victims of Eros actually in Love (Love is pretty hard to explain >_>, the person's personality maybe?) or are they just LUSTing for the other person? (This would mean that they just want to have their body or something, outer appearences)
I thought about this for a while, and I was wondering about your view on this.

1) Do people have like this "potential" to love jsut anybody? Do Cupid's arrows unlock this "potential"?
2) If not, does Cupid's arrows create real love, or something more similar to lust?

This is a quote about Cupid I read in a myth about him falling in love
"f Venus had not first shown him Psyche, never thinking in her jealous rage what such beauty might do even to the God of Love himself. As he looked down uon her it was as if he had shot one of his arrows into his own heart" (Hamilton 97).

It mentions how beauty caused him to fall in love. This would suggest it would be Lust. Please note, however, the Greeks valued beauty and love diffferently than how we might.

Cupid's arrow was basically strong infatuation, sort of like when you have a huge crush on someone at work, which is oft mistaken for love when it's powerful enough.

You should check here and specifically here and here to give you a good start on what you're looking to accomplish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)