Arboliva

Disclaimer: this is my first analysis, it is probably not good, pls give feedback.

1670836020659.png

:sv/arboliva:
Type: Normal Grass
Base Stats: 78 HP / 69 Atk / 90 Def / 125 SpA / 109 SpD / 39 Spe
Abilities: Harvest (get berries) / Seed Sower (grassy terrain)
Seed Sower: Sets up Grassy Terrain when a Pokemon with this ability is hit (It does not work on Substitutes)
Notable Moves:
  • Special: Leaf Storm, Earth Power, Giga Drain, Hyper Voice, Weather Ball, Tera Blast, Terrain Pulse, Dazzling Gleam
  • Status: Memento, Strength Sap, Synthesis, Leech Seed, Encore, Growth

Pros:
really powerful special attacks
it has good bulk
it has good coverage in Earth Power and Dazzling Gleam
It can run Tera Blast without terestalising since it will always be STAB and Special

Cons:
it's slow and it has a lot of weaknesses
grass has 7 resists
Normal Grass just isn't a good typing

Terestalising Potential:

Offensively, Arboliva can use Fire for steel types or Grass/Normal to boost STAB, it can also boost Dazzling Gleam/ Earth Power
Tera Fire is great for Steel Hydreigon, Tinkaton (to resist Gigaton), and Flare Blitz users, while Tera Electric gives you a way to instakill Talonflame and Pelipper. Tera Rock inverts all of Arboliva's weaknesses except Ice and Fighting.
All have semi-synergy with Grassy Terrain, making Earthquakes neutral hits.
Tera Ghost means you can (relatively) safely bait in Lucario and Barraskewa Close Combats, are immune to Pawmot's main STAB, and don't care about ExtremeSpeed.

Sets:

Peace was never an option @ Choice Specs
Ability: Seed Sower
Tera Type: Fire / Grass / Normal
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Leaf Storm
- Tera Blast / Dazzling Gleam

Tera Blast can be used if you are planning to terestalise Arboliva while Dazzling Gleam makes sure Hydreigon, Salamence, Iron Jugulis and Slither Wing can't switch in.

I miss Custap @ Salac Berry
Ability: Harvest
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature or Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Endure
- Leaf Storm / Synthesis / Strength Sap
- Energy Ball / Earth Power
- Tera Blast / Earth Power

This is for sun teams. Salac Berry activates twice if you use endure, then you can recover some health with Synthesis / Strength Sap or KO something to survive, and then endure again for another speed boost. What ever you do, don't use it on non-sun team, it is terrible everywhere else.

Timid hits 388 after 2 salac berries, outspeeding everything below base 130 at base speed
Modest hits 354 after berries, which is enough to outspeed up to base 110

Stoliv (Arboliva) @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD or 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Calm Nature or Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect / Substitute
- Strength Sap / Tera Blast
- Tera Blast / Giga Drain / Earth Power / Pollen Puff

This is pretty funny
Leech Seed + Grassy Terrain + Leftovers = a lot of health
Substitute can be used here but it doesn't set up grassy terrain and the last move ensures arboliva doesn't become taunt bait
Personally I prefer Pollen Puff as it ensures you do not become useless against other grass types.
Alternatively you can use Sitrus Berry + Harvest which is good with Substitute

bonk machine (Arboliva) @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Energy Ball
- Dazzling Gleam / Tera Blast
- Earth Power
- Strength Sap

Energy Ball hits plenty hard and has no drawbacks, unlike Leaf Storm, and Giga Drain doesn't threaten nearly as much. Rocky Helmet chip is incredibly useful right now, but Lefties is absolutely more consistent.

Teams with Arboliva:

:arboliva: :skuntank: :naclstack: :altaria: :forretress: :dachsbun:

This is a stall team which uses a main core of Arboliva, Skuntank, Naclstack and Altaria.
Arboliva mainly spams leech seed and protect to heal the others while occasionally using pollen puff against grass types.
Skuntank serves as a special wall which can beat Espathra with haze and use toxic to chip down the opponent's team
Naclstack resists almost everything that hits Arboliva super effectively and Grassy Terrain + Leech Seed makes it burn through recover PP slower.
Altaria allows me to beat fighting types like Barraskewda and Slither Wing and is hazard control for the team
This team is missing hazards so I used Forretress and Dachsbun is there for extra recovery and to beat Goodra and fire types

Last edited:
I will mention that Terastalizing Arboliva is probably the worst decision you can make, particularly offensively thanks to that typing being one of the most of all time and its stats not being great, but I think bulky offensive Arboliva is the way to go with it, in experience:

Modest Nature
- Energy Ball
- Earth Power
- Strength Sap

Tera Ghost means you can (relatively) safely bait in Lucario and Barraskewa Close Combats, are immune to Pawmot's main STAB, and don't care about ExtremeSpeed. Energy Ball hits plenty hard and has no drawbacks, unlike Leaf Storm, and Giga Drain doesn't threaten nearly as much. Rocky Helmet chip is incredibly useful right now, but Lefties is absolutely more consistent.

On the Choice Specs set, you don't at all want to give Salamence or Hydreigon a free switch, and I heavily recommend slashing Dazzling Gleam over Tera Blast in order to smack them something new. Tera Blast is useful and is STAB, but it doesn't hit much Arboliva's coverage doesn't already smack + with Grassy Terrain even resists to Energy Ball or Leaf Storm will take similar if not more damage.

Tera Fire is great for Steel Hydreigon, Tinkaton (to resist Gigaton), and Flare Blitz users, while Tera Electric gives you a way to instakill Talonflame and Pelipper. Both have semi-synergy with Grassy Terrain, making Earthquakes neutral hits.

Also, the Salac set is pretty awful thanks to Arboliva's so incredibly terrible speed that at +1 it still won't even match base 100s with neutral nature.

I will mention that Terastalizing Arboliva is probably the worst decision you can make, particularly offensively thanks to that typing being one of the most of all time and its stats not being great, but I think bulky offensive Arboliva is the way to go with it, in experience:

Modest Nature
- Energy Ball
- Earth Power
- Strength Sap

Tera Ghost means you can (relatively) safely bait in Lucario and Barraskewa Close Combats, are immune to Pawmot's main STAB, and don't care about ExtremeSpeed. Energy Ball hits plenty hard and has no drawbacks, unlike Leaf Storm, and Giga Drain doesn't threaten nearly as much. Rocky Helmet chip is incredibly useful right now, but Lefties is absolutely more consistent.

On the Choice Specs set, you don't at all want to give Salamence or Hydreigon a free switch, and I heavily recommend slashing Dazzling Gleam over Tera Blast in order to smack them something new. Tera Blast is useful and is STAB, but it doesn't hit much Arboliva's coverage doesn't already smack + with Grassy Terrain even resists to Energy Ball or Leaf Storm will take similar if not more damage.

Tera Fire is great for Steel Hydreigon, Tinkaton (to resist Gigaton), and Flare Blitz users, while Tera Electric gives you a way to instakill Talonflame and Pelipper. Both have semi-synergy with Grassy Terrain, making Earthquakes neutral hits.

Also, the Salac set is pretty awful thanks to Arboliva's so incredibly terrible speed that at +1 it still won't even match base 100s with neutral nature.
I agree, that Salac set is not that good, scovillain is way better, but in sun it gets +2 because after endure and eating the salac berry, it gets another salac berry for +2

Bulky offensive Arboliva seems to be a good idea, it is kind of like a middle ground between leech seed and choice specs sets and i think it might be better than choice specs because you can switch moves

I'll be updating this thread with this feedback

Arboliva @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Tera Blast

Been using this arboliva set and im liking this specially in doubles...Tera fire to threaten steel types specially Gholdengo and grass type and tera grass mons that is immune to leech seed. I prefer sitrus berry over salac because it activates much more earlier so u can abuse harvest. I think stalling is pretty fun and annoying with harvest and pair it with someone like rage powder amoongus to avoid weaknesses until substitute and leech seed has been set and ur good to go.

Moutemoute

Error 404
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Arboliva @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Tera Blast

Been using this arboliva set and im liking this specially in doubles...Tera fire to threaten steel types specially Gholdengo and grass type and tera grass mons that is immune to leech seed. I prefer sitrus berry over salac because it activates much more earlier so u can abuse harvest. I think stalling is pretty fun and annoying with harvest and pair it with someone like rage powder amoongus to avoid weaknesses until substitute and leech seed has been set and ur good to go.
You're in the UU subforum, thus talking about doubles or Gholdengo (or [Rage Powder] Amoonguss) isn't revelant since those doesn't apply in UU. Also you're EVs spread is not great at all. Arboliva doesn't have high HP to justify running max EVs in both defense (unlike something like Chansey and Blissey). You should focus on either the Defense or Special Defense and maximize the HP with your EVs.

You should go here if you want to talk about DOU or BSS :
https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/battle-stadium-singles.532/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/doubles-ou.729/

Arboliva has many assets as a pokemon but doesn't perform well. It has many common weaknesses such as Flying, Bug and fighting which make it really easy to threaten out. It decent bulk and recovery only go so far to mitigate its issues. It can hit most things very hard outside of may be Brambleghast and Goodra. It can capitalize on many of the ground types around such as Gastrodon and pairs well with Toxic Spikes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)