SS OU Aquatic Dysphoria

Ox the Fox

is a Tiering Contributorwon the 8th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Smogon Charity Bowl IV Winner

Introduction

Hey everyone, I'm here to post an RMT of what I believe to be my most successful team of SS OU. This is a team I made right before the Zamazenta suspect which ended up being extremely successful at first, climbing up to #1 going 22-1 on top ladder. I then reached top 8 of OU Majors using this team + another sand every round, and then also reached the finals of an SS OU Smogon Tour with just this team. These same 6 have also been used a lot in WCOP, along with slight variations with 1-2 mons being different. Finally, I used this team in one of the biggest stages possible, WCOP Finals Tiebreaker, and managed to secure a victory. Some of the sets have changed throughout the meta, but these 6 mons have stayed the same ever since I built it. It features one of my favorite offensive cores of Slowking-g + Urshifu, a solid hazard/defensive backbone, and an extremely powerful cleaner in Weavile. Overall, the team has the potential to outplay any bad matchup and is very representative of what bulky offense looked like around WCOP, which is why I've chosen to RMT it.

:Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: :Slowking-Galar: :Ferrothorn: :Landorus-Therian: :Tornadus-Therian: :Weavile:
In Depth Analysis:

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Surging Strikes
- U-turn
- Aqua Jet

Anyone who knows me knows how much I love Urshifu - I think it's the single best pokemon on the ladder, while also a phenomonal choice in tourneys. It breaks past so many defensive cores while also providing temporary switchin versus mons like Weavile and Melmetal. The main pokemon that Urshifu has issue getting past is Toxapex, but it's still able to get past it with future sight + hazard support. It's also helped out by the knock off support from Ferrothorn and Weavile, as they both knock off rocky helmet from Corviknight, and Weavile can knock off Tapu Fini's leftovers and make it that much easier for Urshifu to get past it. I've opted for aqua jet on the last slot mostly to help versus Volcarona, but it's also just a nice option to kill weakened offensive mons. Ice punch and thunder punch are also both usable in the last slot, but tend to be more inconsistent.

Slowking-Galar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 124 SpA / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Future Sight
- Sludge Bomb / Psychic / Earthquake
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam​

Slowking-G has been one of my favorite mons for a while, with this team being a huge part of why I love it so much. Future Sight is one of the best moves in the game, as it gives you a move to click when you don't have an obvious way of making progress. I like to view it as storing value to be used in the future, where a defensive gking answer like Blissey, Heatran, or Tyranitar come in on fsight and are immediately threatened by Urshifu hard switching in and taking advantage of the fsight the next turn. This is one of the best ways of making progress vs any defensive team, along with gking's coverage being incredibly scary to switch into. I've opted for sludge/flame/ice beam coverage on this team as it lets me hit the widest range of targets. Flamethrower and ice beam are both crucial, with the former hitting steels like Ferrothorn and Corviknight, and the latter hitting mons such as Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Dragapult. Sludge bomb can be dropped for either psychic to help vs light screen Toxapex and Urshifu, or earthquake for Heatran, but I think sludge bomb is overall best on this team as a great spammable stab that can poison + something to hit Tapu Lele and Clefable hard. The EV spread runs 12 defense to ensure it always lives surging strikes from band Urshifu, 120 spdf to always live 2 specs Dragapult shadow ball, and the rest is dumped into special attack. You can alternatively run a modest spread to deal more damage, but it makes various special attackers such as Dragapult and Kyurem more annoying to deal with.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Iron Head​

Probably the most annoying pokemon to play against, Ferrothorn gives this team an answer to a plethora of threats and provides spikes support for Urshifu and Weavile. The EV spread has changed a lot throughout the duration of this team, but in the current Weavile meta a fully physically defensive spread is best. Spikes, knock off, and leech seed are all essential moves on Ferrothorn, with the 4th slot being a bit of a toss up. Iron head is the best option on this team as it gives you a consistent answer to CM Clefable, a strong move vs Weavile, and a decently strong neutral hit on a lot of things. I tend to play Ferrothorn pretty aggressively with this team, prioritizing knock off and spikes early game rather than using leech seed to keep Ferrothorn healthy - although this will be crucial in fatter matchups.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 29 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

It's no surprise that the best pokemon in the metagame finds its way onto this team. I think at this point everyone knows what Landorus-T does - it gets up rocks, checks half the tier, and can pivot around. It also serves as this team's electric immunity, being a great check for Zeraora and Tapu Koko. A spdf Lando-T spread is a lot better in this meta, as it lets you better check Heatran, Dragapult, and Tapu Koko. For physical threats such as Garchomp and Melmetal you have ways other than just Lando-T to deal with them, the former can be revenge killed by Weavile and the latter can be checked by Ferrothorn. 29 speed IVs is used to undercreep other Lando-T so you can u-turn out after them. Lastly, I've opted for knock off over toxic here as I like early item removal on Corviknight and opposing Lando-T, but toxic is a perfectly valid move to use here.

Tornadus-Therian @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave / Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog​

The mon that seemingly never dies, Tornadus-t is the team's defogger of choice. Not only does it defog, but it also fills several crucial roles of being a grass-type check, revenge killer, and being incredibly hard to kill in conjunction with Slowking-G. Not having knock off on the set might seem a bit weird, but it's usual targets of Corviknight, Toxapex, and Landorus-T can be knocked off by Ferrothorn and our own Lando. Opposing Slowking-G are definitely more annoying with knock, so I've thought about dropping hurricane or heat wave for knock off, however dropping hurricane makes the Urshifu matchup extremely annoying. If you're going to drop something, it should be heat wave. While, heat wave is great here for hitting Ferrothorn, Corviknight, and Kartana without risking a miss, you can definitely play without it and run knock off instead.

Weavile @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Triple Axel
- Ice Shard​

To round off the team we have Weavile, the most broken OU mon. This mon is fantastic right now - after a swords dance it becomes extremely tough to switch into. Adamant triple axel is the name of the game right now, as it's able to OHKO Clefable at +2 and also kill would-be counters like Corviknight and Buzzwole with just a little chip. One of the main reasons Weavile is so good right now is because of how easily its able to chip its own checks to win later in the game. For example, Urshifu seems like a great answer but it can only switch into it twice, without hazards, before it dies at +2. I've opted for adamant on this team as the extra damage is useful for breaking past previously mentioned answers, and also for giving a 56.3% chance to kill 0 def Heatran after rocks. A jolly set is reasonable if you want more insurance for Tornadus-T, but please don't make it icicle crash. The damage difference between crash and axel is huge and it's not like crash is that much more reliable (72.9% to hit all 3 axels vs 85% to hit crash). I like to view axel as hitting three 90% moves in a row, rather than hitting one 73% move as it just feels easier to accomplish, and it's important to remember there's still damage done when only hitting one or two times.

:Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: :Slowking-Galar: :Ferrothorn: :Landorus-Therian: :Tornadus-Therian: :Weavile:

Conclusion

Overall, I hope you have as much fun playing this team as I've had in the past few months. The team obviously has some difficult matchups - but there's nothing you'll have no chance of outplaying. I also think this is a great team for learning different aspects of mons like abusing regen, how to use hazard stack, and how to set up for a late game sweeper. This has been one of my favorite teams for a while and I'm glad I've finally RMT'd it.

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Surging Strikes
- U-turn
- Aqua Jet

Slowking-Galar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 124 SpA / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Future Sight
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Iron Head

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 29 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Tornadus-Therian @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Defog

Weavile @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Triple Axel
- Ice Shard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)