April 7* Raid: Samurott (Tera Bug)

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've mostly been joining random raids with this support Gardevoir set, and had a few dozen successes with it to max out on tera shards:

:xy/gardevoir:
Gardevoir @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Trace
Bold Nature, HP/Def
- Will-O-Wisp
- Heal Pulse
- Charm
- Helping Hand

There's one important caveat of timing you should be aware of if you use this set. At the start of battle, when everyone gets sent out and the ability popups happen, you see your own ability popup with a standard duration, but most other ability popups appear and disappear more quickly. So I'll see the popup for Trace, then for Shell Armor, and the text message about tracing the ability, all with their normal duration, and then Samurott will use Focus Energy after it's all done. But everyone else will see the popups go away in just a second or so, and they'll see the Focus Energy animation start, and finish, sooner than it does for me. This means that if one of the teammates is dead-set on rushing to get the first move in as fast as possible, they are sure to be able to do so faster than I can possibly use Will-O-Wisp, and if Samurott's first retaliation against that player (plus the possible Bulldoze if move 1 was a damaging move) ends up immediately KOing them before I can put the burn in place, the timer drain will see to it that the shield comes out immediately, and Will-O-Wisp will then fail. Any time that happens, it doesn't bode well for the success of the raid. Even with other players also using entrance abilities (Koraidon, Gyarados, sometimes Corviknight), the fact that Trace's mechanics go through 2 popups instead of 1 means the shortening of the Trace ability popups has a bigger effect on them than their popups do for me, and I'll still get held back from the move menu later than anyone else, if they're not patient.

All of Samurott's moves are 100% criticals except Bulldoze and Megahorn, unless we have one of the abilities that blocks them (big thanks to Samurott for bringing one of those abilities itself, so it can be traced off!) For everyone else who likely didn't bring those abilities, it's awkward because attack drops and screens won't do any damage reduction whatsoever against criticals. If a supporter is going to provide any form of damage reduction for the others, the ways we have of doing this are very limited, and mainly consist of burn, and blue cheers. Even criticals still have to respect the effects of those, hopefully keeping the team alive longer so the timer doesn't drain quite so fast. Once the Swords Dance is up, Charm can also cancel that out to go back to +0, but any reductions into the negatives are only likely to affect the damage for me.

With the burn in place, Megahorn (the only move Samurott will want to pick) does less than 25%, and a blue cheer knocks that down further, enough that my own health isn't an immediate concern and I can figure out the most effective thing to do with the partners I have. Sometimes WOW misses, of course, but there's a bit of a saving grace here in that if everyone else is going for a setup nuke with moves like Screech (and yes, you'll even see some Belly Drums in these raids because of course you will), missing WOW means there's no burn damage. If there's also no damage from anyone else, that means Bulldoze doesn't come out yet and I get another shot fairly quickly, without having to wait through that long animation with all the sequential stat drop messages.

Once the shield goes up, if there's not a blue cheer up yet, obviously getting that is the first priority. Otherwise it's a case of looking around and seeing who needs Helping Hand or Heal Pulse the most--if the damage is spread out all around, it'll have to be a green cheer instead, but Heal Pulse is preferred where possible due to the lack of randomness, and larger supply. To that end, Covert Cloak as the item accomplishes very little, but preventing the stat drop from Bulldoze has the effect that all Heal Pulses (and after the shield is gone, reapplying burns) outspeed Samurott's moves, just as cheers always do, so if things get really awkward I can at least take a sack and still get off one last move beforehand.

Other niche mechanics I can do...if Ceruledge shows up to a raid, that's probably not ideal, but once I have the light cover in place so it's not being shot down so easily, I'll typically throw a Will-O-Wisp their way, to turn on Flash Fire. This is effectively a permanent Helping Hand for the rest of the battle, giving them more damage (and therefore more recovery) with the Bitter Blade spam which is presumably why they brought that pick in the first place. Hopefully that makes their slot lower maintenance so I get some time to check on the other two. For a while, I used to run Skill Swap instead of Charm, with the idea being that I could donate the traced Shell Armor to an ally who could really use it, then steal the original from the boss itself. But things rarely went smoothly enough that there was time for three moves pre-shield, and being stranded without critical immunity when the shield is up defeats the point of the set. It was also possible to do cheeky stuff like repeatedly swap Intimidate to get stat drops that worked even through the shield, but this was not only reliant on having an Intimidate partner, it also used up several turns where one or the other of us lacked immunity, so the stat drops weren't all that useful anyway (see above).

There are a few other supporters I can see make use of the "steal boss's ability" function. Stantler is an intriguing one that gets both Role Play and Skill Swap, which seems redundant but there's a niche for running both moves at once. You can Role Play to steal Shell Armor without giving back an Intimidate that your physical-attacking teammates (other than Defiant Annihilape) might not like, then Skill Swap with a teammate and Role Play an extra copy of the ability back from them, instead of from the boss (which would fail if it's shield time already). In this manner, you can even extend the critical immunity to multiple teammates if you want, though it's impossible to swap with stuff like Koraidon or Iron Hands, and you don't want to overwrite Anger Point until you're sure there are no more poz-wipes coming (and by then your teammate should be in striking range of the finishing blow anyway). Stantler can also use Sand Attack, which isn't as good as Mud-Slap but...hey, that's another way that it's possible to protect your teammates, get them to fish for misses every turn. And oh yeah, Stantler gets to take advantage of Eviolite too, so it shrugs off pretty much everything. Polteageist lets you swap to take Shell Armor and give back a much Weaker kind of Armor, so the boss can perpetuate its own defense drops thereafter. However, giving them speed boosts at the same time might not be such a good idea, because if your teammates suddenly start getting outsped and KO'd before they can move at all, that's just going to bleed clock. Being even more physically frail than Gardevoir, with an outright weakness to Night Slash, isn't great either, even if you can heal back with Strength Sap and get some stat drops at the same time (which, again, only really make a difference for you, not the teammates). Having to use the first turn to steal the critical immunity, instead of getting it for free with Trace, is such a big cost.
Love this write-up!

By the way, do we know if the boss stat clears the players, do the cheers get wiped too?

Blue cheers being in place is a critical detail—
I’ve found Red Cheer when Tauros-A pre-tera is great to help break the shield (you don’t care about crit when still a fighting type), and blue cheer while terrastelized post shied—

But curious if the Red cheer used during shield is still there after the shield goes down/2nd stat wipe

Last edited:
A cheer lasts for 3 turns per Pokemon and it seems that's the only check; cheer status will retain if you faint and come back before your time's up.

:Tauros-paldea-fire:

Public Service Announcement to those who use Fire Tauros online with randoms.

Please stop using Tail Whip turn 1. That’s the solo strategy. You’re better off using Flame Charge turn 1 so you bypass the Speed drop from Bulldoze. It’s also optimal to be running this Pokémon alongside Koraidon. Not only does it set up Sun for you, it’ll Screech for you, as well, meaning you don’t have to waste time with Tail Whip and you can just start using Raging Bull to heal yourself with Shell Bell. You actually won’t wipe if played correctly and have competent teammates.

Edit: I'd also recommend going with this spread:

Tauros-Paldea-Blaze @ Shell Bell
Ability: Anger Point
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 104 HP / 152 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Flame Charge
- Tail Whip
- Sunny Day
- Raging Bull

With Sun up, Samurott won't go for Aqua Cutter and will instead opt for Drill Run. The defensive bulk ensures Drill Run is always a 3HKO when it crits, and +2 Drill Run won't OHKO you from full. Only use Tail Whip after the shield breaks.

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Edit: I'd also recommend going with this spread:

Tauros-Paldea-Blaze @ Shell Bell
Ability: Anger Point
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Atk / 112 Def
Impish Nature
- Flame Charge
- Tail Whip
- Sunny Day
- Raging Bull

With Sun up, Samurott won't go for Aqua Cutter and will instead opt for Drill Run. The defensive bulk ensures Drill Run is always a 3HKO when it crits, and +2 Drill Run won't OHKO you from full. Only use Tail Whip after the shield breaks.
If we're going Full Optimization, then 104 HP / 152 Atk / 252 Def is outright better. It is pretty much exactly as functionally bulky vs Drill Run, is bulkier vs any Aqua Cutters, hits slightly harder, and heals more percentagewise via Shell Bell which is vaguely relevant while while shield is up.
also it uses 35 hp up+iron as opposed to 36 so it saves you 10k

0+ Atk Tera Bug Samurott Drill Run vs. 104 HP / 252+ Def Tauros-Paldea-Blaze on a critical hit: 134-158 (42.2 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0+ Atk Tera Bug Samurott Aqua Cutter vs. 104 HP / 252+ Def Tauros-Paldea-Blaze on a critical hit: 174-206 (54.8 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0+ Atk Tera Bug Samurott Aqua Cutter vs. 104 HP / 252+ Def Tauros-Paldea-Blaze in Sun on a critical hit: 84-102 (26.4 - 32.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
--
0+ Atk Tera Bug Samurott Drill Run vs. 252 HP / 112+ Def Tauros-Paldea-Blaze on a critical hit: 148-176 (41.8 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0+ Atk Tera Bug Samurott Aqua Cutter vs. 252 HP / 112+ Def Tauros-Paldea-Blaze on a critical hit: 198-234 (55.9 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0+ Atk Tera Bug Samurott Aqua Cutter vs. 252 HP / 112+ Def Tauros-Paldea-Blaze in Sun on a critical hit: 98-116 (27.6 - 32.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

If we're going Full Optimization, then 104 HP / 152 Atk / 252 Def is outright better. It is pretty much exactly as functionally bulky vs Drill Run, is bulkier vs any Aqua Cutters, hits slightly harder, and heals more percentagewise via Shell Bell which is vaguely relevant while while shield is up.
also it uses 35 hp up+iron as opposed to 36 so it saves you 10k

0+ Atk Tera Bug Samurott Drill Run vs. 104 HP / 252+ Def Tauros-Paldea-Blaze on a critical hit: 134-158 (42.2 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0+ Atk Tera Bug Samurott Aqua Cutter vs. 104 HP / 252+ Def Tauros-Paldea-Blaze on a critical hit: 174-206 (54.8 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0+ Atk Tera Bug Samurott Aqua Cutter vs. 104 HP / 252+ Def Tauros-Paldea-Blaze in Sun on a critical hit: 84-102 (26.4 - 32.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
--
0+ Atk Tera Bug Samurott Drill Run vs. 252 HP / 112+ Def Tauros-Paldea-Blaze on a critical hit: 148-176 (41.8 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0+ Atk Tera Bug Samurott Aqua Cutter vs. 252 HP / 112+ Def Tauros-Paldea-Blaze on a critical hit: 198-234 (55.9 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0+ Atk Tera Bug Samurott Aqua Cutter vs. 252 HP / 112+ Def Tauros-Paldea-Blaze in Sun on a critical hit: 98-116 (27.6 - 32.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Appreciate that, gonna use this.

Sorry for the double post, but y'all should be alerted to this set.

My Great Capture Screenshot 2023-04-02 14-16-31.png

Trust Me Pls (Venonat) @ Eviolite
Ability: Compound Eyes
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Screech
- Acid Spray
- Sunny Day / Skill Swap
- Morning Sun

I didn't come up with this set, saw it in a Discord server, but bruh this works. Compound Eyes makes Venonat the sole Pokemon in all of Scarlet and Violet with a perfectly-accurate Screech. Acid Spray helps your SpA teammates, Morning Sun for recovery, and either Sunny Day or Skill Swap as your last.

0+ Atk Tera Bug Samurott Aqua Cutter vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Venonat on a critical hit: 91-108 (28 - 33.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO
0+ Atk Tera Bug Samurott Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Venonat on a critical hit: 76-90 (23.4 - 27.7%) -- 86.1% chance to 4HKO

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Here's how winning with the Ditto Raid will work.

Single Player: Bring a Level 100 Pokemon without any attacks for an easy win.
Multiplayer: Have the Host bring a Level 1 anything for an even easier win.

There's no need to theory craft for Multiplayer, but Single Player might be all about making it easy for the AI. (Note: This theroycrafting may be massive overkill. Just use your frailest Level 100 Pokemon and give it moves that don't help Ditto. Pokemon can remember TM moves so you don't have to worry about wasted TMs, only wasted PP Ups.)

Igglybuff's Base 15 Def and 20 SpD are the lowest out of any Pokemon in SV. The Base 90 HP isn't helping Ditto and neither is a moveset of just Helping Hand. Alternatively, and even funnier, Iron Ball with the only move being Disable. You'll go second and Disable their Disable, forcing Struggle.

For allies that can do long term support instead of the "just for this turn" Helping Hand, Howl boosts the Attack of every ally. Shinx has the lowest Defenses out of Howl users, but Rockruff isn't much bulkier and can use Taunt on stupid AI partners. Trust me when I say that's a very good reason to use Rockruff over Shinx. AIs that spam Status Moves against the shield won't stop unless you make them stop. Scream Tail is possibly the worst choice, but if you have a Level 100 one laying around like I do... :P

As nice as Howl is, Scovillain's Spicy Extract may be even better. It gives you a Screech that also boosts their Attack and makes Ditto give your allies a Sword Dance every turn while lowering their useless Defense. Scovillain's Base 65 Defenses are higher than anything else I'm recommending, but still frail enough for easy wins.

The best Pokemon to have Ditto Transform into may actually be one with an attack. Arrokuda looks like the "best" one at first glance. It can't take hits well with its Base 40 Def and 30 SpD, and can't deal much damage with a weak Base 61 Attack. If you make it so it only knows Close Combat, that's Ditto inflicting -6 Defenses on itself in just 2 turns. Makuhita has slightly worse stats with base 60 Atk and 30 Def and SpD but might have Ditto gain STAB. (Not sure how Terastal works with Transform...) The reason I'm sure it's better is it can Taunt the AI in case you get with someone that doesn't attack.

If you really want to KO Ditto yourself, save before starting and use Imprison on turn 1. Reset if you lose the speed tie and they use it first.

Shout outs to anyone that breeds Pokemon with 0 IVs in Atk, Def, and SpD for the Ditto Raids. I'm tempted to breed a Ditto "Slayer" Igglybuff because it's funny.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I thought the “standard” Ditto raid strategy was to bring a Ditto (preferably not an Imposter Ditto, if you want control over your own transform). When the Boss Ditto tries to transform into you, it fails. Then you use Transform to transform into one of your teammates and you all faint the Boss Ditto. It is a can’t-lose strategy, and it works in Solo or Multiplayer. This is how Ditto raids have been played from the beginning of this gen, right? Am I missing something about this upcoming Ditto raid that makes it any different?

I thought the “standard” Ditto raid strategy was to bring a Ditto (preferably not an Imposter Ditto, if you want control over your own transform). When the Boss Ditto tries to transform into you, it fails. Then you use Transform to transform into one of your teammates and you all faint the Boss Ditto. It is a can’t-lose strategy, and it works in Solo or Multiplayer. This is how Ditto raids have been played from the beginning of this gen, right? Am I missing something about this upcoming Ditto raid that makes it any different?
That works in theory, but it's not particularly necessary for Hosting Co-op since the Level 1 Imposter is literally impossible to lose with unless no one acts. In solo that makes more sense, though it depends on having a Partner to transform into that won't be deadweight against the Tera type at least.

Also I have read comments saying they patched that behavior out so Ditto can target other team members to transform into something not useless if Imposter doesn't take.

Another solo strategy for Ditto is to bring a Pokémon that has an immunity to its own moves and abuse Ditto's Tera type against it.

For example, if you're facing a Ditto with Electric type, you could bring a Charizard that only knows Belly Drum and Earthquake.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For the solo, I think I'll bring this against all but Ghost Ditto:
Ceruledge
Ability: Weak Armor
Tera Type: Ghost
Swords Dance
Facade
Close Combat

SD Up, it can't do anything to me, every hit it gets weaker and weaker from Weak Armor. Also the Ditto going to be Close Combating my allies to weaken its own defense.
Choosing to farm at all depends on prizes though... Imma be honest with bottle caps and Mirror Herb around I have bred exactly ZERO Pokemon so far this gen so who cares about IVs?

Choosing to farm at all depends on prizes though... Imma be honest with bottle caps and Mirror Herb around I have bred exactly ZERO Pokemon so far this gen so who cares about IVs?
I have to agree, but I will say one benefit to breeding is giveaways. Can either send some 5IV mons through wonder trade or through giveaways you host or something. Plus, people see value in Pokemon that have naturally good IVs as opposed to hyper trained kinds.

Tbh, GF should be doing the opposite, with 5 guaranteed 0 IVs.

I have to agree, but I will say one benefit to breeding is giveaways. Can either send some 5IV mons through wonder trade or through giveaways you host or something. Plus, people see value in Pokemon that have naturally good IVs as opposed to hyper trained kinds.

Tbh, GF should be doing the opposite, with 5 guaranteed 0 IVs.
My main niche for it is three things

- Giving away Breedjects in rare Balls
- 0 IV build niches
- Shiny Masuda Breeding for species that are a pain to hunt with Sandwiches. Because to hell with trying to inspect Tandemaus or get the right angle on same-color stuff like Paldean Tauros.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wouldn’t a good strat be like, lv 1 Magikarp with Splash and let the teammates rip it up while you cheer?

What everyone will think will happen: no one will properly abuse how Ditto works

What will somehow actually happen: everyone brings trash Pokemon and locks it in and doesn't think for a millisecond how you're supposed to kill things

What everyone will think will happen: no one will properly abuse how Ditto works

What will somehow actually happen: everyone brings trash Pokemon and locks it in and doesn't think for a millisecond how you're supposed to kill things
I cannot wait for the host to bring lvl 100 Koraidon / Miraidon and similar fully trained mons...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)